PDA

View Full Version : Fan Value Index (Stadium rankings)

ChiSoxLifer
09-12-2006, 12:42 PM
Linky (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/09/11/fvi.summary/index.html)

This is an article summarizing which ballparks give the most bang for your buck. The much-maligned U.S. Cellular (or Comiskey to the purists) is ranked 8th in all of baseball. I went to the park for the first time in 3 years during my recent trip back to Chicago. It is now like the difference between night and day. It truly is an excellent park. For the Cubsessed, I'm sure you will rejoice in the Urinals ranking.

Domeshot17
09-12-2006, 12:51 PM
I agreed with the entire review except the neighborhood. My girlfriends parents live on 35th n marshfield. So we either use a parking pass on 37th and lowe and walk to the game, or if there is enough time and the weather is real nice we just do the entire walk. I dont think writers realize the changes the south side has undergone. Gone are the days of "locking your door" as you get off of I-55, and in are the days of some doctor giving you a high 5 from the porch of his 750,000 town home after a white sox winner.

DaveIsHere
09-12-2006, 01:22 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/09/11/fvi.summary/index.html?cnn=yes

Cell ranked number 8 and I believe on this page that is the Cell that is pictured!!!:D:

jenn2080
09-12-2006, 01:27 PM
I think Jacobs should be before Milwaukee. I dont like Domes. I cant believe Anaheim is first. Hmmmm I would say Petco is alot better then Anaheim.

Domeshot17
09-12-2006, 01:28 PM
theres a thread on this in whats the score, merge?

Twins Win
09-12-2006, 01:37 PM
I would have to put the Metrodome at the bottom. I don't care how well it scored in all the other areas. Just because its the Metrodome, it should be last. It's easily the worst park out there.

ChiSoxLifer
09-12-2006, 01:38 PM
I agreed with the entire review except the neighborhood. My girlfriends parents live on 35th n marshfield. So we either use a parking pass on 37th and lowe and walk to the game, or if there is enough time and the weather is real nice we just do the entire walk. I dont think writers realize the changes the south side has undergone. Gone are the days of "locking your door" as you get off of I-55, and in are the days of some doctor giving you a high 5 from the porch of his 750,000 town home after a white sox winner.

I thought about the same thing. When I was leaving the area, I couldn't believe how many nice and new homes have been built. They must've asked a cubs fan's opinion during the interleague series.

Baby Fisk
09-12-2006, 01:41 PM
The Minnesota Dumpydome is in the top 10? Only a bizarro ranking system devised by an idiot would put that dome in the top 10. I read that page twice and still can't see how it would have ranked favourably. Rogers Centre is a dump and I would still rank it higher than Minnesota.

skottyj242
09-12-2006, 01:58 PM

From my understanding, the article was all done based on a survey of fans. I know I took the survey, so we have nobody to blame but oursleves.

Myrtle72
09-12-2006, 02:29 PM
I'm a little sad that Camden (home of the Orioles) was not ranked higher. I really love that stadium.

Also, I am pleased to see that Wrigley is so far down, but given that this is a survey of the fans, I am suprised. I am assuming that there weren't as many Cubs fans as there were Sox fans who took the survey.

Scottzilla
09-12-2006, 02:36 PM
The reason that wrigley is ranked so far down is that it sucks.
The reason youre surprised is because wrigley is still the least suckiest thing about the cubs organization.

JohnBasedowYoda
09-12-2006, 02:42 PM
They misspelled "Fox"

HotelWhiteSox
09-12-2006, 02:53 PM
A decent review, not sure where they got all the quotes though, a few I don't agree with. Those afraid of heights might not like the upper deck, but the view does not 'stink', the view is great. And the neighborhood thing already mentioned.

Malgar 12
09-12-2006, 02:57 PM

Also the shower is not new.

HotelWhiteSox
09-12-2006, 02:57 PM
I just noticed the Metrodome is at #10, these things are a joke

WizardsofOzzie
09-12-2006, 03:04 PM
The cell is before Wrigley? That just can't be. Everyone knows Wrigley is the best place to see a ballgame in the world :rolleyes:

itsnotrequired
09-12-2006, 03:08 PM
The Minnesota Dumpydome is in the top 10? Only a bizarro ranking system devised by an idiot would put that dome in the top 10. I read that page twice and still can't see how it would have ranked favourably. Rogers Centre is a dump and I would still rank it higher than Minnesota.

I guess I really don't have a problem with the ranking. Remember, this is a fan VALUE index. A family can head to the ballpark for dirt cheap and still see a good team. The Devil Rays are an even better deal from a dollar standpoint (i.e. free parking) but the team sucks. Boston is way at the bottom in large part because of the unreal cost of tickets, concessions, etc.

