PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame...

thomas35forever
09-13-2006, 02:54 PM
I don't really know where this belongs, so here goes:

When/If ESPN Classic talks about the Doug Eddings incident in the future, what will be the Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame Doug Eddings for the Angels losing the 2005 ALCS? Here's my list:

Best of the Rest:

Replays were inconclusive
Bartolo Colon's injury in Game 5 of the ALDS
Vladimir Guerrero was held to 1-for-20 in the series

5) Joey Cora - sent Aaron Rowand home in an attempt at an inside-the-park home run in Game 2.

4) Mike Scioscia - pinch-hit for Bengie Molina with backup catcher Jose Molina at DH, forcing him to use his third-string catcher in the 9th.

3) A.J. Pierzynski - ran to first base after realizing Paul failed to tag him. A similar incident had occurred to him a year earlier in which he was tagged out.

2) Josh Paul - failed to tag Pierzynski

1) Chicago White Sox - rotation dominated the Angels in each of the next 3 games to capture the AL pennant en route to a World Series victory. The team also caught a lot of breaks in the postseason, including getting away with catcher's inteference in Game 4 and Dye being ruled to have been hit by a pitch when the ball really touched the bat. Paul Konerko would capitalize on that with a grand slam on the next pitch. In the World Series, unlikely heros such as Scott Podsednik and Geoff Blum rose up.

eriqjaffe
09-13-2006, 02:59 PM
Kelvim Escobar for hanging an 0-2 slider to Joe Crede

...and Kelvim Escobar for his mis-tag in Game 5.

BiggestFan14
09-13-2006, 03:15 PM
My list:

5. Other Manager/Coaching/Player Mistakes - Aaron Rowand going home, putting Paul in, etc.

4. AJ was the one that ran, so blame him too.

3. The White Sox pretty much dominated the whole series.

2. The Angels - If they don't complain and dwell on mistakes, maybe they would have won a game or two to make it interesting. The White Sox took advantage of mistakes, the Angels let the mistakes beat them.

1. It was the eigth inning. We play nine in the major Angels, get over it.

Iwritecode
09-13-2006, 03:22 PM
1. The game was still tied and they only needed to get one more out to send it to extra innings.

2. They let Ozuna walk into second base with no throw.

3. Escobar hung an 0-2 pitch that Crede crushed to the left field wall.

4. Josh Paul never saw the umpire make an out signal. He never even turned around.

5. Josh Paul never heard the words "you're out". Eddings never said them.

SoxFan78
09-13-2006, 03:45 PM
My list:

It was actually the bottom of the ninth. Hence the big celebration at home plate after Crede hit the double to the wall scoring Ozuna

slobes
09-13-2006, 04:09 PM
The main reason is because even if he did blow that call, it didn't lead directly to a run. AJ had to run to first. Pablo had to steal 2nd. Crede had to get the 2 out hit. It wasn't as if the run was gift wrapped and placed in the hands of the Sox--they still had to execute.

BiggestFan14
09-13-2006, 04:28 PM
It was actually the bottom of the ninth. Hence the big celebration at home plate after Crede hit the double to the wall scoring Ozuna
Yeah I know, just a bad typo on my part. Sorry about that. Plus I meant it was still in the middle of the 9th and was still tied.

StatHead21
09-13-2006, 05:15 PM
1. You are taught as a catcher if theres a reasonable doubt, always tag the hitter.

Thats the only reason.

ws05champs
09-13-2006, 06:53 PM
1. You are taught as a catcher if theres a reasonable doubt, always tag the hitter.

Thats the only reason.

Absolutely correct. Doug Eddings had little to do with the play. It was all Josh Paul's fault. Plus Eddings really had nothing else controversial the rest of the series. The Sox beat the Angels with good baseball - pure and simple.

fquaye149
09-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Absolutely correct. Doug Eddings had little to do with the play. It was all Josh Paul's fault. Plus Eddings really had nothing else controversial the rest of the series. The Sox beat the Angels with good baseball - pure and simple.

awesome sig

ewokpelts
09-13-2006, 07:55 PM
5. Mark Buerhle pitching a complete game win.
4. Jon Garland pitching a complete game win.
3. Freddy Garcia pitching a complete game win
2. Jose Contreras pitching a complete game win.
1. A.J.

chisoxmike
09-13-2006, 08:08 PM
#1 (THE ONLY REASON) THE CHICAGO WHITE SOX WERE THE BETTER TEAM! The Angels still had 3 games to lose...AT HOME!!!!

chisoxmike
09-13-2006, 08:09 PM

Biggest Fan eh?:wink:

palehozenychicty
09-13-2006, 08:10 PM
What's unfortunate is that you still have idiots who believe that AJ should have went back to the dugout. He is always following the rules and offending people.

C-Dawg
09-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Vladimir Guerrero was held to 1-for-20 in the series

Yeah, didn't the Angels as a team bat something like .150 during that series? Maybe it wasn't even that high...

:o:

kevingrt
09-13-2006, 10:09 PM

I say we axe his "biggestfan" screenname. Any Biggest fan would know what happened. Sorry we are just railing on yyou rite now 14.

BiggestFan14
09-13-2006, 10:20 PM
I say we axe his "biggestfan" screenname. Any Biggest fan would know what happened. Sorry we are just railing on yyou rite now 14.

Biggest Fan eh?:wink:
I said it was a typo already. By the way I am the biggest fan, as much as everyone else here, and just watched game two again from my DVD last week, so it is still fresh in my mind. It was a great game, and led the Sox to the series victory. I blame the Sox, not Doug Eddings. :redface: