PDA

View Full Version : Tell Pods to stop stealing?

Rooney4Prez56
09-13-2006, 08:20 AM
Podsednik has sucked on the basepaths recently, and he just can't seem to do anything right. Yesterday, he got thrown out at 3rd in the big inning and pretty much killed the rally. He looked like he slowed down running to 3rd, too. Is it time to pull Pods or tell him to stop stealing?

drewcifer
09-13-2006, 08:21 AM
Podsednik has sucked on the basepaths recently, and he just can't seem to do anything right. Yesterday, he got thrown out at 3rd in the big inning and pretty much killed the rally. He looked like he slowed down running to 3rd, too. Is it time to pull Pods or tell him to stop stealing?

Yes.

And getting thrown out better than a 1/3 of the time is not a recent occurrence, either.

Frontman
09-13-2006, 08:24 AM
I'd say its time to sit him down. That "steal attempt" was pathetic. He didn't go full-out and pulled up on the way into 3rd.

Front

ZombieRob
09-13-2006, 08:26 AM
He did slow down into 3rd was a huge mistake as it turned out

tina_1984
09-13-2006, 08:31 AM
i agree. its was a terrible attempt.

did anyone else hear hawk say that pods prolly slowed down cause he may have thought he heard the ball making contact with the bat? i dunno, i thought i heard that after he was thrown out.

samram
09-13-2006, 08:35 AM
If you tell Pods to stop running, you may as well just tell him to get a job selling insurance. What the hell else does he do well as a baseball player?

Rooney4Prez56
09-13-2006, 08:37 AM
If you tell Pods to stop running, you may as well just tell him to get a job selling insurance. What the hell else does he do well as a baseball player?

Nothing. That's why I want him gone.

whitesoxwilkes
09-13-2006, 08:37 AM
i agree. its was a terrible attempt.

did anyone else hear hawk say that pods prolly slowed down cause he may have thought he heard the ball making contact with the bat? i dunno, i thought i heard that after he was thrown out.

Yeah, I heard that too. Wonder if the ball hitting the glove spooked him or something?

batmanZoSo
09-13-2006, 09:10 AM
Yeah, I heard that too. Wonder if the ball hitting the glove spooked him or something?

Something must've spooked 'im good.

The only acceptable reason for dramatically slowing down before reaching an attempted steal is the sound of nearby gunfire--that, or he was paid by bookies to get thrown out. There's no excuse for such poor intensity and focus, especially at a time like this in the season. I mean if the ball is hit and you're eight feet from the next base, there's no going back. He's never been a very smart baseball player. He's got horse **** instincts and no longer has the raw speed to make up for it. Why? I don't know. I guess one can't sustain a very minor injury without losing a critical chunk of one's ability, rendering him useless. :dunno:

Man is he cut.

samram
09-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Nothing. That's why I want him gone.

Fine by me.

rdwj
09-13-2006, 09:20 AM
That may have been the laziest steal attempt I've EVER seen.

What are the chances he's in the lineup today? Probably not very good

0o0o0
09-13-2006, 09:25 AM
I'd tell him to steal more. Besides that weirdo attempt, he's been doing alright with stealing bases recently.

Palehose13
09-13-2006, 09:35 AM
I'd tell him to steal more. Besides that weirdo attempt, he's been doing alright with stealing bases recently.

How quickly people forget the three stolen bases during the Cleveland series.

jenn2080
09-13-2006, 10:00 AM

Even more fun is that how people dont realize that he is #4 in the AL and #8 in the MLB for 39 Stolen bases.

Last year Pods ended the season with 59 stolen bases. He really isnt that far off.

spiffie
09-13-2006, 10:01 AM

Pods for the year is 39/55 for a 71% success rate. By month he is:
April: 4/8
May: 14/17
June: 6/10
July: 6/8
August: 6/8
Sept: 3/4

So outside of his one amazing month where he seemed like the Pods of old, he is 25/38 for a 66% success rate. So yeah, for much of the year he has basically been getting caught 1 out every 3 times. Which has been basically the norm for him since the injury last season. Before the injury last year he was 52/67 for a 78% success rate. After the injury he was 7/15. Total since the injury he's 46/70, which is again 66%. And his May 2006 number is bloated by 2 games against awful catchers. Of his 14 SB's that month, 7 came in just 2 games with 4 against CLE with Victor Martinez and 3 against TB with Toby Hall catching.

