PDA

View Full Version : SoxFest Screwjob

Pages : [1] 2

ajismyhero
09-13-2006, 12:21 PM
Hello all,
I just learned today that in order to purchase a $75 weekend pass for SoxFest, one must first purchase a hotel room for the weekend...... Now, I live in the city and certainly don't need a hotel room, but desperately want to hang out at the Fest all weekend. Is there anyone who is getting a hotel room for the weekend and not purchasing all 4 weekend passes? If so, will you purchase an extra for me? I would obviously have the money to you beforehand - i can mail a check or meet downtown. Just send me a PM! Thanks!

Fake Chet Lemon
09-13-2006, 04:48 PM
I just received this:

In past years, the Chicago White Sox have been able to offer season ticket holders special access to SoxFest tickets. Unfortunately, we will not be able to make a similar offer to you this winter. Due to the change to a new venue, the expected demand for SoxFest '07 tickets, and our goal of making SoxFest a terrific experience for all who attend, we are making several changes to the way SoxFest tickets are made available.

The only way for fans to acquire a SoxFest Weekend Pass is by purchasing a two-night stay at the Palmer House Hilton. The hotel's special rate for a two-night stay is $249. Fans purchasing a two-night stay at the SoxFest rate will have the ability to purchase up to four weekend passes for $75 each..........

Sincerely,
The Chicago White Sox

Fake Chet Lemon
09-13-2006, 04:49 PM
My response back to my ticket rep:

Wow. That really, really sucks. I can't believe season ticket holders can't get some sort of access.

I travel quite a bit for work. I will immediately contact the hotel and let them know that neither I nor any of our employees will ever book another room at any of their establishments.

Regardless, thanks for the heads up. I do appreciate you making it very clear. GO SOX!!!!!!!!!

EndemicSox
09-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Terrible...

money grubbing whores...

Chicken Dinner
09-13-2006, 04:53 PM
Sounds to me that it's the White Sox are doing this not the Palmer House.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-13-2006, 04:55 PM
Sounds to me that it's the White Sox are doing this not the Palmer House.

Doesn't matter, the Hilton is part of the screwjob. Screw them.

soxfanaticpaulie
09-13-2006, 05:07 PM
I just got that too. Disturbing...

This was my response:

Dear Jeff,

Being that I am a new season ticket holder this year, and haven't attended SoxFest before, I do not know what the ticket options were in the past, so forgive me if I am speaking without needed knowledge. However, I find it rather ridiculous that the White Sox would enter into an agreement with Hilton that would require it's fans to purchase a $250 stay at a Hotel in their hometown in order to be eligible to make another purchase of $75 for a SoxFest pass.

This was going to be my first year having the chance to attend SoxFest, and since I am a season ticket holder, I must say that I was expecting some sort of priority in purchasing tickets. I would hope that the White Sox are working on offering something to this effect.

Why the change in policy? Is it truely the large number of season ticket holders as this release says? I would think that the wise thing to do in that case would have been to give priority to the most senior ST Holders. That is something that I would have completely understood. This, on the other hand, makes it look like the White Sox have some sort of agreement with Hilton, and are sticking it to their fans for some extra cash.

Say it ain't so, Jeff.

Sincerely,

Paul

I also noticed that the letter wasn't signed by my Ticket rep like they usually are, but by "The Chicago White Sox". They must know what a ****-storm this is going to create.:angry:

BainesHOF
09-13-2006, 05:11 PM
It's unbelievable that the Sox can't offer season ticket holders Soxfest tickets for at least one day.

I want to go to Soxfest. I have no interest in paying a lot of money to stay at a hotel. To tie ticket purchases to paying for a two-night hotel stay is ridiculous for what is supposed to be a fan event. It's disappointing the organization has turned it into a chance to stick it to its fans.

russ99
09-13-2006, 05:17 PM
It's unbelievable that the Sox can't offer season ticket holders Soxfest tickets for at least one day.

I want to go to Soxfest. I have no interest in paying a lot of money to stay at a hotel. To tie ticket purchases to paying for a two-night hotel stay is ridiculous for what is supposed to be a fan event.

A one-night hotel stay wouldn't be the end of the world, but this smacks of a cash grab. This reeks of Wisconsin Dells-like hotel policy.

MUsoxfan
09-13-2006, 05:29 PM
What about people that live mere blocks away from the hotel? This is unfair in every way

Frontman
09-13-2006, 05:40 PM
When the non-refundable issue hit, I was along the lines that it stunk, until I looked at how quickly season-ticket holders would have to get their deposits in if the Sox wound up missing the playoffs/eliminated from the playoffs. With the deposit being due in November, a few weeks doesn't seem all that bad.

But this is horrible. You mean to tell me that to get into SoxFest, I need to spend at least 350 bucks to stay downtown in a hotel? Come on, this is total BS Sox!

Front

soxwon
09-13-2006, 06:15 PM
$249 bucks so what
thats cheap, two people in a room
2 nights, thats just 125 bucks a head
quit complaining, and just pay it
to see the second series trophy id pay 500 bucks a night.

i

chisoxmike
09-13-2006, 06:17 PM
I'm pissed that its going on sale so soon. I have no money now.

soxwon
09-13-2006, 06:18 PM
When the non-refundable issue hit, I was along the lines that it stunk, until I looked at how quickly season-ticket holders would have to get their deposits in if the Sox wound up missing the playoffs/eliminated from the playoffs. With the deposit being due in November, a few weeks doesn't seem all that bad.

But this is horrible. You mean to tell me that to get into SoxFest, I need to spend at least 350 bucks to stay downtown in a hotel? Come on, this is total BS Sox!

Front

if the sox dont make it and i already paid for my playoff tickets $305
thats already half of next years season ticket paid
plus i have credit from ticket exchange, going towards next season.
ill only have to pay out about 200 clams for my seat.

jenn2080
09-13-2006, 06:22 PM
go or dont go. we all knew this was going to happen with the palmer house being smaller.

IlliniSox4Life
09-13-2006, 06:22 PM
$249 bucks so what
2 nights, tickets
thats just 125 bucks a head

Did I miss where sarcasm was changed from writing in teal to writing in the style of ee cummings?

You forgot the 75 dollars for the tickets too. That's $200 a head. I'm not sure in what world $125 is cheap, let alone $200. Money doesn't grow on trees.

champagne030
09-13-2006, 06:23 PM
$249 bucks so what
2 nights, tickets
thats just 125 bucks a head

You are in a very, very small minority.

jenn2080
09-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Did I miss where sarcasm was changed from writing in teal to writing in the style of ee cummings?

You forgot the 75 dollars for the tickets too. That's $200 a head. I'm not sure in what world $125 is cheap, let alone $200. Money doesn't grow on trees.

if you wanted to get autographs for players like paulie or dye you would have to pay a 100 bucks anyways. so get 4 people get the hotel that is 140 a perosn and call it a day.

champagne030
09-13-2006, 06:27 PM
if the sox dont make it and i already paid for my playoff tickets $305
thats already half of next years season ticket paid
plus i have credit from ticket exchange, going towards next season.
ill only have to pay out about 200 clams for my seat.

And the Sox rake in the interest....20,000 season tickets all paying more than what the minimum deposit requirement would be = extra $$$$. It just speaks of stiffing the buyer now that there's demand.

Domeshot17
09-13-2006, 06:27 PM
hopefully we will be getting more by having to pay for more. Hopefully no more wristbands or oversold crowd or horrible space/time management

soxwon
09-13-2006, 06:30 PM
And the Sox rake in the interest....20,000 season tickets all paying more than what the minimum deposit requirement would be = extra $$$$. It just speaks of stiffing the buyer now that there's demand.

hey its the white sox- its worth it.
the white sox are my LIFE!!!!
and should be yours too.
white sox 365 24/7 since 1965
the world revolves around the whitesox.

Blueprint1
09-13-2006, 06:34 PM
A one-night hotel stay wouldn't be the end of the world, but this smacks of a cash grab. This reeks of Wisconsin Dells-like hotel policy.

I seriously live less than a mile from this hotel. You really think it would be worth it for me to stay there? Good thing I have only gone to sox fest once and will not be going this year I guess.

soxwon
09-13-2006, 06:35 PM

your right i misread it so its 200 bucks.
just use the money youve won from
betting cub fans the sox win the series

jenn2080
09-13-2006, 06:35 PM
I seriously live less than a mile from this hotel. You really think it would be worth it for me to stay there? Good thing I have only gone to sox fest once and will not be going this year I guess.

I live 4 and while I dont agree with the whole get a hotel get a weekend pass for more cash it isnt that bad if you can find 3 others to split it

SoxEd
09-13-2006, 06:37 PM
we all knew this was going to happen with the palmer house being smaller.

:thud:

Obviously, living as I do on the wrong side of the ocean, I haven't paid much attention to the Soxfest publicity I've received; but this gem just stuns me.

I knew they'd switched hotel after winning the Grand Salami, and, numpty that I am, I assumed that they'd switch to a BIGGER venue after just ending the City's 88-year wait for a World Series.

But, no -they went smaller?

I can now see why I don't work in Marketing - I think that the WS-title might generate higher Soxfest Ticket demand, so I would have switched to a larger venue.

A seasoned Marketing professional would no doubt see my idea above for what it is - a truly embarrassing (and utterly amateurish) failure to capitalise on the WS-title win's generation of higher demand for our Product (in this instance, Soxfest tickets) by switching to a smaller venue, and thus also Reducing Supply of the Product - thereby enabling the organisers to ramp up the Product's price twice over.
Yay!

This strikes me as a PR-snafu of the sort that we thought this organisation had eliminated after the excellent PR performances of 2005.

But then, what do I know?
I'm just a foreign schmuck.

HotelWhiteSox
09-13-2006, 06:40 PM
It will probably cost a little more, but just buy 3 individual passes? So the Palmer House Hilton is smaller? I thought one of the incentives for moving was size?

soxwon
09-13-2006, 06:43 PM
It will probably cost a little more, but just buy 3 individual passes? So the Palmer House Hilton is smaller? I thought one of the incentives for moving was size?

find a friend who is staying there
give him the money for a couple of passes
stay at a lesser hotel downtown.
quite simple

if i get a room, id gladly buy the limit and sell
two passes.

NoNeckEra
09-13-2006, 06:53 PM
:thud:

I can now see why I don't work in Marketing - I think that the WS-title might generate higher Soxfest Ticket demand, so I would have switched to a larger venue.

I'm just a foreign schmuck.
You said it, I didn't.
If you've ever been to one of these, you would agree that they're much too crowded and the experience suffered greatly. At least now those who DO get in will enjoy it.

RadioheadRocks
09-13-2006, 07:22 PM
Doesn't matter, the Hilton is part of the screwjob. Screw them.

I guess Paris needs a new clutch bag. :cool:

ewokpelts
09-13-2006, 07:47 PM
$249 bucks so what

i
Last year your $250 covers 2nights in a room, 4 sets of soxfest passes, and 4 free tickets in april/may.

RIP-OFF in 07

ewokpelts
09-13-2006, 07:52 PM
a better choice would have been staying with hyatt, and moving to thier mccormick place venue...more rooms, and more parking...and the date would not interfere with any potential bears playioff game, since the week before the super bowl there are no games.
Gene

chisoxmike
09-13-2006, 08:00 PM
Didn't in years past you got FREE SoxFest tickets with the hotel package?? This seems like a total rip off.

And I'm also interested to see how the layout of the fest is going to be. I just don't see this working very well in the Palmer House.

soxwon
09-13-2006, 08:02 PM
Last year your $250 covers 2nights in a room, 4 sets of soxfest passes, and 4 free tickets in april/may.

RIP-OFF in 07

your right, it is a ripoff
but just save your money and go.
whineing isnt gonna change anything.

soxinem1
09-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Just another Reinsdorf ploy to exploit the success of the team. $75 for a weekend pass, in smaller accomidations as well?

Then the ransom rate to stay in a hotel, in your hometown. Makes sense.

I'd have rather had Sox Fest at Stephens Convention Center or McCormick Place. At least they can fit the crowds.

It's this kind of crap that gives fans like me such a low opinion of Reinsdorf.

Winning is Ugly, Indeed!

chisoxmike
09-13-2006, 08:16 PM
Just another Reinsdorf ploy to exploit the success of the team.

:rolleyes: :dtroll:

Please.

chaerulez
09-13-2006, 08:17 PM
$249 bucks so what

i

If it's worth it to you, then so be it, but for other people who need to budget their money or have other things to spend it on, don't try and say it's still some kind of deal. I know there are people that eat up everything the Sox do, but I'm not just going to sit here and state how great it is just to see Sox players when it's obviously is a screwjob.

jenn2080
09-13-2006, 09:06 PM
Just another Reinsdorf ploy to exploit the success of the team. $75 for a weekend pass, in smaller accomidations as well?

Then the ransom rate to stay in a hotel, in your hometown. Makes sense.

I'd have rather had Sox Fest at Stephens Convention Center or McCormick Place. At least they can fit the crowds.

Winning is Ugly, Indeed!

That is just plain out ridiculous. It would be a mad house. Every Tom Dick and Harry would be there. No reason to have it at a place the ones your listed. Do you think the Bears or Cubs or any team has it at a place that size? If it was at a place that size you'd be bitching because of the crowds. This isnt the Autoshow. And yes it does make sense for a hotel. Lets see you are living in say Napervillle and you have a weekend pass. Does driving back and forth makes sense for 3 days? Do you not think maybe the hotel has something to do with the prices? Get over yourself if you dont like it dont go! :rolleyes:

soxwon
09-13-2006, 09:09 PM
If it's worth it to you, then so be it, but for other people who need to budget their money or have other things to spend it on, don't try and say it's still some kind of deal. I know there are people that eat up everything the Sox do, but I'm not just going to sit here and state how great it is just to see Sox players when it's obviously is a screwjob.

read the second post on this page.
i agree it is a ripoff.
But if you dont go- dont go
if you can afford it- do so.
soxfest is not as great as it used to be.
i simply go to drink with the players
the autographs are no big deal to me.

Brian26
09-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Maybe I'm the only rational person here, but I can't help but see this as a "damned if you do/damned if you don't" situation for the White Sox.

The Sox just won the World Series last year, which increased their popularity and inevitably created the typical surge of the bandwagon jumping crowd.

Anyone who went to Soxfest last year knows that it was uncomfortable. It was a great event, and I still enjoyed myself, but it was really borderline scary with the amount of people there. They oversold the event, which caused longer than usual lines for autographs, seminars which were so packed that seating wasn't available, the vendors area was so mobbed that it was impossible to walk through...it turned out to be a negative experience for many people.

So the White Sox had two options: a.) They could either upscale the size of the venue or b.) downsize the amount of people who can attend.

They chose option b.), with the reasoning that they will provide a *better* experience for the fans who attend. Autograph lines will once again be manageable (maybe you'll get three autos instead of one this time). You'll be able to browse the vendors stands without suffocating. The seminars will once again be comfortable. It will be a better overall experience for the true fans. If you look at the other option (say, using McCormick Place instead), some of the big problems still exist. Can you imagine using a bigger venue and letting even more people in? It would be impossible to get any autographs, and the seminars would become extremely impersonal.

The only drawback this year is that the people who attend are going to have to pay a premium. This is the same thing that happened last year with the playoffs, guys. A lot of true fans got shut out. A lot of people ponied up the money and got in. That's the way life works. Because the Sox won the World Series, the price of this "hobby" got more expensive for many of the true fans.

I don't mean to sound like a Reinsdorf apologist, but you have to look at this rationally. With the higher stakes, maybe some of the borderline bandwagon fans will decide to not spend the money and the true Sox fans who want to pay the price can at least have a pleasurable experience. It's easy to complain, but does anyone have a better solution? I sure don't see one.

Brian26
09-13-2006, 09:28 PM
Didn't in years past you got FREE SoxFest tickets with the hotel package?? This seems like a total rip off.

