PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 9-15

Lip Man 1
09-14-2006, 12:23 PM
September 15, 1940 - Ted Lyons day is held at Comiskey Park. The ‘Baylor Bearcat’ won 260 games with the club and was elected to the Hall Of Fame in 1955. His number #16 would be retired in 1987.

September 15, 1990 - Owner Jerry Reinsdorf fires G.M. Larry Himes citing "personality differences." Himes drafted and signed Sox future stars like Frank Thomas, Jack McDowell, Robin Ventura and Alex Fernandez. During the press conference announcing the hiring of Ron Schueler as new G.M., Reinsdorf issues his famous "point A to point B to point C" comment.

September 15, 1996 - Frank Thomas slugs his 215th home run in a Sox uniform breaking Carlton Fisk’s team record. Thomas homers three times at Fenway Park off the Red Sox Tim Wakefield yet the Sox lose the game 9 - 8.

Lip

champagne030
09-14-2006, 12:32 PM
September 15, 1940 - Ted Lyons day is held at Comiskey Park. The ‘Baylor Bearcat’ won 260 games with the club and was elected to the Hall Of Fame in 1955. His number #16 would be retired in 1987.

September 15, 1990 - Owner Jerry Reinsdorf fires G.M. Larry Himes citing "personality differences." Himes drafted and signed Sox future stars like Frank Thomas, Jack McDowell, Robin Ventura and Alex Fernandez. During the press conference announcing the hiring of Ron Schueler as new G.M., Reinsdorf issues his famous "point A to point B to point C" comment.

September 15, 1996 - Frank Thomas slugs his 215th home run in a Sox uniform breaking Carlton Fisk’s team record. Thomas homers three times at Fenway Park off the Red Sox Tim Wakefield yet the Sox lose the game 9 - 8.

Lip

I think you skipped a day.

stl_sox_fan
09-14-2006, 12:50 PM
I think you skipped a day.

Another quarter in the jar.... :D:

Britt Burns
09-14-2006, 12:55 PM
Lip, once again you prove me wrong about there being few important September dates in Sox history. Thanks for another great post.

I remember that Boston game...Frank was awesome that day. He would have hit 10 off Wakefield the way he was swinging.

Scottzilla
09-14-2006, 01:25 PM
what was the a to b to c comment? ive heard it mentioned before but not actually heard what was said.

jdm2662
09-14-2006, 01:46 PM
If I remember from previous threads, Himes was good at judging talent, but he wasn't a likeable guy. I'm going to guess many people in the front office, including the chairman himself, didn't care for him personally.

Flight #24
09-14-2006, 02:09 PM

Are you sure about that? I always though the origin of the "Point A to Point B to Point C was from the transition from Doug Collins to Phil Jackson as Bulls coach. As is Collins was good to get a team to Point B, but not to a title whereas Jackson was good to go from B to C (but possibly not A to B, something that's still kind of being proven).

It's possible that it was ressurrected for the Sox at this point, but I'm pretty sure that pre-1990 it was used in the Bulls context. Anyone able to confirm/deny that? Anyone? Bueller?

Lip Man 1
09-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Here's the info that I have:

"The fact is, Larry Himes cannot get along with anybody. You can hardly find anybody in the Sox organization that wasn’t happy when Larry Himes left." – Jerry Reinsdorf to radio talk show host Chet Coppock. September 1990.

"The past is gone. The fact we did reach Point C this year doesn’t mean Larry (Himes) wouldn’t have reached it. It does mean we guessed right with Ron (Schueler). I just felt at the time a change was necessary, so let’s not think about anything but the future. We all have a good relationship now." – Jerry Reinsdorf to the Chicago Sun - Times’ Joe Goddard and Tony Ginnetti. September 28, 1993. Pg. 92.

I also have the video from 'Baseball Tonight' announcing the move and quoting Reinsdorf as saying 'point A to point B to point C.'

From what I understand the relationship began to sour in 1990 when Himes refused to trade some of the Sox young talent for established pitching help to try to catch the A's. Surprisingly it was Reinsdorf pushing to acquire players like Mike Scott for the stretch drive.

What's ironic about all this is that Reinsdorf then hired Ron Schueler who refused to trade young talent when the Sox were blowing the wild card lead in 1996, who engineered the 'White Flag Trade' in 1997 for young talent and then in 2000 when the Sox pitching staff was falling apart with injuries refused again to deal young talent for veteran help.

Doesn't seem to make sense did it?

Lip

Hitmen77
09-14-2006, 03:08 PM
Didn't Himes then get hired by the Cubs as their GM? I think Cub fans were expecting him to bring them their version of Thomas, Ventura, and McDowell.

jdm2662
09-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Didn't Himes then get hired by the Cubs as their GM? I think Cub fans were expecting him to bring them their version of Thomas, Ventura, and McDowell.

Yes, he was the one that made the Bell/Sosa trade...

Zisk77
09-14-2006, 03:51 PM
You sure about that 3 hr game in a loss to wakefield? I seem to remember Frank hitting 3 hr, the last day before the allstar break, off of wakefield in Fenway. This right after he heard he was snubbed and I thought we won big. Am I remembering another 3 hr. game or is all the beer I drank in college finally catching up to me? And will you please tell all the voices in my head to stop screaming!:o:

Lip Man 1
09-14-2006, 04:03 PM
From Retrosheet...September 15, 1996:

HR: F. Thomas 3 (35,1st inning off Wakefield 0 on 2 out,3rd inning off Wakefield 0 on 1 out,5th inning off Wakefield 0 on 2 out);

Lip