PDA

View Full Version : Pitching Matchups-Last 18 Games

sox1970
09-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Based on current rotations. 9 lefties. 9 righties. The last day of the season could be interesting. Just suppose the Twins have clinched the division by then. Obviously they'd save him for the ALDS Game 1, and we'd probably face Matt Guerrier or someone.

At Anaheim
Buehrle vs. Ervin Santana
Garcia vs. Joe Saunders (L)

At Oakland
Garland vs. Esteban Loaiza
Vazquez vs. Barry Zito (L)
Contreras vs. Joe Blanton

vs. Detroit
Buehrle vs. Kenny Rogers (L)
Garcia vs. Justin Verlander
Garland vs. Wil Ledezma (L)

vs. Seattle
Vazquez vs. Jake Woods (L)
Contreras vs. Gil Meche
Buehrle vs. Cha Seung Baek
Garcia vs. Jarrod Washburn (L)

at Cleveland
Garland vs. Paul Byrd
Vazquez vs. Fausto Carmona
Contreras vs. CC Sabathia (L)

at Minnesota
Buehrle vs. Francisco Liriano (L)
Garcia vs. Boof Bonser
Garland vs. Johan Santana (L)

spiffie
09-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Based on current rotations. 9 lefties. 9 righties. The last day of the season could be interesting. Just suppose the Twins have clinched the division by then. Obviously they'd save him for the ALDS Game 1, and we'd probably face Matt Guerrier or someone.

At Anaheim
Buehrle vs. Ervin Santana -L
Garcia vs. Joe Saunders (L) - W

At Oakland
Garland vs. Esteban Loaiza - W
Vazquez vs. Barry Zito (L) - L
Contreras vs. Joe Blanton - W

vs. Detroit
Buehrle vs. Kenny Rogers (L) - L
Garcia vs. Justin Verlander - W
Garland vs. Wil Ledezma (L) - W

vs. Seattle
Vazquez vs. Jake Woods (L) - W
Contreras vs. Gil Meche - W
Buehrle vs. Cha Seung Baek - W
Garcia vs. Jarrod Washburn (L) - L

at Cleveland
Garland vs. Paul Byrd - W
Vazquez vs. Fausto Carmona - W
Contreras vs. CC Sabathia (L) - L

at Minnesota
Buehrle vs. Francisco Liriano (L) - L
Garcia vs. Boof Bonser - W

Interesting...I decided to just go through and see what I liked in each one...going into the final game of the year we would be 94-67. Everyone has said we would need 95 for the playoffs...so if my crystal ball was on, it would be Garland v. Santana for a chance to move on. BRING IT ON!

aryzner
09-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Hell no man we are winning tonight so make that 95, 96 if we win that last one! :cool:

A. Cavatica
09-13-2006, 01:15 AM
You have Garcia vs Verlander as a win for us? :o:

Evman5
09-13-2006, 01:19 AM
The last day of the season could be interesting. Just suppose the Twins have clinched the division by then. Obviously they'd save him for the ALDS Game 1, and we'd probably face Matt Guerrier or someone.

Not if Justin Morneau has anything to say about it

aryzner
09-13-2006, 01:31 AM
Scratch what I said :(:

Chicken Dinner
09-13-2006, 01:52 AM
Pitching matchups don't mean anything.......I'm worried about bullpen matchups.

spiffie
09-13-2006, 07:17 AM
You have Garcia vs Verlander as a win for us? :o:
We're 3-1 vs. Verlander this year. We've scored a lot of runs in his starts. And I have a weird feeling about Freddy. I think he is going to be the guy who steps up big in his last few starts.

