PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 9-17

Lip Man 1
09-16-2006, 11:23 AM
September 17, 1983 - Before a packed house at Comiskey Park, Harold Baines hits a sacrifice fly driving in Julio Cruz with the run that wins the American League West title for the Sox as they edge Seattle 4 - 3. The Sox go to the playoffs for the first time in 24 years, draw a then record season attendance of over two million fans and have the best record in baseball at 99-63. They win the division by a then record 20 games over second place Kansas City. (Many members of the 1983 team including Scott Fletcher, Ron Kittle and Jerry Koosman talk about that night and that season with White Sox Interactive in their interviews.)

"And that ball is in to center field. Here's the catch, here comes Cruz. The Sox grab the golden ring! The Chicago White Sox, the 1983 Western Champions in the American League."--Don Drysdale.

Lip

TommyJohn
09-16-2006, 02:52 PM
A couple more worthy additions:

September 17, 1971- The White Sox defeat the California Angels 9-4
before a crowd of 8,149 at Comiskey Park. An unusual event marks this
game- all nine players in the White Sox lineup that night get 1 RBI,
including pitcher Bart Johnson, who starts, gives up 8 hits and strikes
out 12 in going the distance. Rick Reichardt hits a solo home run in the
7th for his lone RBI. The resurging Sox, owners of a 56-106 record the
previous year, would finish at 79-83, a 23 game improvement.

I am unable to determine if this is the only time in baseball history in
which every player in the lineup got 1 RBI.

September 17, 1984- Harold Baines goes deep three times against the
Twins at the Metrodome as the White Sox defeat Minnesota 7-3. Baines
with this performance becomes the first player in franchise history to
homer three times in one game twice, having previously done so on
July 7, 1982 against the Tigers. The defending A.L. West champion
White Sox upped their record to 68-81, 5th place, 9 games behind
eventual division champion Kansas City. (Note: any White Sox fan
unhappy with this year's defending champion ought to be tossed into
the Wayback Machine and be made to relive this season day-by-day.)

Another note about that game- Lamarr Hoyt, 1983 A.L. Cy Young winner,
won the 9/17 game to up his record to 13-16. It will be his final victory
of the year (he would finish the year 13-18) and his 74th and final win
in a White Sox uniform. He would be dealt that offseason for a minor
league shortstop named Ozzie Guillen, amongst others.

Dan H
09-16-2006, 06:24 PM
September 17, 1983 - Before a packed house at Comiskey Park, Harold Baines hits a sacrifice fly driving in Julio Cruzwith the run that wins the American League West title for the Sox as they edge Seattle 4 - 3. The Sox go to the playoffs for the first time in 24 years, draw a then record season attendance of over two million fans and have the best record in baseball at 99-63. They win the division by a then record 20 games over second place Kansas City. (Many members of the 1983 team including Scott Fletcher, Ron Kittle and Jerry Koosman talk about that night and that season with White Sox Interactive in their interviews.)

"And that ball is in to center field. Here's the catch, here comes Cruz. The Sox grab the golden ring! The Chicago White Sox, the 1983 Western Champions in the American League."--Don Drysdale.

Lip

To tell you the truth, I don't care about Sox history today. In fact thinking about clinching division titles just makes things worse.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-16-2006, 06:31 PM
Note: any White Sox fan unhappy with this year's defending champion ought to be tossed into the Wayback Machine and be made to relive this season [1984] day-by-day.

I am unhappy, of course -- another decent performance by a Sox starter wasted today -- but please, not that! That year was a nightmare.

I've heard a number of people comment on the radio about the bitter unhappiness of Sox fans this year with a team 20 games over .500 and still in contention in mid-September. They have a point. It's starting to sink in with me all over again: the unpredictability of the game, the "right" off-season moves not always working out so well, the hard-to-measure role of little non-DL nagging injuries, players' loss of confidence, the fact that players have good years and bad, the bad bounces and breaks, the true rarity of pitching and hitting and defense all working at the same time. This is the way the game is, or at least the way it always has the potential to be, and you always knew that, but apparently winning a World Series makes you forget that -- for a while.

RKMeibalane
09-16-2006, 07:27 PM
:reinsy

"Harry and Jimmy, wherever you are, eat your heart out!"

Lip Man 1
09-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Dan:

As a politician once said, 'I feel your pain.' The bullpen has been putrid this season starting in the second game back in April and going on from there.

