PDA

View Full Version : Liriano back and then hurt again

getonbckthr
09-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Just got pulled after hurting arm again.

Jaffar
09-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Unfortunately for him he was just taken out of the game in the 3rd. I'd say he's done for the season.

PorkChopExpress
09-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Liriano taken out in the third after only 28 pitches. Hate to see such a talent struggle with injuries, but at this point, I'll take any breaks.

knocko94
And....gets pulled in the third inning after re-injuring himself.

Darn.

Jaffar
Seconds behind you. Hopefully for Liriano's sake the Twins didn't make things worse by not putting him on the shelf this year.

gobears1987
09-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Seconds behind you. Hopefully for Liriano's sake the Twins didn't make things worse by not putting him on the shelf this year.
I hate to say it, but I think the Twins have just pulled a Dusty and killed a promising young pitcher.

Fungo
09-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Just about to post this. Tough break for the twins. Pulled in the 3rd with only 28 pitches. They are speculating more elbow problems. He knew it immediately after throwing his last pitch.

cleanwsox
09-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Hurts more than just their playoff race. It will be tough to beat the Yankees or A's with just Santana.

23Ventura
09-13-2006, 01:49 PM
Unfortunately for him...
Fortunately for the Sox though

Jaffar
09-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Fortunately for the Sox though

Yeah, I just don't wish injuries on anybody except for the likes of Bonds/Sosa

Baby Fisk
09-13-2006, 01:52 PM
The Twinks were "scraping by" just fine without him. The onus is still on the Sox to overtake them and Detroit.

White City
09-13-2006, 01:55 PM
Brutal. Bad for baseball, good for four other teams in the AL Central -- but a grim good that we should never wish for. I'm hoping this kid is OK, but that the injury pulls the rug out from under the Twins in the morale department, causing a horrific season-ending slide. I feel no moral ambiguity about that!

Jerko
09-13-2006, 01:56 PM
I guess that's why Guerrier started yesterday. Liriano goes down and they had Garza in tow for today. How do you take a chance with a talent like that though if you're the Twins??????

Jerko
09-13-2006, 01:56 PM
The Twinks were "scraping by" just fine without him. The onus is still on the Sox to overtake them and Detroit.

I agree.

kevingrt
09-13-2006, 01:59 PM
Anyone up for a chatroom on todays twinkies game?

ajismyhero
09-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Anyone up for a chatroom on todays twinkies game?

If you build it, he will come!

jdm2662
09-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Just heard the news. Eventhough I hate the Twins, a good younger pitcher like Liriano is good for baseball. Not sure what the Twins were thinking. They were doing fine without him.

samram
09-13-2006, 02:05 PM

Correct. The Twins gained, what, 6 games without him? The Sox will still be hard-pressed to catch either team.

Foulke You
Yeah, I just don't wish injuries on anybody except for the likes of Bonds/Sosa
I'd like to add Jason "Balco" Giambi to your injury wish list. :D:

Tough break for the Twins but truthfully, I predicted that he'd either be not as effective upon his return or that he'd get hurt right away. I didn't think it would be in the 3rd inning though. Here's hoping this hurts the Twins normally unflappable team morale.

southside rocks
Just got pulled after hurting arm again.

Honestly, it was difficult to imagine him returning and pitching well. I don't think his injury was trivial, and I think that bringing him back this year was a big mistake.

I loathe the Twins as an organization but I have enormous respect for Liriano, and I hope this hasn't messed up his future.

CLR01
09-13-2006, 02:06 PM
I guess that's why Guerrier started yesterday. Liriano goes down and they had Garza in tow for today. How do you take a chance with a talent like that though if you're the Twins??????

Because you are the Twins and you're focused on the now and ignoring the future.

I guess that easy to do though when you know he will be pitching for someone else in a few years anyway.

Hitmen77
09-13-2006, 02:14 PM

Yep. Sox still have to get their heads out of their collective behinds for this to impact anything.

I always hate to "celebrate" an injury. If it helps the Sox, I'll be happy as a Sox fan for our team to make the playoffs. But, I still feel bad for Liriano.

Flight #24
09-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Here's a radio-based recap of the injury from our friends at batgirl.com

Liriano threw a slider in the dirt, fell off the mound, and let his arm go limp. He tried not to show that his arm hurt, but that's what the replay showed. At least, that's the description I get from listening to the radio.

No soundy goody.

