PDA

View Full Version : Harris Shines in Intra-Squad Game

Chisox_cali
02-27-2002, 07:44 PM
Harris steals show at intrasquad game
Doubles, walks and notches two stolen bases
By Jimmy Greenfield
MLB.com

An impressive performance by newcomer Willie Harris in Wednesday's intrasquad game at Tucson Electric Park raised some eyebrows, including one very important pair.

Harris doubled off Antonio Osuna and scored a run for Squad A, then switched sides midway through the game. In his only plate appearance for Squad B, Harris walked, then scored after stealing second and third base.
White Sox Manager Jerry Manuel indicated that Harris, acquired from Baltimore in January for Chris Singleton, improved his chances of winning a battle with Brian Simmons for the final roster spot.

Manuel was impressed with Harris' knowledge of the strike zone, which was evident during a prolonged at-bat early in the game when the left-handed hitter worked the count to 3-2 and fouled off several pitches before grounding out.

Other highlights in the seven-inning, 3-3 tie came from Royce Clayton, who went 2-for-2 with an RBI, and Magglio Ordonez, who singled, doubled and drove in a run.

Frank Thomas went 1-for-1 with a walk, but had to come out of the game after straining his upper left leg running to first base on a single. The "Big Hurt" is not expected to miss any time.

Newcomer Todd Ritchie started for Squad B and pitched two innings, giving up two hits and an earned run. Osuna allowed three hits and a walk in an inning of work. Lorenzo Barcelo gave up two hits in a scoreless inning, Matt Guerrier allowed a hit and a walk in two innings, and Edwin Almonte closed the contest with a perfect seventh.

Starting on the mound for Squad A was Bob Howry, who gave up a hit, a walk and a run in one inning. Keith Foulke and Dan Wright each threw scoreless innings, and Gary Majewski gave up three hits in two scoreless frames.

Right-hander Kyle Kane struck out three in 1 2/3 innings, giving up two runs on two hits and a walk.

The White Sox open Cactus League play Friday in Tucson, taking on the World Champion Arizona Diamondbacks in the first of three straight games.

Jerry_Manuel
02-27-2002, 07:54 PM
Starting on the mound for Squad A was Bob Howry, who gave up a hit, a walk and a run in one inning.

Nice to see Bobby in midseason form. :smile:

Newcomer Todd Ritchie started for Squad B and pitched two innings, giving up two hits and an earned run. Edwin Almonte closed the contest with a perfect seventh.

That's good to see.

Royce Clayton, who went 2-for-2 with an RBI

Good for Royce, keep it up.

Harris doubled off Antonio Osuna and scored a run for Squad A, then switched sides midway through the game. In his only plate appearance for Squad B, Harris walked, then scored after stealing second and third base

:ray
I'm still the man.

RedPinStripes
02-27-2002, 08:09 PM
Osuna and howry seem useless as they'll ever be. Here we go. Harris will have a good spring and have his name changed to Julio jr.

Beside that, everything else sounds good.

Spiff
02-27-2002, 08:11 PM
:KW

"If Wee Willy is so good at walking, he can walk all the way to Charlotte!"

Jerry_Manuel
02-27-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Osuna and howry seem useless as they'll ever be. Here we go. Harris will have a good spring and have his name changed to Julio jr.

Harris has hit in the minor leagues, Juilo hasn't done anything. So while yes, it's the same situation in terms of a new guy showing something, the bats are totally different.

Daver
02-27-2002, 08:22 PM

Pitchers are not tossing game type pitches this early in ST,they are basically getting their timing and their motion down,so the stats on Osuna mean nothing.Harris is a proven commodity at the plate,unlike Julio,who has never proven to hit at any level.

RedPinStripes
02-27-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by daver

Pitchers are not tossing game type pitches this early in ST,they are basically getting their timing and their motion down,so the stats on Osuna mean nothing.Harris is a proven commodity at the plate,unlike Julio,who has never proven to hit at any level.

Julio had a hell of a spring. That's how he made the team right? I didn't like the Osuna move from the start. That's why you've never heard anything good about him from me.

LongDistanceFan
02-27-2002, 08:51 PM

Julio had a hell of a spring. That's how he made the team right? I didn't like the Osuna move from the start. That's why you've never heard anything good about him from me. dare i say ray=trade bait?

Daver
02-27-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
dare i say ray=trade bait?

Might be tough to get a taker,but I will not complain if he is gone at mid-season.

LongDistanceFan
02-27-2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by daver

Might be tough to get a taker,but I will not complain if he is gone at mid-season. i was hoping sooner than that. :D:

bc2k
02-28-2002, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
dare i say ray=trade bait?

I was thinking the same thing reading the article. What if this Harris kid has a huge spring. I say let him play second and trade Durham and his 46 oz bat. Lets see: Harris hits, steels, walks, has a good sense of the strike zone. Can you say Bizarro Durham? He looks like his bizarro and does everything opposite of Ray i.e. playing good.

If I am Hummell, I'm crapping my pants and going to take some ground balls at the SS position.

So Ray, who is the insurance policy now?

RichH55
02-28-2002, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by bc2k

I was thinking the same thing reading the article. What if this Harris kid has a huge spring. I say let him play second and trade Durham and his 46 oz bat. Lets see: Harris hits, steels, walks, has a good sense of the strike zone. Can you say Bizarro Durham? He looks like his bizarro and does everything opposite of Ray i.e. playing good.

If I am Hummell, I'm crapping my pants and going to take some ground balls at the SS position.

So Ray, who is the insurance policy now?

Hummell projects better to 3B than SS