PDA

View Full Version : Gary Matthews, Jr.

INSox56
09-13-2006, 09:17 PM
He's absolutely amazing offensively and defensively. We all know he's a FA end of the season. Texas, I would assume, is going to heavily pursue CLee, who's going to command a lot of money. Given that inflexibility in payroll, what do you think of our possibilities of picking him up?

Placing him in center would take care of the outfield with Pods gone, we could play Sweeney or Anderson in left; having an OF of those two, Matthews, Dye would be absolutely insane with ground cover and arm strength. He could also hit leadoff, saving us from looking for a leadoff hitter in the SS position. Since we are saving money on trading one of the SPs and Hermanson, we could put that money towards signing him. Thoughts?

JUribe1989
09-13-2006, 09:19 PM
I believe Texas has a lot of money to throw around, and I am thinking they will be able to re-sign El Caballo and Matthews. Just a hunch though.

IlliniSox4Life
09-13-2006, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't mind Gary Matthews Jr. I think though, that he will command a price higher than you think and much more than he's worth. He's a good player, but he's 32 and this is his first season hitting above .275, and only 2 years has he had over 350 at bats. Also, I think that BA is a better CF. If Gmj were to be on this team, I'd put him in left.

Edit:
upon comparing Pods and GMJ, I'd rather just keep Pods:

Pods is 30, GMJ is 32. Pods has a career avg of .275, GMJ .260. Pods has never stolen less than 39 bases a year (this year), GMJ has never stolen more than 15. Over their careers, Pods strikes out roughly once in just over every 6 at bats, GMJ once in just under every 5 at bats.

GMJ is having a great year, and Pods not so much, but there is nothing in his career stats that suggest he will repeat this year, and Pods' career suggests he will probably be a bit better than he was this year next year. GMJ is already making about $200,000 more than Pods. With his play this year I would expect him to command even more than that.

palehozenychicty
09-13-2006, 09:41 PM
I wouldn't mind Gary Matthews Jr. I think though, that he will command a price higher than you think and much more than he's worth. He's a good player, but he's 32 and this is his first season hitting above .275, and only 2 years has he had over 350 at bats. Also, I think that BA is a better CF. If Gmj were to be on this team, I'd put him in left.

I was going to say something similar, that he IS 32 and has been a scrub player most of his career. You are better off, in my mind, developing sweeney and owens to play the outfield. Or pick up Ryan Freel.

A. Cavatica
09-13-2006, 10:10 PM
having an OF of those two, Matthews, Dye would be absolutely insane with ground cover and arm strength

I agree, but pretty much any four-man outfield would cover a lot of ground.

INSox56
09-13-2006, 10:34 PM
I agree, but pretty much any four-man outfield would cover a lot of ground.

HARRRRR HARRRRRRR HARRRRRRRRRR :o:

I was going to say something similar, that he IS 32 and has been a scrub player most of his career. You are better off, in my mind, developing sweeney and owens to play the outfield. Or pick up Ryan Freel.

I agree about Freel...their manager over there really seems to not like him, he's not playing him much at all, though he's their best option over...god knows who they're playing over him. I wouldn't mind that at all.

cbrownson13
09-13-2006, 11:38 PM
32 and a career year? Stay far away.

chaerulez
09-13-2006, 11:49 PM
Why do we need OF help? The OF is a crowded picture next season. Dye, Sweeney, Fields, Owens, and Anderson are going to compete for the spots, unless KW does something. Maybe signing Matthews makes sense for the Cubs as they have a mess in their OF situation, but not for the Sox.

soxfan13
09-14-2006, 10:01 AM
32 and a career year? Stay far away.

Yes scrub player his whole career and then is putting up career numbers in a contract year. All signs that say STAY AWAY!!!!!!