Scottzilla
09-12-2006, 03:13 PM
It's really a survey of fans taken at the park. It is modled after a zagat survey. But people dont usually feel a sense of ownership to some restaurant.
So i think it really is a measure of "how happy fans are with their park"

also, notice how in the wrigley review, downtown is only 10 minutes away by El.

USCF is how far from downtown?

Baby Fisk
09-12-2006, 03:18 PM
I guess I really don't have a problem with the ranking. Remember, this is a fan VALUE index. A family can head to the ballpark for dirt cheap and still see a good team. The Devil Rays are an even better deal from a dollar standpoint (i.e. free parking) but the team sucks. Boston is way at the bottom in large part because of the unreal cost of tickets, concessions, etc.
Good points. Are you some sort of professional engineer or something?

WizardsofOzzie
09-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Good points. Are you some sort of professional engineer or something?

Nah, he just stayed at a Holiday Inn last night

maurice
09-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Geographically speaking, the Cell and the Urinal are almost exactly the same distance from the Loop. One is 3500 south and the other is 3600 north. They also are right off of the very same el line. However, it usually is faster to get downtown from the South Side, because there are fewer el stations per mile.

My favorite quote from the article:
"Don't stray from the park if you don't know the neighborhood -- you will get into trouble real quick." Perhaps a smarter move might be to "take the red line [El] train north someplace"
:rolleyes:

HotelWhiteSox
09-12-2006, 03:53 PM

It's true, I accidentally had one foot outside the parking lot the last time I went, let's just say I never saw that toe again

itsnotrequired
09-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Geographically speaking, the Cell and the Urinal are almost exactly the same distance from the Loop. One is 3500 south and the other is 3600 north. They also are right off of the very same el line. However, it usually is faster to get downtown from the South Side, because there are fewer el stations per mile.

Ah, but there are not 35 city blocks between Madison and 35th St. There is an 8 block gap going south. 35th St. is actually only 27 blocks south of Madison. As such, The Cell is a full mile closer to downtown in the N-S direction than Wrigley. Plus, The Cell is less than a half-mile west of State while Wrigley is a full two miles. As the crow flies, the Cell is a touch over 3.5 miles away while Wrigley is nearly 5 miles away.

PE

JohnBasedowYoda
09-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Ah, but there are not 35 city blocks between Madison and 35th St. There is an 8 block gap going south. 35th St. is actually only 27 blocks south of Madison. As such, The Cell is a full mile closer to downtown in the N-S direction than Wrigley. Plus, The Cell is less than a half-mile west of State while Wrigley is a full two miles. As the crow flies, the Cell is a touch over 3.5 miles away while Wrigley is nearly 5 miles away.

PE

Damn, dude from Rhinelander owned a guy from Bridgeport.

mccoydp
09-12-2006, 04:08 PM

That's funny, when I went to school at IIT from 1992-1993, I didn't have any problems with the neighborhood...walked to all of the games at New Comiskey. We used to walk to Bridgeport using 31st street all of the time, too.

MarySwiss
09-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Linky (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/09/11/fvi.summary/index.html)

This is an article summarizing which ballparks give the most bang for your buck. The much-maligned U.S. Cellular (or Comiskey to the purists) is ranked 8th in all of baseball. I went to the park for the first time in 3 years during my recent trip back to Chicago. It is now like the difference between night and day. It truly is an excellent park. For the Cubsessed, I'm sure you will rejoice in the Urinals ranking.

I was surprised Chase Field (bah! I mean BOB) ranked so low. It's actually a pretty nice park.

But I have to agree with you about the Cell. When I was there in May, that was the first time in the nine years since I left for Arizona. Although--IIRC--the view from the lower deck seats was always good, the overall atmosphere at the "new" park is amazing. (Of course winning a World Series probably didn't hurt!)

I may have to seriously consider a yearly trip back.

areilly
09-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Ah, but there are not 35 city blocks between Madison and 35th St. There is an 8 block gap going south. 35th St. is actually only 27 blocks south of Madison.

Where? I thought each of the x00 markers was accounted for and that the same distances applied in all directions:
100 Monroe
200 Adams
300 Jackson
400 Van Buren
500 Congress
600 Harrison
700 Balbo
800 - 900 8th & 9th
1000 Taylor
1100 11th
1200 Roosevelt
1300 - 2100 13th - 21st
2200 Cermak
2300 - 3500 23rd - 35th

I'd never heard of this...but then again, I live on the north side. :redneck

Scottzilla
09-12-2006, 04:15 PM
ya i was asking the question rhetorically.
is there a color for that?

anyway my point was that they mention wrigley being close to downtown and its just like they are piling on in regards to the wrigley is in a much better location deal.

