PDA

View Full Version : Slowest Baseball Player

wsoxfan111
09-14-2006, 05:44 PM
I was thinking about this last night after they credited Paulie with an "Infield Single".

This must have been the only possible oppertunity for Paulie to get an Infield Single.

So, this got me thinking, who is the slowest baseball player of all time?

My Pick - Paul Konerko, he MUST lead the league in "Being involved in Double-Plays." He is too slow to beat out a throw to first, and is too slow to break up a double play.

Post your thoughts.

MDF3530
09-14-2006, 05:45 PM
I was thinking about this last night after they credited Paulie with an "Infield Single".

This must have been the only possible oppertunity for Paulie to get an Infield Single.

So, this got me thinking, who is the slowest baseball player of all time?

My Pick - Paul Konerko, he MUST lead the league in "Being involved in Double-Plays." He is too slow to beat out a throw to first, and is too slow to break up a double play.

Post your thoughts.
PK. If there was a race between erosion, evolution and Paulie, Paulie would come in third.

The Immigrant
09-14-2006, 05:52 PM
Benji Molina makes Paul Konerko look like Ted Ginn, Jr.

LuvSox
09-14-2006, 05:52 PM
AJ could lose a foot race in an Alzheimer's wing of a nursing home, by a wide margin.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-14-2006, 05:53 PM
Slowest ever - Ernie Lombardi

Slowest today - Benji Molina

23Ventura
09-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Benji Molina's the slowest I've seen. He hit into an around-the-horn triple play against the Sox, and he wasn't even on the tv screen when paulie caught the throw to finish the play.

TDog
09-14-2006, 06:24 PM

Slowest today - Benji Molina

I've heard Ernie Lombardi mentioned as the slowest ever (amazing he won a batting title), but he is before my time.

The slowest baseball player I've seen in almost 40 years of paying attention to baseball was Ed Herrmann.

buehrle4cy05
09-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Mo Vaughn, if he was still playing, would win.

Otherwise, Benjie Molina is pretty damn slow. He made the out on the gravity-defying play by Tadahito back in April and was out by about 10 feet.

QCIASOXFAN
09-14-2006, 06:28 PM
Scott Podsednik PK is pretty slow also.

Johnny Mostil
09-14-2006, 06:33 PM
I've heard Ernie Lombardi mentioned as the slowest ever (amazing he won a batting title), but he is before my time.

The slowest baseball player I've seen in almost 40 years of paying attention to baseball was Ed Herrmann.

Same here.

Are there any old-timers (or do I mean older-timers:redface: ?) here that can comment on Sherm Lollar?

slobes
09-14-2006, 06:44 PM

Otherwise, Benjie Molina is pretty damn slow. He made the out on the gravity-defying play by Tadahito back in April and was out by about 10 feet.

Iguchi could have fallen, gotten up, thrown around the horn, and still gotten him out at first. When watching replays of that, I couldn't believe how slow Molina got down the line.

drewcifer
09-14-2006, 06:48 PM
I heard it took Cecil Fielder over 2 hrs to watch
http://www.smallerclothes.com/60%20minutes%20small.jpg once... :?:

MarySwiss
09-14-2006, 07:04 PM
Same here.

Are there any old-timers (or do I mean older-timers:redface: ?) here that can comment on Sherm Lollar?

Sherm Lollar was pretty slow, but I think Herrmann was slower.

1951Campbell
09-14-2006, 07:05 PM

And buffet tables would lose.

1951Campbell
09-14-2006, 07:05 PM
PK. If there was a race between erosion, evolution and Paulie, Paulie would come in third.

MDF3530 wins the thread!

Chicken Dinner
09-14-2006, 07:46 PM
I saw Andy Petite try to get a triple this year and he looked as slow as PK. (by the way, HE GONE).

