PDA

View Full Version : Coin toss

CHISOXFAN13
09-12-2006, 04:03 PM
We won both of them and would host the Twins or the Tigers if need be on Oct. 2.

cleanwsox
09-12-2006, 04:09 PM
The luck of the crazy green uniforms!

:bandance:

Flight #24
09-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Figures, just as the Sox begin the roll that will carry them to the uncontested division title, we win the coin flips for games that won't be necessary.

SaltyPretzel
09-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Is it for either a division or wild card tie?

kevingrt
09-12-2006, 04:12 PM
If there is a division tie and both teams are already in the playoffs then there is no playoff game. At least I do not believe so. Look at the Stros and Cards last year I believe they tied.

But what if all three teams tied, do we go for some type of three way cage match or something. That'd be cool.

Scottiehaswheels
09-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Is it for either a division or wild card tie?
Wild Card tie.... Division ties are determined by who has the winning record between the 2 teams...

Iwritecode
09-12-2006, 04:29 PM
If there is a division tie and both teams are already in the playoffs then there is no playoff game. At least I do not believe so. Look at the Stros and Cards last year I believe they tied.

But what if all three teams tied, do we go for some type of three way cage match or something. That'd be cool.

I believe that has something to do with the coin flips. Two teams will play a game to determine the division champ. The loser gets to play the third team for the WC spot.

SaltyPretzel
09-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Wild Card tie.... Division ties are determined by who has the winning record between the 2 teams...

Makes sense, thanks.

MarySwiss
09-12-2006, 04:35 PM

There was actually a discussion about this on the Tigers site. Somebody quoted a couple of rules, but they were as clear as mud, open to wide interpretation. Here's mine (now that we won both tosses):

The team that wins both tosses gets a "bye" and the other two teams have to play a twi-night doubleheader--in Australia. If there's a split; it comes down to a fast-pitch contest between each team's top four pitchers, who will each get to throw 25 fast balls to determine the winner. The winning team then must immediately board a flight for Chicago and are forced to sit in coach. The game against the Sox will be scheduled to begin one hour after the flight is due to arrive at O'Hare. In the unlikely event that the flight is late, the "neener-neener-neener" exception kicks in, and the White Sox are declared the winner.

The Immigrant
09-12-2006, 04:42 PM
In the case of a three-way tie, Ozzie Guillen, Jim Leyland and Ron Gardenhire will play a game of Roshambo in the Wiener Circle parking lot to determine the division winner. The coin flip means that Ozzie gets the first shot.

TDog
09-12-2006, 04:49 PM

But if thee were a tie in the NL Central, there would probably be a one-game playoff because the wild card isn't coming from that division. In fact, if the Angels or A's in second place have a better record than the AL Central first-place teams, there would have to be a playoff.

In baseball you don't get into the playoffs on tiebreakers.

Scottzilla
09-12-2006, 04:49 PM
In the case of a three-way tie, Ozzie Guillen, Jim Leyland and Ron Gardenhire will play a game of Roshambo in the Wiener Circle parking lot to determine the division winner. The coin flip means that Ozzie gets the first shot.

eww why would they be at the wiener circle. as if the rochambeau isnt enough to make you vomit..

soxfanatlanta
09-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Did Garland flip the coin? I bet he flipped it.

Lip, do you feel any better?

fusillirob1983
09-12-2006, 06:01 PM

"Cage matches? Yeah, they work. How could they not work? If they didnít work, everybody would still be in the cage." - Michael Scott

salty99
09-12-2006, 06:04 PM
here are the results

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060912&content_id=1658612&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

OOPS: ALready saw this posted.

Lip Man 1
09-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Atlanta:

Yes. I think that's a big factor with Detroit. Minnesota...not as much, they've won repeatedly at U.S. Cellular this year but I'd rather take my chances at home then in that goofy dome with the weird bounces.

Lip

JB98
09-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Sox at home vs. Detroit: 5-1
Sox at Detroit: 6-4

Sox at home vs. Minnesota: 4-5
Sox at Minnesota: 3-4

It is always better to have the home fans and the last at-bat in a one-game playoff situation.

