PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Sox think October is too cold for baseball- 9/15/06 Postgame Thread

HotelWhiteSox
09-16-2006, 12:59 AM
I think Konerko is still out there waiting for that pitch

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/7822/ozay8.jpg

Playah
09-16-2006, 01:01 AM
Maybe someone can enlighten me-

Isnt there like an unwritten rule about NOT going down LOOKING when you're the tying run in the 9th?

MrX
At least it was a total team effort.

Terrible managing, terrible hitting, terrible defense, terrible job holding runners by the pitching staff and walking guys.

Patrick134
We had a tough matchup tonight. Meanwhile the Twins not only lost their Santana start, but ( and this is harder to believe) they lost the Carmona start game.

hi im skot
Win the next two and come back home...all you can do at this point.

I like our chances.

The Dude
I think Konerko is still out there waiting for that pitch

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/7822/ozay8.jpg

Can't blame it on PK. We just sucked ass tonight.

Nice pic!

JB98
Poor offensive game. It's been a familiar refrain lately. Really, there's nothing else to say. Time to wake up bats.

mark2olson
I'm still hopeful, but the sands are running through the hourglass. We cannot lose too many more games. Our offense is hot one day, and cold the next. It would be nice to have some consistency.

palehozenychicty
Horrible game. One step forward, then two steps back. :(:

Mohoney
What the hell is Paulie waiting for? He got an absolute hanger there and just watched it.

35th&Shields
09-16-2006, 01:02 AM
Was that a soccer match in Rio de Janeiro or a baseball game in Oakland, California? What was up with the constant horns blaring and drums? Almost as annoying as letting that game slip past us. Well, at least the Twins lost with Santana pitching.

rdwj
Nobody ACTUALLY expected a win, did they? Seriously. this team isn't good - they're pathetically average at best.

CubsfansareDRUNK
twins lost...sox fail to gain ground :(::angry::whiner:

JB98
09-16-2006, 01:03 AM
Maybe someone can enlighten me-

Isnt there like an unwritten rule about NOT going down LOOKING when you're the tying run in the 9th?

No, it was just another in a long line of lousy ABs by our hitters tonight.

DickAllen72
I wish Gload was in the starting lineup more often. Gload is the best LH hitter on the team. Pods is useless.

joebro25
Bad game. Hurts even worse with Fausto somehow beating Cy Santana. Do you think the Sox know their are only 15 games left? Please offense, wake up.

Bobbo35
[QUOTE=HotelWhiteSox;1349631]I think Konerko is still out there waiting for that pitch

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/7822/ozay8.jpg[/QUO

That couldn't have been a nicer pitch to either. Unbelievable!

Suburbanbuddha
09-16-2006, 01:04 AM
Iguchi 0-3
Dye 0-3
Thome 0-3
Konerko 0-4
Pierzynski 0-3
Crede 0-3

Game Over

southsideirish71
The 13th ranked offense in the 2nd half looks like a shadow of the team that racked up 500 runs in the first half. Maybe Greg Walker can adjust next year when pitchers go low and away to all of our right handers. Its the formula to shut this team down.

BTW for those scoring at home 6 Ks looking tonight. The twins, the As and other high OBP teams actually try and shorten their swing up on 2 strikes, and put the ball in play. Our guys are waiting for the perfect pitch to hit for a homer, or they are falling over trying to pull the outside pitch.

Greg this pull and lift mode didnt work out too well for the last 2 hitting coaches that employed it.

We had a gift sitting there waiting for us to unwrap it. A 1-9 pitcher was on the mound for Cleveland and they beat Santana. We have 16 games to go.

And for the love of god why is Mack still in CF. Put him in LF, send Pods to the bench and you can get Mack into the game.

Soxfanspcu11
Was that a soccer match in Rio de Janeiro or a baseball game in Oakland, California? What was up with the constant horns blaring and drums? Almost as annoying as letting that game slip past us. Well, at least the Twins lost with Santana pitching.

Umm.......have you seen a game in Oakland ever??? It's ALWAYS stupid like that. For as long as I can remember. I've even been to the stadium, twice, and it was like that.

I dunno why, but that's how they role.....or something:rolleyes:

BRDSR
09-16-2006, 01:05 AM
I hope I am dead and rolling over in my grave next time I see the tying run watch strike three in September in the midst of a pennant race after the team ahead of the Sox were beaten in what can only be described as a gift from heaven with their ace cy young-winner on the mound against a AAA scrub.

In conclusion, nothing that hasn't already been said.

lumpyspun
09-16-2006, 01:05 AM
Let's see what our outfield was up to tonight....

Pods lets Frank get a double on a routine grounder to LF. Dye gives up a run by standing flat footed and flinching before throwing the ball home. Mac and Anderson flopping around in CF like fish...

palehozenychicty
09-16-2006, 01:07 AM
BTW for those scoring at home 6 Ks looking tonight. The twins, the As and other high OBP teams actually try and shorten their swing up on 2 strikes, and put the ball in play. Our guys are waiting for the perfect pitch to hit for a homer, or they are falling over trying to pull the outside pitch.

This is the fundamental issue with these hitters for the entire year. They are playing corpseball again.

DickAllen72
09-16-2006, 01:07 AM

Pods lets Frank get a double on a routine grounder to LF. Dye gives up a run by standing flat footed and flinching before throwing the ball home. Mac and Anderson flopping around in CF like fish...

The Sox have a terrible defensive outfield this year. That's probably the downfall of the team this year. It hurts the pitching and also puts more pressure on the offense.

Foulke You
09-16-2006, 01:08 AM
Win the next two and come back home...all you can do at this point.

I like our chances.
I'm trying to remain hopeful too. However, I really wanted the Sox to win the Loaiza game because it doesn't get any easier tomorrow with Zito on the bump. Especially since the Sox offense has been like a box of chocolates lately.

I think the game 3 in Anaheim was not the rule and more the exception when it comes to this Sox offense. When we aren't blasting the ball out of the park, we just aren't scoring runs lately.:(:

Bobbo35
09-16-2006, 01:08 AM

Ya, Pods play on frank's double was pathetic, no way should he have had a double. Oh I forgot PODS YOU SUCK!

ondafarm
09-16-2006, 01:10 AM
If strike three had been a great pitch or something, but it was a hanger. Fastball on the outside corner, what are you looking for?