Jjav829
09-13-2006, 02:22 PM

I think they are thinking what everyone else is thinking: "If we can just get Liriano back and get into the playoffs, with Johan and Liriano pitching 4 games in every series it will be over for everyone else."

Unfortunately for them, in the process of attempting to do that, they rushed Liriano back too soon.

A's have runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out for Scutaro.

Lip Man 1
09-13-2006, 02:33 PM
CLR:

With that new stadium coming they may change their approach having actualy money to work with. I know they tied up Santana long term. We'll see.

Lip

Fake Chet Lemon
09-13-2006, 02:45 PM
OK, quit being so PC. I have a special monitor. I can SEE YOU all doing cart-wheels and high-5'ing each other and screaming "YES!" at the top of your lungs.............I'm kind of ashamed of you all right now, if I might say.

:D:

Hitmen77
09-13-2006, 02:49 PM
Correct. The Twins gained, what, 6 games without him? The Sox will still be hard-pressed to catch either team.

More like 2 games. There records haven't been that different since early August. No matter, the Twins only need to lead the Sox by 1 game at the end of October 1. It'll still be an uphill climb for the Sox, who keep digging themselves into a bigger hole.

peelwonder
09-13-2006, 02:51 PM
All I can say is How ****ing Stupid is the Twins Management...

They should've just shut him down for the year....

CLR01
09-13-2006, 02:54 PM
CLR:

With that new stadium coming they may change their approach having actualy money to work with. I know they tied up Santana long term. We'll see.

Lip

Yes we will.

D. TODD
09-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Terrible situation for Liriano. He needs to be very careful with how the Twinks handle his arm from here on out. We will see if surgery is needed eventually. From the past few months a trip under the knife, which could possibly cost him tens of millions, looks eminent.

CaptainBallz
09-13-2006, 03:12 PM
OK, quit being so PC. I have a special monitor. I can SEE YOU all doing cart-wheels and high-5'ing each other and screaming "YES!" at the top of your lungs.............I'm kind of ashamed of you all right now, if I might say.

:D:

*takes off clown wig and puts pants back on*

TDog
09-13-2006, 03:27 PM
Brutal. Bad for baseball, good for four other teams in the AL Central -- but a grim good that we should never wish for. I'm hoping this kid is OK, but that the injury pulls the rug out from under the Twins in the morale department, causing a horrific season-ending slide. I feel no moral ambiguity about that!

There is a column in a New York paper today about the Yankees wanting the Twins to win the division so they can face an easier team -- either the Sox or Tigers -- in the ALDS. The feeling is, Santana and Liriano are too much to overcome in a short series.

I'm not surprised that Liriano is down. I'm surprised he came back. The move reflects a desperation by the team. You have to wonder if the Twins have enough healthy pitching at this point.

A. Cavatica
09-13-2006, 03:30 PM
I certainly hate to see a rising star like Liriano hurt. I am, however, not crying about Radke, and if Santana came down with a toothache that kept him from pitching for three weeks I'd be thrilled. :D:

Flight #24
09-13-2006, 03:31 PM
The description of how he went down, combined with the fact that it was supposedly a slider and his prior issues make it seem likely that this is a blowout/surgery situation, which would be extremely unfortunate for the young man. But in terms of his earning power, he's a rookie. So he'll have plenty of time to rehab & recover before he hits anything close to FA status (or even arb status).

Also, you'd have to think that even if he's deemed OK by the medical staff that the Twins would shut him down for the year. If you dodge a bullet, do you put the gun right back up to your head?

Nellie_Fox
09-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Yep, sounds like Tommy John surgery is in his future, which would ground him for 18 months, IIRC.

For those who are blaming Twins management, they are acting on advice of the medical people, who cleared Liriano. I always love people who think they know what should be done, based on what they read in the paper and see on TV, better than those who have all of the available information, most of it unavailable to the public.

s.dedalus
09-13-2006, 04:19 PM
For those who are blaming Twins management, they are acting on advice of the medical people, who cleared Liriano. I always love people who think they know what should be done, based on what they read in the paper and see on TV, better than those who have all of the available information, most of it unavailable to the public.

I agree. They identified the injury when it happened and set a rehab course nearly a month ago that was pretty carefully incremental -- and always with the expliciti stipulation that if anything didn't go smoothly he'd be shut down. If pitching today was stupid, so was having him move from long-toss to throwing off the mound, etc. since it was all part of the same process.

thomas35forever
09-13-2006, 04:21 PM
They're not going to suffer without him and they've shown.