Thome25
09-13-2006, 09:08 AM
At Anaheim
Garcia vs. Joe Saunders (L) LOSS

At Oakland
Garland vs. Esteban Loaiza WIN
Vazquez vs. Barry Zito (L) LOSS
Contreras vs. Joe Blanton WIN

vs. Detroit
Buehrle vs. Kenny Rogers (L) LOSS
Garcia vs. Justin Verlander WIN
Garland vs. Wil Ledezma (L) WIN

vs. Seattle
Vazquez vs. Jake Woods (L) LOSS
Contreras vs. Gil Meche WIN
Buehrle vs. Cha Seung Baek LOSS
Garcia vs. Jarrod Washburn (L) WIN

at Cleveland
Garland vs. Paul Byrd WIN
Vazquez vs. Fausto Carmona WIN
Contreras vs. CC Sabathia (L) LOSS

at Minnesota
Buehrle vs. Francisco Liriano (L) WIN
Garcia vs. Boof Bonser WIN
Garland vs. Johan Santana (L) LOSS

The way I see things shaking out is that we go 10-7 the rest of the way. That would leave our final record at 93-69.

Hopefully I'm wrong and they can get a couple more victories in there somewhere.

zmz723
09-13-2006, 09:11 AM
at Minnesota
Buehrle vs. Francisco Liriano (L)
Garcia vs. Boof Bonser

:angry: :whiner:

ondafarm
09-13-2006, 10:05 AM
At Anaheim
Garcia vs. Joe Saunders (L) LOSS

At Oakland
Garland vs. Esteban Loaiza WIN
Vazquez vs. Barry Zito (L) LOSS
Contreras vs. Joe Blanton WIN

vs. Detroit
Buehrle vs. Kenny Rogers (L) LOSS
Garcia vs. Justin Verlander WIN
Garland vs. Wil Ledezma (L) WIN

vs. Seattle
Vazquez vs. Jake Woods (L) LOSS
Contreras vs. Gil Meche WIN
Buehrle vs. Cha Seung Baek LOSS
Garcia vs. Jarrod Washburn (L) WIN

at Cleveland
Garland vs. Paul Byrd WIN
Vazquez vs. Fausto Carmona WIN
Contreras vs. CC Sabathia (L) LOSS

at Minnesota
Buehrle vs. Francisco Liriano (L) WIN
Garcia vs. Boof Bonser WIN
Garland vs. Johan Santana (L) LOSS

The way I see things shaking out is that we go 10-7 the rest of the way. That would leave our final record at 93-69.

Hopefully I'm wrong and they can get a couple more victories in there somewhere.

I think assuming that the Angels lefty will beat us and that the Mariners will split four games at USCF are both stretches. If the Sox can't rough up the Mariners, then we belong to sit at home come October.

I think a most interesting scenerio is if the Twins lock up the division but then the Sox and Tigers are battling for the wild card. Would the Twins pitch Santana?

Tekijawa
09-13-2006, 10:17 AM
I think a most interesting scenerio is if the Twins lock up the division but then the Sox and Tigers are battling for the wild card. Would the Twins pitch Santana?
I would rather have a Stumbling Tigers team in the Playoffs than a Stumbling White Sox team... Then again, If the shoe were on the other foot, I'd probably rather have the Yankees and White Sox Battle it out for 18 innings a game for 5 games...

spiffie
09-13-2006, 11:11 AM
I would rather have a Stumbling Tigers team in the Playoffs than a Stumbling White Sox team.
I don't think that's a consideration, especially with the first round being best of 5. If the Twins have a playoff spot locked, and can choose between being able to use Santana twice in Games 1 and 4, or once in Game 3, I can't in any way imagine them going with the latter simply to try and game the playoffs. Especially since they pretty well own us anyhow. If I'm the Twins, and I know I can throw Santana 3 times against us in a possible ALCS, I would be salivating at the thought of meeting the Sox in such a matchup.

downstairs
09-13-2006, 11:35 AM
Hmmm... maybe we then hope for Minnesota to clinch the division before the final series... then they'll rest everyone.

That, or we just START WINNING GAMES!

