PDA

View Full Version : moronic question by Bernstein to McCarthy

BainesHOF
09-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Bernstein just asked McCarthy if a pitcher pitches a hitter differently depending on the amount of foul territory on the field.

Unbelievable. It's got to be the dumbest question I've heard a member of the media ask an athlete.

JorgeFabregas
09-15-2006, 03:28 PM
I don't think that's a dumb question. Fairly obscure, but not dumb.

pasquasroachclip
09-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Too bad Bernstein is not half as smart as he thinks he is.

drewcifer
09-15-2006, 03:33 PM
Bernstein just asked McCarthy if a pitcher pitches a hitter differently depending on the amount of foul territory on the field.

Unbelievable. It's got to be the dumbest question I've heard a member of the media ask an athlete.

Well, for those of us that didn't hear the interview, what pray tell, was 'ole "Meatball" McCarthy's response?

Tekijawa
09-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Well, for those of us that didn't hear the interview, what pray tell, was 'ole "Meatball" McCarthy's response?

"I usually just throw it down the middle no matter what the situation is! I really don't pay attention to foul territory, but if there is a lot of space in the outfield then I know I really have to hang one for them to get good wood on. I hate pitching in the park up in Detroit because there's a lot of space out there and Brian usually catches those... that one is the hardest park to give up more than 2 or 3 runs in a quick stint out of the bullpen..."

guillen4life13
09-15-2006, 03:43 PM
I still hold much hope for McCarthy as a starter. He's having a bad year in relief. I think he will consistently thrive as a starter.

And wow, I think that's a kind of pointless question. Maybe he should ask Mark Prior instead.

stacksedwards
09-15-2006, 03:44 PM
Odd question,not dumb. But a revelant one due to the fact that you could build playgrounds in the foul Territory at Oakland's home park. (Do not remember sponser's name, maybe Network's Associates).

eriqjaffe
09-15-2006, 03:46 PM
(Do not remember sponser's name, maybe Network's Associates).McAfee, currently.

stacksedwards
09-15-2006, 03:47 PM
Any one want to set an over/under on the number of times Hawk mentions the foul teritory tonight?

BainesHOF
It's odd and dumb.

McCarthy was at first a bit confused by the question because Bernstein stumbled around and asked it in a convoluted way before finally spitting it out more directly. McCarthy was polite in his response, but basically his answer was "No."

Jerko
Hopefully the Raiders' suckage at McAfee rubs off on the A's the next 3 days.

southside rocks
I still hold much hope for McCarthy as a starter. He's having a bad year in relief. I think he will consistently thrive as a starter.

And wow, I think that's a kind of pointless question. Maybe he should ask Mark Prior instead.

I can't see why McCarthy, if he can't get batters out as a reliever, will suddenly be able to do that as a starter --but I'll hope you're right.

So what WAS Mac's response to the question??

Baby Fisk
09-15-2006, 03:54 PM
Any one want to set an over/under on the number of times Hawk mentions the foul teritory tonight?

:hawk
"Now Yaz, he had the most foul territory I've ever seen. He was one hairy sonofagun. You'd hate to take a shower next to him cuz you'd come out of there with more hair on you than when you went in."

:DJ
*Baffled silence.*

:hawk
"Mercy."

:DJ
"Pauly's 1 for 2 with a walk tonight..."

drewcifer
09-15-2006, 03:57 PM
So what WAS Mac's response to the question??
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f322/fugnutz/mccarthy.jpg
"Rick Vaughn helped me develop a little pitch called, The See-ya-Later."

stl_sox_fan
09-15-2006, 04:09 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f322/fugnutz/mccarthy.jpg
"Rick Vaughn helped me develop a little pitch called, The See-ya-Later."

Spicy fastball?

Yet another reason why Photoshop is greatest invention of all time.

0o0o0
09-15-2006, 04:10 PM
:?: Why is that the dumbest question you've ever heard?

BainesHOF
09-15-2006, 04:25 PM
:?: Why is that the dumbest question you've ever heard?

Because the answer is obviously no. A pitcher would never try to induce a batter to foul out.