Yeah, in the late 90s when the Sox were battling to finish within 15 games of first place Cleveland, they were giving away Soxfest tickets. Back then you could go stand in line for 20 minutes to get a Ray Durham or Carlos Castillo autograph. Times change, thankfully.

MUsoxfan
09-13-2006, 09:30 PM
Last year was my first and probably only Soxfest. It was nice, but for $600 I can spend the weekend in Vegas.

anewman35
09-13-2006, 09:36 PM
Maybe I'm the only rational person here, but I can't help but see this as a "damned if you do/damned if you don't" situation for the White Sox.

No, I totally agree with you. Has anybody here taken basic economics? It's supply and demand. Even if YOU think it's a ripoff, odds are very good that enough people won't think that. If it's not worth it to you (and it's certianly not worth it to me), then don't go. I'm sure they'll be full reports here all about it, and you can use your money to buy more tickets for next year or something.

jenn2080
09-13-2006, 09:37 PM
last year i went on fri got my tix for 30 bucks through Goldcoast tix because I decided I was going about 10 min before I left work that I wanted to go. I was ok with that one day. Between my brother and I we got 4 autographs and I was content. I think it just excitment of being back with the Sox. My friend ended up with a weekend total of 10 autographs. You have to be smart about it. I do not think I would have wanted to be there on Sat or Sun but I was happy with the turn about of Fri other then the parents with teacups in strollers.

BanditJimmy
09-13-2006, 09:40 PM
This is the least of my worries right now. If we get no play-offs this year, the last thing I want to do is go stand 4 hours for any ones autograph. I've been a Sox fan since 82 and never have I had the desire to go to this event and chase long lines for a player / coach's autograph. I find no fun is seeing my favorite baseball players in street clothes.

I know I'm in the minority.

Sorry guys.

MUsoxfan
09-13-2006, 09:41 PM
No, I totally agree with you. Has anybody here taken basic economics? It's supply and demand.

They took something that was more popular than ever and put it in a smaller venue. Then they went and threw on unneeded expenses for people making Chicagoans stay in a Chicago hotel. It's not that I'm whining so much as don't understand the logic.

Oblong
09-13-2006, 09:48 PM
What do they have at Sox Fest?

Every January right before Spring Training the Tigers hold Tigerfest at Joe Louis Arena. They have most of the set up on the floor of the arena, exhibits and stuff like that, plus concessions out in the concourse. The players do clinics, there's photo booths, they have a live radio broadcast where they'll interview the manager, GM, players, etc. Ther's usually a Q&A. Then for autographs they have stations set up. They also have shuttles to do tours of Comerica park.

The only bad part is they rotate autographs every hour or so. You don't know who you are going to get until you get up there.

It only costs $7. Granted you are in an arena and sitting in arena seats but it's still a great time because it's cold outside and it gets you excited about baseball.

The cost of SoxFest is almost as much as my season tickets. Though it would be cool to make a weekend out of it with your buddies. Not to mention you are in a great city so you can party afterwards.

whitesoxwin
09-13-2006, 09:54 PM
My response back to my ticket rep:

Wow. That really, really sucks. I can't believe season ticket holders can't get some sort of access.

I travel quite a bit for work. I will immediately contact the hotel and let them know that neither I nor any of our employees will ever book another room at any of their establishments.

Regardless, thanks for the heads up. I do appreciate you making it very clear. GO SOX!!!!!!!!!

Similar to my response to our Rep...
But, I wanted to know if there was a bottle of champagne, a case of Miller light and a chocolate on the pillow?
Simply put: RIP-OFF.....

MUsoxfan
09-13-2006, 09:57 PM

Every January right before Spring Training the Tigers hold Tigerfest at Joe Louis Arena. They have most of the set up on the floor of the arena, exhibits and stuff like that, plus concessions out in the concourse. The players do clinics, there's photo booths, they have a live radio broadcast where they'll interview the manager, GM, players, etc. Ther's usually a Q&A. Then for autographs they have stations set up. They also have shuttles to do tours of Comerica park.

The only bad part is they rotate autographs every hour or so. You don't know who you are going to get until you get up there.

It only costs $7. Granted you are in an arena and sitting in arena seats but it's still a great time because it's cold outside and it gets you excited about baseball.

The cost of SoxFest is almost as much as my season tickets. Though it would be cool to make a weekend out of it with your buddies. Not to mention you are in a great city so you can party afterwards.

Soxfest is pretty similar, except that they use hotel ballrooms instead of an arena. Autograph lines are so long they're silly. I was coming back from the bars at 4am and people were already lining up with their kids in the hallways for a Konerko autograph.

I did use it as a weekend to hang out with my buddies and we had a blast.

The one very cool thing is the Q & A sessions that fans have with various players/execs. Some really interesting things come out during those. My only experience is last year so it was pretty much a lovefest, but I can imagine it's really interesting after a down year.

HotelWhiteSox
09-13-2006, 10:00 PM

Autographs (schedule known before hand), Q & A sessions with players, former players, broadcasters, and coaches, Player clinic type things, Little stands of Sox and baseball memorbilia/White Sox garage sale, etc. IIRC it's been $15 in the past. Haven't been to one, but from I read here, the best part seems to be being in the bar afterwards and hanging with the players

IlliniSox4Life
09-13-2006, 10:03 PM
No, I totally agree with you. Has anybody here taken basic economics? It's supply and demand. Even if YOU think it's a ripoff, odds are very good that enough people won't think that. If it's not worth it to you (and it's certianly not worth it to me), then don't go. I'm sure they'll be full reports here all about it, and you can use your money to buy more tickets for next year or something.

People aren't complaining about basic supply and demand. People realize that even with these prices they will sell the event out. The issue, however, is that this is a weekend for fans. Is it right for the Sox to limit this event to people with large disposable incomes and can afford to spend a couple hundred bucks a piece a weekend, especially when the Sox have tried to market themselves towards families. If you are a family of four that wants to go, it's going to cost you $600, and I would guess most families can't afford to spend that on something like SoxFest. Why would a team market themselves towards families but exclude them from attending SoxFest by pricing it out of their range?

anewman35
09-13-2006, 10:10 PM
People aren't complaining about basic supply and demand. People realize that even with these prices they will sell the event out. The issue, however, is that this is a weekend for fans. Is it right for the Sox to limit this event to people with large disposable incomes and can afford to spend a couple hundred bucks a piece a weekend, especially when the Sox have tried to market themselves towards families. If you are a family of four that wants to go, it's going to cost you $600, and I would guess most families can't afford to spend that on something like SoxFest. Why would a team market themselves towards families but exclude them from attending SoxFest by pricing it out of their range?

Most (if not all) of the money goes to charity, does it not? That being the case, I don't have a problem with the Sox charging as much as they want.

Anyway, I can't see the Sox sitting down and deciding "let's screw over real fans!". I'm sure they want to make the event as good as possible for the people who attend, and if raising the prices is the way to do it, so be it.

MUsoxfan
09-13-2006, 10:11 PM
Also, I was curious as to what the normal rate is at the Palmer House because in years past the Hyatt gave Soxfest discounts. The normal rate is....you guessed it...about $250. Thanks Palmer House!

MUsoxfan
09-13-2006, 10:13 PM
Most (if not all) of the money goes to charity, does it not? That being the case, I don't have a problem with the Sox charging as much as they want.

The actual Soxfest ticket price goes to White Sox charities. The $250/night at the Palmer House goes towards Paris Hilton's next car

anewman35
09-13-2006, 10:17 PM
There's a pretty good solution for people who can't afford $600 and want to go to Soxfest. Don't get a hotel package, wait til the one day tickets go on sale and just try to get those. And if they sell out? They'll still be on stubhub, and you won't need to give any money to Hilton in the process.

IlliniSox4Life
09-13-2006, 10:23 PM

Anyway, I can't see the Sox sitting down and deciding "let's screw over real fans!". I'm sure they want to make the event as good as possible for the people who attend, and if raising the prices is the way to do it, so be it.

I doubt any of the hotel fee is going to charity. I doubt the Palmer House is just letting people stay there for free. The announcement says "The hotel's special SoxFest rate for a two-night stay is $249, plus applicable tax ". The 250 is going to the hotel, it's the hotel's rate. That is what this is about, not the $75 ticket fee.

Of course they didn't say "let's screw over the real fans", and of course they want to make the experience as good as possible for the fans, but why does it have to require a hotel stay? It's simple. Sell the same number of tickets but don't require the hotel stay. If the Palmer House doesn't like it, tough, find another place. I'm sure there are other locations that can host this event in the city.

jenn2080
09-13-2006, 10:56 PM
The actual Soxfest ticket price goes to White Sox charities. The $250/night at the Palmer House goes towards Paris Hilton's next car

$250 for a weekend in a hotel downtown is nothing. That is actually a great deal esp for the location.

Tragg
09-13-2006, 11:07 PM

. another forget don't trait cummings key

ND_Sox_Fan
09-13-2006, 11:34 PM
Having gone last year, I don't think that this is so bad.

The hotel stay requirement to get the weekend pass is probably to keep people from sleeping in the lobby or in line.

Brian put it well earlier with the supply and demand issue. I have no problem paying a little more to hopefully get a better product.

It will be a better experience if they keep people from sleeping in the hallways and lobby, manage the crowd and allow people space to breathe.

StillMissOzzie
09-14-2006, 12:11 AM
find a friend who is staying there
give him the money for a couple of passes
stay at a lesser hotel downtown.
quite simple

if i get a room, id gladly buy the limit and sell
two passes.

It would not surprise me at all to find SoxFest weekend passes for sale on eBay within nanoseconds of the hotel packages going on sale. :angry:

Yeah, I remember the good old days when you'd get a set of four SoxFest passes with the weekend package, too. The price of sucess, I guess. :whiner:

SMO
:gulp:

soxfanreggie
09-14-2006, 02:05 AM
If I was an out-of-state Sox fan, I might consider taking a vacation to Chicago. I'm a diehard Sox fan, but I'd rather take the money and take a nice vacation to Vegas or to Florida to see the fam. I can take the rest of the money and buy some Sox tickets.

It's one of those things that if you want to go the whole weekend, they're going to make you shell out for the rooms. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox aren't paying a dime for using the conference rooms, etc. because of all the business this will drive the Palmer.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-14-2006, 08:08 AM
$249 bucks so what

i

OK Bobby Knight, we should just lay back and enjoy it? No. Don't screw people just because you can (they think they can anyway).

It goes a little beyond the money too. Reinsdord has ALWAYS been embarrassed a tad by the "blue-collarness" of the White Sox fan base. Look at his silver-spoon background and compare to a typical Sox fans. Now that demand is high, he is starting to make his moves to do a little ethnic-cleansing of the fan base. He's "cleaning" us up some, trying to yuppiefy us to a degree. The tear down of old Comiskey was all about this.

jenn2080
09-14-2006, 08:25 AM
OK Bobby Knight, we should just lay back and enjoy it? No. Don't screw people just because you can (they think they can anyway).

It goes a little beyond the money too. Reinsdord has ALWAYS been embarrassed a tad by the "blue-collarness" of the White Sox fan base. Look at his silver-spoon background and compare to a typical Sox fans. Now that demand is high, he is starting to make his moves to do a little ethnic-cleansing of the fan base. He's "cleaning" us up some, trying to yuppiefy us to a degree. The tear down of old Comiskey was all about this.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

NoNeckEra
09-14-2006, 08:32 AM

Congratulations! You're getting responses to your post. Too bad you couldn't have said something meaningful and not so foolish.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-14-2006, 09:11 AM
Congratulations! You're getting responses to your post. Too bad you couldn't have said something meaningful and not so foolish.

???? If you don't think Reinsdorf has ever had any intention of making the Sox fan base more "professional" or more "corporate" I just can't help you. We can't all always see the bigger picture I guess.

Did you ever attend a game at the old-Comiskey?????

NoNeckEra
09-14-2006, 09:18 AM
???? If you don't think Reinsdorf has ever had any intention of making the Sox fan base more "professional" or more "corporate" I just can't help you. We can't all always see the bigger picture I guess.

Did you ever attend a game at the old-Comiskey?????
Been to "Old" Comiskey since 1960. What is your point here? That after 25 years, our owner is trying to "cleanse" our fanbase and weed out "lower class" fans?

You've got to be kidding me. Do you just hate JR? Do you think every time the Sox make a marketing decision he is right in the middle of the decision?
Please tell me this is all a joke(without teal), right?

Iwritecode
09-14-2006, 09:34 AM

The hotel stay requirement to get the weekend pass is probably to keep people from sleeping in the lobby or in line.

Brian put it well earlier with the supply and demand issue. I have no problem paying a little more to hopefully get a better product.

It will be a better experience if they keep people from sleeping in the hallways and lobby, manage the crowd and allow people space to breathe.

People staying at the hotel were sleeping in line last year too. They just never went up to their rooms.

The idea of requiring a hotel stay to get weekend passes is the worst idea in the history of Soxfest and won't solve anything.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Been to "Old" Comiskey since 1960. What is your point here? That after 25 years, our owner is trying to "cleanse" our fanbase and weed out "lower class" fans?

You've got to be kidding me. Do you just hate JR? Do you think every time the Sox make a marketing decision he is right in the middle of the decision?
Please tell me this is all a joke(without teal), right?

No, he is the BEST owner overall this town will ever have. But he is Chairman of the Board, not Chairman of the FanBase. I just think he's goes a little overboard serving the Board at the expense of the fanbase. That was basically my point. I do think every JR decision is almost 100% what's best for the Board and the fanbase doesn't get enough weight.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-14-2006, 09:40 AM
People staying at the hotel were sleeping in line last year too. They just never went up to their rooms.

The idea of requiring a hotel stay to get weekend passes is the worst idea in the history of Soxfest and won't solve anything.

If the Sox decided to move SoxFest to Tuscon the week before Spring Training, then they could sell me on hotel package tie-in. Fine. But not when it is in our own town!

I'm probably going a little overboard, I just really, really, really have enjoyed SoxFest over the years and I'm going to miss it.

champagne030
09-14-2006, 09:42 AM

Why would the hotel stay requirement keep people from sleeping in line or the lobby? People with a one day pass can camp out too and a lot of the people sleeping in line last year had rooms in the Hyatt.

I don't understand why the product will be better. They might sell less tickets, but you're going into a smaller place....If they move into a space 25% smaller and reduce tickets available by 25%, you're still ****ed. You're still going to be packed in there wall to wall, nose to nose with no "space to breathe". Maybe you'll spend less time in a line, but it's still not going to be a pleasant experience.

salty99
09-14-2006, 10:02 AM
I know how about we all pitch in and pay for CORE OF THE CORE DARK CLOUD FEST where we can pay the whole team to come to Puffer's and hang out with us!

ewokpelts
09-14-2006, 10:26 AM
your right, it is a ripoff
but just save your money and go.
whineing isnt gonna change anything.kinda hard when season tickets went up, and any unuse dplayoff money wont be refunded back to me.....some fo us have lives, you know

Jerko
09-14-2006, 10:28 AM
I'm surprised it took this long for this to happen. They already had the overnight packages available, it was only a matter of time that it became the rule instead of a choice.

jenn2080
09-14-2006, 10:29 AM
If the Sox decided to move SoxFest to Tuscon the week before Spring Training, then they could sell me on hotel package tie-in. Fine. But not when it is in our own town!

I'm probably going a little overboard, I just really, really, really have enjoyed SoxFest over the years and I'm going to miss it.

if you planned on going to sox fest the whole weekend and you lived in the burbs as it shows you do dont you think it may appeal to alot of people esp with gas prices and parking. take the train in on fri leave on sun get a hotel in the city instead of having to drive 20+ miles out to the burbs everyday.

stop counting your chickens before they hatch. they still are selling tickets without the hotel. so dont get your tighty whities all in a bunch as of yet.

ewokpelts
09-14-2006, 10:29 AM

The Sox just won the World Series last year, which increased their popularity and inevitably created the typical surge of the bandwagon jumping crowd.