Whatever Pods had he has lost since August 2005. And in a lot of ways I think that's pretty much the biggest reason this team has struggled offensively to be consistent. The idea going into the year was great. Pods gets on, rattles pitchers, Iguchi hits situationally to move him along and set things up for the big boppers. Instead Pods gets on just over 30% of the time, Iguchi has no rhythm with him, and often the #3 comes up with 2 out and no one on.

spiffie
09-13-2006, 10:03 AM
Even more fun is that how people dont realize that he is #4 in the AL and #8 in the MLB for 39 Stolen bases.

Last year Pods ended the season with 59 stolen bases. He really isnt that far off.
If I tell you a basketball player scored 30 points in a game would you say that's good? Most likely. What if I said he did it on 15/49 shooting? Would you still say that's helpful? All Scott Podsednik has is speed. He makes up for his lack of speed in absolutely no other meaningful way. He has no power, no real hitting skills, no above-average defensive skills. If he cannot steal not only a lot of bases, but do it efficiently, he bring absolutely nothing to a team.

Paulwny
09-13-2006, 10:10 AM

Everyone runs on Victor Martinez

From the News - Herald
Here is the argument for trading Martinez:
He is arguably the worst defensive catcher in the American League, maybe in the major leagues. Teams run wild against the Indians. The pitchers share some of the blame for that, but the bulk of it is on Martinez, who has a weak, inaccurate arm. It seems very unlikely the Indians could ever win a World Series when their opponents are able to steal bases virtually at will - causing Tribe pitchers to have to throw an incalculable number of extra pitches per inning.

0o0o0
09-13-2006, 10:13 AM
Instead Pods gets on just over 30% of the time, Iguchi has no rhythm with him, and often the #3 comes up with 2 out and no one on.

Right, which is why I think he should go pretty much whenever he's on.

Sell Jerry Sell!
09-13-2006, 10:14 AM
I'm not defending him at all because he has really turned for the worse but on that steal of 3rd if you watched the replay he was actually safe. It was a phantom tag at third and Pods got his foot in there.

spiffie
09-13-2006, 10:15 AM
Everyone runs on Victor Martinez

From the News - Herald
Here is the argument for trading Martinez:
He is arguably the worst defensive catcher in the American League, maybe in the major leagues. Teams run wild against the Indians. The pitchers share some of the blame for that, but the bulk of it is on Martinez, who has a weak, inaccurate arm. It seems very unlikely the Indians could ever win a World Series when their opponents are able to steal bases virtually at will - causing Tribe pitchers to have to throw an incalculable number of extra pitches per inning.
Very true. This year Pods is 9/10 in SB against Cleveland. Along with his 5/6 against the awful TB catching, that makes up 14 of his 39 SB's. Outside of those two teams he's 25/39, 64%, which is right in line with everything else.

spiffie
09-13-2006, 10:16 AM
Right, which is why I think he should go pretty much whenever he's on.
So the guy is already getting on only 30% of the time. You want to effectively cut that down to 20% of the time our best hitters will have him on base when they hit?

0o0o0
09-13-2006, 10:22 AM
So the guy is already getting on only 30% of the time. You want to effectively cut that down to 20% of the time our best hitters will have him on base when they hit?

No, I'm saying that he should take of advantage of being on base because you don't know when it's gonna happen next. Plus, if Iguchi has no rhythm behind him, must as well take a shot at it.

