PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie is mad about SOMETHING at least

caulfield12
09-16-2006, 05:49 AM
Guillen was the most vocal, however, after learning that beer is no longer provided in the McAfee Coliseum clubhouses. Oakland general manager Billy Beane banned alcoholic beverages at midseason after Loaiza's arrest on suspicion of drunken driving and a published story highlighting the nightlife of certain A's players.

Guillen told a clubhouse attendant he would pay for the cost of the beer and was angered that Beane would try to control visiting clubhouses. Tampa Bay's Joe Maddon also expressed his disappointment with the policy.

from chicagosports.com

Other interesting insights. White Sox now 6-39 when scoring 3 runs or less.
Dye's throw was "mechanical." That's an unusually unsubtle line from Gonzalez. He didn't even say anything about Mackowiak's misplay that was the biggest difference in the game.

Well, just another thing to get upset with BB about, and, of course, it centers around a former White Sox hurler, lol.

''I think I've been a little surprised because I haven't played the greatest defense, and you have to have your best out there at this time of the year, especially center field,'' Mackowiak said. ''I guess we need offense in there too right now."
www.suntimes.com

tick53
09-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Like you said Caul, at least he's mad about something. Light the fire Oz.

jenn2080
09-16-2006, 11:01 AM
way to be mad ozzie about the real issues at hand. :rolleyes:

caulfield12
09-16-2006, 11:04 AM
I've been watching the Twins all season long and I don't know how they do it...every game, Torii Hunter misses a ball in CF that he used to get to. Logically, there's only 2-3 players in their line-up you would pick over our guys if you were starting a team to win it all in 2007 (Morneau, Mauer and Stewart).

Yet they're going with rookies and 2nd and 3rd year players all over the field and excelling.

Every time Tyner hits the ball in the infield or bunts, it looks like he's going to be safe and I'm holding my breath....whenever Pods does the same thing, it seems like he's out by 2-3 steps at least.

The Twins just seem to want it more than we do. Both the Sox and Twins are 2nd and 1st in comeback wins in the majors, but you expect it with the Sox, because of our "statistically dominant" offense.

I know we could still sweep DET (it's only Rogers, Verlander and Bonderman perfectly aligned to make it all the more difficult) still, but we're going to have to WIN something instead of having it just fall into our hands.

The only hope is our starting pitching returning to form.

Unfortunately, that's been undercut by our bullpen, offense, lack of fundamentals/execution, Mackowiak in CF and general lack of aggressiveness on the basepaths.

DickAllen72
09-16-2006, 01:19 PM
I hope the Sox win the World Series again this year and then Ozzie decides to retire and go out on top. No matter what though, I hope he's gone after this season.

samram
09-16-2006, 01:27 PM
I hope the Sox win the World Series again this year and then Ozzie decides to retire and go out on top. No matter what though, I hope he's gone after this season.

Not sure I want him gone, but Ozzie has been the king of poorly directed anger this season.

jenn2080
09-16-2006, 01:27 PM

are you ****ing kidding me?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!? if things were going the way we all wanted you would want ozzie signed till death!! WHATEVER! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DickAllen72
09-16-2006, 01:32 PM
are you ****ing kidding me?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!? if things were going the way we all wanted you would want ozzie signed till death!! WHATEVER! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
And if Pods was hitting .440 with 127 SB's we'd all want him starting every game in LF. :rolleyes:

Ozzie is not a very good manager.

samram
09-16-2006, 01:36 PM

Well, yeah, that's how it works. If things are going well, you want to keep someone; if they're not doing their job properly, you have think about finding someone who will do the job properly.

jenn2080
09-16-2006, 01:36 PM
And if Pods was hitting .440 with 127 SB's we'd all want him starting every game in LF. :rolleyes:

Ozzie is not a very good manager.

was he a good enough manager for you last year when you were jumping up and down on 10/26/05? i am sure he was!

DickAllen72
09-16-2006, 01:37 PM
was he a good enough manager for you last year when you were jumping up and down on 10/26/05? i am sure he was!
Yes.

Shingo was a good enough closer for me in 2004/early 2005. Carl was a good enough DH for me when he was driving in all those clutch runs lat year. Geoff Blum was good enough when he hit that home run and I was jumping up and down. Willie Harris had me jumping up and down when he scored the winning run in the WS. Aaron was good enough when he anchored CF for the World Championship season. Esteban Loaiza was a good enough pitcher when he was winning over 20 games for the Sox a few years ago. They are all gone now.

Pods was good enough for me when he was getting on base, stealing and causing havoc on the basepaths. I want him gone next season, too.