Anyone who went to Soxfest last year knows that it was uncomfortable. It was a great event, and I still enjoyed myself, but it was really borderline scary with the amount of people there. They oversold the event, which caused longer than usual lines for autographs, seminars which were so packed that seating wasn't available, the vendors area was so mobbed that it was impossible to walk through...it turned out to be a negative experience for many people.

So the White Sox had two options: a.) They could either upscale the size of the venue or b.) downsize the amount of people who can attend.

They chose option b.), with the reasoning that they will provide a *better* experience for the fans who attend. Autograph lines will once again be manageable (maybe you'll get three autos instead of one this time). You'll be able to browse the vendors stands without suffocating. The seminars will once again be comfortable. It will be a better overall experience for the true fans. If you look at the other option (say, using McCormick Place instead), some of the big problems still exist. Can you imagine using a bigger venue and letting even more people in? It would be impossible to get any autographs, and the seminars would become extremely impersonal.

The only drawback this year is that the people who attend are going to have to pay a premium. This is the same thing that happened last year with the playoffs, guys. A lot of true fans got shut out. A lot of people ponied up the money and got in. That's the way life works. Because the Sox won the World Series, the price of this "hobby" got more expensive for many of the true fans.

I don't mean to sound like a Reinsdorf apologist, but you have to look at this rationally. With the higher stakes, maybe some of the borderline bandwagon fans will decide to not spend the money and the true Sox fans who want to pay the price can at least have a pleasurable experience. It's easy to complain, but does anyone have a better solution? I sure don't see one.
simple solution to the autograph problem.
Let a card show promoter run the autographs and tables.
Chrage for autos, with all teh money going to the charity group.
The cardinals do this.

Gene

p.s. have you notied that White Sox charieties dosent get any money from soxfest ticket sales, but cubs convnetion and bears conventiosn fund thier charity groups with ticket revenue?

robiwho
09-14-2006, 10:30 AM

:rolleyes:

I'm sure you're right -- their employees probably all work for free and I bet the county doesn't charge the Palmer House any property taxes. Heck, ComEd probably gives them electricity for free.

It's called running a business -- and $250 is a great rate for a two-night stay in the Loop.

ewokpelts
09-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Yeah, in the late 90s when the Sox were battling to finish within 15 games of first place Cleveland, they were giving away Soxfest tickets. Back then you could go stand in line for 20 minutes to get a Ray Durham or Carlos Castillo autograph. Times change, thankfully.brin, this policy was in effect LAST YEAR.
I have always gotten 4 sets of passes with my room, as well as 4 free tickets to a game.
Gene

ewokpelts
09-14-2006, 10:34 AM

Anyway, I can't see the Sox sitting down and deciding "let's screw over real fans!". I'm sure they want to make the event as good as possible for the people who attend, and if raising the prices is the way to do it, so be it.no money from ticket sales goes to charity....this is in stark contrast to the cubs and bears......all their ticket sales go to charity.

AND....it's in a larger hilton.

ewokpelts
09-14-2006, 10:35 AM
The actual Soxfest ticket price goes to White Sox charities. The $250/night at the Palmer House goes towards Paris Hilton's next cari have NEVER seen any press release about sox fest mention that ticket revenue goes to sox charities.....it's a money run for the organization....AND it has a corporate sponsor!

chisoxmike
09-14-2006, 10:36 AM
And if they sell out? They'll still be on stubhub, and you won't need to give any money to Hilton in the process.

I will never, EVER pay more than face value for a ****ing SoxFest ticket. When you thinking about it, buying a ticket to soxfest is buying a ticket to a Sox mall, where there, you will buy more.

While I enjoy SoxFest and go every year, I wont be heart broken if i am not able to go one year. I planned on getting a room for 07 but I dont know now. I think its a rip off that you wont be getting sox fest tickets with your room. The overall price of the weekend hotel rate isn't that bad. Two nights $250. Thats a deal folks. But what sucks is that who have to pay extra to actually go to the fest. They should throw in one set of tickets or, two tickets for one of the days,

ewokpelts
09-14-2006, 10:38 AM

It goes a little beyond the money too. Reinsdord has ALWAYS been embarrassed a tad by the "blue-collarness" of the White Sox fan base. Look at his silver-spoon background and compare to a typical Sox fans. Now that demand is high, he is starting to make his moves to do a little ethnic-cleansing of the fan base. He's "cleaning" us up some, trying to yuppiefy us to a degree. The tear down of old Comiskey was all about this.jerry was a jewish kid from brooklyn...hardly silver spoon......he made his money as an adult after moving here in the 50's.

champagne030
09-14-2006, 10:44 AM

I'm sure you're right -- their employees probably all work for free and I bet the county doesn't charge the Palmer House any property taxes. Heck, ComEd probably gives them electricity for free.

It's called running a business -- and $250 is a great rate for a two-night stay in the Loop.

I'm sure the Hilton's not making any profit. They Sox guarantee their hotel is filled and they offer a zero discount.....

robiwho
09-14-2006, 10:57 AM
I'm sure the Hilton's not making any profit. They Sox guarantee their hotel is filled and they offer a zero discount.....

Actually, you'd pay way more if you weren't in a room block. $250 is a huge discount. I'm a meeting planner and would be thrilled if I could get a rate as low as $125 a night at a downtown hotel for one of my conferences.

Of course they're making a profit. It's a business -- what do you expect? The :rolleyes: was for the implication that the $250 from each room was being wired directly to Paris Hilton's bank account.

Iwritecode
09-14-2006, 11:02 AM
i have NEVER seen any press release about sox fest mention that ticket revenue goes to sox charities.....it's a money run for the organization....AND it has a corporate sponsor!

Search for Soxfest on the Sox main site. I'm pretty sure there were articles in past years that mentioned it.

Iwritecode
09-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Actually, you'd pay way more if you weren't in a room block. $250 is a huge discount. I'm a meeting planner and would be thrilled if I could get a rate as low as $125 a night at a downtown hotel for one of my conferences.

You're right. $250 isn't bad for a 2-night stay at a hotel. But $150 for 2 weekend passes into Soxfest is beyond ridiculous. That's what people are complaining about.

If it was like last year and that $250 included getting me into Soxfest all weekend, I wouldn't have a problem.

Last year weekend passes were $40. They haven't given a single good reason for the price hike.

MUsoxfan
09-14-2006, 11:21 AM
$250 for a weekend in a hotel downtown is nothing. That is actually a great deal esp for the location.

One of my best friends lives mere blocks away from the hotel. Our initial plan was to get tickets and stay at his place. Why would we spend $250 to stay at a hotel only 4 blocks away from his house?

robiwho
09-14-2006, 11:23 AM
You're right. $250 isn't bad for a 2-night stay at a hotel. But $150 for 2 weekend passes into Soxfest is beyond ridiculous. That's what people are complaining about.

If it was like last year and that $250 included getting me into Soxfest all weekend, I wouldn't have a problem.

Last year weekend passes were $40. They haven't given a single good reason for the price hike.

That's an entirely different issue. I was responding to one specific post that was complaining about the hotel cost.

While I'm not defending it, I'm not entirely surprised at this change. I could never figure out how the Sox or White Sox Charities or whomever were making any money off the hotel/admission deal. It was great for us fans, and I'm definitely not looking forward to paying an extra $75 per weekend pass.

jenn2080
09-14-2006, 11:25 AM
One of my best friends lives mere blocks away from the hotel. Our initial plan was to get tickets and stay at his place. Why would we spend $250 to stay at a hotel only 4 blocks away from his house?

then you should wait until the tix go on sale in jan.

Iwritecode
09-14-2006, 11:30 AM
That's an entirely different issue. I was responding to one specific post that was complaining about the hotel cost.

While I'm not defending it, I'm not entirely surprised at this change. I could never figure out how the Sox or White Sox Charities or whomever were making any money off the hotel/admission deal. It was great for us fans, and I'm definitely not looking forward to paying an extra $75 per weekend pass.

From what I've heard, the admission price for Soxfest all goes to charity. The Sox probably make most of their money off the over-priced food, souvineirs, and garage-sale items.

It's great that the money goes to charity but raising the prices that drastically is going to force out many families. The exact group they insist they are targeting. Most people simply can't afford $550+ for one weekend.

ND_Sox_Fan
09-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Why would the hotel stay requirement keep people from sleeping in line or the lobby? People with a one day pass can camp out too and a lot of the people sleeping in line last year had rooms in the Hyatt.

I don't understand why the product will be better. They might sell less tickets, but you're going into a smaller place....If they move into a space 25% smaller and reduce tickets available by 25%, you're still ****ed. You're still going to be packed in there wall to wall, nose to nose with no "space to breathe". Maybe you'll spend less time in a line, but it's still not going to be a pleasant experience.

I can't see the Hilton allowing people to do it. If the stay requirement doesn't do it, the change of venue certainly should.

soxinem1
09-14-2006, 11:38 AM
That is just plain out ridiculous. It would be a mad house. Every Tom Dick and Harry would be there. No reason to have it at a place the ones your listed. Do you think the Bears or Cubs or any team has it at a place that size? If it was at a place that size you'd be bitching because of the crowds. This isnt the Autoshow. And yes it does make sense for a hotel. Lets see you are living in say Napervillle and you have a weekend pass. Does driving back and forth makes sense for 3 days? Do you not think maybe the hotel has something to do with the prices? Get over yourself if you dont like it dont go! :rolleyes:

I'll put it to you this way. I have gone to many SoxFests' and have enjoyed them all, but the Hyatt was too small to begin with, now the Palmer House is even smaller.

Plus, I have NEVER waited in line for an autograph, I don't know why anyone does. Last year, I showed my son my 'method' and he got Konerko, Dye, AJ, Goose Gossage, and several others without waiting in line for any of them. It has worked for me for years. This was before the World Series.

So then you move to a smaller place, have the prices raised, and most people have to wait in line for hours to get an autograph? Please X2! Almost all the players on the Sox are good autograph issuers, so waiting in line for them is absurd. Just get them at the park either before the game or outside when they leave The Cell!

I just think it is a shame that a team enjoys some success and decides to stick it to the fans. Why does the team have to dictate your options? They should just offer the package like they have in the past, not tell you that in order to get a weekend pass you HAVE TO stay at the Palmer House. That's BS!

doogiec
09-14-2006, 12:04 PM
This was an inevitable, if unfortunate, change.

The popularity of the event, with the increasing popularity of the Sox doomed Soxfest as we knew it.

Most people come for autographs. With only 20 or so reasonable options to give autographs, a larger venue (or small venue with large crowds) would only anger a large percentage of attendees, as I hear happened last year.

At one of the early Soxfests, my son got an autograph and picture with Frank Thomas and Ozzie Guillen in the same line with a wait time of under 90 minutes. The next year he returned and got the picture itself autographed, and I know we didn't wait much more than an hour. That's how much its changed in the last several years.

Their only choice was to lower the crowd size and venue size. And if you do that, you know tickets are going to increase in value. So why let the scalpers make the money?

This used to be a great, low cost event for families. For it to return to that, the Sox need to be lousy for a few years in a row. There's just not enough players to sign 20,000 autographs in a weekend.

tacosalbarojas
09-14-2006, 12:14 PM
Sure, except for when you could spend $2.50 on an el ride to and from the event.

tacosalbarojas
09-14-2006, 12:15 PM
The idea of requiring a hotel stay to get weekend passes is the worst idea in the history of SoxfestAnd there's nothing else even remotely in the team photo

BainesHOF
09-14-2006, 01:22 PM
Don't forget to add parking up to $40 a day in addition to the $250 charge and the $75 weekend pass. I hit the garage sale and always pick up some items plus I bring some stuff for players to sign. There is no way I can take the train or el and carry everything.

kobo
09-14-2006, 01:23 PM
If people want to go to Soxfest for the weekend and don't want to get a hotel room then wait until January when the passes go on sale. I think the price of the weekend pass is ridiculous and therefore will not go. I don't need autographs, I don't need to look at what overpriced items the vendors are selling, the only thing that interests me anymore are the seminars. I've been fortuante enough to get in for free the last couple of years, but I don't see Soxfest as something I have to attend every year.

tacosalbarojas
09-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Don't forget to add parking up to $40 a day in addition to the $250 charge and the $75 weekend pass. I hit the garage sale and always pick up some items plus I bring some stuff for players to sign. There is no way I can take the train or el and carry everything.
Many people do though, or drive, either way, and the point is the hotel room is an unnecessary expense for many. $40 a day, if it's that...I don't think I've ever payed that much for parking, but either way, it is not close to the $250 for the hotel room.

Iwritecode
09-14-2006, 01:46 PM
If people want to go to Soxfest for the weekend and don't want to get a hotel room then wait until January when the passes go on sale.

From what I've read, the weekend passes won't go on sale. Tickets for indiviual days are supposed to go on sale in January. With the way things are so far, I'm guessing a one-day pass will be about $50 or more...

kobo
09-14-2006, 01:58 PM
From what I've read, the weekend passes won't go on sale. Tickets for indiviual days are supposed to go on sale in January. With the way things are so far, I'm guessing a one-day pass will be about $50 or more...
What everyone should be questioning is why the raise in the admission price to Soxfest? I have a feeling that the deal with the Palmer House stipulates they have to sell a certain amount of rooms which is why they are pushing these hotel packages. The increase in price could then be attributed to the Palmer House and where in the hotel the fest will be held (booking of event rooms, space, etc.). To me, this seems like it was more likely a bad deal the Sox got themselves into, and if enough people complain this year then thee may be another change for Soxfest 08.

Iwritecode
09-14-2006, 02:04 PM
What everyone should be questioning is why the raise in the admission price to Soxfest? I have a feeling that the deal with the Palmer House stipulates they have to sell a certain amount of rooms which is why they are pushing these hotel packages. The increase in price could then be attributed to the Palmer House and where in the hotel the fest will be held (booking of event rooms, space, etc.). To me, this seems like it was more likely a bad deal the Sox got themselves into, and if enough people complain this year then thee may be another change for Soxfest 08.

If they had to sell a certain amount of rooms then they could charge the same as last year and keep the requirement of having to buy a 2-night package to get a weekend pass.

If anything, this will cause them to sell less because nobody wants to spend that much.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Most people come for autographs.

I never got a single autograph. The Q&A's were always packed. Getting a chance to ask Ozzie, Kenny and Hawk questions was always the high-lite for me.

They could even do stuff like that remotely with video screens and all if space is the issue.

maurice
09-14-2006, 02:25 PM
I don't care what they charge for admission. If they can get it, good for them. Capitalism, supply/demand, and all that. I probably won't go, because it's too much money, but more power to them. Reap the rewards of your success. It's the American way.

OTOH, it's a total screw job on season ticket holders who otherwise would commute downtown, especially those who live downtown. Way to screw some of your best customers for no apparent reason!

BTW, $250 / 2 nights is not a deal at the Palmer House. It's a pretty typical weekend rate.

jenn2080
09-14-2006, 02:33 PM
I don't care what they charge for admission. If they can get it, good for them. Capitalism, supply/demand, and all that. I probably won't go, because it's too much money, but more power to them. Reap the rewards of your success. It's the American way.

OTOH, it's a total screw job on season ticket holders who otherwise would commute downtown, especially those who live downtown. Way to screw some of your best customers for no apparent reason!

BTW, $250 / 2 nights is not a deal at the Palmer House. It's a pretty typical weekend rate.

i think it was more so that 250 is not that bad for a downtown hotel for the weekend

maurice
09-14-2006, 02:40 PM
FWIW, if you stayed at the Palmer House on either of the previous 2 weekends, it would cost you only $99 / night.

KMKsuburbannoise
09-14-2006, 02:53 PM
I haven't been to soxfest for probably 8 or 9 years. I just really had no one to go with. I tried to go last year but waited too long. Now, this year I am looking ahead and I get hit with this ****. I really just want to go to one day. So, hopefullly I could get in on that Saturday.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-14-2006, 02:56 PM
FWIW, if you stayed at the Palmer House on either of the previous 2 weekends, it would cost you only $99 / night.