TDog
09-12-2006, 04:18 PM
I think Jacobs should be before Milwaukee. I dont like Domes. I cant believe Anaheim is first. Hmmmm I would say Petco is alot better then Anaheim.

I've never been to Jacobs or Petco but I like Anaheim a lot. It's surrounded by parking instead of bars, width I prefer. Anaheim also is right of the freeway. I think it's a great choice for No. 1.

Milwaukee is a good value. I don't like the ballpark so much, but it has a retractable roof to keep the rain from washing out games.

Tropicana Stadium is a horrible, horrible place, but I do think it should have done better than one notch below Wrigley.

Scottzilla
09-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Where? I thought each of the x00 markers was accounted for and that the same distances applied in all directions:
100 Monroe
200 Adams
300 Jackson
400 Van Buren
500 Congress
600 Harrison
700 Balbo
800 - 900 8th & 9th
1000 Taylor
1100 11th
1200 Roosevelt
1300 - 2100 13th - 21st
2200 Cermak
2300 - 3500 23rd - 35th

I'd never heard of this...but then again, I live on the north side. :redneck

I heard of that before so i looked up evindence

http://www.chipublib.org/004chicago/timeline/stnumbers.html

I grew up on the north side too but im a big nerd.

maurice
09-12-2006, 04:28 PM
It's true that some of the low-numbered blocks on the S. Side are odd-length, but there's not an actual "gap." Plus, Wrigley is NOT remotely 2 miles west of State. It's only about 1000 W. or about 1 mile further west than the Cell. When you consider the actual measurements and plot it on a map, you'll find that the difference of the distances from State / Madison actually is about a mile "as the crow flies." In other words, the Cell is something like 20% closer. I apologize profusely for my serious transgression.

Law11
09-12-2006, 04:32 PM
"food at the Cell is among the best anywhere." Kosher dogs with grilled onions are "the best on the planet," popcorn in "delicious" and the corned-beef sandwich is "top notch." "I come here just to eat sometimes." Man, life is good when you're the reigning king of baseball, ain't it?

Good ol' Best's!!

areilly
09-12-2006, 04:34 PM
I heard of that before so i looked up evindence

http://www.chipublib.org/004chicago/timeline/stnumbers.html

I grew up on the north side too but im a big nerd.

Interesting.

I learn something new every time I read this board.

TDog
09-12-2006, 04:36 PM
I was surprised Chase Field (bah! I mean BOB) ranked so low. It's actually a pretty nice park.

But I have to agree with you about the Cell. When I was there in May, that was the first time in the nine years since I left for Arizona. Although--IIRC--the view from the lower deck seats was always good, the overall atmosphere at the "new" park is amazing. (Of course winning a World Series probably didn't hurt!)

I may have to seriously consider a yearly trip back.

I haven't been to the BOB since 1999 (before they Chased BOB out of Phoenix), but I can see why it might not be considered a value. Parking was a hassle and prices were high.

You can't enjoy a ballpark if you can't get to it, and going to see the Diamondbacks should be easier. Even McAfee (what they call the home of the A;s now) has a BART stop outside its door.

maurice
09-12-2006, 04:40 PM

You're correct that they're all accounted for, but the distance is not standard in this range. Some streets even "jog," so that the precise distance is not the same at all points along the street. (For example, 18th St. at Halsted.) Plus, the canal screws everything up, since the streets around there are often angled and pre-date the numbering system.

itsnotrequired
09-12-2006, 04:59 PM
It's true that some of the low-numbered blocks on the S. Side are odd-length, but there's not an actual "gap." Plus, Wrigley is NOT remotely 2 miles west of State. It's only about 1000 W. or about 1 mile further west than the Cell. When you consider the actual measurements and plot it on a map, you'll find that the difference of the distances from State / Madison actually is less than a mile "as the crow flies." In other words, the Cell is something like 20% closer. I apologize profusely for my serious transgression.

Doh, my bad on Wrigley's western distance. I keep thinking that it is 1600 when it is actually at 1060. So when I account for that distance change, it is inline with the 20% difference.

As far as the southern street numbering are concerned, I probably should have used a word other than "gap".

:hug:

maurice
09-12-2006, 05:02 PM
:hug:

Next time, I'll have my ruler handy before I hit "send."
:D:

gbergman
09-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Pretty good. Angel stadium is by far the best stadium in baseball. IT has everything for great values. Arty Moreno has done a great job.