TDog
09-16-2006, 01:52 PM

The Sox were so successful before he was hired.

I'm sure this isn't the only thing Mr. Guillen is angry about. Frankly, it is something I'm sure is upsetting to the players and his reaction is a matter of supporting his team. Granted, it isn't as big a problem as being stuck with a center fielder who can't hit alternating with a hitter who can't play center field.

DickAllen72
09-16-2006, 01:57 PM

They wouldn't have beaten Boston in that playoff game if it weren't for ElDuque. Why is he gone?

CLR01
09-16-2006, 02:12 PM
They wouldn't have beaten Boston in that playoff game if it weren't for ElDuque. Why is he gone?

Can you prove that?

I didn't think so.

TDog
09-16-2006, 02:25 PM

Even if it were true, if another reliever had given up a run and the Sox would have won anyway, ore the Sox would have won the next day or the day after, player performance waxes and wanes and ultimately determines championships. Managers operate in a capacity beyond their athletic capacity.

Even the best managers don't win every hear. Al Lopez was the last manager to get the Sox to the World Series. He did if for Cleveland in 1954 and when Cleveland and the Sox were in the pennant race in 1959, the Sox were better for having Al Lopez on their side.

Even the best managers don't finish first every year. The Sox rarely seriously contend in back-to-back years. I can't prove that the White Sox wouldn't have won the World Series in 2005 if they had fired Guillen after 2004, but the Sox have had a lot of managers in my lifetime, and there's only one man alive who has taken them to the World Series.

dickallen15
09-16-2006, 02:43 PM

And Pods was a good enough lead off man, and Politte was a good enough reliever. Cotts was a guy I wouldn't mind seeing in a tight game. Time goes on, things change. Ozzie's act isn't going to be successful forever. I could just imagine the chaos if Ozzie actually had to manage a rebuilding project.

jenn2080
09-16-2006, 02:53 PM
And Pods was a good enough lead off man, and Politte was a good enough reliever. Cotts was a guy I wouldn't mind seeing in a tight game. Time goes on, things change. Ozzie's act isn't going to be successful forever. I could just imagine the chaos if Ozzie actually had to manage a rebuilding project.

fine then was ozzie good enough pre 2005?

jdm2662
09-16-2006, 03:06 PM
fine then was ozzie good enough pre 2005?

I'd have to say yes, eventhough it wasn't directed towards me. Despite not having a fifth starter, losing six guys from the previous season and not replacing them with proper talent, and losing their two best hitters for the bulk of the season, they still managed to win more games then they lost. Not too bad for a rookie manager. He certainly got the most out the talent he had

I said last year Ozzie was above average in overall managing, but a great motiviator.

This year, I'm not even sure what to think. I'm certainly not saying he deserves to be fired, but his act won't last longer if it continues without results. I've been very vocal in the Brian Anderson situation. I'm flat out convinced he doesn't like Anderson. I can't think of anything else. Hell, his average is not too far from Uribe's, and Uribe keeps getting trotted out there. Big mouths and big egos aren't tollerable when you continue to lose...

jenn2080
09-16-2006, 03:08 PM
I'd have to say yes, eventhough it wasn't directed towards me. Despite not having a fifth starter, losing six guys from the previous season and not replacing them with proper talent, and losing their two best hitters for the bulk of the season, they still managed to win more games then they lost. Not too bad for a rookie manager. He certainly got the most out the talent he had

I said last year Ozzie was above average in overall managing, but a great motiviator.

This year, I'm not even sure what to think. I'm certainly not saying he deserves to be fired, but his act won't last longer if it continues without results. I've been very vocal in the Brian Anderson situation. I'm flat out convinced he doesn't like Anderson. I can't think of anything else. Hell, his average is not too far from Uribe's, and Uribe keeps getting trotted out there. Big mouths and big egos aren't tollerable when you continue to lose...

thank you i appreciate you giving a level headed opinion and i completely agree.

champagne030
09-16-2006, 03:23 PM

I'm sure this isn't the only thing Mr. Guillen is angry about. Frankly, it is something I'm sure is upsetting to the players and his reaction is a matter of supporting his team. Granted, it isn't as big a problem as being stuck with a center fielder who can't hit alternating with a hitter who can't play center field.

The problem now is that we have a CF who can hit and field his position. The Great Oswaldo has chosen to put a guy in CF who can also hit, but cannot field the position.

TDog
09-16-2006, 03:30 PM
The problem now is that we have a CF who can hit and field his position. The Great Oswaldo has chosen to put a guy in CF who can also hit, but cannot field the position.

You must be talking about Sweeney.

