PDA

View Full Version : Britt Burns

hold2dibber
02-27-2002, 12:08 PM
I'm embarrased that I don't remember this, but how/why did Britt Burns' career end? I just saw some career stats for him, and it showed that after a terrific year in '85 (18-11 with over 200 innings pitched) he never pitched again. I thought I remembered him going to the Yankees, but the stats I saw did not reflect any time with them. Did he blow out his arm in ST in '86 or something? Did he leave the Sox as a free agent, was he traded, or did he retire from the Sox? Why don't I remember any of this (maybe because I turned 21 in '86, which meant easy access to a certain memory blocker)?

RedPinStripes
02-27-2002, 12:21 PM
I can't remember either. damn I hate when that happens! I think he's a minor league pitching coach in Florida now. I'd like to have him in our system. The guy was one hell of a pitcher.

PANFIRECRACKER
02-27-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I'm embarrased that I don't remember this, but how/why did Britt Burns' career end? I just saw some career stats for him, and it showed that after a terrific year in '85 (18-11 with over 200 innings pitched) he never pitched again. I thought I remembered him going to the Yankees, but the stats I saw did not reflect any time with them. Did he blow out his arm in ST in '86 or something? Did he leave the Sox as a free agent, was he traded, or did he retire from the Sox? Why don't I remember any of this (maybe because I turned 21 in '86, which meant easy access to a certain memory blocker)?

if memory serves me, it was a degenerative hip disorder (i think)

Paulwny
02-27-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by PANFIRECRACKER

if memory serves me, it was a degenerative hip disorder (i think)

Correct

Soxboyrob
02-27-2002, 02:16 PM
While he had a hip disorder, I don't think this is what caused his retirement. I believe he was having some probs w/ the hip but that blew out a knee and couldn't recover from it. It's possible that the hip problem stopped him from being able to properly rehab the knee. Hope I got this right. It was a shame to see a guy w/ such a promising career get it cut so short. Felt bad for the guy.

RichH55
02-27-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
While he had a hip disorder, I don't think this is what caused his retirement. I believe he was having some probs w/ the hip but that blew out a knee and couldn't recover from it. It's possible that the hip problem stopped him from being able to properly rehab the knee. Hope I got this right. It was a shame to see a guy w/ such a promising career get it cut so short. Felt bad for the guy.

Is it akin to Albert Belle's injury?

Nellie_Fox
02-27-2002, 03:30 PM
I see he's now the pitching coach for the Calgary Cannons (http://www.telusplanet.net/public/cannons/roster/players/burns.html).

As I remember it, his hip condition was something he had since birth. He had surgery as a kid, and it gave out to where he couldn't pitch any more.

Paulwny
02-27-2002, 06:03 PM
From baseball library.com

Burns was actually discovered by Chicago Tribune book critic Bob Cromie. While in Birmingham in 1978, he read about a local whiz kid who had fanned 18 batters in one game. Cromie sent the clipping to his friend Bill Veeck, the White Sox owner. Later that season Burns made his Chicago debut at age 19. In 1980 the 6' 5" Burns was named TSN Rookie Pitcher of the Year on the strength of a 15-13 (2.84 ERA) season. He pitched 30 consecutive scoreless innings in 1981, a year marred by his father's death two months after being hit by a car. Over the next three seasons, injuries set in, and Burns's ERA ballooned. But he pitched his heart out in the last game of the 1983 LCS, holding the powerful Orioles in check for nine innings. The White Sox could not score either, and Tito Landrum's tenth-inning home run beat Burns. After rebounding in 1985 to go 18-11, he was traded to the Yankees, for whom he never pitched: A chronic, degenerative hip condition ended his career. (RL)

RedPinStripes
02-27-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
From baseball library.com

Burns was actually discovered by Chicago Tribune book critic Bob Cromie. While in Birmingham in 1978, he read about a local whiz kid who had fanned 18 batters in one game. Cromie sent the clipping to his friend Bill Veeck, the White Sox owner. Later that season Burns made his Chicago debut at age 19. In 1980 the 6' 5" Burns was named TSN Rookie Pitcher of the Year on the strength of a 15-13 (2.84 ERA) season. He pitched 30 consecutive scoreless innings in 1981, a year marred by his father's death two months after being hit by a car. Over the next three seasons, injuries set in, and Burns's ERA ballooned. But he pitched his heart out in the last game of the 1983 LCS, holding the powerful Orioles in check for nine innings. The White Sox could not score either, and Tito Landrum's tenth-inning home run beat Burns. After rebounding in 1985 to go 18-11, he was traded to the Yankees, for whom he never pitched: A chronic, degenerative hip condition ended his career. (RL)

Do you balme Larussa for keeping himin there in the 10th? I was never happy about that.

Paulwny
02-27-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Do you balme Larussa for keeping himin there in the 10th? I was never happy about that.

It was a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.
DAMN LANDRUM, DAMN DYBZINSKI.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-27-2002, 06:20 PM
After rebounding in 1985 to go 18-11, he was traded to the Yankees, for whom he never pitched: A chronic, degenerative hip condition ended his career. (RL)

You know what's sad? If Mike Sirotka was Britt Burns, he would have stood in front of the NY media and declared the Sox must have traded him because they knew how hurt he was.

Some guys just love to whine.

:KW
"Can't blame me for that one!"

RedPinStripes
02-27-2002, 07:29 PM

Dybzinski........He's the buckner of the southside. Except Jerry wasn't half the player.

hold2dibber
02-27-2002, 07:52 PM

Hold two, Dibber!

Paulwny
02-27-2002, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

Hold two, Dibber!

Damn, very clever!!!!