JorgeFabregas
09-15-2006, 04:31 PM
He was grasping for straws as to why the White Sox are something like 8-26 in Oakland since 2000. Those years consisted of 1 division winner, 3 second-place finishers, and a world series (and division, obviously) winner.

Realist
09-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Because the answer is obviously no. A pitcher would never try to induce a batter to foul out.

But pitchers do adjust the way they pitch to batters based on the on field game time conditions, and that would include foul territory.

I agree with those who say that it's an obscure question, but not a bad one.

TomBradley72
09-15-2006, 05:03 PM
But pitchers do adjust the way they pitch to batters based on the on field game time conditions, and that would include foul territory.

I agree with those who say that it's an obscure question, but not a bad one.

But if you think it through....how could a pitcher POSSIBLY pitch differently based on the size of the foul territory? Keep the ball down? up? fastballs? breaking stuff? inside? off the plate?.....nothing correlates to more/fewer foul balls. That's what makes the question so ridiculous.

Lip Man 1
09-15-2006, 05:08 PM
The pitcher would throw inside more to dead pull hitters actually up and in trying to get them to golf one in the air foul.

The question would have been better worded though if he asked, does a pitcher throw to hitters differently in parks that have deeper fences? Especially in the power alleys.

Lip

Myrtle72
09-15-2006, 05:29 PM

Perhaps that's because it takes him a while to warm up, much like a starter would. And maybe he's better as a starter because he ALWAYS does better after an inning or so. All of these things make me wonder why he is pitching relief in the first place. I hope he does get the chance to become a starter soon because I think that will allow him to show everyone what he can really do.

NardiWasHere
09-15-2006, 05:31 PM

I think its an interesting question... not pointless

I don't understand the Prior thing..... Mark Prior/The Cubs have nothing to do with Dan Bernstein interviewing Brandon McCarthy... now THAT was pointless.

cheeses_h_rice
09-15-2006, 05:35 PM
I don't understand the Prior thing..... Mark Prior/The Cubs have nothing to do with Dan Bernstein interviewing Brandon McCarthy... now THAT was pointless.

I think that's a Steve Bartman reference (Prior was on the bump that night).

NardiWasHere
09-15-2006, 05:42 PM
I think that's a Steve Bartman reference (Prior was on the bump that night).

Ah, nevermind then.... Probably should have caught that reference

Scottzilla
09-15-2006, 06:07 PM
Is it a dumb question if a blind man asks what color the sky is?

tick53
09-15-2006, 06:49 PM

Hear hear to that Roach. I used to like B&B but now they think they're Gods gift to talk radio and they treat their callers like idiots.:mad:

Huisj
09-15-2006, 07:17 PM
Perhaps that's because it takes him a while to warm up, much like a starter would. And maybe he's better as a starter because he ALWAYS does better after an inning or so. All of these things make me wonder why he is pitching relief in the first place. I hope he does get the chance to become a starter soon because I think that will allow him to show everyone what he can really do.

And another thing is mindset. Pitching in relief is different from starting in terms of the mental approach, is it not? In relief, it's often high pressure get-it-done-now-or-be-screwed, but when you start, you always have a clean slate (no mess from another pitcher to take care of), the tone of the game hasn't been set yet, and you can do things one inning that set things up in another inning. Giving up a run here and there as a starter isn't the end of the world, and over the course of throwing a hundred pitches you learn what's working for you that night and what isn't and adjust accordingly.

Some guys thrive on the adrenaline and pressure of relief and use it to do well in that role, and some guys like the rhythm and familiarity of starting and do well in that role.

Look at it this way: some guys are star relievers but can't be effective starters because after a few innings they run out of gas or the other team adjusts to pitches they throw. Why can't it go the other way around, that a guy could be a good starter but a bad reliever?

SluggersAway
09-15-2006, 07:35 PM
There are no stupid questions only stupid answers.

drewcifer
09-15-2006, 07:38 PM
There are no stupid questions only stupid answers.

Now this is a thinker, here! Refer to post #4. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1348393&postcount=4)

hawkjt
09-15-2006, 07:53 PM
I heard the interview and yes it was a dumb question. Berns thought he was being clever and off beat but Brandon was non-plussed and again basically politely said no. But you could tell he was thinking this guy was beyond anal which he is.

