PDA

View Full Version : alomar over pierzynski

emalit1
09-13-2006, 11:59 PM
Does anyone think it would be wise to use alomar over pierzynski from this point on whenever garcia is out there? Garcia stated that he was on the same page with alomar all day. They also have been using alomar with buehrle, minus last game, with mixed results though.

Boondock Saint
09-14-2006, 12:03 AM
If Sandy can pull something even remotely close to yesterday's game out of Freddy on a regular basis (that is if it truly is Sandy that's the catalyst), it's not even a question. Either way, there's no reason to not try it again.

WhiteSox1983
09-14-2006, 12:06 AM
No, i dont think it has anything to do with Alomar. I was at the game, and I looked after every pitch, none of them hit 90. And they were all sliders or splitters. It was different, because i always thought of freddy as a power pitcher, his stuff was nasty today.

To sum it up.... its his new style of pitching. He finally learned that you dont have to overpower batters to beat them.

Martinigirl
09-14-2006, 12:14 AM
This seems like such a back handed slam of AJ, as if he is unable to call a good game for Freddy, which is not the case. AJ caught a one hitter from Freddy last year.

It was like the whole thing where Sandy was going to be Buerhle's personal catcher, because MB's problems were somehow tied to AJ. Mark's issues were Mark's, not AJ's.

But I suppose if this gets stuck in Freddy's head, and he decides he 'needs' Sandy, then whatever makes him happy. I just hate the implication that AJ is somehow doing something wrong.

southwstchi4life
09-14-2006, 12:27 AM
No, i dont think it has anything to do with Alomar. I was at the game, and I looked after every pitch, none of them hit 90. And they were all sliders or splitters. It was different, because i always thought of freddy as a power pitcher, his stuff was nasty today.

To sum it up.... its his new style of pitching. He finally learned that you dont have to overpower batters to beat them.

Agree

Sox-o-matic
09-14-2006, 12:31 AM
Apparently Sandy told someone from Baseball Tonight that he just heard about Freddy's splitter from AJ before today's game. Whoever it was on Baseball Tonight also said that Freddy admitted to Alomar calling everything he wanted to throw, so maybe keep it up.

Besides, maybe Sandy's presence behind the plate will give Freddy less of a reason to pay attention to a runner on first and instead focus on the hitter. If someone wants to steal on Freddy and gets even a halfway decent jump, there's nothing anyone on the Sox can do about it anyway.

Nellie_Fox
09-14-2006, 12:54 AM
I looked after every pitch, none of them hit 90. I saw 92 at least once on the WGN gun.

Sox-o-matic
09-14-2006, 02:17 AM
Here are some FACTS about Alomar vs. AJ behind the plate since 7/25 when Sandy made his first start of the year for the Sox:

When Sandy has caught the following pitchers, these were the results:
Contreras: 0-1, 8.38 ERA
Buehrle: 2-3, 5.40 ERA
Garcia: 1.0, 0.00 ERA
Sandy hasn't caught Garland so far
Vazquez: 0-1, 5.14 ERA

In total, Sox starters are 3-5 with an ERA of 5.15 with Alomar behind the plate.

When AJ catches (and again to be fair this is since Sandy joined the team), these have been the results for the following pitchers:
Contreras: 4-4, 5.01 ERA
Buehrle: 1-1, 5.03 ERA
Garcia: 3-3, 5.56 ERA
Garland: 7-1, 3.30 ERA
Vazquez: 2-2, 2.53 ERA

In total, Sox starters are 17-11 with a 4.16 ERA with AJ behind the plate.

To be fair though, Sandy has only started 11 games behind the plate and 7 of those were Mark's, who has been struggling. AJ OTOH has started 37 games. Also, Sandy hasn't caught Garland so far and only has caught Javy once, and these two have been our best pitchers so far. When you take Garland and Javy's starts out from each side, the Sox are 3-4, 5.15 with Sandy and 8-8, 5.26 with AJ catching.

Basically, the numbers say it doesn't make any difference who is behind the plate. It just depends on who the pitchers are most comfortable with and also if Ozzie needs AJ's bat in the lineup on a given day.

Here are a couple other intersting stats I found:
Anderson is hitting .214/.241/.286 in September after putting up a line of .296/.367/.437 in August. That kind of surprised me as I didn't realize he was doing that bad.

Also, in Javy's last 8 starts he is 2-3 with a 2.29 ERA.

In Jose's last three starts he is 2-1 with a 2.00 ERA.

In Garland's last six starts he is 5-0 with a 1.44 ERA.

And even though Mark hasn't been terrific of late, he hasn't given up 5 ER's in a game since 8/7, which has been more than a month now.

Myrtle72
09-14-2006, 03:34 AM
It seemed like they clicked today, definately. And even though I love AJ - perhaps Alomar IS helping Freddy.

Or perhaps it was all Freddy and Alomar had nothing to do with it. I guess the only real way to find out would be to have Alomar catch Freddy a few more times and see how it goes. I certainly don't mind Ozzie testing it out, but I don't like it when he "assigns" Alomar to a certain pitcher (Buehrle) and then doesn't budge from his matches (even though he can switch the lineup around everyday...).

Anyway, I guess we'll see. If it brings more games like this, I'm all for it!

jenn2080
09-14-2006, 07:20 AM
Or perhaps Freddy got his head out of his ass! That is what I think.

eriqjaffe
09-14-2006, 08:46 AM
I didn't see the game, but I was listening - I remember Farmio & Singleton commenting on how Garcia was working at a brisker pace than usual, which I bet was helping tremendously. Get a good rhythm going, like Buehrle does when he's on his game.

skottyj242
09-14-2006, 08:48 AM
Does anyone think it would be wise to use alomar over pierzynski from this point on whenever garcia is out there? Garcia stated that he was on the same page with alomar all day. They also have been using alomar with buehrle, minus last game, with mixed results though.

Welcome to our humble message board Sandy.

SoxFan78
09-14-2006, 09:36 AM
Hey, if Freddy can keep throwing semi perfect games with Sandy behind the bench, why mess with it??

BNLSox
09-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Welcome to our humble message board Sandy.

It took me a minute . . . Very clever!:cool:

daveeym
09-14-2006, 09:54 AM
I didn't see the game, but I was listening - I remember Farmio & Singleton commenting on how Garcia was working at a brisker pace than usual, which I bet was helping tremendously. Get a good rhythm going, like Buehrle does when he's on his game. You could notice that just over gameday. Every half inning was 2 outs into it before game day could update.

Or perhaps Freddy got his head out of his ass! That is what I think.
Exactly. He nearly threw a perfect game because his stuff was on. What's he going to say? "Sandy and I were battling each other all game, his pitch calling sucked." I also think this thread sucks.

infohawk
09-14-2006, 10:41 AM
This seems like such a back handed slam of AJ, as if he is unable to call a good game for Freddy, which is not the case. AJ caught a one hitter from Freddy last year.
Not to mention that A.J. caught the entire staff of a World Series Champion and was the starting catcher on two Twins teams that won the Central. He's also a two-time All-Star.

I don't think Freddy's performance was related to Sandy being behind the plate.

Nellie_Fox
09-14-2006, 10:44 AM
I didn't see the game, but I was listening - I remember Farmio & Singleton commenting on how Garcia was working at a brisker pace than usual, which I bet was helping tremendously. Get a good rhythm going, like Buehrle does when he's on his game.Freddy looked like he was moving at his usual glacial pace to me.

infohawk
09-14-2006, 10:49 AM
They mentioned on Comcast last night that Freddy developed a splitter a few starts ago and has been using it more and more. I have to wonder if he is showing signs of making a successful transition from a power pitcher to a control pitcher who relies heavily on offspeed stuff. He really seemed to struggle with his new offspeed approach for much of the season. Maybe the splitter is the pitch he needs to get over the top. He would get in trouble by throwing to many curves because he would eventually hang one or two and get smoked. Mixing in a splitter gives hitters something else to think about and keeps them off of his curveball a bit.

I'm a little torn right now. If, in his remaining starts Freddy looks like he has really figured this new style out, he could become a dominating pitcher with a different style. I've been admittedly looking forward to the Sox trading him in the offseason because I view him as possibly the weakest link considering he doesn't run that fastball up there in the mid-90s anymore. If he looks like he could be on to something, I'm hesitant to give him up. The question is, is he on to something or has he just had a few good starts?

tacosalbarojas
09-14-2006, 12:25 PM
They mentioned on Comcast last night that Freddy developed a splitter a few starts ago and has been using it more and more. I have to wonder if he is showing signs of making a successful transition from a power pitcher to a control pitcher who relies heavily on offspeed stuff. He really seemed to struggle with his new offspeed approach for much of the season. Maybe the splitter is the pitch he needs to get over the top. He would get in trouble by throwing to many curves because he would eventually hang one or two and get smoked. Mixing in a splitter gives hitters something else to think about and keeps them off of his curveball a bit.

Splitty learned from Titan? That's what someone was theorizing on BBTN. Anyway I loved the Alomar quote..."we had no plan". So there you go...go out there without a plan...sorry Hawk, sometimes no plan is better than a bad one.

southside rocks
09-14-2006, 04:24 PM
Freddy looked like he was moving at his usual glacial pace to me.

I thought so too.

The big difference was that there were no baserunners; Freddy REALLY slows it down when he gets men on base, and this is the first time this year we've seen him not allow baserunners. IMO that's what made Freddy seem "faster" yesterday.

As for the Alomar thing, I didn't at all read it as a slam at AJ that Freddy said he and Sandy were on the same page. After throwing such a great game, the pitcher darn well should give some props to his catcher, and Freddy did.

vegyrex
09-14-2006, 04:27 PM
Not to mention that A.J. caught the entire staff of a World Series Champion and was the starting catcher on two Twins teams that won the Central. He's also a two-time All-Star.

Looks like AJ and our pitchers have done some terrific things together.

AJ hasn't been the problem.

Myrtle72
09-14-2006, 04:29 PM
As for the Alomar thing, I didn't at all read it as a slam at AJ that Freddy said he and Sandy were on the same page. After throwing such a great game, the pitcher darn well should give some props to his catcher, and Freddy did.

I definitely agree with that. Everyone is bound to have a particularly good day (or a bad day) and it doesn't really have anything to do with AJ. It certainly doesn't mean he plays worse when AJ catches him.

slobes
09-14-2006, 04:52 PM
I don't think Sandy had much to do with it. His stuff was unhittable. His slider was the best I've ever seen it.

Domeshot17
09-14-2006, 04:57 PM
the main difference was Freddy. Freddy finally said to himself "ok i dont throw hard anymore, I got lazy and lost my arm in the offseason" and made an adjustment. Instead of tryin to fire that 86 mph fastball by someone, he changed it up, and threw a 2 seem splitter alot more. Thats where the extra dive on his pitches was coming from. that splitter at 83 mph made the 87-88 mph fastball look like 92-93 because of the movement. That set up the curve and slider which were both in the high 70s, but everything you saw low 80s that dropped off the table was his found split finger, which ironically is the pitch he hung on 3-2 to kennedy to lose the perfecto.