BigPapaPump
09-15-2006, 11:18 AM
I would have to go with Sean Casey, seeing as he's probably the only guy to get thrown at first by the left fielder.:tongue:

BlackAndWhite
09-15-2006, 11:27 AM
Some players run like they're carrying a grand piano on their back. Matt LeCroy runs like he's stopping to play one.

Railsplitter
09-15-2006, 11:39 AM

Supposedly the author of 9-3 put outs that didn't involve being caught off first on a fly out.

Paulwny
09-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Walt Dropo
Ted Kluszewski
B. Molina
Sherm Lollar
PK

Chez
09-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Benji Molina gets my vote. There have been times this season when the Sox have had the bases loaded with Thome, Konerko and AJ and I've thought to myself that this could be the slowest set of runners on base at one time ever! I can think of two occasions this season when Paulie has only advanced from second to third on a double.

TDog
09-15-2006, 12:46 PM
Benji Molina gets my vote. There have been times this season when the Sox have had the bases loaded with Thome, Konerko and AJ and I've thought to myself that this could be the slowest set of runners on base at one time ever! I can think of two occasions this season when Paulie has only advanced from second to third on a double.

When Michael Jordan was playing for the Sox against the Cubs in that exhibition they used to have, he was thrown out trying to score from second base on a double off the wall in Wrigley. There's more to baserunning than footspeed.

gbergman
09-15-2006, 01:55 PM
When Michael Jordan was playing for the Sox against the Cubs in that exhibition they used to have, he was thrown out trying to score from second base on a double off the wall in Wrigley. There's more to baserunning than footspeed.

Wow, Jordan must of fell or something because it isn't that hard to score from second. He might of held at second thinking it would be caught.

FielderJones
09-15-2006, 01:59 PM
Sherm Lollar was pretty slow, but I think Herrmann was slower.

I think Ed Herrmann may have been the slowest player in Sox history, if not MLB history.

4 triples, 6 stolen bases in 2749 career at-bats. Linky (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/Pherre102.htm).

soxinem1
09-15-2006, 02:02 PM
My slowest guys I remember seeing:

AJ, Paulie, Thome, Rusty Staub, Benji Molina, Mike Scoscia, John Jaha, Jody Davis.

I'm sure I can think of more, but these dudes definitely have/had bags of cement on their shoulders.

davenicholson
09-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Same here.

Are there any old-timers (or do I mean older-timers:redface: ?) here that can comment on Sherm Lollar?Nope, but I do remember The Smokehouse!

http://www.grandstandsports.com/images/4768.jpg

soxfan13
09-15-2006, 02:20 PM
Frank Thomas doesnt exactly strike fear into opponents on the base paths!!

DaleJRFan
09-15-2006, 02:53 PM
Nope, but I do remember The Smokehouse!

http://www.grandstandsports.com/images/4768.jpg

Hey, those are Ross Gload's pants!!! :D:

Oblong
09-15-2006, 03:05 PM
I would have to go with Sean Casey, seeing as he's probably the only guy to get thrown at first by the left fielder.:tongue:

agreed.

He hits a grounder to deep short and still gets thrown out 4 or 5 steps. He's a big guy but not chunky. He runs like he has rocks in his shoes.

Nellie_Fox
09-15-2006, 03:24 PM
Nope, but I do remember The Smokehouse!

http://www.grandstandsports.com/images/4768.jpgNow that was a real baseball bat. The handle is as thick as a man's wrist. That bad boy wouldn't go shattering into a hundred pieces.

0o0o0
09-15-2006, 04:17 PM
Wow, Jordan must of fell or something because it isn't that hard to score from second. He might of held at second thinking it would be caught.

:iguchi:

"Maybe he just stopped running halfway between third and home."

MDF3530
09-15-2006, 04:48 PM
MDF3530 wins the thread!Thank you :moonwalk: !

MDF3530
09-15-2006, 04:50 PM
Frank Thomas doesnt exactly strike fear into opponents on the base paths!!Frank is like a truck-it takes him a while to get going, but when he does, get outta his way.