I want Mags back
09-12-2006, 06:38 PM

Cardinals-100 wins

astros-not near that

23Ventura
09-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Last year, the Yankees and Red Sox tied, but because the loser of the division would still make the playoffs as the wild card, there was no need for a 1 game playoff, and the Yankees were declared the division champs because of they won the season series against Boston. However, if the loser of the division would not win the wild card, they would've played a one game playoff. So this year, assuming a central team wins the wild card, if the Sox tie with Detroit for the division lead, they win the division, but if they tie for Minnesota for the division, the Twins will win it, unless the Sox can win the season series vs. Minnesota. Any tie for the wild card will result in a playoff.

MarySwiss
09-12-2006, 07:20 PM
Last year, the Yankees and Red Sox tied, but because the loser of the division would still make the playoffs as the wild card, there was no need for a 1 game playoff, and the Yankees were declared the division champs because of they won the season series against Boston. However, if the loser of the division would not win the wild card, they would've played a one game playoff. So this year, assuming a central team wins the wild card, if the Sox tie with Detroit for the division lead, they win the division, but if they tie for Minnesota for the division, the Twins will win it, unless the Sox can win the season series vs. Minnesota. Any tie for the wild card will result in a playoff.

Yeah....but that does not address the unlikely--yet possible--scenario in which the Sox, Twinkies, & Kittens all tie for first after 162 games. In that case--based on where we are right now--head-to-head doesn't get it done. We own the Tigers. The Twins have the edge (9-7, I believe) on us--but then again, the last weekend could change that. The Tigers lead the Twins (11-8, I believe). So the issue is not What if two teams from the same division finish tied, but they both would make the playoffs? It's more like What if three teams finish tied, and only two of them can make the playoffs? Could be interesting.

But let's hope the Sox kick everyone's asses from here on and make sure it doesn't come to that. :D:

soxfanatlanta
09-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Atlanta:

Yes. I think that's a big factor with Detroit. Minnesota...not as much, they've won repeatedly at U.S. Cellular this year but I'd rather take my chances at home then in that goofy dome with the weird bounces.

Lip

I think the Twinks would be effected by playing ball outdoors at the end of the month, IMO. They get the cushy climate control in addition to their cushy bounces in Mn. Let's see how well they do outdoors in the 40's. Of course, I am assuming the weather will get significantlly colder in the upcoming weeks.

davenicholson
09-12-2006, 08:18 PM

http://southpark.xf.cz/cinema/epizody/roshambo2.jpg

Excellent!

chisoxfanatic
09-12-2006, 08:29 PM
I think the Twinks would be effected by playing ball outdoors at the end of the month, IMO. They get the cushy climate control in addition to their cushy bounces in Mn. Let's see how well they do outdoors in the 40's. Of course, I am assuming the weather will get significantlly colder in the upcoming weeks.

Cold weather won't settle in for a while yet. Don't forget it was in the mid-80s during the games in the ALDS. I was wearing shorts...Very comfortable. And, I doubt the weather effects the Twins.

BNLSox
09-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Are the Red Sox already mathematically eliminated? It seems strange to me that they weren't included in the coin flips.

Are the flips just for teams within a certain number of games of a spot?

As for the three way tie I think they look at the two teams with the best record in the division and they get to play for the division. The loser then plays the third team for the WC. I think...

slobes
09-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Did Garland flip the coin? I bet he flipped it.

Lip, do you feel any better?

The coin actually started in Cotts's hand, but the entire stadium started booing so Ozzie decided to pass the coin to Jon.

IlliniSox4Life
09-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Are the Red Sox already mathematically eliminated? It seems strange to me that they weren't included in the coin flips.

Are the flips just for teams within a certain number of games of a spot?

As for the three way tie I think they look at the two teams with the best record in the division and they get to play for the division. The loser then plays the third team for the WC. I think...

Not mathematically, but with 20 games left, they are trailing Min by 8 games. They would need to win 8 more games than Minn to tie it, and if Minn goes just 10-10, the Carmines would need to be 18-2.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Yeah....but that does not address the unlikely--yet possible--scenario in which the Sox, Twinkies, & Kittens all tie for first after 162 games. In that case--based on where we are right now--head-to-head doesn't get it done. :D:

Head-to-head is not used in that scenario. The playoff system used for a three-way tie in the same division in which two of the teams will advance -- one as the Division champ and one as the wild card, because all three have a better record than the second place team in either of the other divisions -- was published by MLB a few years back but I cannot find it right now. I dimly recall that it involved two games, with coins flips giving one team the choice of whether to take the bye and give up home field when it played the winner of the first game, and numerous other complications. If ties look at all likely after the Sox finish the DET series next week, we'll all hear more about it than we ever wanted to.

But that won't be necessary.