PDA

View Full Version : Why are we so weak in the 2nd half???

SpartanSoxFan
09-18-2006, 01:48 AM
I would like to know why the White Sox historically fade in the 2nd half of the season seemingly each year they play. Even last year they couldn't avoid a mediocre 2nd half. Is it the weather? Is it all psychological? I really can't understand it and that's what makes this season so much more frustrating to endure.

Myrtle72
09-18-2006, 02:01 AM
Good question.

Lip Man 1
09-18-2006, 02:07 AM
I don't know if it's fair to say 'historically' that the Sox fade in the 2nd half but the numbers do say this will mark the 3rd consecutive season under Ozzie where the win percentage will be lower in the 2nd 81 games then in the first.

Lip

chidonez
09-18-2006, 05:25 AM
To put things in perspective, although we did not have a good second half, we play in the most competitive division in baseball. It's baseball! What happened to Boston after they failed to repeat? What happened to Neal Cotts, and Mark Buehrle? The hitting was there, the leadoff spot was not, the closer was there, but the mid-relief was not. And more importantly, the pitching was there when the hitting was not, and vice versa. The lack of a killer instinct was mental, or perhaps due to emotions, or poor training, or fatigue. Who cares... It's baseball. I'm still proud of this team, because I truly believe they tried. They look frustrated to me, but not lazy.

Overall, I think the starting pitching bears most of the blame, but it's too hard for me to jump on a guy like MB, or Contreras, over this. They had an off year. I mean, look at Mark's numbers over the last five! Garland pitched nicely, and Javy was about what I thought he would be. Maybe the Twins wanted it more, and the Tigers got off to a good start.

I love this game in a sick way.

If anything, I hope that the Sox organization has developed an appetite for winning. With any luck, and despite what may happen down the stretch, JR and KW will do what's necessary to put another exciting and competitive team on the field next year.

We're not out of it yet, but if we don't make it, we owe this team some gratitude for making the season interesting. They kept us in it until the end. We could have been Cleveland.

esbrechtel
09-18-2006, 06:19 PM
besides dye, crede, ba, and aj....our offense is not putting up the numbers it was the first half...uribe is batting something like .235 thome has hit 9 homers and on top of that our bullpen is very streaky

Infallible
09-19-2006, 03:24 AM
Our pitching completely fell apart. There was zero consistancy.

aryzner
09-19-2006, 03:34 AM
Because Mark Buehrle can't tarp slide anymore and that kind of fun is what the team needed to stay hot in the 2nd half. :[

DeadMoney
09-19-2006, 03:40 AM
- Baseball's a game of streaks and slumps.
- Pitching and Defense wins championships (and games).
- Funny things happen in baseball.

IMO, all of these sayings can shed light on the poor second half performances over the past 3 years.

Baseball's a bizarre game sometimes and that's what to love AND hate about it. I'm not saying some bizarre misfortunes are the reason for that stat (or this '06 team's heart seemingly disappearing into thin air), but it's certainly a good excuse.

HerzogVon
09-19-2006, 06:41 AM
>>If anything, I hope that the Sox organization has developed an appetite for winning.<<

It appears that this is exactly what didn't happen. As fans, we naturally believe that winning begets winning; that having tasted success, a team will be hungry for more. Unfortunately - as we saw last year with Boston - it seldom works that way. Afterall, most MLB players are just big kids, and kids easily become complacent. Perhaps the sting of this season, of rediscovering just how much easier it is to lose than to win, will be enough to re-instill the hunger that was so missing in 2006? I sure hope so, because this was NOT fun!

{ Hereby declaring a personal moratorium on anti-KW comments, at least for now. Time to move on. }