Too bad for the guy. Hope he recovers well. This could hurt the Twins in the postseason if they made it.

the gooch
09-13-2006, 04:22 PM
Much like the Bulls with Eddy Curry, he was cleared to play but the Bulls would have none of it without further tests. This, of course, done in the offseason and not in the middle of a championship run / pennant race.

I understand the Twins putting him back out there, and it backfired in a huge way. This is not his first time throwing a baseball since his injury, and had this setback happened during a rehab stint, rather than his first time up with the big club, it would look far less foolish in the eyes of outsiders.

SoxxoS
09-13-2006, 04:44 PM
Was it just me or was his motion really violent...

samram
09-13-2006, 04:50 PM
Was it just me or was his motion really violent...

Yeah, he is a max effort guy.

Anyway, I'm happy the Sox don't face Haren this weekend.

09-13-2006, 04:55 PM
Liriano was the most impressive young pitcher I think I've seen. How stupid can you be as an organization to take a chance at changing his career by rushing him back when he was not ready to be throwing those nasty breaking pitches.

That is sad news.

Well kind of :smile:

slavko
09-13-2006, 05:11 PM
I only looked at a piece of the first inning and Stoney said he'd have to take it easy on the slider because it's tough on the arm to throw. Stoney made a few points with me for that.

slobes
09-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Sucks to see a young phenom like this get hurt. Must be a huge morale killer to finally get him back only to see him on the DL again a couple of innings later. Still, helps our chances. That's all I care about.

russ99
09-13-2006, 05:32 PM
Liriano was the most impressive young pitcher I think I've seen. How stupid can you be as an organization to take a chance at changing his career by rushing him back when he was not ready to be throwing those nasty breaking pitches.

Well, I'm sure he threw a few of them (maybe not all out, though) in his 1-hit rehab start, so maybe it's more like he aggrivated it when going full-tilt for the big club.

StockdaleForVeep
09-13-2006, 05:46 PM
I find it humorous how he came back so quickly from a ligament strain, yet u look at rich harden, who hasnt pitched since before the break and before that with a lig strain and both teams have taken extra care with him. All i know is harden arguably cost me the wsi keeper 2 title

thomas35forever
09-13-2006, 06:21 PM
Just saw on ESPNEWS the official word: he's done for the year.

CLR01
09-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Yep, sounds like Tommy John surgery is in his future, which would ground him for 18 months, IIRC.

Isn't that the same medical staff and Twins management who insisted that his elbow was fine and that his forearm was the problem?

SoxSpeed22
09-13-2006, 06:30 PM
I only looked at a piece of the first inning and Stoney said he'd have to take it easy on the slider because it's tough on the arm to throw. Stoney made a few points with me for that.For real, sliders are probably the worst pitch you could throw on a bad elbow because of the necessary elbow rotation, and that was the pitch he hurt himself on.
With all that said...Come on skid!

hawkjt
09-13-2006, 07:40 PM
Brantley said that if it was partially torn , the ligament would have required surgery anyway so it was inevitable. He said 18 -24 months.

He would have only gone 3 mores starts anyway and would have been on a pitch count . It may have tapped out the twins bullpen , Garza pitched well in his stead today.

This is a blow to the twins morale, maybe , but more importantly they go on a 10 game road trip- where they do not play as well, so lets hope they flounder. 1.5 back is not insurmountable but I think the sox need to get the lead while the twins are still on the road and really put pressure on their young players. What a dogfight.

Lip Man 1
09-13-2006, 08:11 PM
I don't like the Twins but that's bad that a kid with that kind of talent may be out for awhile. That's a shame.

It does open the door (again) for the Sox. The question is will they finally decide to step through it.

Lip

A. Cavatica
09-13-2006, 08:56 PM
It does open the door (again) for the Sox. The question is will they finally decide to step through it.

Sox have won 4 of 6 since the AJ walkoff. What a pity the bullpen gave up the two losses, or we'd be saying the Sox had already stepped through it.

BA: The Hitman
09-13-2006, 09:01 PM
I never wanna see anyone get hurt, but this one doesn't exactly upset me. Twins fans should be livid with the organization for not shutting this guy down for the season when these problems first arose. A 22 year old with that type of talent and they messed it up big time. He said he heard a pop in his elbow and that can't be good. Looks like the geniuses with the twins finally messed something up.