The Dude
Iguchi 0-3
Dye 0-3
Thome 0-3
Konerko 0-4
Pierzynski 0-3
Crede 0-3

Game Over

Can't win with those numbers.:(:

gbergman
Story of this pathetic teams season. Can't capatilize on anything or gain ground on any team we need to.

Foulke You
09-16-2006, 01:11 AM
Umm.......have you seen a game in Oakland ever??? It's ALWAYS stupid like that. For as long as I can remember. I've even been to the stadium, twice, and it was like that.

I asked A's fans about it on a different message board a few years back. It is some kind've tradition they have there. People bring in horns, drums, air horns, clackers, and anything they have to make a racket. It is pretty maddening to hear coming out of the TV so I'm sure it drives the players nuts too. Almost more obnoxious than the idiot drummer guy in Cleveland. Perhaps more so since the Cleveland guy usually only does it only when Cleveland has runners on base.

palehozenychicty
09-16-2006, 01:12 AM
Story of this pathetic teams season. Can't capatilize on anything or gain ground on any team we need to.

What's crazier is that this team will win 90+. If they played up to their capabilities, they'd easily surpass 100. There's that much talent on this team.

Patrick134
09-16-2006, 01:12 AM
The Sox have a terrible defensive outfield this year. That's probably the downfall of the team this year. It hurts the pitching and also puts more pressure on the offense.

The starting pitching year long slump is the downfall. There have been a million "oh no, mack is in center " posts this season, but mack's glove in center didn't cost us a single game all year.

Brian26
09-16-2006, 01:13 AM

Just when it seems like we're going to overtake Detroit before the Twins, the momentum changes slightly and it looks like we'll have to beat the Twins.

kitekrazy
This is the fundamental issue with these hitters for the entire year. They are playing corpseball again.

They seem to K a lot. That's the problem when you have a bunch of power hitters.

The Tigers increase their lead over both teams.

southsideirish71
If strike three had been a great pitch or something, but it was a hanger. Fastball on the outside corner, what are you looking for?

Paulie was expecting Street to throw him something, straight thigh high, parting the center of the plate perfectly. At least that is what he thought street would throw with 2 strikes.

You can beat this team with low and away. How can this team pick up on some obscure tipping of pitching with video, but are completely clueless on team after team mowing down our offense watching it struggle to get hits, no matter if Johan is on the mound or some broke down AAA stiff. I mean a pitching chart, video, their own scouts cant someone go to Greg and Ozzie and say. You know I dont want to alarm you, but it seems that they are pitching us low and away, maybe just maybe we should not pull that pitch.

DickAllen72
09-16-2006, 01:14 AM
There have been a million "oh no, mack is in center " posts this season, but mack's glove in center didn't cost us a single game all year.
:rolleyes:

Soxfanspcu11
On another note, why are there always so many "guests" in here after we lose??? Do they want to see what one of these...

http://www.nbc5.com/2006/0404/8463538_240X180.jpg

Good luck with that biatch! :cool:

Bobbo35
The game was so predictable after the 4th inning. That is the difference between this year and last year. It is quite discouraging.

I attribute the loss to not running a consistent lineup (center field) out there on a daily basis. Ozzie needs the same guys out there for the rest of the season. Consistency is key.

JB98
09-16-2006, 01:15 AM
Just when it seems like we're going to overtake Detroit before the Twins, the momentum changes slightly and it looks like we'll have to beat the Twins.

The momentum could still change three or four times before this is over.

southsideirish71
The starting pitching year long slump is the downfall. There have been a million "oh no, mack is in center " posts this season, but mack's glove in center didn't cost us a single game all year.

Did you step out during the 3 run inning.

DickAllen72
On another note, why are there always so many "guests" in here after we lose??? Do they want to see what one of these...

http://www.nbc5.com/2006/0404/8463538_240X180.jpg

Good luck with that biatch! :cool:
Nice! :wink:

Brian26
09-16-2006, 01:16 AM
but mack's glove in center didn't cost us a single game all year.

I disagree with that.

Patrick134
09-16-2006, 01:17 AM
The game was so predictable after the 4th inning. That is the difference between this year and last year. It is quite discouraging.

I attribute the loss to not running a consistent lineup (center field) out there on a daily basis. Ozzie needs the same guys out there for the rest of the season. Consistency is key.

Mack had 33% of the hits , and 50% of the rbi's tonight.

Bobbo35
09-16-2006, 01:18 AM
Ya, but he had a play that cost us the game.

Foulke You
09-16-2006, 01:18 AM
Did you step out during the 3 run inning.
In addition to tonight, there was an awful big home game against the Twins (the Dye homer off Nathan game if I recall) where Mack botched not one but TWO big plays that led to a crooked number for the Twins if memory serves.

southsideirish71
09-16-2006, 01:20 AM

He scored 1 run on a solo dong.

He then had a late break, and then dove and misplayed a ball that wound up leading to 3 runs.

3-1 = 2 run swing.

Foulke You
Don't get me wrong, I like Mackowiak. I think he is a great player to have on the team but he is NOT a centerfielder and here it is September, and everyone seems to know this except Ozzie!

DickAllen72
Mack had 33% of the hits tonight, and 50% of the rbi's.
I'm a big Mackowiak fan. I was ecstatic when KW acquired him. But Ozzie misuses him in CF. He doesn't belong starting there.

Mack should have started in LF tonight in place of Pods, or at 3B if Crede's back is as bad as some say, or in RF with Dye replacing Thome at DH if Thome's wrist is bothering him (with Gload in LF).

CHISOXFAN13
09-16-2006, 01:21 AM
Nobody ACTUALLY expected a win, did they? Seriously. this team isn't good - they're pathetically average at best.

Garland won 13 of his 14 secision coming in, SO YES, I expected a win.

We don't Zito, so this would have been nice to get the first one. Going to be real tough to win the series now.

I ****ing hate Oakland.

