PDA

View Full Version : Some alarming stats

caulfield12
09-16-2006, 10:51 PM
If the season started at the All-Star break, we would be ONE game ahead of the Royals.

If the season started July 20th, we'd actually be ONE game behind the Royals.

26-29 (Royals)
24-29 (White Sox)

The Tigers have played .500 ball since that time.

Runs scored since ASB
Royals 298
White Sox 286

Batting Average since ASB
Royals .280
White Sox .275

Myrtle72
09-16-2006, 11:02 PM
The Royals haven't been playing terribly since the All-Star break compared to their first half.

And yes, the Sox haven't been playing well since the All-Star break compared to their first half.

So, it makes sense that the stats would wind up that way.

samram
09-16-2006, 11:04 PM
The Royals haven't been playing terribly since the All-Star break compared to their first half.

And yes, the Sox haven't been playing well since the All-Star break compared to their first half.

So, it makes sense that the stats would wind up that way.

The point is that the Sox and Royals should not be comparable in any way, shape, or form.

SOXandILLINI
09-16-2006, 11:05 PM
The point is that the Sox and Royals should not be comparable in any way, shape, or form.
agreed, and your point is well taken, by me at least.

DickAllen72
09-16-2006, 11:06 PM

Heck, if the Sox could only have played .500 ball in the last couple of months they would have been in first place. :(:

caulfield12
09-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Heck, if the Sox could only have played .500 ball in the last couple of months they would have been in first place. :(:

When I think of this second half, it's going to be the 2-7 head-to-head against the Twins....the fact that we were healthy and Minnesota beat us without Liriano AND Radke....and this stretch that started the final game of the D-Rays series where our bullpen has suddenly made every game a torture for fans at home. We've lost seemingly 10 easily winnable games in that stretch for a multitude of reasons.

And I'll have to hope I never see McCarthy come out of the pen again...which means he's doing his job as a starter.

CLR01
09-16-2006, 11:29 PM

You're right they shouldn't be. One is 33 games under .500 30 games out of a play spot who at best can play the role of spoiler and the other is 20 games above .500 who still has a shot at playing baseball in October. There is no comparison.

samram
09-16-2006, 11:39 PM
You're right they shouldn't be. One is 33 games under .500 30 games out of a play spot who at best can play the role of spoiler and the other is 20 games above .500 who still has a shot at playing baseball in October. There is no comparison.

Except that over the past 50 or so games, the Sox have played baseball equivalent to the Royals and it has now left them in a very tough position.

caulfield12
09-16-2006, 11:42 PM
Except that over the past 50 or so games, the Sox have played baseball equivalent to the Royals and it has now left them in a very tough position.

And that's not two weeks. That's almost two months, or one-third of a full season. That's a significant barometer to use for measurement and comparison...not an anomaly or aberration, a fluke that can be easily explained away.

QCIASOXFAN
09-17-2006, 01:09 AM
That is a frightening stat indeed.:(: I can't believe that. They have even scored more runs then us since the break! I came into this tread with a faint glimmer of hope still in my mind, but after looking at this stuff...

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2006, 01:12 AM
How about the Royals win the rest of their games!!! That would make me happy!!! :smile:

getonbckthr
09-17-2006, 01:14 AM
Not saying the Royals are great but do remember they are in the same division as 3 of the best teams in baseball and a Cleveland team that probably would be in first in the NL central, west and Wild Card. What I am saying is their offense is solid starting pitching not horrific, but their bullpen is embarressing. Hey I just described the White Sox in the last sentence maybe thats why our records are so similar in the 2nd half.

ShoelessJoeS
09-17-2006, 04:59 AM
The point is that the Sox and Royals should not be comparable in any way, shape, or form.But the sad thing sam, is that they can be.

:(:

Procol Harum
09-17-2006, 09:34 AM
And I'll have to hope I never see McCarthy come out of the pen again...which means he's doing his job as a starter.

There's another situation--let's hope Sox management and fan's enthusiasm for McCarthy doesn't turn out to resemble a certain team to the northernly parts of Chicago and their overly-sanguine estimation of the prospects of two guys by the name of Wood and Prior....

I know that the McCarthy I saw this year looked a whole lot more like the guy who was with the team in the early part of 2005, rather than the guy who impressed us in August and September of last year. Which makes you wonder--which of the two is the real Brandon McCarthy at the Major League level?

caulfield12
09-17-2006, 11:42 AM
There's another situation--let's hope Sox management and fan's enthusiasm for McCarthy doesn't turn out to resemble a certain team to the northernly parts of Chicago and their overly-sanguine estimation of the prospects of two guys by the name of Wood and Prior....

I know that the McCarthy I saw this year looked a whole lot more like the guy who was with the team in the early part of 2005, rather than the guy who impressed us in August and September of last year. Which makes you wonder--which of the two is the real Brandon McCarthy at the Major League level?

I would never compare McCarthy with Wood or Prior. I don't expect Brandon to be a #1 or #2 starter. Simply to be a #3 and put up similar numbers to what Garcia or Garland have given us this year (if you average them out).

Maybe a run of dominance here or there (like Jon in the 2nd half, or Freddy's one hitters in 05 and 06) but an ERA of around 3.75-4.25.

Despite his bad performance recently, I think his H/IP ratio is still very respectable. He's never going to give up a ton of hits....compared to Buehrle, Garcia or even Garland.

The thing is, nobody expected McCarthy or Jon Rauch to become big-time prospects (or Buehrle, etc.), so he's not coming in with the same expectations from the fans IMO, nothing like what everyone wanted from Joe Borchard. He wasn't signed for $5.3 million, and he doesn't carry that burden.

He'll be fine. And his presence gives KW the payroll flexibility to improve the team in other areas.