Britt Burns
09-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Wow, hate to see this kind of talent ruined by injuries and an impatient ownership...Liriano is/was special, and hopefully he will be back at full strength next year. That being said...hmmm...doesn't exactly hurt the Sox.

palehozenychicty
09-13-2006, 09:56 PM
Sox have won 4 of 6 since the AJ walkoff. What a pity the bullpen gave up the two losses, or we'd be saying the Sox had already stepped through it.

Exactly. It'd be the winning streak that we were all looking for.

Brian26
09-13-2006, 10:34 PM
Jeff Brantley this evening was on with Carmen and Silvy. Take this for what it's worth, but he said the Twins probably knew it was a ligament tear back in early August when he went on the DL. At that point, they knew he would need surgery and would be out for 18 months (maybe 2 years worst case). He said it couldn't be aggravated any more...it was already torn, so they decided to give it a shot and bring him back for the stretch run.

beckett21
09-13-2006, 10:51 PM
Jeff Brantley this evening was on with Carmen and Silvy. Take this for what it's worth, but he said the Twins probably knew it was a ligament tear back in early August when he went on the DL. At that point, they knew he would need surgery and would be out for 18 months (maybe 2 years worst case). He said it couldn't be aggravated any more...it was already torn, so they decided to give it a shot and bring him back for the stretch run.

I didn't hear this, but reading this bothers me.

IMO it is very irresponsible of Brantley to go shooting his mouth off like this without any detailed medical information at his disposal. Maybe he knows more than he is telling, but I doubt it. If in fact this is true, it is very irresponsible by the Twins' management/medical staff. I call BS.

Jeff Brantley is not a doctor, and should stop acting like one. Just because he was a pitcher doesn't mean he's an orthopedic surgeon. He needs to just **** and let the Twins' medical staff or the doctors involved in the case handle the 'medical updates'.

/soapbox :redneck

ma-gaga
09-14-2006, 12:26 AM
I didn't hear this, but reading this bothers me.

IMO it is very irresponsible of Brantley to go shooting his mouth off like this without any detailed medical information at his disposal. Maybe he knows more than he is telling, but I doubt it. If in fact this is true, it is very irresponsible by the Twins' management/medical staff. I call BS.

Jeff Brantley is not a doctor, and should stop acting like one. Just because he was a pitcher doesn't mean he's an orthopedic surgeon. He needs to just **** and let the Twins' medical staff or the doctors involved in the case handle the 'medical updates'.

/soapbox :redneck

I was walking thru the airport and I heard Dr. Andrew talking on his cell phone saying that he knew that not only that Liriano tore three ligaments in his elbow, shoulder and wrist, but he has a nasty cough, and the TWINS DID NOTHING ABOUT IT!!!

You bastards. [/stan]

beckett21
09-14-2006, 12:42 AM
I was walking thru the airport and I heard Dr. Andrew talking on his cell phone saying that he knew that not only that Liriano tore three ligaments in his elbow, shoulder and wrist, but he has a nasty cough, and the TWINS DID NOTHING ABOUT IT!!!

You bastards. [/stan]

LOL. Brantley is an idiot.

In all seriousness, I'm sorry to see this happen to anyone, much less a kid with so much talent.

Hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds, but it sure doesn't sound good. I really feel for the guy. :(:

Nellie_Fox
09-14-2006, 12:52 AM
Jeff Brantley...said the Twins probably knew it was a ligament tear back in early August when he went on the DL.Sound like pure speculation on the part of Brantley, perhaps the dumbest of the BBTN crew, and that's saying something. If someone in the know told Brantley this, why didn't he go public with it before?

I think he pulled it out of his nether region.

ma-gaga
09-14-2006, 01:43 AM
LOL. Brantley is an idiot.

In all seriousness, I'm sorry to see this happen to anyone, much less a kid with so much talent.

Hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds, but it sure doesn't sound good. I really feel for the guy. :(:

I think Nellie is right, and TJ surgery will be necessary, which means no 2007 season for him. :(: I have no special insight, nor medical training, but that's the 'worst case' scenario that I'm willing to consider.

Sound like pure speculation on the part of Brantley, perhaps the dumbest of the BBTN crew, and that's saying something. If someone in the know told Brantley this, why didn't he go public with it before?

I think he pulled it out of his nether region.

Brantley is just bad. ... I know how bad BBTN has sunk when I consider John Kruk the best "analyst" on the show.