Bobbo35
Mack is not a center fielder, he is a utility infielder. Here he is at the most important spot in the outfield. That is a problem and has been all season. I like Mack, but that is not what he was brought here for.

Patrick134
Ya, but he had a play that cost us the game.

Andersons a decent kid out there, but everyone needs to quit awarding him a platinum glove already. He's had his share of mistakes as well, and there's no proof he wouldnt have made the same ones tonight.

jenn2080
09-16-2006, 01:22 AM
:whiner: :dunno: :bs: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

samram
09-16-2006, 01:22 AM

Hahahahahhahahaha! That's a good one.

CHISOXFAN13
09-16-2006, 01:23 AM

He then had a late break, and then dove and misplayed a ball that wound up leading to 3 runs.

3-1 = 2 run swing.

Don't make stuff up to support your post. It was 1-1 when that play happened.

Anderson can't hit for **** either. He's back to his early-season ways. It's a no-win situation.

Patrick134
09-16-2006, 01:23 AM

3-1 = 2 run swing.

How could it lead to 3 runs, when Oakland didn't even have a 3 run inning tonight ?

samram
09-16-2006, 01:24 AM
Andersons a decent kid out there, but everyone needs to quit awarding him a platinum glove already. He's had his share of mistakes as well, and there's no proof he wouldnt have made the same ones tonight.

You mean no proof except that he's been really good out in CF this year?

DickAllen72
09-16-2006, 01:25 AM

I agree with that 100%. But he's still the best defensive option they have in CF, and the only way he is going to develop and improve is to play.

He's already better than anyone else they have in CF and he has the highest upside out there.

But you're correct, he's not that good yet, and he makes his share of mistakes as well.

Bobbo35

The point I am trying to make is that Anderson is the centerfielder, not Mack. We need Anderson's glove more than we need Mack's bat. Too many plays have killed the Sox this year.

Brian26
In addition to tonight, there was an awful big home game against the Twins (the Dye homer off Nathan game if I recall) where Mack botched not one but TWO big plays that led to a crooked number for the Twins if memory serves.

There have been many games Mack has cost us. The Sunday Cubs game comes to mind as one of the first ones. I've lost count though.

Patrick134
09-16-2006, 01:26 AM

He's decent, but green, and has made plenty of his own bonehead plays out there. I'm not saying Mack is an all star either, just that the Sox have 2 bad choices in center for now.

CHISOXFAN13
09-16-2006, 01:26 AM

He's been great, but diving for that ball late in the game was just silly. He had no chance to catch it and turned a double into a triple. If Mackowiak did the same thing, there would be a 15-page thread about it.

kitekrazy
09-16-2006, 01:27 AM

They won't beat the Twins. It's just like that pipe dream of the Sox going on a winning streak.

We've seen this pattern before when they score a bunch of runs one game and corpse ball the next.

What puzzles me is when the lineup isn't seeing the ball well against a pitcher, you don't see Ozzie calling for intentional walks when a runner is on 3rd and 1 out.

cheeses_h_rice
09-16-2006, 01:27 AM
I predicted exciting September baseball a few days ago. Guess the Sox are going to wait a little bit longer before making that prediction come entirely true.

:(:

p.s. Jim Thome, any time you're willing to show up, fine by me.

Bobbo35
09-16-2006, 01:28 AM
He's decent, but green, and has made plenty of his own bonehead plays out there. I'm not saying Mack is an all star either, just that the Sox have 2 bad choices in center for now.
Mack is not a centerfielder. Anderson needs to be out there on a daily basis.

MrX
09-16-2006, 01:29 AM
Mack should have started ... in RF with Dye replacing Thome at DH if Thome's wrist is bothering him (with Gload in LF).
I would love to see that happen. Dye could use the break and Thome's last offensive surge was right after he came back after he hurt his back a few weeks ago.

Patrick134
09-16-2006, 01:29 AM
They won't beat the Twins. It's just like that pipe dream of the Sox going on a winning streak.

We've seen this pattern before when they score a bunch of runs one game and corpse ball the next.

What puzzles me is when the lineup isn't seeing the ball well against a pitcher, you don't see Ozzie calling for intentional walks when a runner is on 3rd and 1 out.

Was it corpseball for the twins to not score any runs wednesday ? or to not pummel Carmona tonight? Corpseball is a lame word people threw out about the sox last september, that got drowned in champagne mere weeks later.

palehozenychicty
09-16-2006, 01:30 AM

He hasn't been very good in the second half at all. We'd like to see that tomahawk swing from the 4 hole.

samram
09-16-2006, 01:30 AM
He's been great, but diving for that ball late in the game was just silly. He had no chance to catch it and turned a double into a triple. If Mackowiak did the same thing, there would be a 15-page thread about it.

Honestly, I was speaking in generalities. I didn't see the game, but I don't want anyone calling themselves a Sox fan to not realize that Anderson is a far superior fielder to Mackowiak- although it's not necessarily Rob's fault, his presence out there has cost the team games.

southsideirish71
09-16-2006, 01:31 AM

I think that our fast young CF could of caught the ball that our corner OF utility guy who just missed catching it by diving and having the ball go in and out of his mitt.

Foulke You
09-16-2006, 01:32 AM
I decided to offer up a shining glimmer of hope heading into tomorrow's game against Zito. It seems ol Barry hasn't enjoyed pitching in the Coliseum this year. Check out his home record vs. away:

BARRY ZITO
HOME- 4.77 E.R.A., 5W-7L, 16HRs allowed, opp hitting .277
ROAD- 3.06 E.R.A., 10W-2L, 9HRs allowed, opp hitting .235

Sox need to shake off tonight's awful game. Time to rough up Zito tomorrow and then take Game 3 behind the hot pitching Contreras. 4W-2L was a realistic goal heading into this road trip and it is still doable.:cool:

Bobbo35
What it comes down to plain and simply....Sox need to pull their head out of there ass and play some baseball!

Get em tommorow!!

southsideirish71
Was it corpseball for the twins to not score any runs wednesday ? or to not pummel Carmona tonight? Corpseball is a lame word people threw out about the sox last september, that got drowned in champagne mere weeks later.