Oh thanks. That helps calm me down! :wink:

ewokpelts
09-14-2006, 02:59 PM
Search for Soxfest on the Sox main site. I'm pretty sure there were articles in past years that mentioned it.nope...no mention...sox charities has to SELL stuff there to raise money.....

ewokpelts
09-14-2006, 03:01 PM
From what I've heard, the admission price for Soxfest all goes to charity. The Sox probably make most of their money off the over-priced food, souvineirs, and garage-sale items.

It's great that the money goes to charity but raising the prices that drastically is going to force out many families. The exact group they insist they are targeting. Most people simply can't afford $550+ for one weekend.NO MENTION AT ALL IN THIER MAGAZINES, NEWSLETTER, WEBSITES, EMAILS, ECT.....

this is all for uncle jerry and the board.....

ewokpelts
09-14-2006, 03:04 PM
If people want to go to Soxfest for the weekend and don't want to get a hotel room then wait until January when the passes go on sale. I think the price of the weekend pass is ridiculous and therefore will not go. I don't need autographs, I don't need to look at what overpriced items the vendors are selling, the only thing that interests me anymore are the seminars. I've been fortuante enough to get in for free the last couple of years, but I don't see Soxfest as something I have to attend every year.
HEY!
I was a vendor last year, and I can say witha clea conscience that we did not sell overpriced items.
We were LOWER than the sox on our most popular item(Topps WS set).
Gene

Iwritecode
09-14-2006, 03:13 PM
NO MENTION AT ALL IN THIER MAGAZINES, NEWSLETTER, WEBSITES, EMAILS, ECT.....

this is all for uncle jerry and the board.....

I found this (http://chicago.comcastsportsnet.com/community.asp).

All proceeds of SoxFest go to Chicago White Sox Charities. These charities provide financial support for the fight against cancer and give Chicago’s youth the chance to become more involved in athletics.

Another one. (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/sponsorship/academy/charities.jsp)

CHICAGO WHITE SOX CHARITIES -
EVENTS & INITIATIVES
Your company can support any of the extraordinary events and programs organized by Chicago White Sox Charities each season, including the Field of Greens Golf Outing, Sleepover Night and SoxFest.

kobo
09-14-2006, 03:17 PM
HEY!
I was a vendor last year, and I can say witha clea conscience that we did not sell overpriced items.
We were LOWER than the sox on our most popular item(Topps WS set).
Gene
Sorry! Didn't mean to offend! :(:

CLR01
09-14-2006, 03:21 PM

Their site list the cheapest at $140/night. :dunno:

Fake Chet Lemon
09-14-2006, 03:24 PM
All proceeds of SoxFest go to Chicago White Sox Charities. These charities provide financial support for the fight against cancer and give Chicago’s youth the chance to become more involved in athletics.

I wonder if this includes the Hilton's cut? I think I know that answer........

CLR01
09-14-2006, 03:44 PM

I wonder if this includes the Hilton's cut? I think I know that answer........

And I doubt the Hyatt gave up any of their cut either. :rolleyes:

maurice
09-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Their site list the cheapest at $140/night. :dunno:

When checking rates, click the checkbox that (antithetically) says "Christmas in July."

Dan H
09-14-2006, 03:56 PM
You are in a very, very small minority.

I agree with this. At the Hyatt, many went to Sox Fest without staying at the hotel. Many people don't want to stay at the hotel even if they have the money. This is money grubbing period. Just because they have big crowds now doesn't mean they have to alienate fans. They are going to suck the fun out of this even they go through with this crap.

Lip Man 1
09-14-2006, 04:00 PM
Just my impression but if you want to know where the money goes why don't you ask / e-mail someone with the Sox themselves and see what they say.

Lip

CLR01
09-14-2006, 04:09 PM
When checking rates, click the checkbox that (antithetically) says "Christmas in July."

I don't see the option. Oh well.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-14-2006, 04:26 PM
Just my impression but if you want to know where the money goes why don't you ask / e-mail someone with the Sox themselves and see what they say.

Lip

everyone pretty much lies about money, or they tell half-truths anyway

salty99
09-14-2006, 04:46 PM
I asked my ticket rep if people have been complaining about the 07 Soxfest and she said no. So basically if you have a beef you have to let them know otherwise they just assume everyone is happy with the changes. I'm sure if 0 people showed up they would get the picture, but we all know that's not gonig to happen.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-14-2006, 05:50 PM
I asked my ticket rep if people have been complaining about the 07 Soxfest and she said no. So basically if you have a beef you have to let them know otherwise they just assume everyone is happy with the changes. I'm sure if 0 people showed up they would get the picture, but we all know that's not gonig to happen.

You have to give Sox fans more credit than most though, especially when you look at the North Side. This will be interesting.

And wasn't the original spirit of Soxfest to give something back to the fans? Now the spirit is "this is another revenue-profit center".

lbtigerfan
09-14-2006, 07:07 PM

It's wonderful for a two night stay, IN A HILTON, IN THE LOOP... BUT I think what some people are forgetting is the fact that if you live in Chicago, it's just stupid to have to pay for a hotel room in Chicago.

Now to everyone else who thinks it's nothing...
Sure you can get them on StubHub later... wahh wahhh... it's the point. Making people pay $250 for unnecessary reasons is just plain unnecessary. Who cares if they're a business. I'm sure they can make money just fine without doing that. Who cares if it's a marketing strategy. Who freaking cares? Seems to me like they are trying to weed out people. "Hey.. maybe it won't be slammed packed if you make people spend $250 on a hotel room PLUS an extra $75 per ticket!! Maybe... uhh... maybe the po' folk can't get in with their grimy overalls and dirty fingernails! Maybe the people that can't afford to go to games... we'll make them feel even worse because they just realized the money they saved up to go to Soxfest was a joke... YOU GOTTA BUY A HOTEL ROOM TOO! HAHA!"

I don't see the point. The White Sox and the Hilton's have more money than God and it's just rotten that they've gotten people's hopes up over something they enjoy and now realize they can't afford.

Boooooooo!

FielderJones
09-14-2006, 07:38 PM
everyone pretty much lies about money, or they tell half-truths anyway

:farmer
"When someone tells you it isn't about the money, it's about the money."

CLR01
09-14-2006, 07:46 PM
It's wonderful for a two night stay, IN A HILTON, IN THE LOOP... BUT I think what some people are forgetting is the fact that if you live in Chicago, it's just stupid to have to pay for a hotel room in Chicago.

Now to everyone else who thinks it's nothing...
Sure you can get them on StubHub later... wahh wahhh... it's the point. Making people pay $250 for unnecessary reasons is just plain unnecessary. Who cares if they're a business. I'm sure they can make money just fine without doing that. Who cares if it's a marketing strategy. Who freaking cares? Seems to me like they are trying to weed out people. "Hey.. maybe it won't be slammed packed if you make people spend $250 on a hotel room PLUS an extra $75 per ticket!! Maybe... uhh... maybe the po' folk can't get in with their grimy overalls and dirty fingernails! Maybe the people that can't afford to go to games... we'll make them feel even worse because they just realized the money they saved up to go to Soxfest was a joke... YOU GOTTA BUY A HOTEL ROOM TOO! HAHA!"

I don't see the point. The White Sox and the Hilton's have more money than God and it's just rotten that they've gotten people's hopes up over something they enjoy and now realize they can't afford.

Boooooooo!

Bull****, those poor, po' people who the Sox and Hilton are trying to squash, can buy tickets for individual days. :rolleyes:

ewokpelts
09-14-2006, 07:52 PM
Bull****, those poor, po' people who the Sox and Hilton are trying to squash, can buy tickets for individual days. :rolleyes:

IF they're available

anewman35
09-14-2006, 07:54 PM

You know, I could be way off on this, but it just occured to me that the reason the Sox are doing this might be to discourage weekend pass sales and thus get more people in. Let's say they have 15000 spots over the three days (completly random number). I'm sure the Sox would rather have 15000 different people there than the same 5000 there each day.

anewman35
09-14-2006, 07:55 PM
IF they're available

You can't go on and on about what a horrible ripoff this is and then assume that all tickets are going to sell through the ripoff offer. If they sell out with this offer, then clearly enough people thought it wasn't a ripoff.

ewokpelts
09-14-2006, 08:05 PM
You can't go on and on about what a horrible ripoff this is and then assume that all tickets are going to sell through the ripoff offer. If they sell out with this offer, then clearly enough people thought it wasn't a ripoff.it'll sell...as much as it sucks, it'll sell....and end up on stub hub

CLR01
09-14-2006, 08:08 PM
IF they're available

There is absolutely no reason to believe they won't be.

The Sox know they won't get more than a few hundred buying the hotel package and a weekend pass so unless the are fine with a crowd of >1000 daily passes will be available.

If they're not selling them they can kiss their vendors and any profits from that goodbye.

Never mind one would need to use logic to come up with that and bashing the Sox is much more fun.

CLR01
09-14-2006, 08:11 PM
it'll sell...as much as it sucks, it'll sell....and end up on stub hub

They are not going to sell 1000-2000 hotel packages. Hell the hotel only has 1640 rooms, maybe 2/3 of those are singles and doubles that would be used for the package and I bet only a portion of those are available to the Sox.

lbtigerfan
09-14-2006, 09:40 PM

No need to roll eyes... and I didn't say that anyone else's comments were bull****, so it's ugly for you to. All I'm saying is that it's stupid to have to buy a hotel room to go to an event. I know people will buy them... and there will be tons that don't. Who cares if there are individual day tickets?? The whole point I'm making is that it's dumb to have to buy a damn room to ask a player a question.

CLR01
09-14-2006, 10:07 PM
No need to roll eyes... and I didn't say that anyone else's comments were bull****, so it's ugly for you to. All I'm saying is that it's stupid to have to buy a hotel room to go to an event. I know people will buy them... and there will be tons that don't. Who cares if there are individual day tickets?? The whole point I'm making is that it's dumb to have to buy a damn room to ask a player a question.

The point is you WON'T HAVE TO buy a hotel package to ask a player a question. They will be selling daily passes that will allow you to ask the same question to the same player. You will only need to buy a hotel package to get a weekend pass good for all three days. I don't see why this is difficult to understand.

itsnotrequired
09-14-2006, 10:20 PM
http://www.simpsonspark.com/images/whitepages/jasper.jpg

"Moon Pie...what a time to be alive."

jenn2080
09-14-2006, 10:23 PM
The point is you WON'T HAVE TO buy a hotel package to ask a player a question. They will be selling daily passes that will allow you to ask the same question to the same player. You will only need to buy a hotel package to get a weekend pass good for all three days. I don't see why this is difficult to understand.

because everyone is concentrating on the hotel rather then the fact that tix will still be for sale in january.

champagne030
09-14-2006, 10:29 PM

Except with the limited space there will be less tickets available for sale on single day admissions or it will be even more of a cluster **** than last year. My problem with this thing is that demand will be the same, but the Sox reduced supply on purpose (smaller venue), thus they can mess with the price. IF, the Sox reduce ticket sales by more than the reduction in space, then people can argue that the better 'atmosphere' is worth the increase in price....Vendors and fans may or may not agree. The Sox have stated in the press release that single day admission tickets will be available on a limited basis....FWTIW. Maybe I missed something, but why did they leave the Hyatt? Just don't oversell it this year and everyone is still happy....Well, most everyone :redneck

BTW - I went to the Palmer House website and could book a room during Soxfest at $285 for Friday and Saturday night....Sox fans get a $35 discount for the two nights by getting the Soxfest package ($250).

jenn2080
09-14-2006, 10:31 PM
Except with the limited space there will be less tickets available for sale on single day admissions or it will be even more of a cluster **** than last year. My problem with this thing is that demand will be the same, but the Sox reduced supply on purpose (smaller venue), thus they can mess with the price. IF, the Sox reduce ticket sales by more than the reduction in space, then people can argue that the better 'atmosphere' is worth the increase in price....Vendors and fans may or may not agree. The Sox have stated in the press release that single day admission tickets will be available on a limited basis....FWTIW. Maybe I missed something, but why did they leave the Hyatt? Just don't oversell it this year and everyone is still happy....Well, most everyone :redneck

BTW - I went to the Palmer House website and could book a room during Soxfest at $285 for Friday and Saturday night....Sox fans get a $35 discount for the two nights by getting the Soxfest package ($250).

This contract wasnt just something they came up with after the WS. These things are scheduled years in advance. So I am sure this was in the works before 2005. There is no way with an event that size that they just up and decided to **** everyone and move it to a smaller venue. They way they are doing it this year is now to control supply and demand as far as tickets are concerned

Lillian
09-14-2006, 10:44 PM
I have no complaint regarding the increased cost of a ticket to attend Soxfest. If they can sell them, more power to them, and the money does go for charity. My beef is the requirement to buy an expensive hotel room, whether you need one, or not. What does patronizing the Hilton Hotel chain
have to do with supporting the White Sox? It's Soxfest, not "Hiltonfest"!

It only seems fair to recognize the loyalty of Sox fans, by giving preference on some basis related to how much support the respective fan has given the Sox. Selling the packages to a season ticket holder would be a reasonable policy. Giving preference to those who support the Hilton Hotel chain makes no sense to me.

I wrote my customer rep, and received a nice reply, with an assurance that my voice would be heard. Please write the management, if you are unhappy.

champagne030
09-14-2006, 10:45 PM
This contract wasnt just something they came up with after the WS. These things are scheduled years in advance. So I am sure this was in the works before 2005. There is no way with an event that size that they just up and decided to **** everyone and move it to a smaller venue. They way they are doing it this year is now to control supply and demand as far as tickets are concerned

That's my point. They jacked up the price by reducing supply. Now, if they reduce supply to make the Soxfest a better experience then maybe they can justify the increase in price. IMO, they will not reduce tickets by more than the reduction in space....It will still be as overcrowded (as concerned with space) as last year. Why not keep the same prices, but just limit the supply? I know, the Sox want to raise more money for Sox Charities...

CLR01
09-14-2006, 10:48 PM

There would be a limited number of tickets even if the WP's were made available to everyone.

If you want to complain about the price or the change in venue fine but that is not what this thread has been about. Everyone is upset that the WP's are reserved for guests of the hotel only.

Yes they did say that there would be a limited amount of individual tickets will be available but that number can be anywhere from a couple thousand to 8,000 plus. It all depends on what the Hilton can hold and how many tickets the Sox want to sell. If they decided 10,000 is the number (half of last year) they could sell out every room in the hotel with each buying the 4 wp's and still have 3,500 tickets left over. Of course not all of the 1600 rooms will be booked for soxfest and not all of the soxfest rooms will buy the max number of tickets so that number will probably be unknown until winter when hotel sales have slowed considerably.

JohnBasedowYoda
09-14-2006, 11:01 PM
Terrible...

money grubbing whores...

amen. I'll be at the bar though, overpaying for booze. Or sneaking some in

chisoxmike
09-15-2006, 12:07 AM
Per white sox.com

A limited number of individual-day passes will be made available for sale to the general public in January 2007.

Only weekend passes will be available for purchase at this time. The only way to obtain weekend passes is to purchase a two-night stay at the Palmer House Hilton. The hotel's special SoxFest rate for a two-night stay is $249, plus applicable tax (fans will be limited to two (2) rooms per reservation name). There is an additional charge of $25 per person in rooms with more than four (4) adults or a total of five (5) people.

One-night SoxFest hotel packages are not available at this time. Depending on the sale of the two-night hotel packages, we may or may not make one-night packages available at a future date.

Read more if it won't make your blood boil...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/community/soxfest.jsp?partnerId=2006hp_towerunder_cws_sxf&affiliateID=2006hp_towerunder_cws_sxf

Iwritecode
09-15-2006, 12:17 AM

Oh goody. They are asking us where we'd like to be punched. The face or the gut...

If you have 4 people you get to either spend $550+ for the hotel stay and weekend passes OR you get to try (I'm guessing it's going to be near impossible) and get individual tickets for each day. Just a wild shot in the dark, lets say the individual passes for each day cost $40 each. Multiply that by 12 and that's $480 for 4 people! What a choice. :(:

Last year you could've gotten 4 people in for around $300 with the hotel stay. $120 for just the weekend passes. $200 if each day was bought indiviually.

