PDA

View Full Version : 15 Day DL vs. 60 Day DL?

StillMissOzzie
09-18-2006, 01:44 AM
Maybe some of you GM-types out there can answer this question. Why is it that when a player suffers an injury that will likely end their season, it seems that they are first placed on the 15 day DL, and then when those 15 days run out, get transferred over to the 60 day DL? Why not just go straight to the 60 day DL? Are there roster use advantages I am unaware of to do this, when a return in 60 days, let alone 15, is unlikely?

Inquiring minds want to know...

SMO
:?:

Jjav829
09-18-2006, 01:53 AM
Maybe some of you GM-types out there can answer this question. Why is it that when a player suffers an injury that will likely end their season, it seems that they are first placed on the 15 day DL, and then when those 15 days run out, get transferred over to the 60 day DL? Why not just go straight to the 60 day DL? Are there roster use advantages I am unaware of to do this, when a return in 60 days, let alone 15, is unlikely?

Inquiring minds want to know...

SMO
:?:

When a player is placed on the 60-day DL, it frees up a spot on the 40-man roster. Teams usually place players on the 15-day DL until they know for sure how long a player is out. If it becomes obvious that the player will miss the season, or at least two months, then they move him to the 60-day DL to free up a spot on the 40-man roster.

StockdaleForVeep
09-18-2006, 07:03 AM
When a player is placed on the 60-day DL, it frees up a spot on the 40-man roster. Teams usually place players on the 15-day DL until they know for sure how long a player is out. If it becomes obvious that the player will miss the season, or at least two months, then they move him to the 60-day DL to free up a spot on the 40-man roster.

A roster spot is freed regardless of 15\60.

A player is on the 15 day dl, they cannot play any time before those 15 days, also i wanna say there are limits as to how many can be on a dl for 60\15 at one time.

Also i think there are contract issues too, i mean hell, if a gm hated someone, he could 60 day dl him cuz of a hangover which "could lead to worse issues"

goofymsfan
09-18-2006, 08:42 AM

A player is on the 15 day dl, they cannot play any time before those 15 days, also i wanna say there are limits as to how many can be on a dl for 60\15 at one time.

Also i think there are contract issues too, i mean hell, if a gm hated someone, he could 60 day dl him cuz of a hangover which "could lead to worse issues"

A roster spot on the 40 man roster is only freed up when a player is on the 60 day DL. The 15 day DL only frees up a spot on the 25 man roster. In order to be on the 25 man roster you have to be on the 40 man roster. I don't believe there is a limit to the number of players on either DL but it would not be good to have half of a team on the DL. :wink:

Jjav829
09-18-2006, 10:50 AM

Like goofymsfan said, it's a difference between a spot being cleared on the 25-man or 40-man roster, which I guess I didn't explain clearly enough.

The 15-day DL just allows you to add a player off of your 40-man roster to your 25-man roster. The 60-day DL allows you to add a player to your 40-man roster, which can't be done when a player is on the 15-day DL.