Flight #24
09-13-2006, 11:43 AM

At Anaheim
Garcia vs. Joe Saunders (W)

At Oakland
Garland vs. Esteban Loaiza (W)
Vazquez vs. Barry Zito (L) (L)
Contreras vs. Joe Blanton (W)

vs. Detroit
Buehrle vs. Kenny Rogers (L) (L)
Garcia vs. Justin Verlander (W)
Garland vs. Wil Ledezma (L) (W)

vs. Seattle
Vazquez vs. Jake Woods (L) (W)
Contreras vs. Gil Meche (W)
Buehrle vs. Cha Seung Baek (L)
Garcia vs. Jarrod Washburn (L) (W)

at Cleveland
Garland vs. Paul Byrd (W)
Vazquez vs. Fausto Carmona (W)
Contreras vs. CC Sabathia (L) (L)

at Minnesota
Buehrle vs. Francisco Liriano (L) (L)
Garcia vs. Boof Bonser (W)
Garland vs. Johan Santana (L) (L)

That's 11 more wins for a sterling 94 wins on the season. What I think will actually happen is that the Twins will have the division wrapped up by then and we won't see Santana the last game. Which could mean 95 wins if we can somehow beat whoever they throw that Sunday.

The problem with this is that with 95 wins, the Tigers only have to go 8-9 to tie the Sox at 95. That's possible, but they do have a relatively easy schedule so who knows.

The real problem is that this team continues to be the picture of inconsistency and "unable to put it together". The can obvioiusly change, and the pitching does seem to be coming around. (And tonights' game featured several rockets right at people, so maybe that bodes well with strong pitching and continued line drives you'd expect better results in general going forward.)

It ain't over, but the Sox continue to make it increasingly difficult for themselves.

BNLSox
09-13-2006, 11:51 PM
We're 3-1 vs. Verlander this year. We've scored a lot of runs in his starts. And I have a weird feeling about Freddy. I think he is going to be the guy who steps up big in his last few starts.

Buy this man a beer!

ondafarm
09-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Three modifications since yesterday:

1) Sox beat Angels

2) Liriano is gone for the season

3) Twins depart for a ten game road trip. They are less than .500 on the road.

My analysis: If the Sox take two of three from Oakland and then sweep the Tigers, we should be in first when we go to Minn for the last three games.

KC has been a better than .500 ball club the last month (judge them against us) I don't think the Tigers will sweep all 6 of their remaining games or that the Twins will automaticly take all four of their series either.

Freddy is in full stretch mode (he wants to be traded to a better team.)

The White Sox have a very good shot at winning the division and hosting Oakland in the ALDS.

spiffie
09-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Buy this man a beer!
:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

One beer for every out Freddy came from throwing a perfect game!

the gooch
09-14-2006, 10:33 AM
:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

One beer for every out Freddy came from throwing a perfect game!
This logic seems solid. I usually want to drink about 26 beers whenever buehrle starts a game for us.

infohawk
09-14-2006, 12:37 PM
I think there is a pretty good chance that Detroit could continue to absolutely collapse. I'm actually more confident about catching them than I am in catching the Twins. I'm not completely sold on the inevitability of the Sox needing two or three out of three during the last series with the Twins for a playoff spot. Maybe for the division, but not the wildcard. Wouldn't it be something if the Sox essentially "stole" the division in the last two or three days of the season, though? Here's to hoping it happens!!!:gulp:

Gregory Pratt
09-14-2006, 12:42 PM
Freddy is in full stretch mode (he wants to be traded to a better team.)

I'm under the impression that Freddy wants to stay in Chicago.

South Side Irish
09-14-2006, 01:28 PM
The White Sox have a very good shot at winning the division and hosting Oakland in the ALDS.

Would be great, of course.

However, I'd be much happier to beat out the Twins and keep them from hosting any series, espeically the potential ALCS. I've got a funny '87/'91 feeling that they won't lose a game there that means something. :angry:

When, again, does that new MN park get built?:bandance:

Hitmen77
09-14-2006, 04:10 PM
One of the things that worries me about the remaining schedule is that the Tigers and Twins each get to play the Orioles 3 times. The O's are terrible.

IMO, the Royals stand a better chance at winning against our rivals than do the Orioles.

hawkjt
09-14-2006, 04:31 PM
True to form , the tigers miss Eric Bedard who shut down the jays yesterday. I think the twins may get him tho.

At this point with a race this close- missing a stud hurler is a big bonus. We have not missed one all year, in contrast to last year.

Santana, Sabbathia,Rogers,- we must have seen them every series all year.