MUsoxfan
09-15-2006, 12:27 AM
Oh goody. They are asking us where we'd like to be punched. The face or the gut...

If you have 4 people you get to either spend $550+ for the hotel stay and weekend passes OR you get to try (I'm guessing it's going to be near impossible) and get individual tickets for each day. Just a wild shot in the dark, lets say the individual passes for each day cost $80 each. Multiply that by 12 and that's $960 for 4 people!

What a choice... :(:

The White Sox offer nothing worth $75/ticket. For $75/ticket there had better be a dinner and an open bar. It's disgusting. People that defend the cost of Soxfest clearly have too much disposable income. Let's do the math.....$250 hotel room. People want to bring a family (4 weekend passes @ $75/each) and that would be $600 for the weekend. So if I live on the outskirts of Chicago and want a weekend pass....I have to spend $250 to stay in the city of Chicago PLUS $75 each for each weekend pass.

Listen...it's not that I can't afford to stay at the Hilton, because I can. However there's a difference between being able to afford something and throwing your money in the toilet...which is what the Sox suggest you do

CLR01
09-15-2006, 12:33 AM

If you have 4 people you get to either spend $550+ for the hotel stay and weekend passes OR you get to try (I'm guessing it's going to be near impossible) and get individual tickets for each day. Just a wild shot in the dark, lets say the individual passes for each day cost $80 each. Multiply that by 12 and that's $960 for 4 people!

What a choice... :(:

They may very well be but why would the daily tickets cost more than a weekend pass? I'm sure they will be priced so that buying three days will cost more than the $75 but probably more along the lines of $30-35 (which would be inline with the price increase of the WP).

I don't know, I may be wrong but I just don't think they will be that hard to get. Not everyone will get them but they won't sell out in 10 minutes like playoff tickets.

From Scott Reifert's blog:

Individual-day passes will go on sale at a later date. By doing this we are trying to manage attendance (those of you who attended last year know what I mean about the crowds), move the event to a new venue and yet allow as many Sox fans as possible to attend at some point during the weekend.

It seems to me they are doing it to try and limit the number of weekend passes sold so that a larger number of people will be able to attend, just like someone mentioned above.

Good for them.

MUsoxfan
09-15-2006, 12:36 AM
From Scott Reifert's blog:

Long story, short......

They're trying to price people out of the event. Champions again, White Sox

CLR01
09-15-2006, 12:39 AM
Long story, short......

They're trying to price people out of the event. Champions again, White Sox

Bastards, how dare they try and get as many new faces in the door as possible.

If you don''t like it don't go, quit bitching.

MUsoxfan
09-15-2006, 12:44 AM
Bastards, how dare they try and get as many new faces in the door as possible.

If you don''t like it don't go, quit bitching.

Okay, I won't go. That wasn't the debate, as I was never planning on paying their hijacked rate.

It sucks for families with little kids that love this event and have been priced out of it because of greed.

CLR01
09-15-2006, 12:50 AM
Okay, I won't go. That wasn't the debate, as I was never planning on paying their hijacked rate.

It sucks for families with little kids that love this event and have been priced out of it because of greed.

They can buy 4 daily passes, they will be sold. So poor little Bobby Jr will only be able to get a few autographs and Bob Sr. will only get to ask his lame question once but that's life and it's better than nothing.

They can always do it like last year again and let everyone and their mother in each day. Oh people bitch about that too.

MUsoxfan
09-15-2006, 12:51 AM
They can buy 4 daily passes, they will be sold. So poor little Bobby Jr will only be able to get a few autographs and Bob Sr. will only get to ask his lame question once but that's life and it's better than nothing.

Wow. JR, is that you?

CLR01
09-15-2006, 12:54 AM
Wow. JR, is that you?

Back to your bitching. Look out for the man, he's out to get you.

ilsox7
09-15-2006, 12:58 AM
Oh people bitch about that too.

People bitch about everything, sadly.

This seems like such a non-issue. Basically, the Sox are saying that anyone who wants to go to ALL 3 days of Soxfest can do so via two options:

1. Buy a day pass for Friday, one for Saturday, and one for Sunday. Total cost probably around $100.

2. It's a good assumption that a lot of people who want to go all three days may also want to spend the weekend downtown. So they get a small hotel discount and a discounted price on the Soxfest passes.

So, you can either go to every day of Soxfest for the regular price of around $100 or, if you want to stay in the city, you can save money on the passes. Seems fair to me.

MUsoxfan
09-15-2006, 01:02 AM

Back to your bitching. Look out for the man, he's out to get you.

I don't bitch much. Whenever there's a bill I'm the one to say "Oh well, whatever it is, it is." I'm drawing the line at this though. What was once a way to give back to the fans is now a way to get back from the fans. The whole purpose of this event has gone right down the ****ter.

"Due to the change to a new venue, the expected demand for SoxFest '07 tickets..."

That was from my ticket rep. So long story short, they don't give a **** about '06 season ticket holders because they're not needed....'07 holders have gone and made them expendable.

Chips
09-15-2006, 01:04 AM
People bitch about everything, sadly.

This seems like such a non-issue. Basically, the Sox are saying that anyone who wants to go to ALL 3 days of Soxfest can do so via two options:

1. Buy a day pass for Friday, one for Saturday, and one for Sunday. Total cost probably around $100.

2. It's a good assumption that a lot of people who want to go all three days may also want to spend the weekend downtown. So they get a small hotel discount and a discounted price on the Soxfest passes.

So, you can either go to every day of Soxfest for the regular price of around $100 or, if you want to stay in the city, you can save money on the passes. Seems fair to me.

Seems fair to me as well. I think I'm going to get the room and the four passes. I really don't want to go to SoxFest all three days again, but I'll have a good time hanging out afterwards, etc. I don't think it will be all that hard to sell the excess tickets.

ilsox7
09-15-2006, 01:16 AM
Seems fair to me as well. I think I'm going to get the room and the four passes. I really don't want to go to SoxFest all three days again, but I'll have a good time hanging out afterwards, etc. I don't think it will be all that hard to sell the excess tickets.

By the looks of this thread, people will be lining up at your door to buy those passes from you. I haven't been to a Soxfest since the very first one and probably will not go to one any time soon. However, from what I gathered last year, people had two main issues with the event in 2006:

1. WAY too many people in WAY too small of a space.

2. Lines for authographs WAY too long and crowds for seminars WAY too big.

Now, if the Sox moved the event to a huge venue, you'd remedy problem one above. However, that would do nothing to help with the lines for autographs and the lack of personal touch for the seminars. In fact, the lines would be longer and the seminars less personal b/c capacity would be higher.

Instead, the Sox have chosen to go to a smaller venue, thus limiting tickets in the hope that space won't be as bad of a problem, but also ensuring that lines for autographs won't be as long and the seminars will be more personal. Decreasing capacity leads to shorter lines, more space, and more personal seminars. And it's basic economics that when you decrease supply, prices increase.

The only possible way the Sox could move to a larger venue, thus increasing capacity AND also decreasing autograph lines and making seminars more personal would be to get triple the amount of player committments for autographs and seminars. Seeing as though it is probably a big enough struggle to get the players up here for a weekend in January as is, I doubt increasing the time they have to spend "working" will make it more attractive.

BainesHOF
09-15-2006, 01:20 AM
What was once a way to give back to the fans is now a way to get back from the fans. The whole purpose of this event has gone right down the ****ter.

Exactly.

Soxfest has always been an event for the club to build good will with its fans. Now apparently it's just another way to soak the fans for as much money as possible. It's too bad the club is looking at the bond with its fans so cynically.

Chips
09-15-2006, 01:21 AM
By the looks of this thread, people will be lining up at your door to buy those passes from you. I haven't been to a Soxfest since the very first one and probably will not go to one any time soon. However, from what I gathered last year, people had two main issues with the event in 2006:

That's why I'm probably only going to one day. I'll just be hanging out the rest of the weekend.

2006 SoxFest was way too crowded, the best times were had in the hotel bar and club after the fest.

MUsoxfan
09-15-2006, 01:24 AM
That's why I'm probably only going to one day. I'll just be hanging out the rest of the weekend.

2006 SoxFest was way too crowded, the best times were had in the hotel bar and club after the fest.

Although the highlight of last year's Soxfest were the drunks, $350 to see a hammered Chuck Garfiend doesn't enter into my Soxfest equation:tongue:

CLR01
09-15-2006, 01:26 AM
I don't bitch much. Whenever there's a bill I'm the one to say "Oh well, whatever it is, it is." I'm drawing the line at this though. What was once a way to give back to the fans is now a way to get back from the fans. The whole purpose of this event has gone right down the ****ter.

"Due to the change to a new venue, the expected demand for SoxFest '07 tickets..."

That was from my ticket rep. So long story short, they don't give a **** about '06 season ticket holders because they're not needed....'07 holders have gone and made them expendable.

It being about the fans shouldn't the Sox do everything they can to get as many different fans through the door? I don't see what being a ST holder has to do with it. Don't they already have special events for ST holders? Why should the people who can't afford too pay for season tickets have to take a back seat to the ST holders at Soxfest too?

What they should do is get rid of the weekend passes altogether and make everyone buy day tickets through ticketmaster or the box office. Of course that will never happen because the hotels needs something to encourage people to stay there.

MUsoxfan
09-15-2006, 01:28 AM
It being about the fans shouldn't the Sox do everything they can to get as many different fans through the door? I don't see what being a ST holder has to do with it. Don't they already have special events for ST holders? Why should the people who can't afford too pay for season tickets have to take a back seat to the ST holders at Soxfest too?

What they should do is get rid of the weekend passes altogether and make everyone buy them through ticketmaster or the box office. Of course that will never happen because the hotels needs something to encourage people to stay there.

I'll tell you why. Season ticket holders commit thousands of dollars towards White Sox baseball. Why shouldn't they get free tickets to an offseason event?

ilsox7
09-15-2006, 01:33 AM
I'll tell you why. Season ticket holders commit thousands of dollars towards White Sox baseball. Why shouldn't they get free tickets to an offseason event?

For the same reason that season ticket holders do not get free playoff tickets. There is a substantial demand for playoff tickets just as is there is for Soxfest tickets. The bottom line is that this is a business. And apparently a lot of the Soxfest money goes to charity. Beyond that, from what I read here, the Sox do a heck of a lot for their season ticket holders already. I've read about special, free parties at the park. Gifts in the mail. And a program to exchange unused tickets. Seems like a lot of perks to me.

CLR01
09-15-2006, 01:38 AM

Well, like you said, Soxfest is about the fans and ST holders represent only a fraction of Sox fans.

ST holders already get first crack and discounts at individual game tickets/playoff tickets, parking, etc..., as well as other events during the season/off season. And IIRC ST holders never received free tickets anyway.

MUsoxfan
09-15-2006, 01:43 AM
For the same reason that season ticket holders do not get free playoff tickets. There is a substantial demand for playoff tickets just as is there is for Soxfest tickets. The bottom line is that this is a business. And apparently a lot of the Soxfest money goes to charity. Beyond that, from what I read here, the Sox do a heck of a lot for their season ticket holders already. I've read about special, free parties at the park. Gifts in the mail. And a program to exchange unused tickets. Seems like a lot of perks to me.

We're talking apples and oranges. Playoff tickets are one thing (which are not given out) and tickets to a fanfest (which should be given out). I'm not a full season ticket holder and hence do not expect all the bells and whistles. People that buy full season or half season packages should be given these tickets without question. It just calls into question how much the Sox value the season ticket holders they were seemingly coveting before last yaer

MUsoxfan
09-15-2006, 01:45 AM
[quote=CLR01;1347811And IIRC ST holders never received free tickets anyway.[/quote]

Exactly. Let them have free Soxfest tickets. It's would be a nice thing to do for such a monetary commitment

ilsox7
09-15-2006, 01:51 AM
We're talking apples and oranges. Playoff tickets are one thing (which are not given out) and tickets to a fanfest (which should be given out). I'm not a full season ticket holder and hence do not expect all the bells and whistles. People that buy full season or half season packages should be given these tickets without question. It just calls into question how much the Sox value the season ticket holders they were seemingly coveting before last yaer

How is it apples and oranges? Both are events that are obviously in demand. If every season ticket holder (over 20,000 people) got free Soxfest tickets, would there even be room to sell additional tickets? It would essentially be turned into another season ticket holder party. And that is clearly not the goal and purpose of Soxfest.

MUsoxfan
09-15-2006, 01:56 AM
How is it apples and oranges? Both are events that are obviously in demand. If every season ticket holder (over 20,000 people) got free Soxfest tickets, would there even be room to sell additional tickets? It would essentially be turned into another season ticket holder party. And that is clearly not the goal and purpose of Soxfest.

Not every season ticket holder would go, while other people that committed thousands of dollars to the Sox would be able to go.

Forcing Chicagoans to pay for a hotel in Chicago should not be the goal either

ilsox7
09-15-2006, 01:58 AM
Not every season ticket holder would go, while other people that committed thousands of dollars to the Sox would be able to go.

Forcing Chicagoans to pay for a hotel in Chicago should not be the goal either

But if you send out over 20,000 tickets, you cannot possibly then sell 10,000 more, b/c if you do not forecast attendance properly, it will be a disaster.

As for "forcing" people to buy a hotel room, I do not see how people possibly can come to that conclusion. No one is forcing anyone to buy a hotel room. By all accounts, they are not saying, "You must buy the hotel room to go to Soxfest." All they are saying is that IF you buy a hotel room, you get a discount on the Soxfest ticket. What's so wrong with that?

MUsoxfan
09-15-2006, 02:07 AM
But if you send out over 20,000 tickets, you cannot possibly then sell 10,000 more, b/c if you do not forecast attendance properly, it will be a disaster.

As for "forcing" people to buy a hotel room, I do not see how people possibly can come to that conclusion. No one is forcing anyone to buy a hotel room. By all accounts, they are not saying, "You must buy the hotel room to go to Soxfest." All they are saying is that IF you buy a hotel room, you get a discount on the Soxfest ticket. What's so wrong with that?

The only way for fans to acquire a SoxFest Weekend Pass is by
purchasing a two-night stay at the Palmer House Hilton. The hotel's special
rate for a two-night stay is $249. Fans purchasing a two-night stay at
the SoxFest rate will have the ability to purchase up to four weekend
passes for $75 each. As someone brought up previously, that's almost 50% more than staying at the Hilton even a week before the event. Soxfest is no longer a gift to the fans, it's a gift FROM the fans.

With the Hyatt rate, the Soxfest tickets were a throw-in. Now Sox fans are raped with the hotel and raped with the actual Soxfest tickets. Thank you very little, White Sox

ilsox7
09-15-2006, 02:10 AM
As someone brought up previously, that's almost 50% more than staying at the Hilton even a week before the event. Soxfest is no longer a gift to the fans, it's a gift FROM the fans.

With the Hyatt rate, the Soxfest tickets were a throw-in. Now Sox fans are raped with the hotel and raped with the actual Soxfest tickets. Thank you very little, White Sox

So instead of a weekend pass, you buy 3 seperate day passes for around $100. No hotel necessary. As for the hotel rate: again, the event is in great demand. Should they not raise ticket prices for playoff games b/c it's wrong to take more money from fans when there is a much greater demand?

MUsoxfan
09-15-2006, 02:14 AM
So instead of a weekend pass, you buy 3 seperate day passes for around $100. No hotel necessary.

Fine. But the old saying is that you take care of people that take care of you. The Sox are taking people that take care of them. My interpretation of the email was "Well, your contribution was nice but we have many people willing to take your spot as a season ticket holder."

ilsox7
09-15-2006, 02:19 AM
Fine. But the old saying is that you take care of people that take care of you. The Sox are taking people that take care of them. My interpretation of the email was "Well, your contribution was nice but we have many people willing to take your spot as a season ticket holder."

I guess I look at it differently. Season ticket holders obviously have the money to buy tickets to many, if not all, of the games. They get to see the Sox close up on a regular basis. They get many, many perks from their purchase (going on the field, parties, gifts, give-aways, etc). Adding Soxfest to that list of perks would go a long way to taking away the ability for someone who cannot afford season tickets (either cash or time) from going to an event to see the players up close.

Allowing access to the general public is a strategy that will make the organization available to more fans. Now if the Sox had completely ignored season ticket holders and their contribution all season, then I think you'd have a valid point. But it's clear the Sox go above and beyond in many ways for their fanbase.

MUsoxfan
09-15-2006, 02:27 AM
I guess I look at it differently. Season ticket holders obviously have the money to buy tickets to many, if not all, of the games. They get to see the Sox close up on a regular basis. They get many, many perks from their purchase (going on the field, parties, gifts, give-aways, etc). Adding Soxfest to that list of perks would go a long way to taking away the ability for someone who cannot afford season tickets (either cash or time) from going to an event to see the players up close.

Allowing access to the general public is a strategy that will make the organization available to more fans. Now if the Sox had completely ignored season ticket holders and their contribution all season, then I think you'd have a valid point. But it's clear the Sox go above and beyond in many ways for their fanbase.

Okay...

So $250 for the hotel +

4 tickets for a family @ $75

= $600

For people you assume don't have the money to support them.

The fact of the matter is that the Sox took something that was in the highest demand ever and moved it to a smaller venue where they're making people pay out of their ass for something that was never intended to be a profit machine. I don't find any good reason why it should be done the way it was.

CLR01
09-15-2006, 02:29 AM
As someone brought up previously, that's almost 50% more than staying at the Hilton even a week before the event. Soxfest is no longer a gift to the fans, it's a gift FROM the fans.

$249 for two nights (or $125/night) is not 50% more than other nights. The lowest room found on the Hilton site for the previous weekend is $140/night (supposedly $100 with a Christmas in July special but I can't find it through their site and it's September :dunno:) and don't even bother to bring up priceline or any other discount site. That's $10 more than the Hyatt last year, yes passes were included though.

ilsox7
09-15-2006, 02:31 AM
Okay...

So $250 for the hotel +

= $600

The fact of the matter is that the Sox took something that was in the highest demand ever and moved it to a smaller venue where they're making people pay out of their ass for something that was never intended to be a profit machine. I don't find any good reason why it should be done the way it was.

Why do you keep factoring in a hotel room? It's been made clear they will offer single day passes at a later date. So if they are priced at $35, I could take a family of 4 for a full day to Soxfest for $140. Less than 25% of your quoted rate.

MUsoxfan
09-15-2006, 02:32 AM
$249 for two nights (or $125/night) is not 50% more than other nights. The lowest room found on the Hilton site for the previous weekend is $140/night

What a discount!!! Anybody that doesn't stay there is a dope

MUsoxfan
09-15-2006, 02:33 AM
Why do you keep factoring in a hotel room? It's been made clear they will offer single day passes at a later date. So if they are priced at $35, I could take a family of 4 for a full day to Soxfest for $140. Less than 25% of your quoted rate.

Because the White Sox made it clear to me TODAY that the ONLY way to get a weekend pass was to buy the hotel package

ilsox7
09-15-2006, 02:34 AM
What a discount!!! Anybody that doesn't stay there is a dope

I think CLR's point was that the rate for the two nights of Soxfest is actually less than the previous weekend's rates, whereas you were saying it was 50% MORE.

MUsoxfan
09-15-2006, 02:35 AM
I think CLR's point was that the rate for the two nights of Soxfest is actually less than the previous weekend's rates, whereas you were saying it was 50% MORE.

I saw a previous quote of $99/night, and I'll do the poster a favor saying it wasn't pulled out of thin air

ilsox7
09-15-2006, 02:36 AM
Because the White Sox made it clear to me TODAY that the ONLY way to get a weekend pass was to buy the hotel package

Just like they made it clear in a press release that they will offer day passes? And that you can buy a day pass for each of the 3 days of Soxfest? If they were not going to offer day passes, I could see your point. But they are not saying that only people who buy a hotel room will have the ability to get Soxfest tickets. The press release makes that clear.

MUsoxfan
09-15-2006, 02:39 AM
Just like they made it clear in a press release that they will offer day passes? And that you can buy a day pass for each of the 3 days of Soxfest? If they were not going to offer day passes, I could see your point. But they are not saying that only people who buy a hotel room will have the ability to get Soxfest tickets. The press release makes that clear.

How much are the day passes?

CLR01
09-15-2006, 02:41 AM

How are they telling you "Well, your contribution was nice but we have many people willing to take your spot as a season ticket holder"? IF they were saying that you need to buy ths hotel package or your tickets forfieted and given to someone who will you may have a point buit they are not.

Okay...

So $250 for the hotel +

= $600

The family of four doesn't need to buy the hotel and weekend pass. When the individual tickets go on sale they can try to buy for as many days as they want. If they get them for one day the drive there and back, two or three days they can go on priceline or hotels.com and book a room much cheaper somewhere else. Weekend passes will not be the only ticket to get in and you are not required to stay at the Hilton.

They switched venues because apparently the Hyatt wasn't meeting the Sox expectations, not to rip people off. As other people have already said this was in the works long before the Sox won the world series and Soxfest became the thing to do.

ilsox7
09-15-2006, 02:43 AM
How much are the day passes?

That number apparently hasn't been released yet. Speculation seems to indicate around $35 a day would make sense. Now if they come out and charge $100 a day, then I think you have a point. But given that a weekend pass is being sold to those making room reservations for $75, I think $35 is a good estimate. But the jury is still out on that.

Bottom line is I would be shocked if you do not have the opportunity to attend all 3 days of Soxfest for $100. Whether it be purchasing single day passes for each day or finding some on WSI selling an extra pass or two for face value or someone auctioning their $75 passes off for $20 over face.

CLR01
09-15-2006, 02:59 AM
I saw a previous quote of $99/night, and I'll do the poster a favor saying it wasn't pulled out of thin air

That's only 25% higher over their lowest discount someone could find and not 50%. The Soxfest rate is still lower than their normal rate and I am guessing they don't offer these special discounts to large groups.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-15-2006, 03:03 AM
I can't believe one of the worst threads ever will soon reach 200 posts.

It is SoxFest people. It is not the World Series. Heck it isn't even an exhibition game.

It is a charity event where people stand in massive lines just to get in for the privilege to stand in more lines to hear some speeches or get a few autographs.

The more people they allow to attend, the less access people will have so it will always be expensive - just like playoff tickets or opening day tickets or Cubs, Red Cubs or Yankee tickets.

There were mega threads complaining about every aspect of SoxFest last year and it sounds like it will be worse this year (smaller venue) which is why I don't understand why anyone other than autograph collectors / sellers would want to go through all the hassle.:dunno:

CLR01
09-15-2006, 03:11 AM
There were mega threads complaining about every aspect of SoxFest last year and it sounds like it will be worse this year (smaller venue) which is why I don't understand why anyone other than autograph collectors / sellers would want to go through all the hassle.:dunno:

That's another thing the Sox should do, limit the autographs to children only. To make it easy if you are old enough to drive you're too old for autographs.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-15-2006, 03:40 AM
That's another thing the Sox should do, limit the autographs to children only. To make it easy if you are old enough to drive you're too old for autographs.

Well I don't know about that if people are paying $75 for the privilege to attend. I do think having a few "kids only" autograph sessions in addition to the regular ones would be a good idea.

I know many people like to attend this and I understand how people who cannot afford to go would be frustrated but from what happened last year, it seems to me the problem was too many people and the only way to limit the number the people is to either have some sort of Willy Wonka lottery (which people will bitch about) or increase the price (which goes to charity BTW). They are still offering the general public the chance to purchase the package (in September) or individual tickets in January.

My beef with the thread is people posting that the White Sox are "screwing people" and other comments which have no basis in reality ($125 / night rooms downtown are too expensive, Reinsdorf is a shyster, Paris Hilton is going to get rich, etc.).

The White Sox surely will get a discount if not the convention space for free (allowing more proceeds to reach charity) through this deal. I am not a Reinsdorf apologist by any means and in fact stayed away from Comiskey for most of the nineties (after regularly attending in the late 1970s through 1990) due to the move and then the strike but the criticism here for this event is over the top, IMHO.

The room (say $320 w/ taxes (including taxes to pay for US Cellular LOL), tips for the maid, etc.) and weekend pass ($300 for four) works out to $155 / person for the entire weekend which is probably not much more than if you bought a ticket for one day from a scalper. You get two nights (can drink downtown, in your room vs. $8 - $10 drinks in the hotel bar) on top of it. Calling this a "screw job" is an overreaction.

StockdaleForVeep
09-15-2006, 05:55 AM
I say bunch of people get in on the room and get the passes, split it as much as possib

Then have an all out kegger and trash a pricey room

voodoochile
09-15-2006, 05:59 AM
I say bunch of people get in on the room and get the passes, split it as much as possib

Then have an all out kegger and trash a pricey room

There are limits to how many people can stay in a room. There are surcharges to add extra people to the room. There is a credit card required to get a room (and they will charge it if you trash the place).

They won't allow you to bring a keg into the hotel. In fact many hotels won't allow you to bring in your own booze at all, so don't expect to waltz right by security carrying several cases of beer.

DumpJerry
09-15-2006, 07:02 AM
Calling this a "screw job" is an overreaction.
When you live in the same or adjacent county to the event and can take the el or Metra for less than ten bucks, it's a screwjob.

Drinking alcohol is not required, especially for 8 year olds.

Steelrod
09-15-2006, 07:02 AM

Silver Spoon, Brooklyn?
Not to defend management, but does anybody expect Hilton to host Soxfest and not have tickets for those who stay there? If my numbers are right, there are more season ticket holders than Soxfest tickets. Would it be better to limit attendance to season ticketholders and deny the public a chance. It's called marketing. There is no fair way. I guess I AM defending management. BTW, the hotel rate is excellent and if I were to go to Soxfest (never do) the package is reasonably priced.
People complained about crowds last year, but of course don't want to be part of the ones that are eliminated. Can't win either way!

Steelrod
09-15-2006, 07:26 AM
One last point. The fairest way to have done this is NO packages and limit each person to one day. This way you have the potential for 3 times as many people enjoying the experience.
If they did that, this board would probably set a record for most comments.
Everyone on this board would like large access to cheap tickets, with no crowds. It's just not realistic. Any way they go, large numbers would be pissed off as the arrangement won't fit their desires.
I'm done.

MUsoxfan
09-15-2006, 07:33 AM
One last point. The fairest way to have done this is NO packages and limit each person to one day. This way you have the potential for 3 times as many people enjoying the experience.
If they did that, this board would probably set a record for most comments.
Everyone on this board would like large access to cheap tickets, with no crowds. It's just not realistic. Any way they go, large numbers would be pissed off as the arrangement won't fit their desires.
I'm done.

I don't really care how much they charge for the actual event because it goes to charity. My gripe is MAKING Chicagoans stay at a hotel IN Chicago if they want the weekend pass. As I've said before...I'm far from being cheap with my money, I'm just not stupid with my money. Fine, limit people to one day each. If they did that there would be zero need to pay to sleep in a bed that's just as comfortable as one four blocks away.

jenn2080
09-15-2006, 08:01 AM
I don't really care how much they charge for the actual event because it goes to charity. My gripe is MAKING Chicagoans stay at a hotel IN Chicago if they want the weekend pass. As I've said before...I'm far from being cheap with my money, I'm just not stupid with my money. Fine, limit people to one day each. If they did that there would be zero need to pay to sleep in a bed that's just as comfortable as one four blocks away.

:deadhorse:

They arent making anyone get the hotel. No one is forcing anyone to get it, that is your choice.

Jaffar
09-15-2006, 08:11 AM
Well I don't know about that if people are paying $75 for the privilege to attend. I do think having a few "kids only" autograph sessions in addition to the regular ones would be a good idea.

They have a kids area that players stop by and sign all the time. They only sign for kids in this area and most of the players stop by several times, they did last year at least. My friends son got all the auto's I wasn't willing to wait in line for.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-15-2006, 09:15 AM
When you live in the same or adjacent county to the event and can take the el or Metra for less than ten bucks, it's a screwjob.

Drinking alcohol is not required, especially for 8 year olds.

Sorry Dump, but I call it an "excellent business model :wink: " to prevent the fiasco which happened last year - an oversold event with a majority of the attendees spending most of their time in a huge line. The White Sox get use of the facility free of charge (or at a huge discount) with the proceeds of SoxFest going to charity. (not the money grubbing Reinsdorf as several rational posters have pointed out)

This is a charity event. I would rather go to Europe than attend a baseball "fantasy camp". I would rather go to Vegas than SoxFest but that is my decision. Personally, if I had a family and didn't want to spend the $320 for a hotel room I'd use the cash for tickets next year or perhaps jerseys for the kids and some other treat.

The White Sox offer plenty of free events with players showing up for autographs. They also offer several Sunday games where you can take your kids for $1 and they can run the bases and meet players afterwards. Families can also purchase a day ticket in January for $30 or so (although they will not have 200,000 available further screwing the White Sox fans).

Nobody is saying drinking alcohol is required.

Prices for all sporting related activities will continue to rise and people need to deal with this fact. I can't go to the bleachers in Wrigley for $1.50 (nor can I purchase the tickets day of game). I can't buy $6 playoff tickets from the White Sox (which I did in 1983). Supply is limited and demand keeps increasing.

I predict the under / over on posts bitching about SoxFest reaches 1,500 in several threads by the time the doors are closed to this event. Looking forward to it.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-15-2006, 09:26 AM
Lots of talk about the "great hotel rate".

It's great only if you normally love spending a weekend downtown when it's 10 degrees out. For most of us, we'd prefer to spend a weekend downtown (especially those of us with young kids) when the temperatures are above freezing.

jenn2080
09-15-2006, 09:34 AM
Lots of talk about the "great hotel rate".

It's great only if you normally love spending a weekend downtown when it's 10 degrees out. For most of us, we'd prefer to spend a weekend downtown (especially those of us with young kids) when the temperatures are above freezing.

:whistle: :violin:

this is chicago. cold temps are a fact. im not sure what you are really complaining about here. if you didnt get a hotel you would still be spending a weekend downtown if in fact you decided to get tix for all 3 days. either go or dont go. dude if you want when i get my hotel ill sell ya 2 tix out of mine if that will make you stop nit picking at everything.

champagne030
09-15-2006, 09:45 AM
:deadhorse:

They arent making anyone get the hotel. No one is forcing anyone to get it, that is your choice.

Thinking that you'll be able to purchase individual tickets for all 3 days is the same as going to 7-11 to get a Big Gulp is.....

http://www.a3.com/dfi/avestruz.gif

Fake Chet Lemon
09-15-2006, 09:49 AM

this is chicago. cold temps are a fact. im not sure what you are really complaining about here. if you didnt get a hotel you would still be spending a weekend downtown if in fact you decided to get tix for all 3 days. either go or dont go. dude if you want when i get my hotel ill sell ya 2 tix out of mine if that will make you stop nit picking at everything.

I always go to one day of Soxfest and take the Metra in.

I've got a family, I can't justify spending $400 on SoxFest and blowing an entire weekend away from the kids.

The Sox changed the setup, I don't like it and I've logged a complaint here. Why is that such a big deal here to so many?!!!!!!! I didn't realize we had so many Sox employees, or relatives of Sox employees on this site I guess.

jenn2080
09-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Thinking that you'll be able to purchase individual tickets for all 3 days is the same as going to 7-11 to get a Big Gulp is.....

http://www.a3.com/dfi/avestruz.gif

all you can do is try. complaining about it for 10+ pages isnt going to change anything. no matter how you say it or how many times you say it the fact still remains hotel or no hotel. it is your choice. i will be going in on a hotel with 4 people which a 140 bucks for a weekend at a hotel on state street in the city of chicago and sox mania is not that bad.

