PDA

View Full Version : If you are Gardenhire...

Vance Law's Dog
09-14-2006, 01:04 AM
Do you:

1. Keep your rotation as-is, with the usual suspects Guerrier/Baker/Garza continuing to fill in for Liriano and Radke when their turns come up. This sets up final series matchups of: Buehrle vs. ??? (perhaps Radke if he's continues to get healthy and resumes his role) on Friday, Garcia vs. Bonser on Saturday morning and Garland vs. Santana on Sunday.

2. Skip a rotation slot with the off-day next Monday, changing their final three pitchers to: Bonser/Santana/Silva. Probably not -- Silva would blow up if it comes down to a final game.

3. Move Santana up to three days rest immediately for the rest of the season to get an extra start out of him if needed on the final Sunday, and reshuffle to create the best matchups for the Friday and Saturday games (probably Bonser, then Radke if healthy, Garza or Silva). Limit Santana's pitch count in the starts leading up to the final weekend to keep him fresh, particularly in the matchup against KC earlier in the week.

I think they gotta go #3. This is likely going to come down to one game either way so an extra start by Santana would be crucial, and going into the final weekend, the Sox and Twins *should* be within three games of each other. The only way someone besides Santana gets the ball on that final Sunday is A) Minnesota has already clinched and he's resting for the playoff opener; or B) Radke has already made at least one effective start and proven he can take the ball that day (won't be determined before they'd have begun accelerating Santana's starts, anyway -- and they've already lost the wishful thinking game with Liriano once).

TheOldRoman
09-14-2006, 01:57 AM
There is no way they would go with Santana on three days rest at this point, let alone for more than one start. They are going to have to play with the hand they were dealt.

BTW, Gardenhire and the rest of those whiney bitches have a really bad inferiority complex about the White Sox, and they will do anything they can to keep us out of the playoffs. Say, for instance, the Twins clinch the division before the last series, and we are fighting Detriot for the Wild Card. The Twins would throw Santana in that series, taking him out until ALSD game 3, and hurting their own chances, just to kill off the Sox.

SoxSpeed22
09-14-2006, 02:01 AM
If they could pitch Santana every day against us, they would.

Myrtle72
09-14-2006, 03:38 AM
BTW, Gardenhire and the rest of those whiney bitches have a really bad inferiority complex about the White Sox, and they will do anything they can to keep us out of the playoffs. Say, for instance, the Twins clinch the division before the last series, and we are fighting Detriot for the Wild Card. The Twins would throw Santana in that series, taking him out until ALSD game 3, and hurting their own chances, just to kill off the Sox.

Thats why the Twins may get INTO the playoffs, but there is no way in hell that they're going to win the World Series. They really freggin' irritate me.

soxinem1
09-14-2006, 07:13 AM
They already tried rushing one pitcher back, now he is not doing anything until ST 2007.

As much as I detest these guys, Gardenhire has manueuvered that staff like a genious. At least we have had healthy arms in the rotation, these guys are being held together with bandaids and are still keeping them in games.

When I watched Liriano come up lame again yesterday and Garza come in, it felt like the day before when they pulled Guerrier after four and came back. Garza pitched very well, but Haren was dealing.

That game notwithstanding, it seems these annoying Minnesquitoes get a boost of energy everytime something negative happens. Time to break out the Raid!

So if I'm Gardenhire, I go with Johan, Garza, Viola, Blyleven, and Kaat. I mean, Silva, Johan, Garza, Boofer, and Radke.

Tragg
09-14-2006, 07:47 AM
Thats why the Twins may get INTO the playoffs, but there is no way in hell that they're going to win the World Series. They really freggin' irritate me.
They really are getting annoying.
We're just going to have to do to them, what we did to Cleveland last year...sweep them out of the playoffs.

PorkChopExpress
09-14-2006, 07:55 AM
They really are getting annoying.
We're just going to have to do to them, what we did to Cleveland last year...sweep them out of the playoffs.

Beating them and especially Santana to get into the playoffs and keep them out would be 10x sweeter than sweeping Cleveland last year.

NoNeckEra
09-14-2006, 08:43 AM
You ARE a bitter person, aren't you? I'm glad you know Gardi so well. Why don't you share your secrets with Ozzie.

Further, I thought you had already written off the "gutless" White Sox. Funny how a little solid starting pitching can make you forget about a poor offensive performance(except for Freddy's game). The Sox scored in exactly two different innings over the first 20 innings of the series.

jenn2080
09-14-2006, 09:01 AM
Talking Baseball?!?!

miker
09-14-2006, 09:31 AM
Talking Baseball?!?!
Respectfully disagree. At this point of the race, what our opponent is doing is VERY important to us.

spiffie
09-14-2006, 09:41 AM
There is no way they would go with Santana on three days rest at this point, let alone for more than one start. They are going to have to play with the hand they were dealt.

I would bet pretty much anything up to and including a limb that unless there are home field ramifications involved you would not see Santana in that series. Yeah, the Twins hate us, but the Twins fanbase would slaughter Gardenhire in cold blood if he did something that led to Boof Bonser or Matt Guerrrrrrrieeeerrrrrr starting game 1 of the ALDS just to fulfill a vendetta. They won't rest the starters like Ozzie did in the last Cleveland series, but they wouldn't pitch Santana unless they have to for the playoff spot and maybe if it could get them home-field in the ALDS.

MadetoOrta
09-14-2006, 09:47 AM
I would bet pretty much anything up to and including a limb that unless there are home field ramifications involved you would not see Santana in that series. Yeah, the Twins hate us, but the Twins fanbase would slaughter Gardenhire in cold blood if he did something that led to Boof Bonser or Matt Guerrrrrrrieeeerrrrrr starting game 1 of the ALDS just to fulfill a vendetta. They won't rest the starters like Ozzie did in the last Cleveland series, but they wouldn't pitch Santana unless they have to for the playoff spot and maybe if it could get them home-field in the ALDS.

Completely agree. Gardenhire may - like the rest of the Twinkies - really dislike the Sox but if there's nothing at stake, Johan's resting. I also think Gardenhire would take his chances with Johan pitching Game 1 in Oakland rather than have home field advantage.

TheOldRoman
09-14-2006, 10:51 AM
You ARE a bitter person, aren't you? I'm glad you know Gardi so well. Why don't you share your secrets with Ozzie.

Further, I thought you had already written off the "gutless" White Sox. Funny how a little solid starting pitching can make you forget about a poor offensive performance(except for Freddy's game). The Sox scored in exactly two different innings over the first 20 innings of the series.
:rolleyes:
How have they played lately? I never said the season was over, I just said we would probably see the same inconsistant crap the rest of the year. We won 9-0 yesterday? Great. I hope we do it again today, but I have seen this team enough to know that every time they take one step forward they take one step back. They have had great games many times recently, but they follow it up with a 2 run effort against horrible pitching. If they are "coming out of it", they haven't done it yet. I will believe it when I see it.