:gulp: oh well... Carry on.

TheOldRoman
09-14-2006, 02:41 AM
:KW
"Hello, Terry? Hey, man. This is Ken Williams. Sorry to hear about Liriano, that is a tough break. He is worthless to you for the next 2 years. Out of the goodness of my heart, I will take him off your hands for you. I will give you our best prospect for him... Joe Bor... hold on *whispering*. Oh, nevermind. Like I was saying, I will give you our top prospect... Jeremy Giambi."

TheOldRoman
09-14-2006, 02:44 AM
Are you talking about the two games in which the best offense in baseball scored 0 runs over 18 innings? 2 runs in one game and three in the other? The offense lost those games, just has the offense has lost most of the games in the last few weeks.

This is an opportunity for the Sox. Either they step up, or they continue doing exactly what they have been doing. I wish Liriano the best of luck on his rehab.

Hitmen77
09-14-2006, 09:33 AM
Are you talking about the two games in which the best offense in baseball scored 0 runs over 18 innings? 2 runs in one game and three in the other? The offense lost those games, just has the offense has lost most of the games in the last few weeks.

This is an opportunity for the Sox. Either they step up, or they continue doing exactly what they have been doing. I wish Liriano the best of luck on his rehab.

I completely agree. If the offense did its job on Tuesday, the bullpen wouldn't have been put in a position of having to hold the lead into extra innings. We had what could have been the winning run on 3rd with one out in the 9th and couldn't even manage a sacrafice fly.:angry:

Speaking of the offense losing us games, let's not forget those 2 losses in Boston (including the 1-0 loss) against TERRIBLE PITCHERS! If the offense could have done it's job in Boston and Tuesday in Anaheim, we'd be tied for first right now with Detroit. Big difference, huh?

We've been begging for the starting pitching to return to form all season. Now that it does, the offense that is full of .300 hitters can't score more than 2 runs in a game. I hope we start seeing more games like Wednesday because time is running out.

Flight #24
09-14-2006, 11:15 AM
FWIW, the Herald today has a quote from Thornton (who had a similar problem in the minors apparently) that he guessed exactly what would happen, and that his estimation (based on no direct knowledge) is that Liriano will need TJ and then "come back throwing 105" because he came back throwing harder than before (something that IIRC is anecdotally true for other pitchers).

Liriano + extra 5MPH = :o:

Kenny, make the move, go get him in the offseason and let him rehab on the S. Side!

viagracat
09-14-2006, 12:24 PM

Excellent. Some goofs were actually glad Liriano got hurt, which is bush. But that does not extend to the Twins team. It's their job to rise above it and take care of business. If they don't and the Sox capitalize, we'll celebrate. If Garland were to throw out his arm, I'd expect real Twins and Tigers fans to hope for his quick and complete recovery, but I would not expect them to feel sorry for the White Sox.

viagracat
09-14-2006, 12:27 PM
This reminds me a little of when Sandy Koufax threw out his shoulder--the famous quote was "something popped in my shoulder". He pitched the last game of the season on two days rest to get the Dodgers into the World Series in 1966. I remember it well. He never pitched again. :(: I wonder if he could've had more modern althletic surgery been around then.

I hope Liriano will be back, but I don't think it'll be until 2008.

Flight #24
09-14-2006, 04:08 PM
FWIW, initial MRI supposefly came back showing same as mid-season one: some wear, but structurally sound elbow. Still, it may be a matter of time, or if it's a shoulder thing (which if true would probably be due to favoring the elbow), that would potentially be worse: IIRC labrums/rotator cuffs are harder to recover from than TJ.

Lip Man 1
09-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Viagra:

According to his biography Koufax retired because of constant arthritic pain in his pitching elbow.

Lip

ws05champs
09-14-2006, 05:06 PM
IJeff Brantley is not a doctor, and should stop acting like one. Just because he was a pitcher doesn't mean he's an orthopedic surgeon.

As much as I despise Brantly, you don't need to be a doctor to be knowledgable about a specific medical condition. "Doctors" often adjust information to suit their purposes. One thing that was interesting is that he showed the release position of Liriano and how it was similar to Wood and Prior. Something else I just picked up from the book "The Last Nine Innings" is that pitchers who pitch a lot of innings early in their careers are very likely to have significant health problems as their careers go on. Sounds like Wood and Prior and may pan out to be true for Liriano.