So what are you drinking, because I want some of it.

13th ranked offense in the 2nd half. The marlins who play in a huge pitchers park and in the NL where a pitcher bats have scored more runs than us.

monkeypants
09-16-2006, 01:33 AM

They certainly have become predictable. After Pods made that horrible play and allowed Big Hurt to a double I turned the tv off and went out because I figured it would be one of those games. I came back home by the ninth inning and just expected the team to somehow tank it. Unfortunately I was right. God damn does this team aggravate me.

kitekrazy
Garland won 13 of his 14 secision coming in, SO YES, I expected a win.

We don't Zito, so this would have been nice to get the first one. Going to be real tough to win the series now.

I ****ing hate Oakland.

Garland may have been due for a loss. Santana didn't have his typical outing and got a no decision.

DickAllen72
OK people, now the time has come for the Sox to go on that extended hot streak or go home October 2nd.

This is it. Four games out of first with two weeks to play. Two games out of the WC with two weeks to play.

Still within reach, but no more room for error. It starts (or ends) tomorrow.

100 Year Itch
09-16-2006, 01:35 AM
I dont understand the plate approach in the ninth. Iguchi made contact with the first pitch, and weakly grounded out, Dye worked the count, but swung at a ball way out of the zone.... now we're down to one batter... :(

This notion that pitchers will give you their best pitch in the at bat on the first pitch IS FLAWED. **** YOU HAWK. Pitchers are no longer afraid of this line-up; work the count.

StillMissOzzie
09-16-2006, 01:36 AM
PK leaving the bat on his shoulders for the game-ending called strike 3 was just the exclamation point on SUCK!

This was a winnable game, in spite of:
1) The Mackowiak play in CF that led to two runs
2) Garland not looking too sharp, with the A's seemingly with the leadoff man on EVERY ****ING INNING!
3) Dye playing that sac fly as if his reputation alone was enough to keep the A's from running.
4) Pods' noodle arm can't keep Big Frank from making a double out of that hit into the corner

Not to mention yet another squandered opportunity to get a game back on the WC from the Twnkies. This puts even more pressure on the Sox to win the next two before the Motown Showdown...

SMO
:angry:

kitekrazy
09-16-2006, 01:36 AM

Plus he's not very good at putting the ball in play at the plate.

Patrick134
09-16-2006, 01:38 AM
PK leaving the bat on his shoulders for the game-ending called strike 3 was just the exclamation point on SUCK!

This was a winnable game, in spite of:
1) The Mackowiak play in CF that led to two runs
2) Garland not looking too sharp, with the A's seemingly with the leadoff man on EVERY ****ING INNING!
3) Dye playing that sac fly as if his reputation alone was enough to keep the A's from running.
4) Pods' noodle arm can't keep Big Frank from making a double out of that hit into the corner

Not to mention yet another squandered opportunity to get a game back on the WC from the Twnkies. This puts even more pressure on the Sox to win the next two before the Motown Showdown...

SMO
:angry:

Wouldn't the Twins winning tonights game have put more pressure on the Sox ? Granted, who wouldn't want to gain ground, but that's a flawed theory there.

southsideirish71
09-16-2006, 01:39 AM
I dont understand the plate approach in the ninth. Iguchi made contact with the first pitch, and weakly grounded out, Dye worked the count, but swung at a ball way out of the zone.... now we're down to one batter... :(

This notion that pitchers will give you their best pitch in the at bat on the first pitch IS FLAWED. **** YOU HAWK. Pitchers are no longer afraid of this line-up; work the count.

the formula is simple. Spot the pitch low and away. Bounce breaking ball in every so often with 2 strikes. Let simmer, and watch it get itself out.

Its the same exact approach that Joe Mays and Radke used to use to get out Jose Valentin and Carlos Lee when they were here.

MrX
09-16-2006, 01:39 AM
I decided to offer up a shining glimmer of hope heading into tomorrow's game against Zito. It seems ol Barry hasn't enjoyed pitching in the Coliseum this year. Check out his home record vs. away:

BARRY ZITO
HOME- 4.77 E.R.A., 5W-7L, 16HRs allowed, opp hitting .277
ROAD- 3.06 E.R.A., 10W-2L, 9HRs allowed, opp hitting .235

Sox need to shake off tonight's awful game. Time to rough up Zito tomorrow and then take Game 3 behind the hot pitching Contreras. 4W-2L was a realistic goal heading into this road trip and it is still doable.:cool:
I can put the Sox career numbers against Zito up and rain on your parade:tongue:

kitekrazy
09-16-2006, 01:40 AM

Big difference. They weren't in 3rd place and the smallest lead was 1 1/2 games.

JB98
09-16-2006, 01:46 AM
I predicted exciting September baseball a few days ago. Guess the Sox are going to wait a little bit longer before making that prediction come entirely true.

It isn't like Dye, Konerko or Crede did **** tonight either. FWIW, I think Jim is playing through injury. Jim at 70 percent is better than any alternative we have on the bench.

monkeypants
09-16-2006, 01:47 AM

Would it make you feel any better to call the Sox a .500 team instead? Because that's what they have become. And .500 teams don't win playoff games.

southsideirish71
09-16-2006, 01:47 AM
Maybe someone should post this quote up everytime Ozzie is filling out the lineup card.

"I've been horrible, actually. There's no point in lying or candy-coating anything. It's been bad." -- Rob Mackowiak on his CF defense

100 Year Itch
09-16-2006, 01:48 AM
To the SOX-- I don't care what "your people" are telling you --

TAKE A PITCH, WORK THE COUNT

cwsfannick
09-16-2006, 01:49 AM
What has me extremely frustrated is the Sox pitching staf with the exception of Buehrle to hold baserunners.

Tonight was a perfect example. The A's have a total of 49 stolen bases on the season and they get two tonight. In both cases there was not one throw over. AJ seems to pay more attention to the guys on base than our pitchers.

This has been a problem for the past two years now. The Sox were good enough last year to get past this part of the game wiithout it hurting them. This year the team isn't that lucky.

palehozenychicty
09-16-2006, 01:49 AM
Maybe someone should post this quote up everytime Ozzie is filling out the lineup card.

