PDA

View Full Version : No Gonzo in 07.

TheKittle
09-15-2006, 02:42 AM
The DBacks won't pick up the 2007 option on Luis Gonzalez. Played for the DBacks for nine years and had the game winning hit in Game 7 of the 2001 WS.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2588223

JorgeFabregas
09-15-2006, 03:03 AM
Terry Boers predicted this, amongst other veterans who are somewhat iconic to their franchises, but will likely be gone. He also mentioned Biggio, Bonds, Mike Sweeney, Jim Edmonds, and Darin Erstad. Might've mentioned a couple others.

MarySwiss
09-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Just read the coverage in The Arizona Republic. The team told him that they would not pick up his $10 million option for next year. But according to one article, Gonzo had let it be known that he was willing to restructure the contract and take less money, perhaps as much as half less. Apparently the owners did not want to discuss the possibility.

Many people in this parts--and I'm one of them--have not been too crazy about this owner group, ever since they "took over" from Jerry Colangelo. Just last week, they announced they were replacing the current very popular purple-based color scheme in the uniform with something called "Sedona sand" and tan. Ugh-ly! Now this. Ironically, one of the owners used to be Gonzo's agent! (The Republic adds that Craig Counsell--another fan favorite from the 2001 team--probably will also not be back.)

Many of the "what people are thinking" comments in the paper were unfavorable. A few people commented that Gonzo was no longer worth $10 million--comments which, if the story about him being willing to take much less is true, are baseless.

His agents say that they have no doubt that there will be interest in him in the offseason, but it is hard to think of Gonzo in another team's uniform. And given his involvement in the community, it's also hard to imagine him going anywhere else.
Sad day in the Valley. :(:

Norberto7
09-15-2006, 07:28 PM
...they announced they were replacing the current very popular purple-based color scheme in the uniform with something called "Sedona sand" and tan...

Are those uniforms really popular? I've always though they were among the most unrepentingly hideous clothing items out there. Not that the tan sounds much better...:unsure:

MarySwiss
09-15-2006, 07:47 PM
Are those uniforms really popular? I've always though they were among the most unrepentingly hideous clothing items out there. Not that the tan sounds much better...:unsure:

Somehow, I doubt you're from here. They are very popular; you see the purple D'Backs--not to mention the purple-and-orange Suns--gear all over the place.

ewokpelts
09-15-2006, 08:35 PM
roid user

StillMissOzzie
09-15-2006, 11:44 PM
roid user

After that 57 HR year in 2001, which he's never even made half of in every year since ( EVER, except for 31 in 2000), I'm sure that there were whispers. If the D-Backs are that adamant about not wanting him back under any circumstances, it certainly makes you wonder if LG's name came up in that other HGH investigation with that D-Back pitcher whose name escapes me at the moment.

Edit: Jason Grimsley's the guy I couldn't remember!

SMO
:gulp:

TheKittle
09-16-2006, 03:35 AM
After that 57 HR year in 2001, which he's never even made half of in every year since ( EVER, except for 31 in 2000), I'm sure that there were whispers. If the D-Backs are that adamant about not wanting him back under any circumstances, it certainly makes you wonder if LG's name came up in that other HGH investigation with that D-Back pitcher whose name escapes me at the moment.

Edit: Jason Grimsley's the guy I couldn't remember!

SMO
:gulp:

Gonzo never got huge like Giambi or Bonds or Mac or Sosa. He's always been kinda of thin, wiry strong guy.

caulfield12
09-16-2006, 06:22 AM
Terry Boers predicted this, amongst other veterans who are somewhat iconic to their franchises, but will likely be gone. He also mentioned Biggio, Bonds, Mike Sweeney, Jim Edmonds, and Darin Erstad. Might've mentioned a couple others.

Bonds' most likely destination was Oakland in mid-May, but now he's blocked by the Big Hurt.

Sweeney is getting paid $11 million next year to be injury-prone and iffy. Nobody in baseball will take that contract on unless the Royals pay half, which simply isn't going to happen under this present regime.

KW will probably at least look at Erstad and Edmonds because of their leadership capabilities, but neither adds speed and both are aging rapidly. They could be had on the "cheap" though. It's at least worth looking at to bring them in to play LF, if they can get a leadoff hitter for SS.

ewokpelts
09-16-2006, 12:44 PM
Gonzo never got huge like Giambi or Bonds or Mac or Sosa. He's always been kinda of thin, wiry strong guy.not all roids make you big....some lessen injuries., liek say, preventin gyour arm from falling off...right mr clemens?

AZChiSoxFan
09-18-2006, 02:25 PM
Somehow, I doubt you're from here. They are very popular; you see the purple D'Backs--not to mention the purple-and-orange Suns--gear all over the place.

I agree with you Mary.

How many more teams wearing red does one league need?

The purple was nice and unique. Unfortunately for the D-backs and their fans, purple was also the favorite color of J. Colangelo. The current ownership seems to be on a mission to rid the franchise of any and all traces of JC. Apparantly, that also includes winning seasons.