Iwritecode
09-15-2006, 09:55 AM
They may very well be but why would the daily tickets cost more than a weekend pass? I'm sure they will be priced so that buying three days will cost more than the $75 but probably more along the lines of $30-35 (which would be inline with the price increase of the WP).

They've always made it so that buying the weekend pass is the better deal. Last year weekend passes were $40, and daily tickets were $15 for Friday, $20 for Saturday and $15 for Sunday.

Since they nearly doubled the cost of the weekend passes, I figure $30 for Friday and Sunday and $40 for Saturday is probably pretty close. That's a $100 a person with no hotel. Compare that to last year when you could get the passes and hotel stay for just $100 more...

spiffie
09-15-2006, 09:56 AM
Sorry Dump, but I call it an "excellent business model :wink: " to prevent the fiasco which happened last year - an oversold event with a majority of the attendees spending most of their time in a huge line.
What exactly have they done thus far that would make it unlikely to have an oversold event? Especially considering that the Palmer House is a smaller venue than the Hyatt. I've seen nothing saying that there will be a smaller cap on single day passes or anything of the sort, merely the statement that only hotel guests can order weekend passes. There's no reason that they can't or won't sell a large number of single day passes causing an equal amount of congestion as they had last year, as even a 20% cut in attendance may be counteracted by the change in venue. Did I miss something where this was addressed by the organization, or are we just assuming this because we want to find a positive spin to the whole thing?

Iwritecode
09-15-2006, 09:58 AM
What exactly have they done thus far that would make it unlikely to have an oversold event? Especially considering that the Palmer House is a smaller venue than the Hyatt. I've seen nothing saying that there will be a smaller cap on single day passes or anything of the sort, merely the statement that only hotel guests can order weekend passes. There's no reason that they can't or won't sell a large number of single day passes causing an equal amount of congestion as they had last year, as even a 20% cut in attendance may be counteracted by the change in venue. Did I miss something where this was addressed by the organization, or are we just assuming this because we want to find a positive spin to the whole thing?

I think the fact that it's the Sox in charge of selling all the weekend passes rather than the hotel will make a difference.

I think this thread deserves this...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/winningugly/showerhead.GIF

Fake Chet Lemon
09-15-2006, 10:29 AM
I can't believe one of the worst threads ever will soon reach 200 posts.

:tomatoaward :tomatoaward

CLR01
09-15-2006, 12:52 PM

this is chicago. cold temps are a fact. im not sure what you are really complaining about here. if you didnt get a hotel you would still be spending a weekend downtown if in fact you decided to get tix for all 3 days.

I'm pretty sure that buying a weekend pass would guarantee temps above 50 for the weekend.

I guess nobody will really know until we have figures on how many wp's and daily passes were sold. IMO I think they may be going for a 50% cut in attendance to get the numbers back around 10,000+/-. Increasing the price of wp's and making a hotel stay a requirement will definitely drive demand down for those.

If you sell 3,000 weekend passes how many of those 3,000 can you expect to show up on any given day and how long will they stay? If they have a limit of 4,000 people a day do they only sell 1,000 individual tickets and assume all 3,000 weekend guest will show up or do they sell 2,000 daily passes and hope a third will not show or show up for a short time so it's not overcrowded? If you sell 1000 wp's you can sell 3,200+/- daily passes and keep the risk of overcrowding to a minimum and still maximize capacity.

Again that is just my take on what they are trying to do but what the hell do I know.

jenn2080
09-15-2006, 12:59 PM
[quote=CLR01;1348239]I'm pretty sure that buying a weekend pass would guarantee temps above 50 for the weekend.

50?!! It should at least guarentee 75 and sunny. :D:

maurice
09-15-2006, 01:07 PM
It took me about 5 minutes to get the $99 / night rate offer on the Palmer House web site. The rate is available to everybody. Granted, I have experience booking rooms for myself on-line and not paying the rack rate, but that's hardly an unusual skill and certainly doesn't mean I'm lying.

maurice
09-15-2006, 01:14 PM
From my perspective, the only "screwjob" is the bit set forth in the first line of the letter the Sox sent out: "In past years, the Chicago White Sox have been able to offer season ticket holders special access to SoxFest tickets." Now they no longer offer "special access" to season ticket holders. They took away an existing season ticket holder benefit. If you're a season ticket holder, this just might piss you off.

CLR01
09-15-2006, 01:35 PM
It took me about 5 minutes to get the $99 / night rate offer on the Palmer House web site. The rate is available to everybody. Granted, I have experience booking rooms for myself on-line and not paying the rack rate, but that's hardly an unusual skill and certainly doesn't mean I'm lying.

I didn't say you were lying. This is what I am seeing. Christmas in July is not an option.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n15/chisox716/hiltoncopy.jpg

DumpJerry
09-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Sorry Dump, but I call it an "excellent business model :wink: " to prevent the fiasco which happened last year - an oversold event with a majority of the attendees spending most of their time in a huge line. The White Sox get use of the facility free of charge (or at a huge discount) with the proceeds of SoxFest going to charity. (not the money grubbing Reinsdorf as several rational posters have pointed out).

Sorry, this is not an excellent business model (I think you put that in quotes to mock my assessment of the season ticket sales policies which I feel are an excellent business model). This is not an excellent business model because it does not do anything to engender feelings of goodwill among the customer base. If your customer base is not happy with the product, they will not buy it. Soxfest is not to be confused with Sox game tickets. If the team produces on the field, we will buy tickets and endure the team's policy for those sales which maximises their cash flow. Making Soxfest unreasonably expensive by forcing people to buy hotel rooms, a purchase which has no relationship to the actual event, turns off people.

Personally, I've never been to Soxfest (except the bar at the Hyatt last year for the first time) and don't plan on going regardless of the policies. I'm not an autograph hound and rubbing elbows with famous people does not excite me any more (having worked in politics in a past life, I got star-gazing out of my system).

mcfish
09-15-2006, 02:00 PM

It's called running a business -- and $250 is a great rate for a two-night stay in the Loop.$250 is not a great rate for a two-night stay in the Loop when you already live in the loop. I would love to go to Sox Fest, but I'm not going to spend $300 on a hotel room 7 blocks away from my apartment.

jenn2080
09-15-2006, 02:09 PM
$250 is not a great rate for a two-night stay in the Loop when you already live in the loop. I would love to go to Sox Fest, but I'm not going to spend $300 on a hotel room 7 blocks away from my apartment.

well no kidding it sucks if you live in the loop. thats obvious focus on the in general like she is mentioning. in general the rates are great for a hotel in the loop.

wait until they go onsale for single days then

maurice
09-15-2006, 02:57 PM
It took me about 5 minutes to get the $99 / night rate offer on the Palmer House web site.

This is what I am seeing. Christmas in July is not an option.

That is not "the Palmer House web site." This (http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=KLP1MB54WZ1WCCSGBIU222QKIYF C3UUC?ctyhocn=CHIPHHH) is.

The easiest way is to click the "Hotel Specials" tab. The 4th special listed is "Christmas in July." (Alternatively, you can "check availability" from the main page and then click the "Christmas in July" checkbox above the "AARP" checkbox.) I already noted that the name makes no sense, but it's valid for most of December and January, including but not limited to the 2 weekends before Soxfest. The rate is $99 / night for a Friday - Sunday stay. Again, in my experience, they offer this weekend rate every winter.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-15-2006, 04:34 PM
Sorry, this is not an excellent business model (I think you put that in quotes to mock my assessment of the season ticket sales policies which I feel are an excellent business model). This is not an excellent business model because it does not do anything to engender feelings of goodwill among the customer base. If your customer base is not happy with the product, they will not buy it. Soxfest is not to be confused with Sox game tickets. If the team produces on the field, we will buy tickets and endure the team's policy for those sales which maximises their cash flow. Making Soxfest unreasonably expensive by forcing people to buy hotel rooms, a purchase which has no relationship to the actual event, turns off people.

Personally, I've never been to Soxfest (except the bar at the Hyatt last year for the first time) and don't plan on going regardless of the policies. I'm not an autograph hound and rubbing elbows with famous people does not excite me any more (having worked in politics in a past life, I got star-gazing out of my system).

IMO, your argument that people will stop going to Sox games (i.e. "stop buying the product") because the team changed the policy about season ticket holders getting guaranteed access to weekend SoxFest passes without reserving a hotel room is without merit. Seriously - how many people are going to stop going to Sox games because of this?

I understand your point of not intentionally pissing off the fan base. However, the fan base was quite pissed due to the enormous crowds last year. The White Sox needed to get this event under control so the people attending would actually have access to players / coaches. You can increase the price (the best option - especially since this goes to charity), have a random lottery (which would really piss off the season ticket base) or field a ****ty team (which would piss off everyone). People will be unhappy when you limit access but limited access was needed based on all of the complaints from last year.

Once again, the team is not forcing anyone to purchase a hotel room. If you want guaranteed access for a weekend pass, then you can decide whether or not to purchase a hotel room. If not, you still have an opportunity to purchase tickets in January. The White Sox have increased their season ticket base by several thousand this offseason - there is simply no way to guarantee tickets for season ticket holders and keep this event manageable. This is a fair / reasonable way to allocate the limited number of tickets available for this event. The White Sox are able to dedicate more revenue to charity and die hard season ticket holders have the option of reserving a room to guarantee a spot. They simply cannot offer over 10,000 weekend passes to this event. I can't understand why people do not grasp this concept.

If you want guaranteed access to every playoff game, you need to buy an 81 game package. If you purchase no plan or a partial season ticket plan, you will get no playoff tickets or a few playoff tickets respectively.

We will have to agree to disagree on the season ticket invoicing. Forcing people to put a deposit on seats for games 13 months in advance (August 2006 deposit for games through September 2007) is over the top IMO. The playoff purchase for the current year and the season ticket purchase for the following year should be a separate transaction. Even the blood sucking Bill Wirtz kept the two separate and issued a prompt refund for unused playoff games (within days in cash at the box office - not the several week leasurely pace of the White Sox). Intelligent people can disagree on these issues.

Peace Dump

ewokpelts
09-15-2006, 04:49 PM
For the same reason that season ticket holders do not get free playoff tickets. There is a substantial demand for playoff tickets just as is there is for Soxfest tickets. The bottom line is that this is a business. And apparently a lot of the Soxfest money goes to charity. Beyond that, from what I read here, the Sox do a heck of a lot for their season ticket holders already. I've read about special, free parties at the park. Gifts in the mail. And a program to exchange unused tickets. Seems like a lot of perks to me.i was able to get my soxfest 3 day pass for 25....it WAS perk of being a ticket holder....now that'll be the cost of ONE DAY

jenn2080
09-15-2006, 04:53 PM
This has become a never ending arguement with no end in sight. Everyone has different opinions of this and that is that. 15 pages of well you are wrong or you are wrong is not solving anything. Soxfest is how it is no matter what is we think.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-15-2006, 05:00 PM
i was able to get my soxfest 3 day pass for 25....it WAS perk of being a ticket holder....now that'll be the cost of ONE DAY

I was able to purchase a playoff ticket from the White Sox for $6 ($11.50 inflation adjusted). Now I pay $6 for a beer (not including the tip).

Entertainment price increases have outpaced inflation over the past few decades. There are simply too many people chasing a limited number of tickets. Get used to future price increases.

I agree with ilsox7 - the team has given their ever increasing season ticket holder base enormous perks of which I was a very happy camper this season (discounted tickets, free press guide, free ticket holder event, grinder bash, the chance to purchase tickets before the public, the chance to exchange unused tickets) which is why I renewed. They are offering another perk - a chance at guaranteed weekend passes of which only a few thousand or a small fraction compared to the season ticket base are available.

I've said my peace here. I hope the people who want to go can make it. Some ticket holders will choose not to purchase a hotel room and will have to wait until January to purchase tickets if available - I wish them luck.

StockdaleForVeep
09-15-2006, 05:39 PM
There are limits to how many people can stay in a room. There are surcharges to add extra people to the room. There is a credit card required to get a room (and they will charge it if you trash the place).

They won't allow you to bring a keg into the hotel. In fact many hotels won't allow you to bring in your own booze at all, so don't expect to waltz right by security carrying several cases of beer.

Ha, voodoo musta not been a college student in a long time, there are so many ways to sneak kegs and beer into any security fortress

Keg+hockey bag=:happybday

Chips
09-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Ha, voodoo musta not been a college student in a long time, there are so many ways to sneak kegs and beer into any security fortress

Keg+hockey bag=:happybday

I fully intend on having my room stocked full of beer. Probably not a keg, but several cases of beer or maybe a few bottles of the hard stuff.

SoxEd
09-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Now, these are my thoughts on some of the justifications for the way that this is being marketed.

(I've only quoted ilsox because several people have made similar points.)

However, from what I gathered last year, people had two main issues with the event in 2006:

Now, if the Sox moved the event to a huge venue, you'd remedy problem one above. However, that would do nothing to help with the lines for autographs and the lack of personal touch for the seminars. In fact, the lines would be longer and the seminars less personal b/c capacity would be higher.

Instead, the Sox have chosen to go to a smaller venue, thus limiting tickets in the hope that space won't be as bad of a problem, but also ensuring that lines for autographs won't be as long and the seminars will be more personal.

Decreasing capacity leads to shorter lines, more space, and more personal seminars. And it's basic economics that when you decrease supply, prices increase.

The bit I have emboldened is true only when your model is driven by greed, AND you are happy to give the impression that you want to 'weed out' the 'poh folks' from your potential attendees, so that only 'yuppies' can get to enjoy the wider spaces afforded by the limited-capacity event.

For a Sports team with a predominantly 'blue-collar' fanbase, I would have thought that doing anything which might foster or allow this impression to gain credibility might have severe potential repercussions for the viability of your Business.

No-one NEEDS to go to baseball games, after all, so annoying 'your main demographic' ought to be avoided at all costs, no?

IMO it's just NOT good PR.

IF you want to solve the problems that afflicted previous SoxFests, as outlined above (i.e. to ensure shorter wait times and that everyone has enough room to breathe, and that the seminars have a more 'personal' feel), but you do NOT want to be accused of discriminating against 'blue-collar' fans, you CAN decrease capacity by simply limiting the supply of tickets - you do not NEED to ramp-up the cost.

The main component of which, I would argue, is the compulsory $250 hotel room.

This way of doing it is great for far-flung fans, but IMO asking a Chicagoan fan to stump-up $250 for a hotel room s/he does NOT need is an insult.

For the people saying "you don''t need to buy the weekend passes, you CAN get the individual tickets when they go on sale in January" I say this:

With the $250 Hotel fee tacked-on to the cost of the Weekend Pass seeming likely to put-off many Chicagoan fans, and therefore seemingly likely to increase the demand for single-day passes, do ya think that 'just maybe' the scalpers might be interested in hoovering-up a shedload of the one-day passes when they go on sale?

And, given that the limited supply of these passes therefore seems likely to be further-constrained by Corporate scalpers snaffling them, I'd expect to also see individual scalpers rushing to buy the single-day passes, in order to scalp them on Ebay (other online auction sites are available).

As we have already seen, when your ONLY goal is the maximisation of profit, and the supply of the product is limited, increased demand = a big chance to CA$H IN.

How much over-face do you expect the one-day passes to end up going for?

I personally would be surprised if the 'free market value' of the one-day passes did NOT get up as high as the order of the cost of the WP with the Hotel Room.

My own (undoubtedly cockamamie) idea:

If I were the Sox, in order to prevent overcrowding I would have chosen to limit the total number of passes available to a total commensurate with a non-overcrowded SoxFest (they may very well have done this).

If I wanted to raise the maximum for charity from their sales, I'd make a restricted number of 'Gold Passes' available, but only via auction from whitesox.com or the Sox ticket office.
I'd probably go with sealed bids, on the basis of 'not-less-than $x', to ensure that the auction raised a guaranteed amount for the charities.

I'd also try to add a condition to ensure that scalped tickets will NOT gain you entry to the event - e.g. stipulate that CC-holder names go on the tickets, and that you must be a member of the party of the CC-holder who bought the passes.
So, kids can get in on tickets in the name of a parent, but e.g. a bunch of students from ND can not get in on tickets in the name of some scalper from Alsip or Bridgeport, or NYC.