"I've been horrible, actually. There's no point in lying or candy-coating anything. It's been bad." -- Rob Mackowiak on his CF defense

Why not email it to Ozzie at his hotmail address: ozzieguillen13@hotmail.com

Patrick134
09-16-2006, 01:50 AM
Would it make you feel any better to call the Sox a .500 team instead? Because that's what they have become. And .500 teams don't win playoff games.

But .571 teams do.

Foulke You
09-16-2006, 01:52 AM
I can put the Sox career numbers against Zito up and rain on your parade:tongue:
I prefer to stick to looking at my "glass half full" stats thank you very much.:tongue:

zmz723
09-16-2006, 01:52 AM
But .571 teams do.
Except we've been under .500 since the allstar break

Patrick134
09-16-2006, 01:53 AM
Except we've been under .500 since the allstar break

Ahh i forgot they throw out the pre all star game records now. That Selig is wacky.

hawkjt
09-16-2006, 01:55 AM
2 back with 15 to play- its like a noose that keeps getting tighter around our hitters necks.

2 back- its doable. We can bitch and moan about tonite but if we win tomorrow - we're back.

The twins have two hot pitchers right now- Johann and Bonsor- now they get three cooler pitchers in a row. We need the indians and sabbathia to beat the twins twice more.

We are reduced to depending on the kindness of strangers- I aint proud- please help us Indians.

Loaiza has been hot and yet I thought he looked hittable- we had that streak of hitting line drives that were caught that hurt us. That catch on Tadahitos hump back was tremendous and really killed that inning.

Its going down to the wire folks- minny and us in the frozen north for all the marbles. Hang on.

Foulke You
09-16-2006, 01:55 AM
FWIW, I think Jim is playing through injury. Jim at 70 percent is better than any alternative we have on the bench.
You're not the only one thinking he isn't 100%. Thome just hasn't looked 100% comfortable at the plate since he returned from that wrist injury and back flare up. He seems to be a hair late on his swings and it has been a while since I've seen him absolutely murder a ball like he was doing in the 1st half.

southsideirish71
09-16-2006, 01:56 AM
But .571 teams do.

The offense scored 520 runs in the first half.
So far with 15 games left we have 284 runs scored.

JB98
09-16-2006, 01:59 AM
You're not the only one thinking he isn't 100%. Thome just hasn't looked 100% comfortable at the plate since he returned from that wrist injury and back flare up. He seems to be a hair late on his swings and it has been a while since I've seen him absolutely murder a ball like he was doing in the 1st half.

I think his wrist is bothering him. He's been trying to hit to left-center and center more often lately. That wrist injury might be yapping at him when he pulls the ball. He certainly hasn't been pulling the ball with authority as often as he did the first half of the season.

DickAllen72
If Thome is still hurting I'd prefer to see Gload in the lineup instead.

JB98
To the SOX-- I don't care what "your people" are telling you --

TAKE A PITCH, WORK THE COUNT

What advantage does the hitter gain by taking strike one and falling behind in the count 0-1?

Lip Man 1
Just got back from doing my football broadcast and got the result. Can't say I'm surprised, it's the 'house of horrors remember?'

What really hurts is another pissed away opportunity to catch up ground on Minnesota.

By the way in 8 of the last 12 games the vaunted Sox offense has been held to three runs or less. Seems the only games they win is when they explode.

Oh well. 15 games and counting. Can't say it even gets me angry anymore.

Lip

JB98
09-16-2006, 02:01 AM
If Thome is still hurting I'd prefer to see Gload in the lineup instead.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gload get a shot in LF. Thome is a presence in the lineup even when he's less than 100 percent. An injured Jim is still one of our best nine players.

monkeypants
09-16-2006, 02:02 AM
But .571 teams do.

For the past 2-3 months have you been watching a .571 team? Because I've been watching a sub .500 team that doesn't look like it has any chance of winning the World Series.

DickAllen72
09-16-2006, 02:04 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Gload get a shot in LF. Thome is a presence in the lineup even when he's less than 100 percent. An injured Jim is still one of our best nine players.

Gload over Pods in LF should be a no brainer by now. But if Thome is struggling because of injury, I'd let Mackowiak start in LF and let Gload play DH/1B. Or maybe let Mack play RF and let Dye "rest" at DH for a game or so.

Bottom line for me is: Less Pods--More Gload.

Patrick134
09-16-2006, 02:05 AM
For the past 2-3 months have you been watching a .571 team? Because I've been watching a sub .500 team that doesn't look like it has any chance of winning the World Series.

Stop watching then. Please. You won't. And you'll be back like all is fine if the Sox get hot. We've all seen this movie before last year. Everyone who wants to jump, please do. It'll make it easier for the rest of us to try and get playoff tickets.

JB98
09-16-2006, 02:06 AM
Gload over Pods in LF should be a no brainer by now. But if Thome is struggling because of injury, I'd let Mackowiak start in LF and let Gload play DH/1B. Or maybe let Mack play RF and let Dye "rest" at DH for a game or so.

Bottom line for me is: Less Pods--More Gload.

Anything to spark this offense. Obviously, we're speculating about Thome. But my stance is that Jim should play as long as he can walk. As for Pods, we're running out of time waiting for him to break out of this extended slump.

Myrtle72
09-16-2006, 02:06 AM
This thread is putting me in a bad mood.

DickAllen72
09-16-2006, 02:08 AM
Yeah, me too. I was in a great mood after the game tonight until I started reading this thread. :redneck

southsideirish71
09-16-2006, 02:10 AM
Stop watching then. Please. You won't. And you'll be back like all is fine if the Sox get hot. We've all seen this movie before last year. Everyone who wants to jump, please do. It'll make it easier for the rest of us to try and get playoff tickets.

I already have my playoff tickets, they just need to make the playoffs.

monkeypants
09-16-2006, 02:10 AM

Yeah, just because I'm critical of the Sox and expect them to play up to their ability means that somehow I'm not a true fan.

This bull**** "you're either with us or against us" way of thinking makes me want to wretch.

Sorry that I'm using some critical thinking when I'm analyzing this team.

DickAllen72
09-16-2006, 02:11 AM
Somehow, I still believe they're going to make it.

JB98
09-16-2006, 02:12 AM

I do too. But the legion of believers is growing smaller by the day. I'm really hoping they get in just so I can say "neener-neener-neener" to all the naysayers around here. :D:

monkeypants
09-16-2006, 02:13 AM

No they need to win the World Series.

Patrick134
09-16-2006, 02:13 AM
Yeah, just because I'm critical of the Sox and expect them to play up to their ability means that somehow I'm not a true fan.

This bull**** "you're either with us or against us" way of thinking makes me want to wretch.

There is a big difference between critcal analysis, and whiny panicking. If you're tired of watching a ".500 team", stop watching.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-16-2006, 02:14 AM

And still had a -1 if this were hockey (plus / minus).

Another ball in the gap drops, another ball Anderson would have had goes in and out of Mackowiak's mitt.

It is not Mackowiak's fault - he is not a major league centerfielder. It is ****ing Ozzie's fault for continuing to put him out there.

Kenny needs to acquire a centerfielder this offseason (either a starter if Ozzie won't play Anderson or a backup who can legitimately play the position). Mackowiak is fine in the corners (OF or IF).

We will have Alomar and Anderson in the lineup tomorrow against Zito. Hopefully the rest of the regulars will be ready to go and the Sox can get a win to force a rubber match on Sunday. We need our best lineup the final two games, not some concocted lineup:

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/3999/sdicenf4.png

palehozenychicty
09-16-2006, 02:14 AM

That's the thing that kills me about this team! They play as if they know they'll get in as well.

hawkjt
09-16-2006, 02:20 AM
Big Jim is hitting .150 in Sept(6-40) without his one big game of the month in Boston 4-4. So in one game he has 4 hits and then in 13 games he has 6 hits in the most crucial month of the year.

He is hurt, and he is hurting us. If this offense does not get hot- all the good pitching is going to waste.

But Jimbo will be in there cuz he gives us hope and walks.

That gosh darn field is a disgrace after a football game on Monday. MLB should step in - they should just make the A's come to chicago to play on roger bossard emerald green lushness when their field is substandard.

kitekrazy
09-16-2006, 02:20 AM

The standings say we are watching a 3rd place team.

monkeypants
09-16-2006, 02:22 AM
That's the thing that kills me about this team! They play as if they know they'll get in as well.

That also gets me. It's almost like they have a sense of entitlement that they will just automatically get into the playoffs. It's good to play with an air of arrogance and feel like you know you are going to win but it'd be nice if they could back that up with some consistant wins.

monkeypants
09-16-2006, 02:22 AM

That also gets me. It's almost like they have a sense of entitlement that they will just automatically get into the playoffs. It's good to play with an air of arrogance and feel like you know you are going to win but it'd be nice if they could back that up with some consistant wins.

kitekrazy
09-16-2006, 02:25 AM

Oh yeah? You should try watching the games.

kitekrazy
09-16-2006, 02:26 AM

kitekrazy
09-16-2006, 02:26 AM

kitekrazy
09-16-2006, 02:27 AM

monkeypants
09-16-2006, 02:29 AM

Touche.

monkeypants
09-16-2006, 02:33 AM

Touche.

kitekrazy
09-16-2006, 02:34 AM

I admire your optimism. I've seen this movie before but it was during the Manuel era. I think it was called Under Achieving. Then is was Under Achieving Strikes Back.

How can you compare this to last year? They were in first place all last year. They managed to work down to 3rd place.

StillMissOzzie
09-16-2006, 02:38 AM
Wouldn't the Twins winning tonights game have put more pressure on the Sox ? Granted, who wouldn't want to gain ground, but that's a flawed theory there.

Sorry for the confusion, Patrick, I shoulda started a new paragraph. I didn't mean to say that the Twins loss would put more pressure on the Sox - that is, of course, nonsense - but just meant to say that losing game #1 of this series, with the need to win 2 out of 3 overall, DID put more pressure on the Sox.

SMO
:redface:

StillMissOzzie
09-16-2006, 02:42 AM

Sorry for the confusion, Patrick, I shoulda started another paragraph. I did not mean to say that a Twins loss would put more pressure on the Sox - that would be absurd - but losing game #1 of the series, with their need to win 2 out of 3, DOES.

SMO
:redface:

kitekrazy
09-16-2006, 02:53 AM

There is a big difference between critcal analysis, and whiny panicking. If you're tired of watching a ".500 team", stop watching.

You guys should make a deal. Exchange for not watching as long as the other lays off the crack pipe.

MrX
09-16-2006, 03:01 AM
We will have Alomar and Anderson in the lineup tomorrow against Zito. Hopefully the rest of the regulars will be ready to go and the Sox can get a win to force a rubber match on Sunday. We need our best lineup the final two games, not some concocted lineup:
Don't forget

:ozuna:

"I'm the only guy on the roster that's hitting above .300 against Zito for his career":o:

MrX
09-16-2006, 03:02 AM
Don't forget

"I'm the only guy on the roster that's hitting above .300 against Zito for his career":o:

MrX
09-16-2006, 03:03 AM
Don't forget

MrX
09-16-2006, 03:04 AM
Don't forget

MrX
09-16-2006, 03:05 AM
Don't forget

Playah
09-16-2006, 03:06 AM
Amazing picture:

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/3999/sdicenf4.png[/quote]

Playah
09-16-2006, 03:06 AM
Amazing picture:

Playah
09-16-2006, 03:07 AM
Awesome!

RadioheadRocks
09-16-2006, 03:17 AM
So who was the tallest midget... I mean "winning pick to click"?

100 Year Itch
09-16-2006, 03:20 AM
Let them throw it down the center on the first pitch.. WHO CARES???

Every other pitch is out of the zone. WALKS ARE A GOOD THING

BadBobbyJenks
09-16-2006, 03:28 AM

I STILL BELIEVE!!!!!!
:gulp:

spiffie
09-16-2006, 04:14 AM
Shhh...just remember, this is the best team in baseball, they just haven't found a rhythm. That's what we keep getting told after all.