B & B waste a portion of the interview talking to each other while Brandon cools his heels on the phone waiting for them to allow him into the interview.

No info was imparted cuz no good questions were asked.
We found out that some of the players may have gone to Alcatraz on the off day but Brandon slept in. Thats about it- altho we had a scintillating conversation between B & B about the chopiness of the waters around the prison- great stuff for a baseball interview.

sox647
09-15-2006, 08:09 PM
bernstein...:booty:

SOXandILLINI
09-15-2006, 08:16 PM
it quite possibly is the dumbest question i have ever heard, and for those who think it's odd but not stupid, please explain.

SluggersAway
09-15-2006, 08:28 PM
it quite possibly is the dumbest question i have ever heard, and for those who think it's odd but not stupid, please explain.

Refer to post Number 21. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1348516&postcount=21)

Brian26
09-15-2006, 09:33 PM

Refer to post Number 21. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1348516&postcount=21)

A very good *hitter* can foul off pitches at will to extend an at bat. A very good pitcher can't cause a lineup of guys to consistently hit foul balls. If a pitcher is jamming a pull hitter inside, the pull hitter's going to quickly start taking pitches.

SluggersAway
09-15-2006, 09:44 PM
Brian,

Too many qualifiers and "ifs" to make a valid argument in that post.

Brian26
09-15-2006, 09:47 PM
Brian,

Too many qualifiers and "ifs" to make a valid argument in that post.

In my post or Lip's?

SluggersAway
09-15-2006, 09:51 PM
In yours, but just to play along, the hitter with the hits going into foul territory will have a greater probability of being caught out if the foul territory is larger.

cbrownson13
09-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Hear hear to that Roach. I used to like B&B but now they think they're Gods gift to talk radio and they treat their callers like idiots.:mad:

A lot of them are.

ondafarm
09-15-2006, 10:10 PM

Albert Einstein wasn't that smart.

Brian26
09-15-2006, 10:11 PM
In yours, but just to play along, the hitter with the hits going into foul territory will have a greater probability of being caught out if the foul territory is larger.

That's just an aside, and it's pretty common knowledge. I'm not debating that, as I don't think it needs to be argued. Good hitters can foul off pitches to extend a count. You see it all the time. Hawk claims Ted Williams could do it at will.

I'm debating the notion that a pitcher can cause an entire lineup of batters to foul pitches off on purpose.

SluggersAway
09-15-2006, 10:22 PM
I didn't see Bernstein's question quoted directly, but never did I see it phrased like that.

gjdodger
09-15-2006, 10:27 PM
Perhaps Hawk has just been reading "The Kid Who Batted 1.000," a juvenile book in which a young player gets advice--I think from a bird or something--which allows him to foul off every strike, and therefore gets a walk every time up. If Ted Williams could foul off pitches "at will," he would have batted 1.000, and he did pretty well anyway. I think it's an excellent question (the pitching strategy when foul territory is vaster). I always felt the single biggest change in baseball that contributed to the offensive surge over the last generation was the new "cozy" ballparks, with hardly any foul territory at all.

Nellie_Fox
09-15-2006, 11:58 PM
Perhaps Hawk has just been reading "The Kid Who Batted 1.000," a juvenile book in which a young player gets advice--I think from a bird or something--which allows him to foul off every strike, and therefore gets a walk every time up. If Ted Williams could foul off pitches "at will," he would have batted 1.000, and he did pretty well anyway. I think it's an excellent question (the pitching strategy when foul territory is vaster). I always felt the single biggest change in baseball that contributed to the offensive surge over the last generation was the new "cozy" ballparks, with hardly any foul territory at all.A walk every time up would not give you a 1.000 batting average. You would have no batting average, because you would have zero hits in zero at bats. Your on-base percentage would, however, be 1.000, but that's not "batting" 1.000

jabrch
09-16-2006, 12:02 AM
I'm finding more and more annoying Sox fans as I find more and more Sox fans.

FedEx227
09-16-2006, 12:08 AM
I can't see why McCarthy, if he can't get batters out as a reliever, will suddenly be able to do that as a starter --but I'll hope you're right.

Lots of guys do this. Look at Luke Hudson of the Royals, Johan Santana wasn't an overpowering reliever either. Some guys feel they have more time to set up the game how they want as starters. As a reliever, its "get this guy, or get these two guys."

SOXandILLINI
09-16-2006, 12:14 AM
A very good *hitter* can foul off pitches at will to extend an at bat. A very good pitcher can't cause a lineup of guys to consistently hit foul balls. If a pitcher is jamming a pull hitter inside, the pull hitter's going to quickly start taking pitches.
you guys crack me up... foul off pitches at will... *****... it's a moronic question, and if you honestly believe pitchers are thinking of the amount of foul territory during a ballgame, you may wanna seek help yourself.

Madscout
09-16-2006, 12:15 AM
Speaking of McCarthy, it is the bottom of the seventh, one man on, the hurt up, and guess who is coming out of the pen. I have a bad feeling about this...

The Dude
09-16-2006, 12:22 AM
Speaking of McCarthy, it is the bottom of the seventh, one man on, the hurt up, and guess who is coming out of the pen. I have a bad feeling about this...

Gamethread?

slavko
09-16-2006, 12:31 AM
A discussion of fouling off pitches and no one mentions Sox great Luke Appling, who defined the art? Seriously, why are the batting averages so high at Fenway? Very little foul territory! It matters.

If you're looking for something in the McCarthy interview to pick at, why not McCarthy's statement that "there are 18 or 19 games left?" Is he as aware of the situation as we are? Is he the brightest bulb on the tree? If he doesn't know how many games are left, what are the odds that he lies awake at night thinking about the amount of foul territory anyway?

Brian26
09-16-2006, 12:44 AM
you guys crack me up... foul off pitches at will... *****... it's a moronic question, and if you honestly believe pitchers are thinking of the amount of foul territory during a ballgame, you may wanna seek help yourself.

You quote me, but then misrepresent what I say and combine three or different arguments into one.

I agree, it's a ridiculous question.

Read what I said again. A pitcher cannot deliberately cause batters to foul off pitches.

As an aside, I made a point, however, that great batters can foul off pitches. Hawk said that Ted Williams could foul them off at will.

Brian26
09-16-2006, 12:47 AM
A discussion of fouling off pitches and no one mentions Sox great Luke Appling, who defined the art? Seriously, why are the batting averages so high at Fenway? Very little foul territory! It matters.

Nobody is denying that foul territory can affect batting average. This just happens to be a biproduct of the ballpark.

The discussion is in regards to cause and effect (ie can a pitcher cause a batter to foul off more pitches than he wants to).

Nellie_Fox
09-16-2006, 02:12 AM
I made a point, however, that great batters can foul off pitches. Hawk said that Ted Williams could foul them off at will.I'm (barely) not old enough to have seen Luke Appling play, but apparently he could spoil pitches with the absolute best of them. He'd chop pitch after pitch into the seats on the sides until he got the one he wanted.

TomBradley72
09-16-2006, 11:11 AM
The discussion is in regards to cause and effect (ie can a pitcher cause a batter to foul off more pitches than he wants to).

And it's even more specific than that....it's "can a pitcher cause a batter to hit more foul territory pop ups/fly balls than he wants to"...

SOXandILLINI
09-16-2006, 09:54 PM
You quote me, but then misrepresent what I say and combine three or different arguments into one.

I agree, it's a ridiculous question.

Read what I said again. A pitcher cannot deliberately cause batters to foul off pitches.

As an aside, I made a point, however, that great batters can foul off pitches. Hawk said that Ted Williams could foul them off at will.
ok... show me the stat that said ted williams never struck out... foul off at will..:rolleyes: hyperbole... and in reference to another poster, i would never claim that foul territory or the lack there of, doesn't affect batting averages, of course it does incramentally.

Nordy
09-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Bernstein and Hawk are both morons.

Fouling off pitches at will ? yeah right.

This thread is a waste of time on a stupid topic.

This tread is now over.

SOXandILLINI
09-16-2006, 10:12 PM
Bernstein and Hawk are both morons.

Fouling off pitches at will ? yeah right.

This thread is a waste of time on a stupid topic.

This tread is now over.
nordy, strong first post... didn't wayne nordhagen foul off pitches at will?