INSox56
09-12-2006, 05:08 PM
I need to move to LA....JESUS. Gorgeous stadium and the average cost of tickets is 19 dollars?!?!?!?

gobears1987
09-12-2006, 05:11 PM
The cell is before Wrigley? That just can't be. Everyone knows Wrigley is the best place to see a ballgame in the world :rolleyes: What I love is that Fenway is #28

itsnotrequired
09-12-2006, 05:16 PM
What I love is that Fenway is #28

Note the prices on everything from tickets to food to souvenirs. Combine that with uncomfortable seats, obstructed views, no parking, etc. and you don't get much bang for your buck.

I'm still surprised that the Devil Rays are ranked as low as they are. If only they had a better team...

maurice
09-12-2006, 05:25 PM
We got a "5" and no credit for being close to downtown, Chinatown, etc. KC got a "6" with the following comments:
It's a good thing Kansas City is an easy city to traverse by car, because that will be the only thing you'll be going to after a game. Located in a parking lot next to the Chiefs' Arrowhead Stadium, Kauffman offers fans "an interstate, one hotel and a gas station."
They go on to say that you can drive to the Plaza or a BBQ place in a different neighborhood.

Milwaukee (similarly a park surrounded with nothing but parking spaces) gets a "7," because you can tailgate or drive to a different neighborhood.

Looks like this is the standard result for parks surrounded by lots, unless you're the Sox, Detroit, Atlanta, NY, Oakland, DC, or Miami. The descriptions for these cities is eerily similar to one another. In other words, the "neighborhood" ranking is based on a healthy dose of yuppie prejudices.

Detroit is a good example. It should rate much, much higher than KC or Milwauklee based on their stated criteria. Lots of entertainment and dining options near the park, especially since the Superbowl. Relatively safe in the immediate vicinity of the park, notwithstanding Detroit's general reputation. If you include the potential to hop on the Interstate and get back to yuppie utopia, it STILL should rate highly.

Scottzilla
09-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Pretty good. Angel stadium is by far the best stadium in baseball. IT has everything for great values. Arty Moreno has done a great job.

Rex Hudler is that you?

FedEx227
09-12-2006, 06:09 PM
I'm still surprised that the Devil Rays are ranked as low as they are. If only they had a better team...

Have you ever been there? Although under this scoring you would think they'd be a bit higher considering there average ticket price is probably $3, and theres PLENTLY of parking.

roylestillman
09-12-2006, 06:47 PM

PE

Exactly, and little known point. (Edit to clarify: Madison to Roosevelt = one mile. Roosevelt to Cermak = one mile, Cermak to 31st = one mile, from 31st Street on it returns to eight blocks a mile.) And the only way to get from downtown to WF in 10 minutes is to fly like a crow.

All in all I thought it was pretty much on the mark except that the HumpDome should be ranked 47th and Camden is way under-rated. I think their fans are just pisssed at the owner and are taking iit out on the survey

skobabe8
09-12-2006, 08:25 PM
Too bad that mostly positive article still makes the neighborhood around USCF sound like a war zone.

gaelhound
09-12-2006, 08:45 PM

PEA man who knows geometry, geography, baseball, and has a cast iron stomach. Heroic!:D:

GoSox2K3
09-12-2006, 09:18 PM
I'll say the same thing as many others. Whoever filled out this survey got things right on alot of good things about the Cell, but we're inexplicably held to a different standard than other parks. KC and Milw. get more points because of parking and tailgating. Wrigley's "plus" includes the option to go downtown while this is ignored at the Cell which is a shorter ride to downtown. :?:

Regarding the neighborhood comments, I think part of the problem is that alot of people just come down the Ryan to the Park, past those low-rise projects south of the park and into the parking lot. Unlike those of us who coming in from the west through Bridgeport, many are unaware of the boom going on around the Cell. The only change everyone should notice is the demolition of the housing projects east of the Ryan - but one high rise still remains there for now. I agree that these people are misinformed, but I can see why some people are totally unaware of how much Bridgeport is coming to life.

I think they totally missed the boat about the upper deck. There were always good seats in the UD and the place is dramatically improved by the new roof and removal of 1/3 of the seats.

Fenway
09-13-2006, 01:20 PM
THANK YOU

"Let's get this straight. Fenway is impossible to drive to, the seats are uncomfortable and/or obstructed and it costs a kidney -- or two -- to get in and eat. What, exactly, is the draw? Ah, yes, the history, the passion, the atmosphere of Fenway. But is that really worth more at Fenway than at any other park in the league? To the fans of Boston, who continually pack the place, it must be. And, truth be told, every student of the game should see the place at least once in his or her life. But to wring every last dollar from one of the majors' most loyal fan bases is not merely hard-nosed business, it borders on the unethical." -- Sports Illustrated Fan Value Index, The skinny on Fenway (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/09/11/fvi.redsox/index.html)

Lip Man 1
09-13-2006, 02:29 PM
This column dovetails with the stadium/neighborhood issue.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-060911mitchell,1,6127336.column?coll=cs-columnists

Lip

IronFisk
09-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Too bad that mostly positive article still makes the neighborhood around USCF sound like a war zone.

No kidding. Not only is Bridgeport rising in status, but they are building new, mixed-income homes with shopping on the former Robert Taylor grounds. As it is, the bias will continue until many fans actually "take the chance" and walk under the viaduct into the neighborhood. They are in for a pleasant surprise.

If the Sox/City of Chicago want to make a bold move in the neighborhood, they should lure investors to the immediate area by burying all the parking underground, and using the the existing lots for mixed-use developments. Yeah, pricey, but probably no more than good old Milennium Park.

The upper deck comments are old and stale. The new roof and concourse improvements make it VERY enjoyable. Sure, you're far up, but no farther than any of the current ballparks.

maurice
09-13-2006, 02:49 PM
I think part of the problem is that alot of people just come down the Ryan to the Park....Unlike those of us who coming in from the west through Bridgeport....

Good point. If they went West on 35th St only a few blocks, they might see the huge "new homes starting at $700K" sign.
:o:

35th&Shields
09-13-2006, 06:40 PM

People in Minnesota believe in "Minnesota Nice," which is that you never, ever say anything bad about anything. It's considered very poor taste to ever say anything bad about something, so that would explain the cultural reluctance to slam the Dome.

ws05champs
09-13-2006, 08:15 PM
As a former Chicago native now living in the 'burbs, I can understand their comments. I feel safe around the stadium and I like Bridgeport, but somebody from Iowa could get themselves into trouble with a few wrong turns.

ChiSoxLifer
09-13-2006, 09:38 PM
As a former Chicago native now living in the 'burbs, I can understand their comments. I feel safe around the stadium and I like Bridgeport, but somebody from Iowa could get themselves into trouble with a few wrong turns.

I guy from Iowa would get spooked in Schaumburg.

soxinem1
09-14-2006, 07:39 AM

I'll be honest with you. In almost every city, and near every stadium, The Urinal included, you have that issue. Seattle may be an exception. Plus, I have not seen the new construction anywhere else with a stadium like Bridgeport.

Maybe they should put a few of those 'New homes starting at 700K' signs by the off-ramps and stop the Bridgeport myth once and for all.

Hitmen77
09-14-2006, 04:52 PM
Good point. If they went West on 35th St only a few blocks, they might see the huge "new homes starting at $700K" sign.
:o:

http://www.bridgeportcommons.com/

Amazing that someone would build something so upscale in a neighborhood full of "vacant lots". Remember, "the Bronx has nothing on the South Side".

I noticed that this website doesn't even mention price, but I think this must be the $700k homes you are referring to.

maurice
09-14-2006, 05:03 PM
There are multiple developments that fit my description, but the specific sign I was referring to is on 35th / Parnell, IIRC. I think the development you linked is on 37th St. between Normal and the tracks. Others include 38th / Normal, 33rd / Racine, et al. A walk down Normal between 33rd and 37th gives you a pretty good idea about what's been going on.

These are all fairly new homes. Bronzeville (e.g., near 35th / Michigan) and Kenwood (e.g., near 43rd / Drexel) have some beautiful old mansions.

gbergman
09-14-2006, 05:08 PM
Rex Hudler is that you?

No, but if I was out of college or could afford to now I would get season tickets to the Angels games. I always enjoy myself there except when the White Sox lose. Pretty friendly place, it is easy to find what you need. Bathrooms are clean and no waits. Food is reasonable for a stadium. Plus no views are obstructed except for right field upper mvp because of the higher wall in right. Plus the 57, 5, 91 and 22 freeways are right there.

asindc
09-15-2006, 06:32 PM
I'm a little sad that Camden (home of the Orioles) was not ranked higher. I really love that stadium.

I agree. With all due respect to Comiskey, Camden is the best place to see a baseball game that I've been to. List of parks I've been to:

Comiskey (old)
Comiskey (new)
Camden
Jacobs
Coors
Yankee
Memorial (Balt.)
RFK and
Wrigley.

BTW, the only saving grace for RFK is that everyone knows it's a temp home. Can't believe how badly the place has fallen apart.