CaptainBallz
09-13-2006, 10:31 AM
I was truly hoping for the camera to pan over to Ozzie ripping him a new one for holding up. He had that base snagged. Dye's flyball brings him in. That's just 150% NOT having your head in the game and/or not hustling. Complete nonsense...:angry:

spiffie
09-13-2006, 10:32 AM
No, I'm saying that he should take of advantage of being on base because you don't know when it's gonna happen next. Plus, if Iguchi has no rhythm behind him, must as well take a shot at it.
I see what you're saying, but as rarely as Pods is on, I'd rather take my shot that Iguchi or Dye or Thome can do something instead of banking on Pods to make something happen. Against weak catchers or very slow moving pitchers sure, take the shot. But otherwise, it seems like a waste of his few chances.

Jjav829
09-13-2006, 10:37 AM
I see what you're saying, but as rarely as Pods is on, I'd rather take my shot that Iguchi or Dye or Thome can do something instead of banking on Pods to make something happen. Against weak catchers or very slow moving pitchers sure, take the shot. But otherwise, it seems like a waste of his few chances.

Then there is no point in playing him. The only reason to play Pods is because of his speed and what he can do on the bases (which he hasn't been doing much of recently). If you're not going to let him run, then you might as well play Mackowiak in left field. Mackowiak is a superior defender and hitter. No, he's not a true leadoff hitter, but if you're just asking him to get on base, he can do that better than Podsednik.

CLR01
09-13-2006, 10:48 AM

This board has been diagnosed as having bipolar disorder.

spiffie
09-13-2006, 10:48 AM
Then there is no point in playing him. The only reason to play Pods is because of his speed and what he can do on the bases (which he hasn't been doing much of recently). If you're not going to let him run, then you might as well play Mackowiak in left field. Mackowiak is a superior defender and hitter. No, he's not a true leadoff hitter, but if you're just asking him to get on base, he can do that better than Podsednik.
Sounds good to me. Plus that might give Ozzie something to do with Mackowiak instead of playing him over Anderson.

CaptainBallz
09-13-2006, 10:50 AM

All that does is take Mack's clutch "D" out of center. It also doesn't gel with Ozzie's BA hate and his desire to get him more AB's from the bench.
BTW, is the Pods "platoon" still in effect? Or does the lefty/righty matchups still take precedence over complete ineffectiveness?

sas1974
09-13-2006, 11:06 AM
I'm not defending him at all because he has really turned for the worse but on that steal of 3rd if you watched the replay he was actually safe. It was a phantom tag at third and Pods got his foot in there.

Yep. He was definitely safe.

jenn2080
09-13-2006, 11:12 AM
If I tell you a basketball player scored 30 points in a game would you say that's good? Most likely. What if I said he did it on 15/49 shooting? Would you still say that's helpful? All Scott Podsednik has is speed. He makes up for his lack of speed in absolutely no other meaningful way. He has no power, no real hitting skills, no above-average defensive skills. If he cannot steal not only a lot of bases, but do it efficiently, he bring absolutely nothing to a team.

We were talking about his stealing. Nothing else. I feel the same way about Pods as you do for the most part.

Domeshot17
09-13-2006, 11:45 AM
dont give all the credit to victor martinez, he stole a few off shoppach who has a missle, innacurate as it may be. I think pods is starting to come around a little. It is easy to see what is going on with him. You hear all the time about how much pressure he puts on himself to succeed. Tim Raines said all his times and explosiveness are the same as last year, but its mental. He isnt reacting right away, instead he is thinking he better not mess up, THEN he reacts. I guess in a way im pulling for pods a little, I know hes hurting us, I know he wont be back, but hes a good guy and he cares (which is why im guessing something happened on that SB attempt). You can question his ability, but he is one guy no one will ever question his heart.

Malgar 12
09-13-2006, 11:49 AM

My 87 year old grandmother could steal bases off Victor Martinez.

TomBradley72
09-13-2006, 11:50 AM
To paraphrase Hawk...it's not how many bases he has stolen...but when did he steal them? He racks up the numbers against Cleveland, etc....but does he pick up the SB in a close game when everyone knows he going? To me that's the litmus test of a great base stealer.