And to be honest, I'm still 'hopeful.' Hopeful that this team with seven All-Stars and a 100 million dollar payroll can win at least 90 games.

Lip

Hitmen77
09-16-2006, 09:10 PM
I will never forget that clinching night in 1983. This was the first White Sox title in my lifetime. On that night, the Sox were the center of Chicago's attention in a way that wouldn't be surpassed until 2005. For those of you who weren't around to remember - 1983 felt magical. The 1993 and 2000 division titles (and the '05 division clincher for that matter) simply paled in comparision.

I remember that all major Chicago stations (Ch 2, 5, 7, and 9) simulcasted either Channel 32's or SportsVision's telecast of the end of the clinching game.

Lip Man 1
09-16-2006, 10:14 PM
Hitmen:

WGN-TV got permission to show the 9th inning and the post game celebrations / interviews. That's how I was able to tape everything at the TV station in Louisiana. (Yes I still have the tape! :smile: )

Lip

Hitmen77
09-16-2006, 11:41 PM
1983 also marked the end of a 24-year postseason drought for the Sox. After suffering through the '78-'80 teams where the Sox were just a complete joke with pajama uniforms, no money, loser players like Claudell Washington and Thad Bosley, and no hope of competing, 1983's clincher felt like a dream come true for me as a Sox fan.

I started following the Sox in '77, but even in that season there was a feeling that this was a one-shot deal of being in contention for the Sox who were winning with rent-a-players - and of course, they came up short.

Hitmen77
09-17-2006, 12:02 AM
To tell you the truth, I don't care about Sox history today. In fact thinking about clinching division titles just makes things worse.

Dan,
I understand how you feel. But this year's underachieving still doesn't dampen the fond memories I have of 1983, other pennant contending years like '77, '90, '93, '00, and of course the crown jewel of it all - last year's world championship team.

Yes, I'm disappointed in the way '06 is going. But the future still looks bright for the Sox and they promise to be contenders for several seasons to come. Compared to how the Sox future looked 2 or 3 years ago, this franchise has been revitalized beyond my wildest dreams.

Unless your favorite team is called the Yankees, repeating as champs is just about unheard of. Does this lessen the disappointment in this year's potential - no. But, '06 still will be yet another 90 win season that the Sox have given to us in the last couple of decades. If the Sox don't make a great comeback this year, it'll be disappointing, but I'll be eagerly awaiting another 90+ win season in 2007. :gulp:

TheKittle
09-17-2006, 02:45 AM
What I remember about the 83 season was how much coverage the White Sox got from SI. They did a two part story on the pitching staff. It was suppose to be a three part story but the third part was never written/printed. They also had an article about Greg Walker and Ron Kittle. Weird to see so much coverage of the White Sox by SI.

Lip Man 1
09-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Kittle:

The '3rd part' was their coverage of the 1983 ALCS. Frank DeFord covered all three stories. I've got them in my library.

Lip

Britt Burns
09-17-2006, 07:49 PM
I was 12 in '83, and jumped as high as Juice did when he stomped on home plate for the winning run. Unfortunately there was a ceiling fan above me, which I shattered, and the rest of the night I was in a semi-conscious state-both from the knock on my head and the fact that the Sox had made the playoffs.

GoSox2K3
09-17-2006, 11:04 PM
1983 was like a great oasis in the wilderness between the Go Go Sox and the current era of success. It was almost exactly at the mid point between the 1959 pennant winners and the 2005 world champs.

1968-1989 was a difficult time for our team in which they often struggled on and off the field and almost moved 3 times. During this time, there were 3 bright spots: 1972, 1977, and of course the exciting AL West champ/99 wins/1983 team. These 3 teams helped hold down the fort for us Sox fans between the end of the Go Go era in 1967 (when our proud franchise fell on hard times) and the return of this franchise to stability and consistent winning in 1990.

1983 will have a place in my heart forever and will always be remembered as one of the great teams in White Sox history.

Yes, some people might feel a little sour right now by how the Sox have sputtered in the 2nd half. But, hey, how many fans of other teams would just kill to have their team "sputter" their way to 93 or so wins? Just ask any honest Cub fan. If the Sox don't make a miracle comeback this year, I still eagerly look forward to them being pennant contenders again in '07.

Here's to the 1983 team :gulp:.