PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland GM breaks it down

Fenway
09-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Fairly objective look at the 3 team race

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006609120400

Sox-o-matic
09-12-2006, 11:41 AM
"The bullpen was floundering and overworked heading into Monday. It gave up 15 earned runs in the four-game weekend series with Cleveland."

Bullpen = Bull****

If someone would have told me on opening day that the Sox would replace Cliff Politte with Mike MacDougal and replace Boone Logan with David Riske, I would have said this bullpen would be the most unstoppable force in the history of major league bullpens. Instead, we get the above stat.

DSpivack
09-12-2006, 12:17 PM
"The bullpen was floundering and overworked heading into Monday. It gave up 15 earned runs in the four-game weekend series with Cleveland."

Bullpen = Bull****

If someone would have told me on opening day that the Sox would replace Cliff Politte with Mike MacDougal and replace Boone Logan with David Riske, I would have said this bullpen would be the most unstoppable force in the history of major league bullpens. Instead, we get the above stat.

It seems like the pen was solid was the starters were struggling, and now the pen is struggling while the starters seem to be good again. Ugh. Baseball is an up-and-down sport. Thing is, Cliff and Cotts (and Hermanson) had not only career years last year, but pretty unbelievable seasons; quite possibly the three best relievers in baseball last year. Viz and Marte were above-average, too. Cotts isn't even that bad this year (just looked at his numbers, he is pretty bad), but any pitcher would be hard-pressed to repeat last year's dominance. McCarthy is as bad or worse as Cotts, Jenks solid, Riske is alright, Thornton is good, and Macdougal is looking like our best RP.

Domeshot17
09-12-2006, 12:25 PM
I think its just funny how we really have no idea what our strengths and weaknesses are.

like the tigers: are they for real, you know the pen is good, the rotation was solid, but the offense is dying

the twins we know the injuries are a killer, the pen is very good, but their offense is so soft they should be shutdown sometimes

but with us whats up? our pitching is a killer, but pen to rotation we are loaded. Our lineup is inconsistent, but we are a top 3 offensive team in most major categories. Our manager is a little crazy, but atleast he doesnt drive around naked in cars.

the bottom line is we have been waiting all year for this team to go on a run. all year people on this board have been saying this team will get hot, the pitching will turn around the bullpen will be fine. We dont need a starter or another set up guy, we are fine. Well with 18-20 games left depending on which team is playing, The Whitesox are basically at put up or shut up mode.

batmanZoSo
09-12-2006, 12:29 PM
The Twins are 59-26 since early June and are feeling good about themselves. "They have the momentum and great mojo," Shapiro said.

That's .694 ball for well over half the year, in other words ridiculous. They're overdue. I still believe they will hit the skids at some point before the season is over, if for no other reason it makes me feel better. But I'm sticking to that.

DSpivack
09-12-2006, 12:35 PM
That's .694 ball for well over half the year, in other words ridiculous. They're overdue. I still believe they will hit the skids at some point before the season is over, if for no other reason it makes me feel better. But I'm sticking to that.

Yeah right, just like the people who said the Tigers would struggle at some point.

Baby Fisk
09-12-2006, 12:39 PM
The stars are lining up lusciously:

- Tigs are in mid-skid which could blow them out of the post-season
- Twins are due to hit a skid which could blow them out of the post-season
- Sox are due to kick it into HIGH GEAR and roar into the division lead just in time for October baseball

batmanZoSo
09-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Yeah right, just like the people who said the Tigers would struggle at some point.

We waited and waited but it did come as they're on a nifty 10-22 run. Of course we stunk for so long that by the time the Tigers slide came, they were no longer our biggest problem.

But it happened with Detroit--big time. They're paying for that .670 ball they played April through July. The Twins are basically at the end of an equally impressive run and at this point in the year, all it takes is one 5 game losing streak to send you home for the long winter. It's mostly wishful thinking, but I don't think it would be fair if they got to play over their heads all year while we underachieve the entire year. Things must balance out; the Twins will pay--in blood. :mg:

http://www.geocities.com/whs_redwolf_jrotc/wolf_angry_.jpg
Twins turn me on.

DSpivack
09-12-2006, 12:52 PM
We waited and waited but it did come as they're on a nifty 10-22 run. Of course we stunk for so long that by the time the Tigers slide came, they were no longer our biggest problem.

But it happened with Detroit--big time. They're paying for that .670 ball they played April through July. The Twins are basically at the end of an equally impressive run and at this point in the year, all it takes is one 5 game losing streak to send you home for the long winter. It's mostly wishful thinking, but I don't think it would be fair if they got to play over their heads all year while we underachieve the entire year. Things must balance out; the Twins will pay--in blood. :mg:

http://www.geocities.com/whs_redwolf_jrotc/wolf_angry_.jpg
Twins turn me on.

While I'm not a believer in an inevitable cold streak (or in an inevitable hot streak Sox fans have been waiting for all year), I'm worried the Twins got it of of their system in April and May.

soxfanatlanta
09-12-2006, 12:53 PM
[quote=Baby Fisk;1342252]The stars are lining up lusciously:

Nice alliteration, but you should have done something like:

For the Sox - the luminaries are lusciously aligned

:wink:

All hack poetry aside, my friend described it perfectly, "We are on the verge of something great, or something catastrophic"

Here's hoping for option A :gulp:

downstairs
09-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Fairly good article and analysis from Shapiro. I think he's right on about all three teams.

I'm sick of hearing this "due for a slide" and "due for a run" junk. No one is "due". It just doesn't ever happen that way. The Sox have been "due for a run" since May. The Tigers "due for a slide" since June... and that slide only started a month ago.

I think its going to be a battle, with most of these three teams going pretty darn near .500. Sorry, that's just more likely. In the end it'll come down to 1-2 games separating each of them.

No one is leaving this race, and no one is clinching anything before the last weekend. Book it.

skottyj242
09-12-2006, 01:12 PM
That article didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-12-2006, 02:07 PM

The Twins season is just like Cleveland's last year, so far. Here's hoping it finishes like Clevelands :gulp: .

batmanZoSo
09-12-2006, 02:40 PM
The Twins season is just like Cleveland's last year, so far. Here's hoping it finishes like Clevelands :gulp: .

Exactly. It took Cleveland until the last week to tank it, but boy did they ever. It happens.

Believe whatever you want, people. I believe the Twins will get their lunch.

jenn2080
09-12-2006, 02:47 PM
Fairly objective look at the 3 team race

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006609120400

captain obvious this guy is!

chisoxfanatic
09-12-2006, 06:44 PM

While I really want the Twins out of the playoff chase, I see Detroit falling off here. Kansas City is miserable and has been making other's lives' miserable in the process. They're gonna continue this trend and put a hurting on the Tigers (even without Teahen--they do have some feisty young talent there). I already see it happening.

TheOldRoman
09-12-2006, 08:28 PM
captain obvious this guy is!
What else would you expect from the reigning GM of the year?!