PDA

View Full Version : Talking about Freddys brush with making history

Myrtle72
09-15-2006, 04:23 PM
So, there has been a lot of criticism going around lately about Hawk mentioning Freddy's possible no-hitter on the air before he actually completed it. Obviously, fans/critics are upset because they believe Hawk jinxed it and thus, Freddy threw a one-hitter instead.

I am curious, what do you all think about this? Do you think it was okay for Hawk to mention this on the air going into the 8th inning? Or do you think Hawk is the reason Freddy had a brush with making history, but didn't quite get there?

My personal opinion is that it's fine for an announcer or even a fan to mention a no-hitter when it looks like itís close to actually happening. Part of this is because I am not one to believe in superstitions like this. Also, I feel that as long as the pitcher doesn't actually hear the conversations about the no-hitter, it's okay. If the pitcher hears talk about it then, yes, it would probably make him nervous and he might actually screw it up. Of course, I'm sure from even the 5th or 6th inning on, Freddy was thinking about pitching a no-hitter and of course became more anxious than he would in any other game, but as long as his teammates or people within earshot don't put further pressure on him, it's okay. I also feel that by Hawk mentioning it and possibly talking about it, it draws more attention in from fans who are watching it on TV. It's fun to talk about it if you're not someone who's actually participating in it because you can share the excitement with the people around you.

So, anyway, what do you all think about this?

MUsoxfan
09-15-2006, 04:28 PM
Holy Christ...

Hawk had nothing to do with it. Farmio had nothing to do with it. I had nothing to do with it when I was laying on my couch. Nobody had anything to do with it except for Freddy and that scrappy Adam Kennedy.

There's no such thing as a jinx

Iwritecode
09-15-2006, 04:28 PM
So, there has been a lot of criticism going around lately about Hawk mentioning Freddy's possible no-hitter on the air before he actually completed it. Obviously, fans/critics are upset because they believe Hawk jinxed it and thus, Freddy threw a one-hitter instead.

I am curious, what do you all think about this? Do you think it was okay for Hawk to mention this on the air going into the 8th inning? Or do you think Hawk is the reason Freddy had a brush with making history, but didn't quite get there?

My personal opinion is that it's fine for an announcer or even a fan to mention a no-hitter when it looks like itís close to actually happening. Part of this is because I am not one to believe in superstitions like this. Also, I feel that as long as the pitcher doesn't actually hear the conversations about the no-hitter, it's okay. If the pitcher hears talk about it then, yes, it would probably make him nervous and he might actually screw it up. Of course, I'm sure from even the 5th or 6th inning on, Freddy was thinking about pitching a no-hitter and of course became more anxious than he would in any other game, but as long as his teammates or people within earshot don't put further pressure on him, it's okay. I also feel that by Hawk mentioning it and possibly talking about it, it draws more attention in from fans who are watching it on TV. It's fun to talk about it if you're not someone who's actually participating in it because you can share the excitement with the people around you.

So, anyway, what do you all think about this?

Kass has an awesome article about this in the Trib today.

Patrick134
09-15-2006, 04:30 PM
What's next ? Maybe Freddy stepped on the third base chalk line walking out to the mound in the 8th ? Meaningless.

cheeses_h_rice
09-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Sometimes "baseball people" and their inane superstitions are the biggest poopypants whiners on the planet.

Get over it, I say. Freddy couldn't hear Hawk to save his life.

Myrtle72
09-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Kass has an awesome article about this in the Trib today.

That's actually where I got the idea for this tread from. Do you think the Trib might post it online anytime soon? I was trying to find it online, but couldn't.

Trav
09-15-2006, 04:32 PM
I don't like to mention it because everytime I have called a brother or father (or vice versa) to let him know So-and-So is pitcing a no hitter or perfect game they always give it up right after. But John Kass has a great article about this on the Tribune's website. He mentions that Vin Scully said the words "perfect game" twice during Sandy Kofax' perfect game and that he would wait to see if Moronatti would claim that Scully doesn't know a thing about baseball either. I guess just knowing that Moronatti has the same opinion as me is enough to make me change my mind so now I agree with you on this, Myrtle.

slobes
09-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Hawk did not affect the outcome of the ball game in any way, shape, or form. Anyone who believes otherwise has problems.

Myrtle72
09-15-2006, 04:33 PM
But John Kass has a great article about this on the Tribune's website.

Can you post the link?

Myrtle72
09-15-2006, 04:34 PM
Hawk did not affect the outcome of the ball game in any way, shape, or form. Anyone who believes otherwise has problems.

Or Hawk has telepathic powers.

cheeses_h_rice
09-15-2006, 04:34 PM
Can you post the link?

:?:

It's on the front page of chicagotribune.com (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-0609150156sep15,1,7137614.column?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed).

Myrtle72
09-15-2006, 04:36 PM
:?:

It's on the front page of chicagotribune.com (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-0609150156sep15,1,7137614.column?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed).

ha. Thanks. I swear, it wasn't there earlier when I was looking for it...

