PDA

View Full Version : The Matt Thornton Thread

JUribe1989
09-17-2006, 11:35 PM
Matt Thornton has done a fantastic job in the White Sox 'pen all year and IMO is the more reliable reliever on the staff. Even moreso than Jenks. Does anyone have any doubts as to whether Thornton will be on the White Sox next year? I hope that the Sox keep him, and am mostly saying this considering that I have no idea what the status of his contract is. Does anyone have thoughts or ideas as to Thornton's future with the Sox?

Any doubts whether they keep him or not?

Soxfanspcu11
09-17-2006, 11:44 PM
He will be here next year, hands down.

Myrtle72
09-17-2006, 11:55 PM
I am almost certain he will be on the Sox next year.

chisoxmike
09-17-2006, 11:59 PM
Thorton, Jenks, and MacDougal are the only guys in the bullpen that I can see will be back next year. (McCarthy in the rotation)

batmanZoSo
09-18-2006, 12:18 AM
Thorton, Jenks, and MacDougal are the only guys in the bullpen that I can see will be back next year. (McCarthy in the rotation)

The only three that are worth a damn. And despite how they've come through for us, you never know from year to year with relievers so it's paramount that we go into next year stacked in that area in order to avoid the same problems we had in this one.

ondafarm
09-18-2006, 12:22 AM
I think the Sox are looking to make one of their lefty relievers into a starter. As good as Thornton is as a reliver, a second lefty starter would be more valuable.

Beautox
09-18-2006, 12:26 AM
I think the Sox are looking to make one of their lefty relievers into a starter. As good as Thornton is as a reliver, a second lefty starter would be more valuable.

I agree, Matt has gone on record as saying he wants back into the starting rotation, MPH can't be taught but pitches can, that pitch he featured in LAA that was mid 80's with late break was nasty(split?), if he can get command of that pitch he could be a very effective starter, his slider is maso menos, but you mix in his FB, that breaking pitch, his medicore slider, and if he could get a feel for a chane, he could be deadly, hes only 29.

Matt Thornton p
1 year/$0.355M (2006)

1 year/$0.323M (2005)
ML service: 1.129

CLR01
09-18-2006, 12:29 AM

I really hope that is not their plan. I got sick of the experimental 5th starter in 2004.

palehozenychicty
09-18-2006, 12:32 AM
I really hope that is not their plan. I got sick of the experimental 5th starter in 2004.

Me too.
That was brutal.

Lip Man 1
09-18-2006, 01:11 AM
Thornton will be on the roster next season.
Thornton will not be made a starting pitcher.

and I hope Thornton doesn't turn into the next Cliff Politte given that his 2006 season has been so much better then any of his previous one's in MLB.

Lip

MadetoOrta
09-18-2006, 07:36 AM
I heard about a lefty reliever in the AL Central who developed a change over last winter and became a starter. What's his name.....uh.......

LIRIANO!

jenn2080
09-18-2006, 07:58 AM
I love Matt Thorton. He has been a valuable asset to the bullpen and the most realiable one next to MacDugal and Jenks. Those three are a nice little combo.

kevingrt
09-18-2006, 08:48 AM
Can we just hope he doesn't become like Cotts or Politte and completely forgets how to pitch over the offseason.

Soxfanspcu11
09-18-2006, 09:41 AM
Can we just hope he doesn't become like Cotts or Politte and completely forgets how to pitch over the offseason.

Politte had a slightly good excuse, he had that arm injury.

Cotts, now that's a different story, perhaps too much whiskey in the offseason.

FielderJones
09-18-2006, 09:57 AM
I heard about a lefty reliever in the AL Central who developed a change over last winter and became a starter. What's his name.....uh.......

LIRIANO!

How'd that work out for ya?

If you believe Liriano is going to come into 2007 and just pick up where he left off, I've got an autographed Mark Prior bobblehead and a Kerry Wood game-used mitt for you.

There were a number of posters pissing their pants worrying about Liriano in the last series at Minny. Looks like they should have waited and watched. Pitchers are both powerful and delicate. They don't always come back after an injury.

DaleJRFan
09-18-2006, 10:25 AM

LIRIANO!

Liriano also threw out his elbow and needs surgery.

I like Thornton right where he is... a power leftie arm out of the bullpen to compliment and setup Jenks.

And to Lip: I don't think we'll need to worry about Thornton going the way of Politte. He always had the arm and the stuff, just needed some guidance from the Coop. Politte had a 92 mph fastball and pinpoint control. As soon as the control went away, that 92 mph fastball became BP on 2-0, 3-1 counts.

MadetoOrta
09-18-2006, 11:27 AM
Liriano also threw out his elbow and needs surgery.

I like Thornton right where he is... a power leftie arm out of the bullpen to compliment and setup Jenks.

And to Lip: I don't think we'll need to worry about Thornton going the way of Politte. He always had the arm and the stuff, just needed some guidance from the Coop. Politte had a 92 mph fastball and pinpoint control. As soon as the control went away, that 92 mph fastball became BP on 2-0, 3-1 counts.

Are you saying Liriano blew out his elbow because he went from the pen to starting? Could be. Thornton wants to start, was IIRC a highly regarded prospect as a starter and, if successful, would free up capital to improve the team in other areas.

Just throwing the analogy out for discussion. The guy has a golden arm. With a split or a straight change, he could be wicked.

Beautox
09-18-2006, 11:46 AM
Are you saying Liriano blew out his elbow because he went from the pen to starting? Could be. Thornton wants to start, was IIRC a highly regarded prospect as a starter and, if successful, would free up capital to improve the team in other areas.

Just throwing the analogy out for discussion. The guy has a golden arm. With a split or a straight change, he could be wicked.

No, Liriano blew out his elbow because much like the afermentioned Wood, he has crappy mechancis and relies on his slider far to much 45% of the time, you can't put that much torque on your arm.

goofymsfan
09-18-2006, 12:30 PM
Unless something seriously changes with Matt, he is much more effective in the pen. I watched him pitch in the minors and a few starts in the majors. He was good for a few innings, but 90% of the time, he couldn't make 5 innings. I like what Coop has done with him and helping him get his control down, but I still think his spot is in the bullpen.

ondafarm
09-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Unless something seriously changes with Matt, he is much more effective in the pen. I watched him pitch in the minors and a few starts in the majors. He was good for a few innings, but 90% of the time, he couldn't make 5 innings. I like what Coop has done with him and helping him get his control down, but I still think his spot is in the bullpen.

I really think that was the old Matt Thornton, before Coop did, whatever Coop did. With his free and easy delivery, which still reaches the high nineties for a fastball, Thornton is a solid bet for having the strength to pitch a whole game. I think with Seattle his control got him in trouble by the fifth.

Given the choice between trying Logan, Cotts or Thornton as a starter, I'd pick Thornton as the most likely.

slobes
09-18-2006, 07:41 PM
There are 3 guys I have complete confidence in out of the bullpen: MacDougal, Bobby, and Thornton. I would really enjoy it if they all had on White Sox uniforms in '07.

Britt Burns
09-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Keep him where heis. Thornton, MacDougal, and Jenks would give us one of the strongest bullpens around.