Of course, this gets tricky in terms of asking for ID, but doesn't everywhere do that nowadays anyway?

That way, I can bilk money out of some of the richer fans, in exchange for some kind of better pass, and thereby raise the highest possible figure for the charities, but I am not limiting attendance to only the richer fans, I'm not facilitating the harvesting of quick and easy profits by scalpers, or forcing ordinary working families to pay a fortune for their tickets to what is, when all is said and done, essentially an Off-season PR exercise.

Aren't I?
What obvious (and fatal) flaw have I missed with that idea?

Chips
09-15-2006, 07:47 PM
$250 is not a great rate for a two-night stay in the Loop when you already live in the loop. I would love to go to Sox Fest, but I'm not going to spend $300 on a hotel room 7 blocks away from my apartment.

Are you kidding me?

$250 for two nights in a nice hotel. If you split that with 3 other people, after taxes, you're looking at about $38 a night per person. That's a great ****ing rate.

RadioheadRocks
09-15-2006, 07:49 PM
This has become a never ending arguement. Everyone has different opinions of this and that is that. 15 pages of well you are wrong or you are wrong is not solving anything. Soxfest is how it is no matter what we think.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!

SoxEd
09-15-2006, 08:32 PM
Amen!!!!!!!!!!

So, what you are saying is "SoxFest happens"?
:redneck

lbtigerfan
09-15-2006, 08:54 PM

I'll just let you have the last word cause this, along with having to buy a hotel package to get a weekend pass, IS STUPID.

lbtigerfan
09-15-2006, 09:10 PM

What they should do is get rid of the weekend passes altogether and make everyone buy day tickets through ticketmaster or the box office. Of course that will never happen because the hotels needs something to encourage people to stay there.

Sorry I didn't use the multi-quote thingy...

Getting rid of the weekend passes would be a WONDERFUL idea.... glad we can agree on something... but, to agree again, sadly hotels wouldn't offer that.

And I must take up for MUsoxfan as he quoted himself.. "whatever it is, it is" because that phrase comes out of his mouth more than any other. He'll pay anything for anything (of course if he doesn't think it's dumb). So please don't attack him for "bitching" because "bitching" is the one thing he does very little of.

lbtigerfan
09-15-2006, 09:43 PM
Are you kidding me?

$250 for two nights in a nice hotel. If you split that with 3 other people, after taxes, you're looking at about $38 a night per person. That's a great ****ing rate.

I'm pretty sure the argument wasn't that $250 (which actually is more like $300 when you apply tax) is a bad deal for an upscale hotel in the Loop. The argument was that $250 (which actually is more like $300 when you apply tax) is a bad deal for an upscale hotel in the Loop when you live in the Loop.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!
This isn't directly toward you, but isn't it funny how people can bitch and complain about people bitching and complaing? Funny, eh?

RadioheadRocks
09-15-2006, 09:54 PM

This isn't directly toward you, but isn't it funny how people can bitch and complain about people bitching and complaing? Funny, eh?

Actually I have no problem with people voicing their concerns, but after 15 pages I think we've circled the airport long enough and it's time to bring this baby in for a landing, JMHO.

lbtigerfan
09-15-2006, 11:25 PM
Actually I have no problem with people voicing their concerns, but after 15 pages I think we've circled the airport long enough and it's time to bring this baby in for a landing, JMHO.

There wasn't any ill feelings toward you...
I don't have a problem with people voicing their concerns either... I actually don't even know why I care because I don't even have the slightest want to go to Soxfest, nor can I being that I'm 1,000 miles away. I certainly have voiced my concern and I like hearing what others think about it. I just think it's funny that someone complained about the 1500 posts that were being made when that poster made 18 posts in this very thread alone. Point made. Bitching about bitching... it really gets you nowhere except in the same pot as the people you're complaining about, JMHO. :D:

chisoxmike
09-17-2006, 07:41 PM
I sent this thread and some people's opinions to Brooks on Friday. He e-mailed me back that day and am posting his responce to some of the outrage with his permission.

Mike,Thanks for the note and feedback. I truly appreciate it. I don't know if what I write will make you happy but I hope that my explanation makes sense. I could tip-toe around this subject and say things to make you feel better, but I would prefer to simply shoot you straight. I hope you don't mind the straight forward approach.

As defending World Series champions, as you know, we are enjoying unparalleled fan interest and demand for our tickets, both at U.S.Cellular Field and now for SoxFest. Our goal with SoxFest is always to create a positive and memorable experience for all who attend. I think we have accomplished this goal with the exception of some long autograph lines last year. Moving to a new facility this year, the Palmer House Hilton, we want to be conservative in our ticket distribution to ensure that everyone in attendance can enjoy the weekend's activities (and we don't have thosepainfully long lines.....although I can't guarantee you there won't belong lines).

With a new location, which is smaller than our past venue, we have tried to structure SoxFest ticketing in a way that offers Weekend Passes to fans who can commit to a two-night package at the Palmer House Hilton.We plan to make individual-day tickets available to all fans in January.We feel the individual tickets will allow cost or time-conscious fans toattend the event. We did not want to limit ticket distribution to just Weekend Passes because we wanted as many fans as possible to enjoy thewinter "kick-off" to our season. The demand for SoxFest 2006 tickets(and the secondary on-line market that followed) showed us that thevalue of SoxFest tickets has grown exponentially. We want to make sure,through how we distribute tickets, that a large segment of our fans aren't priced out of the event.Unfortunately, the costs that come with putting on a quality andsuccessful event, like SoxFest, continue to increase each year. With less people being able to attend because of the venue size, we need to raise ticket prices to help us cover our hard costs that come with putting on a great event like SoxFest. I would hope that this would be reasonable to most.

The reality is that demand for SoxFest tickets is high, the supply oftickets is low and it is virtually impossible to make everyone happy in this scenario although our preference would be to make everyone happy all of the time. Hopefully, the above is reasonable to you and all of our fans. Some may disagree with our concepts, but I hope this explanation is understandable.

All the best,

Brooks

BainesHOF
09-18-2006, 10:53 AM
That's a decent reply by Brooks, but I'd like to know two things:

- Why weren't full season ticket holders offered the opportunity to buy tickets for one day?

- Why did the hotel/ticket package go up so much?

Ol' No. 2
09-18-2006, 10:56 AM
That's a decent reply by Brooks, but I'd like to know two things:

- Why weren't full season ticket holders offered the opportunity to buy tickets for one day?

- Why did the hotel/ticket package go up so much?The hotel rate is about the same as last year. The big difference is that the weekend passes were thrown in with the package last year, but this year you have to purchase them in addition. That turns a $250 weekend into a $400 weekend for two people. Count me out. It was fun, but not that much fun.

Iwritecode
09-18-2006, 11:26 AM
As defending World Series champions, as you know, we are enjoying unparalleled fan interest and demand for our tickets, both at U.S.Cellular Field and now for SoxFest. Our goal with SoxFest is always to create a positive and memorable experience for all who attend. I think we have accomplished this goal with the exception of some long autograph lines last year.

Well it was certainly memorable. It wasn't just the autograph lines that were long. The lines to even get down to Soxfest were heading out of the hotel at one point. That's what happens when you double the number of tickets sold from the previous year.

Moving to a new facility this year, the Palmer House Hilton, we want to be conservative in our ticket distribution to ensure that everyone in attendance can enjoy the weekend's activities (and we don't have thosepainfully long lines.....although I can't guarantee you there won't belong lines).

That makes perfect sense. I'm actually kinda glad the Sox are taking an active role in how many tickets get sold to make sure the hotel doesn't start seeing dollar signs floating in front of their eyes and double book the event.

With a new location, which is smaller than our past venue, we have tried to structure SoxFest ticketing in a way that offers Weekend Passes to fans who can commit to a two-night package at the Palmer House Hilton.We plan to make individual-day tickets available to all fans in January.We feel the individual tickets will allow cost or time-conscious fans toattend the event. We did not want to limit ticket distribution to just Weekend Passes because we wanted as many fans as possible to enjoy the winter "kick-off" to our season.

This is pretty much what they did last year. But we weren't forced to buy a hotel package just to get the weekend passes.

The demand for SoxFest 2006 tickets(and the secondary on-line market that followed) showed us that thevalue of SoxFest tickets has grown exponentially.

They realized how much $$$ Sox fans are willing to pay for the tickets and what in on the action.

We want to make sure,through how we distribute tickets, that a large segment of our fans aren't priced out of the event.Unfortunately, the costs that come with putting on a quality and successful event, like SoxFest, continue to increase each year. With less people being able to attend because of the venue size, we need to raise ticket prices to help us cover our hard costs that come with putting on a great event like SoxFest. I would hope that this would be reasonable to most.

Now wait a minute... You don't want to price people out yet WILLINGLY move to a smaller venue and double the prices? That'd be like chopping off half of the stadium, then doubling ticket prices and saying "Hey, we have a smaller venue now and have to make up the costs somehow..."

ChiSoxGirl
09-22-2006, 10:36 AM
I'm not sure if this deserves its own thread, so I thought I'd just piggyback the Soxfest Screwjob thread, since this post is directly related.

I called a few minutes ago and booked my room for two nights. All rooms with double beds have been sold out already (!), and I was a little surprised to find out they charge your credit card immediately for the price of one night's stay, plus tax. If you're booking a room, be prepared for $143 & change to appear on your September credit card statement! :angry: All those years we did this event at the Hyatt, my card was never charged until I checked out of the hotel, and unbeknownst to me, I had to charge this amount today. :mad:

The guy I talked to seemed to be in a big hurry to get me off the phone- he even transposed the numbers of my confirmation number when reading it to me because he was going so quickly! Good thing I read it back to him for verification! He rattled off something about the Sox contacting me within a day or two about purchasing weekend passes, which I knew, and that if I choose to cancel, it has to be done by midnight two weeks before check-in, which is also different than the Hyatt's policy of cancelling within 24 hours of the stay.

spiffie
09-22-2006, 10:46 AM
I'm not sure if this deserves its own thread, so I thought I'd just piggyback the Soxfest Screwjob thread, since this post is directly related.

I called a few minutes ago and booked my room for two nights. All rooms with double beds have been sold out already (!), and I was a little surprised to find out they charge your credit card immediately for the price of one night's stay, plus tax. If you're booking a room, be prepared for $143 & change to appear on your September credit card statement! :angry: All those years we did this event at the Hyatt, my card was never charged until I checked out of the hotel, and unbeknownst to me, I had to charge this amount today. :mad:

The guy I talked to seemed to be in a big hurry to get me off the phone- he even transposed the numbers of my confirmation number when reading it to me because he was going so quickly! Good thing I read it back to him for verification! He rattled off something about the Sox contacting me within a day or two about purchasing weekend passes, which I knew, and that if I choose to cancel, it has to be done by midnight two weeks before check-in, which is also different than the Hyatt's policy of cancelling within 24 hours of the stay.
Hmmm...I wonder if the Sox will be sending out the passes or if you will have to pick them up with your hotel room key or something like that. Otherwise it would seem you could reserve a room, get the tickets, and then cancel the room at a later date. I assume they will have some guard in place against that though.

Wonder how many rooms are being grabbed by scalpers who figure they can sell the weekend passes for 200-250 each and make back the cost of everything.

Jaffar
09-22-2006, 11:02 AM

I booked this morning and got a room with doubles but had a completely different experience. Mine was very positive and the lady was very thorough and repeated things I told her and emailed me all the info. I guess it's all who you talk to. This will be my first time with a hotel package though so I can't compare it to previous years, I just knew I was tired of driving an hour + in the morning to get there and then having to leave and not enjoy myself like I wanted to.

Palehose13
09-22-2006, 11:04 AM

I made my reservation as soon as I read your post. I got a room with a double bed no problem, but they charged me $172.52 today. The reason: I have a total of 3 people. At first I said 4 (hoping maybe my gf would go too), but then they quoted me almost $200 a night. I then read her this from the website:

The hotel's special SoxFest rate for a two-night stay is $249, plus applicable tax (fans will be limited to two (2) rooms per reservation name). There is an additional charge of $25 per person in rooms with more than four (4) adults or a total of five (5) people.

She told me that this was a misprint and that there is a $25 additional charge per person, per night for over 2 guests. She also told me that I can only purchase 3 weekend passes since that is how many I made the reservation for.

I'm a little pissed, but to be honest I don't mind paying $75 extra if it is going to be not as crowded. Last year was a madhouse and I think it may be worth the extra cash if the fest is a little more intimate.

ChiSoxGirl
09-22-2006, 11:13 AM
I made my reservation as soon as I read your post. I got a room with a double bed no problem....

I wonder how you got a room with double beds without a problem, yet you booked a half hour or so after I did.... :?: :dunno:

The guy told me he'd put a request on my reservation for double beds, but there's no guarantee I'll get a room with them when I check-in.

Palehose13
09-22-2006, 11:18 AM
I wonder how you got a room with double beds without a problem, yet you booked a half hour or so after I did.... :?: :dunno:

The guy told me he'd put a request on my reservation for double beds, but there's no guarantee I'll get a room with them when I check-in.

Maybe they are saving the double bed rooms for people with 3 or 4 guests.

Scottiehaswheels
09-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Just called... Sold out

Palehose13
09-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Just called... Sold out

Holy ****!

Jaffar
09-22-2006, 11:23 AM
She also told me that I can only purchase 3 weekend passes since that is how many I made the reservation for.

I'm a little pissed, but to be honest I don't mind paying $75 extra if it is going to be not as crowded. Last year was a madhouse and I think it may be worth the extra cash if the fest is a little more intimate.

I agree with that but the first part concerns me since I only booked for 2 but was planning on buying 4 passes because I had other people planning on going that weren't staying all weekend. I guess we'll see what happens when the Sox call. I will be quick to ask about this though.
• Fans who purchase a two-night stay at the SoxFest rate can buy up to four (4) weekend passes at $75 each.

Jaffar
09-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Holy ****!

I second that!

ajismyhero
09-22-2006, 11:27 AM
If anyone signed up for 4 guests, but doesn't have all 4 and has an extra weekend pass - please let me know!

Palehose13
09-22-2006, 11:30 AM
If anyone signed up for 4 guests, but doesn't have all 4 and has an extra weekend pass - please let me know!

They are going to sell individual passes in January. That is probably your best bet (That or ebay/stubhub). For me to sign up for 4 people it would have cost me $50. If by chance I am able to buy that 4th extra pass, it's going to my dad. Sorry.

Iwritecode
09-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Sounds like they are doing the same thing as last year. They quote a price for a room that holds up to four people and then conveniently neglect to mention that it costs extra if you have more than 2 people.

Palehose13
09-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Sounds like they are doing the same thing as last year. They quote a price for a room that holds up to four people and then conveniently neglect to mention that it costs extra if you have more than 2 people.

I didn't get charged extra for having 3 last year.

Iwritecode
09-22-2006, 11:41 AM
I didn't get charged extra for having 3 last year.

I didn't either. I told them there was only 2 people. :wink:

The year before I complained enough that they took it off my bill. I didn't find out about the extra cost until Sunday when they slipped the bill under my door.

They couldn't explain the logic of giving us four weekend passes and then charging extra for 2 more people.

soxchick20
09-22-2006, 12:00 PM
yea so after booking the room for 4 and the lady saying $249, my confirmation email says $299. great. w/e.

tacosalbarojas
09-22-2006, 12:01 PM
Just called... Sold outHotel or the event?

Scottiehaswheels
09-22-2006, 12:03 PM
Hotel or the event?Hotel, at least thats what they told me....

Palehose13
09-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Hotel or the event?

Hotel. They aren't selling individual passess until January, but those are going to be limited.

Iwritecode
09-22-2006, 12:05 PM
yea so after booking the room for 4 and the lady saying $249, my confirmation email says $299. great. w/e.

I've been so priced out of this thing it's not even funny... :(: