PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Last Sunday Of The Season

WisSoxFan
09-15-2006, 08:59 AM
Let's say the Sox and Twins are tied for first going into that last game and the Tigers are two back thus both the Sox and Twins are in the post-season. Right now Garland is slated to go against Santana on that day, but would either or both teams save their ace for the ALDS or would they pitch them in hopes of winning the Cenral? My guess is that we would see neither as both teams would stand a better chance against whoever they faced in the post-season with their aces able to pitch two of the fives games. Thoughts?

Myrtle72
09-15-2006, 09:00 AM
The Twins would DEFINITELY put Santana agains us. They're vindictive like that. And as a result, we would have to play Garland as to not look silly, because at least we would be putting up a fight.

soxfan13
09-15-2006, 09:07 AM
The Twins would DEFINITELY put Santana agains us. They're vindictive like that. And as a result, we would have to play Garland as to not look silly, because at least we would be putting up a fight.

I think both aces would go because wouldnt it mean the difference between playing the Yankees or A's?

ondafarm
09-15-2006, 09:07 AM
With a mind to post-season, the Twins definately do not want to face the Yankee$ in the first round. They do not match up well against them. The A's, the Twins think they can handle. The Twins have a strong preference to win the division and in the case you mentioned, they'd probably trot out Santana.

dividedsk717
09-15-2006, 11:02 AM
Play to win the game: start Garland.

mrfourni
09-15-2006, 11:11 AM
Wouldn't they both be playing for home field advantage also?

Britt Burns
09-15-2006, 11:13 AM
Play to win today: Garland v. Santana

Iwritecode
09-15-2006, 11:16 AM
With a mind to post-season, the Twins definately do not want to face the Yankee$ in the first round. They do not match up well against them. The A's, the Twins think they can handle. The Twins have a strong preference to win the division and in the case you mentioned, they'd probably trot out Santana.

If they do that, who starts game one of the ALDS?

I'd take my chances with having Santana pitching twice in a 5-game series, even if it is against the Yankees. They'll have to face them or the Sox in the ALCS eventually anyway.

Besides, they'd look really stupid if they ran Santana out there, he ended up losing (yes, it can happen) and then they had to face the Yankees with him only pitching in game 2 or 3.

WisSoxFan
09-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Home field advantage was a good point. It's possible that they could both be going on the road regardless or the winner could get home field. It depends on the A's of course. Should have incorporated that into the hypothetical.

Iwritecode
09-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Wouldn't they both be playing for home field advantage also?

Depends on the Yankees and A's records.

Scottzilla
09-15-2006, 11:31 AM
I'd start Garland. Play to win today and - we should have plenty of confidence in the rest of our rotation. I dont think the stinkies have that luxury