Despite how Brantly may have made a valid point about Liraino's condition, he then went on to say that the loss of Liriano won't hurt the Twin's chances.:?:

Nellie_Fox
09-14-2006, 05:14 PM
ASomething else I just picked up from the book "The Last Nine Innings" is that pitchers who pitch a lot of innings early in their careers are very likely to have significant health problems as their careers go on. Sounds like Wood and Prior and may pan out to be true for Liriano.Except for the fact that Liriano hasn't pitched a lot of innings. He pitched all of 24 innings last year, began this year in the bullpen, and has pitched a total of 121 innings (16 starts, 12 relief appearances) this year.

Trav
09-14-2006, 06:32 PM
I just read an article that seemed to put a positive spin on the x-ray that Liriano had yesterday. I think they actually said "no structural damage." I can't find the link again. Anyone else read something like that? It did point out that he was done for the year but set his return date for the start of next year. I guess that means the BBTN people were wrong, again.

This may have been posted but I didn't see it.

beckett21
09-14-2006, 07:29 PM
As much as I despise Brantly, you don't need to be a doctor to be knowledgable about a specific medical condition. "Doctors" often adjust information to suit their purposes. One thing that was interesting is that he showed the release position of Liriano and how it was similar to Wood and Prior. Something else I just picked up from the book "The Last Nine Innings" is that pitchers who pitch a lot of innings early in their careers are very likely to have significant health problems as their careers go on. Sounds like Wood and Prior and may pan out to be true for Liriano.

Despite how Brantly may have made a valid point about Liraino's condition, he then went on to say that the loss of Liriano won't hurt the Twin's chances.:?:

While he may have made a valid point in regards to Liriano's delivery, he was wrong about the diagnosis apparently. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2587796)

What bothers me is his insinuation that the ligament was already torn and that the Twins knew this all along. It is irresponsible to pass this type of incorrect information to the public in a "factual" manner. He basically made a false accusation with no basis in reality.

If I were a member of the Twins' organization I would be livid. Leave the medicine to the doctors. It's okay to offer an opinion as a layperson, but don't try to present it as a fact, which is how I interpreted his comments last night.

And I'm not sure what you are insinuating about "doctors" manipulating information to suit their purposes. As a physician myself, I take offense to that.

thomas35forever
09-14-2006, 08:17 PM
Just learned Liriano's injury may not be as bad as feared and he may be back for the start of the 2007 season.

maurice
09-14-2006, 09:27 PM
At this point, nobody knows how fast he's going to recover (if at all). The technology is imperfect (and Brantly's ESP is even worse). Plenty of guys got positive exams and never pitched the same again. We'll just have to wait and see. I wish him the best.

palehozenychicty
09-14-2006, 09:45 PM
exactly. pitching is a funny science. supposedly he had elbow problems in frisco.....

DumpJerry
09-15-2006, 12:41 AM
I just read an article that seemed to put a positive spin on the x-ray that Liriano had yesterday. I think they actually said "no structural damage." I can't find the link again. Anyone else read something like that? It did point out that he was done for the year but set his return date for the start of next year. I guess that means the BBTN people were wrong, again.

This may have been posted but I didn't see it.
Looks like they got Prior after all. His name is Liriano.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5963338?FSO1&ATT=HMA

ma-gaga
09-15-2006, 09:33 AM
What bothers me is his insinuation that the ligament was already torn and that the Twins knew this all along. It is irresponsible to pass this type of incorrect information to the public in a "factual" manner. He basically made a false accusation with no basis in reality.

If I were a member of the Twins' organization I would be livid.

The day that the injury happened, the Twins were telling the local news stations that they didn't know where ESPN was getting their information from. They didn't know what was wrong.

So, it's Jeff Brantley, a schmuck with a bad mullet, sitting behind a desk who is wrong more often than he is right. I'm guessing the Twins don't care what he thinks, or what he says. He simply doesn't have any idea of what's going on, and is talking from his own experience. Anyone taking their information from Brantley as 100% accurate should have their head checked. He simply doesn't know.

So, yeah. With the injury, part of me wishes this was a clean tear and Tommy John was necessary. Strains really bug me, and scare me that they could be recurring AND THEN TJ will be necessary. But I guess, I'd rather have him pitching in 2007 than 2008. So. Whatever.

I hope they get several second opinions...

Nurse Brantley, paging Dr Beckett. We have a brain dead baseball analyst in waiting room 3...