Anything can happen, but I'll be honest, I sure wouldn't want to bet on them to make it to the playoffs. They just look so bad more often than not. It's like 2 days a week they look amazing, 1 day a week they look great but bored, and the other days they just look awful. It hurts to watch, but there's no leaving until the end damn it! We need a good run to the end, starting tomorrow.

caulfield12
09-16-2006, 06:37 AM
Why not email it to Ozzie at his hotmail address: ozzieguillen13@hotmail.com

I wrote him an e-mail (in Spanish) about Dye and Iguchi's mental mistakes on the basepaths and how we should expect more from a championship team down the stretch, I'm waiting to see if he responds.

Grzegorz
09-16-2006, 06:41 AM
I do not feel that this team, as it is current constituted in addition to how it is being managed, is capable of running the table.

The White Sox need to put out a consistent lineup. I agree that Pods is the odd man out and that Thome could use a break. Maybe that means more Gload/Mackowiac to spot start. Gload has shown a tendency to run in the past, so it's not as if the White Sox sacrifice their supposed philosophy of speed and defense with Gload playing.

Anderson needs to start in CF from here on out; games cannot be given away because of poor defense. Anderson is a young player that will make some mistakes but he is far less likely to lose games with his glove.

Those saying Anderson has begun to slump might be correct; but he's not been able to build on the success that began with the second half due to limited at bats.

I hope this team does not mess round with this kid in winter ball. Let him develop naturally; do not force him into base stealing or changing his swing for additional power.

Young players develop their swing and improve their power numbers as they mature through experience.

Poor starting pitching in general and team wide abysmal performances close games against poor teams have put the White Sox in the hole they're currently in.

They needs some breaks; winning when the other two teams ahead of them lose ground.

As was mentioned in an earlier thread this week the White Sox have ceded control of their playoff destiny.

Dan H
09-16-2006, 07:28 AM

Are you saying this is a .500 team? Considering that they have only won one series during the past couple weeks, it seems like they are less than that.

Many of us think that they need to get to 95 wins to get into the playoffs. They now have to win 11 out of 16 to get there. How likely is that if they lose this series to Oakland? Concerned fans aren't panicking. They're facing facts. Time is running out. One game winning streaks don't cut it right now.

caulfield12
09-16-2006, 07:32 AM

We're not even that...we're 5 games below .500 since the ASB.

SOXSINCE'70
09-16-2006, 08:38 AM
You should try watching the games.

I stuck around for all 9 innings.This is frustrating and depressing.:(:

HerzogVon
09-16-2006, 08:52 AM
I do too. But the legion of believers is growing smaller by the day. I'm really hoping they get in just so I can say "neener-neener-neener" to all the naysayers around here. :D:

Yes, you seem to be quite good at that, but it doesn't win games.

Day by day, this team is looking more and more like another aggregation that plays not-so-far away. Home runs that mean NOTHING! Offensive explosions every fourth game or so, followed by extended periods of catatonia. SP that mysteriously comes to life around the same time that the slugging based offense quits, but then is let down by just enough bullpen failure. Sloppy play in the field. Lack of situational hitting. Less than inspirational hustle, to be kind. HEY, HEY, HOLY MACKERAL! Is this starting to sound familiar?

Oh, and when Anderson is your only legit CF, you HAVE to go with him, no matter what his shortcomings may be. KW created this problem, and Ozzie tries to solve it by reflexively sticking Mack out there. Pathetic!

Law11
09-16-2006, 09:21 AM
Considering how great we are vs. Zito I'm not bothering wasting this beautiful sat watching any more inconsistent garbage..

peeonwrigley
09-16-2006, 09:54 AM
Considering how great we are vs. Zito I'm not bothering wasting this beautiful sat watching any more inconsistent garbage..

I usually take the road Oakland series as time off from watching the Sox because rarely does anything good happen. But given the importance of every game from here on out I unfortunately watched last nights game through my neighbor's screen door listening to the broadcast with the old two cans and a wire "telephone" device. Or that was WCIU, whatever.

Watching the Sox lately (like, since May) has been an act of frustration. There is still time to turn it around - but this is the last time I'm typing that this season. They need to get their **** together and now.

robiwho
09-16-2006, 09:57 AM
I'm really pleased with my decision to spend last evening LMAO at the third season of Arrested Development, rather than watching the game.

Brian26
09-16-2006, 10:01 AM
Are you saying this is a .500 team? Considering that they have only won one series during the past couple weeks, it seems like they are less than that.

Many of us think that they need to get to 95 wins to get into the playoffs. They now have to win 11 out of 16 to get there. How likely is that if they lose this series to Oakland? Concerned fans aren't panicking. They're facing facts. Time is running out. One game winning streaks don't cut it right now.

It's coming to a point now where they need to sweep Detroit next Monday, Tuesday, and Wed. This is possible, but you hate to have your back against the wall like that.

Brian26
09-16-2006, 10:03 AM
I'm really pleased with my decision to spend last evening LMAO at the third season of Arrested Development, rather than watching the game.

That's cool, but don't you have all winter to watch that? :D: The pennant race is intense, but its also exciting.

voodoochile
09-16-2006, 10:08 AM
That's cool, but don't you have all winter to watch that? :D: The pennant race is intense, but its also exciting.

Exactly. Sports without pressure is fun, but not as exciting. Games that are close and meaningful are what it's all about...

kevingrt
09-16-2006, 10:35 AM
I know it was a crappy loss last night but B-Mac's inning and two thirds was very encouraging. At least in my mind it was. We need him to be on in the bullpen to give us four good arms and Boone pitching well would give us a fifth for this stretch run. We need BMAC to be on his best this next few weeks. Someone we can rely on in the 6th and 7th innings.

35th&Shields
09-16-2006, 11:05 AM

I thought of that and figured that in the past I wasn't as annoyed and didn't notice it. Kind of like when you're irritated and the sound of a tapping pen drives you nuts.

Martinigirl
09-16-2006, 11:40 AM
So this was in the Southtown this morning:

Mack is back
On Friday, Rob Mackowiak made his third start in four games in center field. "Right now we have to put the best lineup," Guillen said of his decision to go with Mackowiak ahead of rookies Brian Anderson or Ryan Sweeney. "It's a must-win thing and not just play the game. Right now, we feel that Mackowiak is the best one."

I am assuming Ozzie said this before the game, because if he said it afterward, I don't know how he could have kept a straight face.

Ozzie is putting his ego ahead of his brain. For every odd solo homerun Mack may contribute, he costs us at least two in the field, as was shown last night. Then, when you assume he is in there for his bat (because there is NO ONE who can say he is in there for his fielding expertise), he is taken out for Anderson to pinch hit for him. How is that remotely logical?

Instead of letting the one guy who did hit a homerun bat, you sit him, then let Uribe and Pods bat. Then you put Josh Field's in left, who doesn't normally play there and is going to winter ball to learn to play the position. Wouldn't it have made a lot more sense to let Mack bat, then Cintron, and have Anderson bat for Pods, thus keeping Mack for left? Or has Ozzie realized Mack is a butcher in the outfield, so a rookie with little experience in the outfield is a better option in left than Mack? This is a pennant race, not spring training.

And before anyone tells me I am not a fan because I don't believe in the infallability of Ozzie, don't bother. If I don't believe in the infallability of the Pope, I sure as hell am not buying it in a baseball manager. I appreciate what Ozzie did last year, but you know what? Pretending, or deluding oneself, into thinking he is perfect does not make you a 'better' fan. He is making a lot of mistakes in this stretch run, and it is costing us.

TomBradley72
09-16-2006, 11:50 AM
The reality of this team is reflected in our "post All Star game" performance...which is now 2+ months (59 games...almost 40% of the season..the same distance from Opening Day to about mid-June)... of mediocre baseball:

Team:

Overall Record: 27-32 (9th in AL) (12 GB Minnesota, 2 GB Detroit) We have exactly ONE more win than the Royals over this span.
Offense: 8th in runs scored, 10th OBP
Pitching: 10th in ERAIndividual:

One third of starting line up struggling
Lead Off Hitter: Podsednik: .229 Avg.,.284 OBP, 10 SB's
Clean Up Hitter/DH: Thome: .274-9-22
Starting SS: Uribe: .231-7-16
8 Pitchers on the staff struggling
4 starters w/4.00+ ERA's: Vazquez (4.15), Garcia (4.69), Contreras (4.78), Buehrle (6.07)
Struggling Bullpen: Riske (4.79), McCarthy (5.47), Jenks (5.68), Cotts (8.62)Insane Manager:

Anderson hits .280 (5th among regulars)...but Mac continues to start in CFAny team/player can get hot for two weeks...so there's still hope...but it's looking more and more like 2003, 2004, etc.

TomBradley72
09-16-2006, 11:55 AM

It is exciting...but mostly due to the Tigers or Twins losing enough for us to stay in the hunt...vs. the White Sox winning clutch games, playing great baseball, etc. (we're 13-15 over the past month).

SoxSpeed22
09-16-2006, 11:59 AM
Any team/player can get hot for two weeks...so there's still hope...but it's looking more and more like 2003, 2004, etc.At least there's no Jose Paniagua this time.
:bundy

chisoxfanatic
09-16-2006, 01:29 PM
Totally Biased Game Report (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3257)

They should just contract Oakland and that crappy thing they call a ballpark.

Lip Man 1
09-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Chisox:

It's not the balklpark. Other teams actually win there.

Lip

EndemicSox
09-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Where's Balco when they need them?

chisoxfanatic
09-16-2006, 02:41 PM
Chisox:

Lip

Yea, but that ballpark has been a hex on OUR team for the longest time now. I never claimed it was anyone else's nemisis...just OUR'S!

Myrtle72
09-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Chisox:

Lip

Yeah, its actually the fact that everyone keeps reinforcing the fact that the Sox lose there so frequently.

I'm sure if the players had no idea what the past performance was in Oakland, they might be playing better. But hey, that's just my opinion.

I certainly hope they break this pattern of losing in Oakland and take the next two.

caulfield12
09-16-2006, 02:56 PM
We've obviously learned how to play much better at Seattle and LA than we used to.

whitesoxfan
09-16-2006, 03:15 PM
We've obviously learned how to play much better at Seattle and LA than we used to.

Texas as well.

JB98
09-16-2006, 03:32 PM
So this was in the Southtown this morning:

Mack is back
On Friday, Rob Mackowiak made his third start in four games in center field. "Right now we have to put the best lineup," Guillen said of his decision to go with Mackowiak ahead of rookies Brian Anderson or Ryan Sweeney. "It's a must-win thing and not just play the game. Right now, we feel that Mackowiak is the best one."

I am assuming Ozzie said this before the game, because if he said it afterward, I don't know how he could have kept a straight face.

Ozzie is putting his ego ahead of his brain. For every odd solo homerun Mack may contribute, he costs us at least two in the field, as was shown last night. Then, when you assume he is in there for his bat (because there is NO ONE who can say he is in there for his fielding expertise), he is taken out for Anderson to pinch hit for him. How is that remotely logical?

Instead of letting the one guy who did hit a homerun bat, you sit him, then let Uribe and Pods bat. Then you put Josh Field's in left, who doesn't normally play there and is going to winter ball to learn to play the position. Wouldn't it have made a lot more sense to let Mack bat, then Cintron, and have Anderson bat for Pods, thus keeping Mack for left? Or has Ozzie realized Mack is a butcher in the outfield, so a rookie with little experience in the outfield is a better option in left than Mack? This is a pennant race, not spring training.

And before anyone tells me I am not a fan because I don't believe in the infallability of Ozzie, don't bother. If I don't believe in the infallability of the Pope, I sure as hell am not buying it in a baseball manager. I appreciate what Ozzie did last year, but you know what? Pretending, or deluding oneself, into thinking he is perfect does not make you a 'better' fan. He is making a lot of mistakes in this stretch run, and it is costing us.

This last paragraph is one of the great myths propagated by Anderson's supporters. Just because I agree with the decision to get Mackowiak in the lineup does not mean I think Ozzie is perfect.