SOXfnNlansing
09-15-2006, 05:53 PM
:cubune PK. If there was a race between erosion, evolution and Paulie, Paulie would come in third.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-15-2006, 06:18 PM
I think Ed Herrmann may have been the slowest player in Sox history, if not MLB history.

4 triples, 6 stolen bases in 2749 career at-bats. Linky (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/Pherre102.htm).

Ernie Lombardi - 5855 AB, 8 SB, 27 3B (with 7 coming in his final decade). He also had 1 1/2 time the HR rate (190 vs. 80 for Herrmann).

It would have been a race for the ages. :D:

Dick Allen
09-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Just go down the list of White Sox catchers:

Sherm Lollar
Smokey Burgess
John Romano
Ed Herrmann

Also, an old Tiger, Gates Brown

WSox597
09-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Smokey Burgess was the slowest I've seen. He made Konerko look like Carl Lewis.

Jjav829
09-16-2006, 04:22 PM
Sports Illustrated does a player's poll for each issue. They pick some topic and poll usually around 450 players. About a month or so back the topic was the slowest and fastest players in baseball. Bengie Molina won the slowest player poll by a wide margin. Konerko was 2nd.

I believe Pods finished 9th in the fastest player voting.

Edit: I found the poll online. Here it is. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/players/08/08/poll.0808/index.html)

No surprise, Crawford was voted the fastest player.

DumpJerry
09-16-2006, 04:28 PM
B. Molina is pretty darn slow. However, whenever I go to Alaska, I see glaciers receding faster than our Paulie.

I was thinking Dusty Baker. Ever see how long he keeps his pitchers in the game when they should have been removed? I guess we're talking about running speed and thinking/decisionmaking speed.

Frater Perdurabo
09-16-2006, 05:44 PM
I believe it was Daver who quoted someone else when he wrote:

"In a race between Paulie and a pregnant woman, Paulie would finish third."

soxinem1
09-17-2006, 09:51 PM
Just go down the list of White Sox catchers:

Sherm Lollar
Smokey Burgess
John Romano
Ed Herrmann

Also, an old Tiger, Gates Brown

Ah, speaking of White Sox catchers, how about Marc Hill and Mike LaValliere?

S-L-O-W....

Bucky F. Dent
09-17-2006, 09:57 PM
The slowest I've ever seen was Greg Luzinski.

The guy bounced singles off the center field wall at Commiskey.

davenicholson
09-22-2006, 09:48 AM
Now that was a real baseball bat. The handle is as thick as a man's wrist. That bad boy wouldn't go shattering into a hundred pieces.
You sure got that right! For some reason, the image of Smoky swinging 3 or 4 of those things on the on-deck circle (before the time of weighted bats or even weighted "doughnuts") is burned into my brain. I remember, as a scrawny 10 year-old, trying to emulate him, on-deck during a little league game. My coach told me to "Put those bats down before you hurt yourself".:redface:

esbrechtel
09-24-2006, 09:29 PM
Sports Illustrated does a player's poll for each issue. They pick some topic and poll usually around 450 players. About a month or so back the topic was the slowest and fastest players in baseball. Bengie Molina won the slowest player poll by a wide margin. Konerko was 2nd.

I believe Pods finished 9th in the fastest player voting.

Edit: I found the poll online. Here it is. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/players/08/08/poll.0808/index.html)

No surprise, Crawford was voted the fastest player.

you beat me to it....i was about to mention that

TornLabrum
09-24-2006, 11:24 PM
I believe it was Daver who quoted someone else when he wrote:

"In a race between Paulie and a pregnant woman, Paulie would finish third."

Ozzie used that line about Ventura a decade ago at SoxFest.

SOXandILLINI
09-25-2006, 08:17 AM
anyone who thinks that molina is much slower than paulie, needs to wake up. he probably is a hair slower, but at least he's a catcher and has that built in excuse. the 2 slowest players i have witnessed in a sox uniform were the aforementioned paulie, and ed hermann.