PDA

View Full Version : When do we start talking extension for Dye?

Thome25
09-15-2006, 08:18 AM
I'm sorry in advance if there is already a thread on this subject. If there is, mods would you please merge it?

Anyway, JD has been unstoppable this year. He is without question our MVP. He took a discount before the 2005 season to sign with the Sox because he had a verbal agreement with KW.

That right there shows that he has great character and is an extremely honorable guy. But, as a result he is underpaid. I honestly believe that he isn't the kind to pull a Frank Thomas or Scottie Pippen and complain that he's not getting paid.

Why not tear up his current deal and sign him to something a little more long term? The time seems right to do so. I know that Sox fans (myself included) would love to see this guy locked up past next year.

With that said we get to my question. Do you think the Sox should lock him up? And if so when do you think they start negotiations? Personally, I think the sooner the better.

This guy has shown character on and off the field and I want him to be with the Sox for a while. What do you think?

GO SOX!!!!! BEAT THE BIG HURT AND THOSE A's!!!!

esbrechtel
09-15-2006, 08:29 AM
they should have started yesterday...

rdwj
09-15-2006, 08:36 AM
The sooner the better as far as I'm concerned. He's easily the best offensive player on this team and plays a decent right too.

esbrechtel
09-15-2006, 08:38 AM
The sooner the better as far as I'm concerned. He's easily the best offensive player on this team and plays a decent left too.
when did he play left? :?:

drewcifer
09-15-2006, 08:41 AM
I don't think you'll find anyone who doesn't want him on the team and locked up for a long time...

But a contract is a contract and you have to think about the fiscal responsibilites of the team. There is always the risk of injury as well, so I don't think it prudent to rip up his current contract. Best I know, the Sox can exercise his option for '07 and keep him for $6M. That's prolly 1/2 of what he's worth on the market for the performance he's put up this year, but it leaves payroll space for other things during the Stove season like pitching and OF options.

Does he deserve more? Yes. Should his contract be ripped up? No.

rdwj
09-15-2006, 08:52 AM
when did he play left? :?:

LOL - that's what I get for typing and being on a conference call at the same time - fixing it...

Thome25
09-15-2006, 08:59 AM
After next season, I'd sure hate to see Dye go back home to one of the California teams with deep pockets like the Angels, Dodgers, or Giants

southside rocks
09-15-2006, 09:30 AM
You have to think that the odds are very good that Dye gets an extension, and a significant raise, after this season is over.

Why not do it now?

Well, because JD isn't the only player having an excellent year, and to announce tomorrow that he has a new deal would raise lots of questions about why Crede and a couple of other guys don't have a new deal yet.

With 16 games left in the regular season and every one of them vital, the management is probably thinking that contracts are best left until after those 16 games are concluded.

Remember the way Konerko played through last season with FA status at the end of it, and refused to even talk about a contract -- with anyone -- until the World Series was over? Contract talks and announcements can be a tremendous distraction to a team that's in a fight for a title.

IMO that's why Dye doesn't have a new deal today. And that's why he may have a new deal the day after the Sox play their last game of the year, be it October 1 or the final post-season game.

It's not like the club doesn't recognize Dye's performance and contributions, after all.

ETA: And if Dye does win the MVP award, he should and would want to use that fact in contract negotiations, so it's not fair to him to start those talks now.

Thome25
09-15-2006, 09:33 AM
You have to think that the odds are very good that Dye gets an extension, and a significant raise, after this season is over.

Why not do it now?

Well, because JD isn't the only player having an excellent year, and to announce tomorrow that he has a new deal would raise lots of questions about why Crede and a couple of other guys don't have a new deal yet.

With 16 games left in the regular season and every one of them vital, the management is probably thinking that contracts are best left until after those 16 games are concluded.

Remember the way Konerko played through last season with FA status at the end of it, and refused to even talk about a contract -- with anyone -- until the World Series was over? Contract talks and announcements can be a tremendous distraction to a team that's in a fight for a title.

IMO that's why Dye doesn't have a new deal today. And that's why he may have a new deal the day after the Sox play their last game of the year, be it October 1 or the final post-season game.

It's not like the club doesn't recognize Dye's performance and contributions, after all.

I love Crede but the main reason he doesn't have a long-term deal and will probably never sign long term with the Sox is because Scott Bora$ is his agent.

It hurts to think about Crede being gone one day but that is inevitable. Dye on the other hand, is very signable. He may even give the Sox another discount the same way PK did.

southside rocks
09-15-2006, 09:42 AM
I love Crede but the main reason he doesn't have a long-term deal and will probably never sign long term with the Sox is because Scott Bora$ is his agent.

With all due respect, I think you're making that assumption based on non-current information.

Joe Crede has said publicly that his agent is not an impediment to him signing a multi-year deal with the White Sox.

Joe Crede has further said publicly that if his current agent were to become an impediment, he [Joe] would change agents.

Joe Crede's agent has said that he is not aware of any obstacles that prevent his client and the Sox from conducting contract negotiations.

When can we let go of the "we can't keep Crede because Boras represents him" meme? It's old.

Kenny Williams doesn't like Scott Boras. Fine. Kenny Williams is a professional; Scott Boras is a professional; they both can deal with people they don't like. If KW prefers to use the assistant GM of the Sox to get deals done with Boras, that's one way. But KW is not going to send Joe Crede away from Chicago because he, KW, doesn't like Scott Boras. That's just stupid. :rolleyes:

And why do you want JD to sign before the MVP is decided? If he wins it, his price goes up.

Thome25
09-15-2006, 09:50 AM
With all due respect, I think you're making that assumption based on non-current information.

Joe Crede has said publicly that his agent is not an impediment to him signing a multi-year deal with the White Sox.

Joe Crede has further said publicly that if his current agent were to become an impediment, he [Joe] would change agents.

Joe Crede's agent has said that he is not aware of any obstacles that prevent his client and the Sox from conducting contract negotiations.

When can we let go of the "we can't keep Crede because Boras represents him" meme? It's old.

Kenny Williams doesn't like Scott Boras. Fine. Kenny Williams is a professional; Scott Boras is a professional; they both can deal with people they don't like. If KW prefers to use the assistant GM of the Sox to get deals done with Boras, that's one way. But KW is not going to send Joe Crede away from Chicago because he, KW, doesn't like Scott Boras. That's just stupid. :rolleyes:

And why do you want JD to sign before the MVP is decided? If he wins it, his price goes up.

When was the last time the Sox signed a free agent represented by Boras? When was the last time they kept one of their own free agent players who was reperesented by Boras? The White Sox more often than not have left draft picks unsigned because they were represented by Boras.

Until they prove that track record differently then the opinion on Crede will probably never change. No one is blaming the White Sox for this situation either. Boras is just a greedy ass.

Let's not get off the subject. The Sox can give Dye an extension before or after the MVP is announced. It doesn't matter as long as it happens as soon as possible. I just want them to lock him up.

He is a good guy on and off the field and I'd hate to see him go.

JohnTucker0814
09-15-2006, 10:29 AM
When was the last time the Sox signed a free agent represented by Boras? When was the last time they kept one of their own free agent players who was reperesented by Boras? The White Sox more often than not have left draft picks unsigned because they were represented by Boras.

Until they prove that track record differently then the opinion on Crede will probably never change. No one is blaming the White Sox for this situation either. Boras is just a greedy ass.

Let's not get off the subject. The Sox can give Dye an extension before or after the MVP is announced. It doesn't matter as long as it happens as soon as possible. I just want them to lock him up.

He is a good guy on and off the field and I'd hate to see him go.

Didn't the Sox and Boras agree to a contract this year instead of going into arbitration? If Boras was so "greedy" and KW wouldn't work with him, how did we get a 1 yr contract with Crede this year. Sure KW doesn't want to work with Boras when he is representing a Superstar like Arod because he will drive the price way up. Crede is not at that level yet.

russ99
09-15-2006, 11:28 AM
Didn't the Sox and Boras agree to a contract this year instead of going into arbitration? If Boras was so "greedy" and KW wouldn't work with him, how did we get a 1 yr contract with Crede this year. Sure KW doesn't want to work with Boras when he is representing a Superstar like Arod because he will drive the price way up. Crede is not at that level yet.

Kenny's assistant GM worked with Boras on this year's contract, and as long as that can keep working without acrimony, I don't see why Crede can't stay.

Scottzilla
09-15-2006, 11:56 AM
I don't think they want to negotiate with dye now because he is got huge leverage with mvp talk etc. I think they will stall as much as they can get away with in order for everyone to cool down.

Also , borass sucks, he finds the sox to be tough negotiaters and rips them in the press and tries to steer his clients to sign with suckers for big cash. Also it almost sounds like Crede is saying if you cant work with the white sox ill fire your ***.

BRDSR
09-15-2006, 11:58 AM

I can think of one obstacle to signing Joe to a long-term contract: his back. I love Joe Crede and sincerely hope he ancors the hot hot corner for the Sox for a long time, but if I were GM he wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell at getting more than 3-4 years from me(do we consider that long-term?). Those back problems just DO NOT go away and pretty much only get worse. Joe Crede has perennial All-Star written all over him and potential hall-of-famer but I would be surprised if he starts consistently past 2011 for any team.

Myrtle72
09-15-2006, 12:37 PM
I agree, because of the MVP factor, the Sox and Dye are going to wait to sign him. If he becomes MVP, the enitre negotiations will change.

BUT, I certainly hope we can lock Dye in for a couple more seasons. I believe he is only going to improve and if the Sox know what's good for them, they'll make sure he's on their side.

hawkjt
09-15-2006, 12:47 PM
yea, I hope after the season they rip up JD'd deal and sign him to a three year deal

Joes back is a concern but if he does have the arthroscopic surgery this offseason , that could clarify the issue. Maybe offer him a 4 year deal if the back prognosis is positive.

Borass was on the other day and said all the right things about negotiating with kenny and jerry.