PDA

View Full Version : A tale of two Sox

Fenway
09-18-2006, 03:21 PM
With 2 weeks left in the 2006 season I can't believe that both of the Sox teams I follow will not make it to the post season. I was certain both would advance to the playoffs and perhaps have a rematch in October. Chicago I thought was a lead pipe cinch to make the playoffs.

You can look at both teams season and there is a common point when it all started to go bad, the 19 inning game just before the all-star break. Both teams were playing well then and both looked poised to have good second halfs. Instead BOTH teams went into the dumper.

Boston you can at least look at key injuries ( especially Veritek ) as the cause, the White Sox I can't really explain.

Another common point, both teams had disasters at Oakland ( 3 game sweeps by the A's ) that pretty much sealed their fate.

At least Chicago is still alive but they need a monster home stand to stay alive.

The Red Sox showed some life against the Yankees this weekend taking 3 of 4 and hopefully they will continue against the Twins.

NoShoesJoe
09-18-2006, 03:29 PM
You're right. It's like, ah, let's see....matter and anti-matter.

QCIASOXFAN
09-18-2006, 03:47 PM
Your right, at least you guys have key injuries to look at. I think Thome and Jenks have been hurt for the last couple weeks but they continue to play (well not Bobby lately because we haven't need him). Other then that I am out of excuses.:(:

Ol' No. 2
09-18-2006, 03:48 PM
With 2 weeks left in the 2006 season I can't believe that both of the Sox teams I follow will not make it to the post season. I was certain both would advance to the playoffs and perhaps have a rematch in October. Chicago I thought was a lead pipe cinch to make the playoffs.

You can look at both teams season and there is a common point when it all started to go bad, the 19 inning game just before the all-star break. Both teams were playing well then and both looked poised to have good second halfs. Instead BOTH teams went into the dumper.

Boston you can at least look at key injuries ( especially Veritek ) as the cause, the White Sox I can't really explain.

Another common point, both teams had disasters at Oakland ( 3 game sweeps by the A's ) that pretty much sealed their fate.

At least Chicago is still alive but they need a monster home stand to stay alive.

The Red Sox showed some life against the Yankees this weekend taking 3 of 4 and hopefully they will continue against the Twins.I'd say it started earlier for the White Sox - late May. It didn't show playing the weak NL Central teams, but that's when the pitching really started going south, and the rest of the team followed.

oeo
09-18-2006, 04:01 PM
I'd say it started earlier for the White Sox - late May. It didn't show playing the weak NL Central teams, but that's when the pitching really started going south, and the rest of the team followed.

I agree, except they did have a couple of good series against the Indians and Tigers at the beginning of June; as well as their 20 run effort against the Cardinals.

Hopefully the Red Sox can sweep the Twinks out of town, and the White ones can sweep the Tigers out of town. That would put us right back into the race, but I doubt it happens. They dug the hole, they have to dig themselves out.

ma-gaga
09-18-2006, 05:21 PM
uh. I thought the Red Sox were doing just fine up to the 'big four game showdown' with the Yankees. Gawd, ESPN was hyping that series as "The Greatest 4 Game Series in the History of Mankind" [/Bill Walton]. That was the season turning point, not some garbage 19 inning game.

And the W.Sox season isn't over yet. I wouldn't compare the two teams. :cool:

SoxFan76
09-18-2006, 05:24 PM
uh. I thought the Red Sox were doing just fine up to the 'big four game showdown' with the Yankees. Gawd, ESPN was hyping that series as "The Greatest 4 Game Series in the History of Mankind" [/Bill Walton]. That was the season turning point, not some garbage 19 inning game.

Amen man. The Red Sox aren't making the postseason, the White Sox are just a long shot to make it. It can still happen though. Don't Stop Believin!

cheezheadsoxfan
09-18-2006, 07:22 PM

The Red Sox showed some life against the Yankees this weekend taking 3 of 4 and hopefully they will continue against the Twins.

Red Sox beating up on the Twinks would make me very :D:

Fenway
09-18-2006, 07:34 PM
Red Sox beating up on the Twinks would make me very :D:

based on the weekend in the Bronx they will try their best

DumpJerry
09-19-2006, 12:04 AM

That was a five game series.