Last night's attempt at 3rd base was inexcusable...completely changed the momentum...he would have been safe if he had continued to run hard and slid head first.

shes
09-13-2006, 12:20 PM
His SB rate over the past 2 and a half months is 75%. Quit complaining. That's good. He made a bonehead mistake last nite -- either thinking the ball was fouled off or the catcher wasn't going to throw down to third -- but even so, he was safe. He's not the Pods of '05, but he's still one of our better clutch hitters and has been better on the basepaths as of late. I'd invite anyone to offer a better every-day solution at the top of the order.

samram
09-13-2006, 12:26 PM
His SB rate over the past 2 and a half months is 75%. Quit complaining. That's good. He made a bonehead mistake last nite -- either thinking the ball was fouled off or the catcher wasn't going to throw down to third -- but even so, he was safe. He's not the Pods of '05, but he's still one of our better clutch hitters and has been better on the basepaths as of late. I'd invite anyone to offer a better every-day solution at the top of the order.

How long can I take?

In any case, enjoy him while you can. He's not going to be here much longer.

OzzyTrain
09-13-2006, 12:33 PM

Someone please tell me why he tried ? I mean if Dye gets a hit and Pods is at second, does he not score ? Even if its a close play at home, its better then what happen yesterday. And why did he pull up.

shes
09-13-2006, 12:35 PM
How long can I take?

In any case, enjoy him while you can. He's not going to be here much longer.

I have no problem with Pods being moved at the end of the year, but right now, for better or worse, he's the best option we've got at the top of the order.

shes
09-13-2006, 12:38 PM
Someone please tell me why he tried ? I mean if Dye gets a hit and Pods is at second, does he not score ? Even if its a close play at home, its better then what happen yesterday. And why did he pull up.

Had he been safe he could have scored on a non-hit, and a hit would have scored 2 instead of 1 since Iguchi took second on the play. Sure enough, Dye hit a flyball that would have been deep enough to get him in had he been on third, and ultimately would have won us the game.

Chicken Dinner
09-13-2006, 12:38 PM
I have no problem with Pods being moved at the end of the year, but right now, for better or worse, he's the best option we've got at the top of the order.

The truth hurts. It's him or Ozuna. :(:

samram
09-13-2006, 12:40 PM

That I agree with, but I still find no reason to defend his numerous shortcomings and below average performance.

NoNeckEra
09-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Last night's attempt at 3rd base was inexcusable...completely changed the momentum...he would have been safe if he had continued to run hard and slid head first.
He must have thought the catcher wasn't even going to throw down there.
There is absolutely no other explanation. He had that look all the sudden of "Holy ****, he's throwing down here. I better get going."

The Dude
09-13-2006, 05:21 PM

The only solution is Pods needs to stop playing!:D:

russ99
09-13-2006, 05:30 PM
That I agree with, but I still find no reason to defend his numerous shortcomings and below average performance.

That really doesn't bother me as much as just the look on his face. No drive, no fire, no anger, no passion. Just the same non-commital hangdog look and attitude. As much as I'm not a big fan of Ozuna, mainly because he's "Ozzie's boy", at least he goes all-out all the time. Wake up Scott and smell the freakin coffee.

IMO: That will get him cut more so than his performance this season, and I wear his name on the back of my Sox jersey.

lizard6king6
09-13-2006, 07:27 PM
I feel like this board turned into a "Lets bash Podsednik board". Its amazing how everyone loved him last year and now you all want him gone even though hes not doing that bad. He's helped the team througout the season with his stealing and MANY clutch RBI's. Ok yeah hes not the greatest at the moment (or for most of the year) but do we need to start a thread everytime he does something wrong. SHould I start a Ozuna thread and how much he sucks as a starter thread evertime he goes 0-4 when he starts? Or a Jenks is done thread everytime he gives up a hit?? Give it a break, I wish I saw more support for our players rather than always putting them down.
Everything in this thread has been said before about Pods, just give it a rest!:angry: