PDA

View Full Version : Them Are Jerry Manuel Numbers...

TimChamp
02-27-2002, 06:16 PM
I don't know if anybody's posted this before, but I thought this was funny.

From the Daily Southtown:
Another player who raised some eyebrows was Jason Dellaero. The 25-year-old, a first-round draft pick in 1997, has been regarded as one of the best defensive shortstops in all of the minor leagues. His arm is second to none, and he has great range. But he's a career .214 hitter in the minors, including a .178 average with 113 strikeouts in 377 at-bats last season at Triple-A Charlotte. Dellaero went 2-for-3 Tuesday, including a two-run home run, but that still didn't move Manuel. "No doubt," Manuel responded when asked if Dellaero's weak bat is the reason he hasn't reached the big leagues yet. "His numbers have shown that he's really struggled at the plate at every level he's gone. "You have managers talk about him in the same breath as some of the best shortstops they've ever seen, but the hitting ... those are Jerry Manuel-type numbers." Manuel hit .150 in 127 major league at-bats.

Here's the link to the article...
Jerry Manuel Numbers... (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/271sd2.htm)

Check it out and tell me what you guys think!

Daver
02-27-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by TimChamp
I don't know if anybody's posted this before, but I thought this was funny.

From the Daily Southtown:

Here's the link to the article...
Jerry Manuel Numbers... (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/271sd2.htm)

Check it out and tell me what you guys think!

That's not hte first time Manuel has made refference to his less than stellar career BA.

LongDistanceFan
02-27-2002, 09:15 PM
i didn't know his d was all that good.........

pearso66
02-27-2002, 09:30 PM
it states that he never made the major leagues yet, but correct me if i am mistaken, but wasnt he up in chicago a couple years ago?

TimChamp
02-27-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
it states that he never made the major leagues yet, but correct me if i am mistaken, but wasnt he up in chicago a couple years ago?

if my memory serves me correctly, he was brought up in '99 when the rosters expanded...so you are correct!

voodoochile
02-28-2002, 12:05 AM
Do nothing bat in the minors. Tears it up in spring training. Great defense and speed... Can any one say Julio Rameriz?

:jerry
"Looks like a starter to me."

:hitless
"But what about me? Your sister is going to be real mad if I get benched"

"Tell your mom that everything is okay. You can play third base. We can move Jose back to CF and put Lofton at first. That clears up space for Konerko to play catcher and that means Josh is free to resume his pinch running duties."

:iron
"Did you just say what I thought you did? Oh my aching head..."

RedPinStripes
02-28-2002, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Do nothing bat in the minors. Tears it up in spring training. Great defense and speed... Can any one say Julio Rameriz?

"Looks like a starter to me."

:hitless
"But what about me? Your sister is going to be real mad if I get benched"

"Tell your mom that everything is okay. You can play third base. We can move Jose back to CF and put Lofton at first. That clears up space for Konerko to play catcher and that means Josh is free to resume his pinch running duties."

:iron
"Did you just say what I thought you did? Oh my aching head..."

Where was the bold teal on that one?