I'm not crazy! :D:

flo-B-flo
09-15-2006, 04:41 PM
I don't believe in superstitions. But doesn't Hawk have to be IN the dugout in order to jinx it? Freddie G went 3-2 against that pesky **** Kennedy and he prevailed. I was hoping it would stay in the air so BriAn could get it. It didn't and he couldn't. 2 years in a row Freddie G almost got a no-no.

MUsoxfan
09-15-2006, 04:43 PM
2 years in a row Freddie G almost got a no-no.

'06 was alot better than '05. Damn that Jacque Jones

Scottzilla
09-15-2006, 04:54 PM
If not Hawk then the scoreboard would have jinxed Freddy.

god i cant belive anyone even noticed what moronotti wrote. why would anyone even read him? Hes really just slinging mud at this point. He really is pathetic. When this whole thing started with Hawk I went on line and read the mariotti columns. I felt like such a dope because then I realized thats what it was all about.

I think the whole point of jinxes is for everyone else to try to get involved in a rare event. Its fun to play along. Some people though take things too seriously or just use little things like this to prove a completely unrelated point.

I hate people who make their living by spewing negativity.

Soxfanspcu11
09-15-2006, 04:56 PM
'06 was alot better than '05. Damn that Jacque Jones

Exactly, at least we got the win THIS time!

Jockstrap Jones=:angry: . If I ever see that dude, anywhere, I am going to go up to him, ask him for an autograph, hopefully obtain it, say thanks, and then flip the paper in the air, stare at it and strut down the steet like Travolta.

Anywho, I personally DO believe in baseball superstitions. My hands were lyterially shaking going into the bottom of the 8th because I wanted him to get it so bad. I almost stabbed myself when he lost it, it pissed me off THHHHHHHHAAAAAAAT much. I know, I have problems. :whiner:

chaerulez
09-15-2006, 05:00 PM
Hawk was doing his job. His job is to inform the viewers of what is going on in the game. He did just that. During Anibal Sanchez no hitter, wasn't he openly talking about it with his teammates?

Myrtle72
09-15-2006, 05:01 PM
Anywho, I personally DO believe in baseball superstitions. My hands were lyterially shaking going into the bottom of the 8th because I wanted him to get it so bad. I almost stabbed myself when he lost it, it pissed me off THHHHHHHHAAAAAAAT much. I know, I have problems. :whiner:

Haha. You don't have to believe in superstitions to be nervous about it! I was pretty darn nervous also when I was watching the game! I was at work at the time and got almost the entire staff interested in game as well by the 7th! Even though I'm the only true Sox fan in the group, everyone was pretty dissapointed to see that hit.

Lip Man 1
09-15-2006, 05:42 PM
Apparently the folks at WGN-TV wrote Jay and the Sun-Times a letter about his critiscism of them. Scott Reifert has it on his blog at whitesox.com

Lip

TommyJohn
09-15-2006, 06:06 PM
If Hawk could affect the outcome of games with what he says in the booth,
the White Sox would be undefeated World Series Champions 16 years
running.

And Willie Harris would've really made everyone forget about Roberto Alomar.

buehrle4cy05
09-15-2006, 06:12 PM
Yes, most of the time these things are mentioned the pitcher loses the no-hitter/perfecto, but it's not because it was mentioned. It's because it's really ****ing hard to throw a no-hitter or a perfect game.

Dick Allen
09-15-2006, 06:21 PM
If baseball outcomes are determined by superstitions, we're all in trouble. I remember Harry Caray always would mention if someone had a no-hitter going. What about people who tune in late and don't know what's going on, I'm sure they'd like to be informed.

kittle42
09-15-2006, 06:25 PM
Superstitions are idiotic.

drewcifer
09-15-2006, 07:05 PM
If Hawk could affect the outcome of games with what he says in the booth,
the White Sox would be undefeated World Series Champions 16 years
running.

Nice, TJ. I went through the first page hoping nobody else said that first...

Spoiler! :D:

MarySwiss
09-15-2006, 08:31 PM
Apparently the folks at WGN-TV wrote Jay and the Sun-Times a letter about his critiscism of them. Scott Reifert has it on his blog at whitesox.com

Lip
Can't find it, Lip. Got a link?

Chips
09-15-2006, 08:36 PM
Superstitions are idiotic.

Yes they are.

Myrtle72
09-16-2006, 01:10 AM
Can't find it, Lip. Got a link?

Mary -

You can read Scott's blog at:

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/

That has the info Lip is talking about.

jdm2662
09-16-2006, 08:30 AM
Do people know that yahoo game cast put game notes when a no-hitter/perfect game is happening from the six inning on? I remember Hawk made it known when Wilson Alverez was pitching his no-hitter. Seriously, it's just dumb. I was going to go to bed last night, but I noticed Greg Maddux had a no hitter through six thanks to mlb headlines. I stayed up until he lost it. He was cursed!

MarySwiss
09-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Mary -

You can read Scott's blog at:

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/

That has the info Lip is talking about.

Thanks!