PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 9-13

Lip Man 1
09-12-2006, 01:39 PM
Britt Burns...these are for you!

September 13, 1967 - In one of the longest games in franchise history and in the middle of a four team pennant race, the Sox shut out Cleveland 1 - 0 in seventeen innings! (Now thatís pitching!) The game lasted over four and a half hours and was finally finished when Rocky Colavito singled to right driving home Buddy Bradford. One other note on this game. Sox starter Gary Peters allowed one hit in eleven innings, he also walked ten! (I wonder what his pitch count was!)

September 13, 1987 - In a game in Seattle, Sox pitcher Floyd Bannister fires a one hitter in winning 2 - 0. Harold Reynolds two out single to left in the 3rd inning, was the only base runner on the night for Seattle and ironically he was thrown out trying to stretch the hit to a double! Bannister faced the minimum 27 hitters and struck out ten.

September 13, 2004 - Due to Hurricane Ivan, Comiskey Park is host to the first two games of a series between Montreal and Florida. Itís the first time a National League team hosts a game in an American League park since 1946.

http://i24.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/03/06/40_1_b.JPG

Lip

batmanZoSo
09-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Pretty cool facts today. Some serious dealing on this date in history, so maybe the stars are aligned for Buehrle tonight. Although if history holds true, we probably won't hit much. :o:

I completely forgot about that Montreal/Florida game.

my5thbench
09-12-2006, 02:07 PM
how cruel to see two somebody elses play a playoff game in "our park"....the nerve of those national leaguers

hi im skot
09-12-2006, 02:13 PM
how cruel to see two somebody elses play a playoff game in "our park"....the nerve of those national leaguers

Playoff game?

It was regular season.

batmanZoSo
09-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Playoff game?

It was regular season.

You don't remember '04? That year, the playoff bracket was shaken up a bit to feature the two worst teams in the league playing the NLCS in early September at a random park. A regrettable idea to say the least.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brew/image/2001/selig1127.jpg
Hey, mistakes were made. Hindsight is 20/20. But at least I'm trying to make things happen.

Chez
09-12-2006, 02:50 PM
I remember going to the Expos v. Marlins game for two reasons: (1) so that I could say I was there (!) and (2) to root for the Marlins who, at the time were among the teams battling the Cubs for the NL wildcard. The crowd was about equally split between Cub fans cheering for the Expos and Sox fans cheering for the Marlins (because it would hurt the Cubs).

wilburaga
09-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Here's a case of a postseason game being hosted by a National League team in 'our park'.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B09050CHN1918.htm

w

p.s. I heard that Red Sox pitcher was a pretty good hitter.

jackbrohamer
09-12-2006, 03:19 PM
September 13, 1987 - In a game in Seattle, Sox pitcher Floyd Bannister fires a one hitter in winning 2 - 0. Harold Reynolds two out single to left in the 3rd inning, was the only base runner on the night for Seattle and ironically he was thrown out trying to stretch the hit to a double! Bannister faced the minimum 27 hitters and struck out ten. Lip

I remember watching that game on television in the Kingdome. I thought it boded well for the '88 Sox but he signed with the Royals and the next season was pretty much a disaster otherwise.

Britt Burns
09-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Britt Burns...these are for you!

Lip

Let me take my foot out of my mouth long enough to say, 'Thanks Lip!' Love this series, and looking forward to many, many more important September dates in Sox history!