CLR01
09-16-2006, 03:37 PM
You must be talking about Sweeney.

:rolleyes:

Anderson has been hitting just fine the second half.

DickAllen72
09-16-2006, 05:13 PM
Can you prove that?

I didn't think so.
Can anyone prove the Sox wouldn't have won the WS last season if it wasn't for Ozzie?

I knew no one could..

CLR01
09-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Can anyone prove the Sox wouldn't have won the WS last season if it wasn't for Ozzie?

I knew no one could..

Did I say the Sox wouldn't have won the WS without Ozzie?

I didn't think so.

Palehose13
09-16-2006, 06:11 PM
You know CLR, I think you are right. Most Sox fans are schizophrenics.

DickAllen72
09-16-2006, 08:14 PM
Did I say the Sox wouldn't have won the WS without Ozzie?

I didn't think so.

You responded to one of my posts out of the context that it was posted in.
If you go back and read the posts I was responding to, maybe you'll understand the point. If not, no big deal.

chisoxfanatic
09-16-2006, 11:22 PM
Guillen was the most vocal, however, after learning that beer is no longer provided in the McAfee Coliseum clubhouses. Oakland general manager Billy Beane banned alcoholic beverages at midseason after Loaiza's arrest on suspicion of drunken driving and a published story highlighting the nightlife of certain A's players.

Guillen told a clubhouse attendant he would pay for the cost of the beer and was angered that Beane would try to control visiting clubhouses. Tampa Bay's Joe Maddon also expressed his disappointment with the policy.

I applaud Beane's decision here. There's no reason for the stuff to be in the clubhouses to begin with! They have games to prepare for beforehand, and games to reflect on afterward in the clubhouse. This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of anyone complaining about.

PKalltheway
09-17-2006, 01:16 AM
Umm when was the last time a Sox manager was fired after a season in which he had at least 90 wins?:?: The Sox can get to 90 wins this year, playoffs or not. This ain't the Yankees. This is the White Sox. Just be thankful that they're at least in contention in September. More often than not, they aren't. There will come a day (lets hope it's FAR, FAR, FAR down the road) where the Sox will stink and you, yes you, will be saying "Oh if Ozzie were here, he would have done this, and he would have done that. I wish this team was as good as the 2005-2006 teams were" and so on. Please, think before you type.

TDog
09-17-2006, 02:55 AM

I knew no one could..

I addressed his question addressed at the the post at the top of the page before you posed it.

DickAllen72
09-17-2006, 05:06 PM
There will come a day (lets hope it's FAR, FAR, FAR down the road) where the Sox will stink and you, yes you, will be saying "Oh if Ozzie were here, he would have done this, and he would have done that.

Don't tell me what I, yes I, would say. You don't know me. Think before you type.

samram
09-17-2006, 06:46 PM
This ain't the Yankees. This is the White Sox. Just be thankful that they're at least in contention in September.

What the hell does this mean? I want the Sox to be a gold standard franchise, not one that makes excuses for disappointing seasons by saying they aren't the Yankees.

PKalltheway
09-17-2006, 08:49 PM
What the hell does this mean? I want the Sox to be a gold standard franchise, not one that makes excuses for disappointing seasons by saying they aren't the Yankees.
Hey, don't get me wrong, I want the Sox to be a gold standard franchise as well. I'm also not taking this run of success for granted, either because it can end. Historically, it doesn't happen as often for the Sox as it does for the Yankees. I'm enjoying this run the Sox are having right now, and I hope it never ends, but eventually it probably will. I hope I'm an old, old man when that happens!

Lip Man 1
09-17-2006, 09:46 PM
For what it's worth the last time the Sox had consecutive seasons with 90 or more wins (still do-able mathematically) was back in 1963, 1964 and 1965.

It's been that long gang.

Lip

MadetoOrta
09-17-2006, 09:47 PM
Hey, don't get me wrong, I want the Sox to be a gold standard franchise as well. I'm also not taking this run of success for granted, either because it can end. Historically, it doesn't happen as often for the Sox as it does for the Yankees. I'm enjoying this run the Sox are having right now, and I hope it never ends, but eventually it probably will. I hope I'm an old, old man when that happens!

That's another reason why this season has been so painful. We had a chance to take this town over. Even if we made it to the playoffs and lost to NYY in a 6 or 7 game series it would have had the town going crazy. That creates a momentum - and another generation of fans - that can allow this franchise to compete year in and year out with the likes of NYY and Boston. This is a wasted opportunity. The '86 Bears had the excuse of no quarterback and they still went 14-2. This team has no excuse. Tough pill to swallow.