PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's Division/Wild Card Scenarios

Procol Harum
09-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Well, interesting to see the full three-way battle continue tonight.

We've gotta like our Garland vs. Loaiza match-up tonight. Unfortunately, our AL friends ain't doing much to help us agin the Twinks and Tiggers. Cleveland's starting this Fausto Carmona kid who's gone 0-9 w/ a 6+ era since winning his MLB debut back in April (and this against John Satan), whilst the O's are sending rookie Hayden Penn up against Bonderman. Oh--how's this Penn kid, you ask? Howzabout 0-2 w/ a 36.92 era??

How about a little help here?! :angry:

I guess we can only ask that our rivals look like we do whenever a struggling rookie gets a start against us...:(:

sox1970
09-15-2006, 05:58 PM
I'm scoreboard watching about as much as anyone, but what it really comes down to, is the Sox have to play outstanding baseball the next 16 games to make the playoffs. They won't be backing in.

BanditJimmy
09-15-2006, 06:00 PM
We faced 3 no names (include Tavarez) versus Boston and only managed to take 1 of 3 from them.

The Sox had their chance to beat up on KC, Boston, TB, & Cleveland all they did was tread water. Now we sort of have our backs to the wall, and we are here because we couldn't take care of our own business.

I have a good feeling about this A's Series. 2 of 3 is a must and we have our top 3 starters going.

LuvSox
09-15-2006, 06:08 PM
What a race we have. The Sox can still win 95+ games. Just a thought.

Jerko
Well, interesting to see the full three-way battle continue tonight.

We've gotta like our Garland vs. Loaiza match-up tonight. Unfortunately, our AL friends ain't doing much to help us agin the Twinks and Tiggers. Cleveland's starting this Fausto Carmona kid who's gone 0-9 w/ a 6+ era since winning his MLB debut back in April (and this against John Satan), whilst the O's are sending rookie Hayden Penn up against Bonderman. Oh--how's this Penn kid, you ask? Howzabout 0-2 w/ a 36.92 era??

How about a little help here?! :angry:

I guess we can only ask that our rivals look like we do whenever a struggling rookie gets a start against us...:(:

That's why you can't piss away games in July and August. We've faced our share of losers too and didn't get the job done. Let's just go on a streak now and render these other teams moot. :cool:

Myrtle72
Considering both the Toons and the O's are eliminated from the playoffs... they don't have much reason to put their best pitchers in the mix. They're proabably playing these guys to give them stats or to test them to see how well the do in major league games.

palehozenychicty
09-15-2006, 06:17 PM
We faced 3 no names (include Tavarez) versus Boston and only managed to take 1 of 3 from them.

The Sox had their chance to beat up on KC, Boston, TB, & Cleveland all they did was tread water. Now we sort of have our backs to the wall, and we are here because we couldn't take care of our own business.

I have a good feeling about this A's Series. 2 of 3 is a must and we have our top 3 starters going.

I think the Sox will play well from here on out, but those games against the Royals/Red Sox/Indjans may be the difference in this thing. I hope not.

Procol Harum
09-15-2006, 06:19 PM
Truth it is that we gotta take care of our biz first and foremost. Recent signals that our starting pitching is coming around are very encouraging. But here's hopin' that the likes of the unstoppable Fausto Carmona can pull off a little September magic tonight!

HotelWhiteSox
09-15-2006, 06:19 PM
The Sox can still take care of their own business since they have games with Det and Min but you are basically asking them to win out to not lose ground anywhere else. The Sox can't complain about the other teams though, because they also got to face the crappy teams and their crappy pitchers

SABRSox
09-15-2006, 07:41 PM
Hayden Penn is a lot better than those numbers bear out. He could just sneak up and take one from the Tigers. But the Oriole offense is going to have to have a say in that.

Myrtle72
09-15-2006, 07:50 PM
I agree that the Sox need to take care of their business first - but if the Twins or the Tigers don't lose, the Sox can't gain any ground anyway. The Sox could win every single one of their last 16 games and still end up in third place if the Tigers and the Twins do also. Not that that would ever happen... but my point is, they have to lose a couple of the games, because even if the Sox take care of their business - its not set in stone that they'll make the playoffs.

JB98
09-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Hayden Penn is a lot better than those numbers bear out. He could just sneak up and take one from the Tigers. But the Oriole offense is going to have to have a say in that.

Hayden Penn sucks. The numbers and his performance tonight bear that out.

IlliniSox4Life
09-15-2006, 09:19 PM
I agree that the Sox need to take care of their business first - but if the Twins or the Tigers don't lose, the Sox can't gain any ground anyway. The Sox could win every single one of their last 16 games and still end up in third place if the Tigers and the Twins do also. Not that that would ever happen... but my point is, they have to lose a couple of the games, because even if the Sox take care of their business - its not set in stone that they'll make the playoffs.

The Sox have 3 games verse Minny and 3 verse Detroit left. So, if the sox win every single one of their last 16 games, it is set in stone that they will make the playoffs.

Myrtle72
09-15-2006, 09:51 PM
The Sox have 3 games verse Minny and 3 verse Detroit left. So, if the sox win every single one of their last 16 games, it is set in stone that they will make the playoffs.

Oh, duh. I completely forgot about that!

Glad you proved me wrong! :cool: