PDA

View Full Version : This is going to be intersting!

GregoryEtc
09-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Let's soak in for a second what's happening here. The Sox are in the middle of one of the greatest division races in recent memory.

With the Sox win last night and Oakland's loss, 3 of the top 4 teams in the AL are in the Central. Heck, 3 of the top 5 teams in the MLB are in the AL Central! 3 games separate 1st and 3rd with 7 games left with the teams in front of us!

There will be three 90 win teams in the Central and one won't make the playoffs. The way things look now, it's probably the Tigers. All indications are they just don't have the steam. They've been leaning pretty hard on young pitching all season (with the exception of Old Man Rogers, who is historically a first half pitcher anyway) and it appears to be taking its toll.

Although, if the Tigers can hang around until that last weekend, they may squeak in if either the Sox or the Twins sweep that last series in MIN.

This is really shaping up to be one of the more exciting races since the introduction of the 3 division format. I'm glad our Sox are a part of it.

Now let's win this thing!!!!!!!!

Unregistered
09-12-2006, 10:34 AM
The Sox seriously need to think about winning every game they play for the rest of the season. .500 ball isn't gonna cut it. It's time for that patented "stride" we've all been waiting for...

spiffie
09-12-2006, 10:37 AM
There will be three 90 win teams in the Central and one won't make the playoffs. The way things look now, it's probably the Tigers. All indications are they just don't have the steam. They've been leaning pretty hard on young pitching all season (with the exception of Old Man Rogers, who is historically a first half pitcher anyway) and it appears to be taking its toll.
The only thing that has saved the Tigers from already being out of first is that Rogers has been lights out the last month and a half, after a couple awful starts at the end of July. Since August 1 he is 4-1, with the Tigers going 5-2 in his starts, and he's had an ERA of 1.91. That was definitely a damn good move by the Tigers signing him this offseason, as they are 21-7 in games he starts. The rest of the rotation is 65-51, and the .560 winning percentage that entails would have them 3rd in the division.

cbotnyse
09-12-2006, 10:40 AM
every game is a playoff game here on out.

Baby Fisk
09-12-2006, 10:42 AM
My buddy the Tigers fan is going to require grief counselling in a few more weeks. His team didn't play last night and their lead still shrank.

He and I both have an awful feeling that of the three AL Central leaders, Minnesota will be one of the teams that make the playoffs. So will it be the season-long runaway division leaders who collapse and crash out, or the defending world champions who collapse and crash out? It's going to be a brutal end to the season for one of us. :(:

I will try to console him as best as possible when the bitter end comes.

Agreed with unregistered and cbotnyse: this team needs to open up a can of CONSISTENCY and get a long win streak going. Come on you White Sox!

0o0o0
09-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Ugh. I just saw that the Tigers play the ****ing Orioles this weekend. God they're bad.

spiffie
09-12-2006, 10:45 AM
My buddy the Tigers fan is going to require grief counselling in a few more weeks. His team didn't play last night and their lead still shrank.

He and I both have an awful feeling that of the three AL Central leaders, Minnesota will be one of the teams that make the playoffs. So will it be the season-long runaway division leaders who collapse and crash out, or the defending world champions who collapse and crash out? It's going to be a brutal end to the season for one of us. :(:

I will try to console him as best as possible when the bitter end comes.

Agreed with unregistered and cbotnyse: this team needs to open up a can of CONSISTENCY and get a long win streak going. Come on you White Sox!
Hell, I don't need a long winning streak. There are 18 games left. I would settle for taking 2 out of every 3 remaining. That would get us to 95 wins. I think 95 wins, if we could take 2 of 3 from both DET and MIN, would get us a playoff spot.

rdwj
09-12-2006, 10:55 AM
The Tigers have a pretty easy schedule for the rest of the year - it's going to be very difficult for the Sox to catch them. And with the way the Twins are playing, that's pretty much our best shot at the post-season.

I'm still hopeful, but we haven't exactly been playing great ball and we've got some tough teams to play. Sure would be nice to have some more Ws against BAD teams

35th&Shields
09-12-2006, 10:59 AM
The Sox seriously need to think about winning every game they play for the rest of the season. .500 ball isn't gonna cut it. It's time for that patented "stride" we've all been waiting for...

To me it looks like they've been building up to that stride - nows the time to hit it. It's now or never. There's a good chunk of games to go with 3 games each against both the Twins and Tigers. Our fate is in our own hands.

Sox-o-matic
09-12-2006, 11:05 AM
Ugh. I just saw that the Tigers play the ****ing Orioles this weekend. God they're bad.

They also have to play us and they also have to play Toronto. Besides, maybe Bedard starts one of those games and shuts them down. Also, they have to play KC as well and even though KC has been beaten up by the Tiggs a lot so far, I like the KC lineup and pitching staff a lot more now than at the beginning of the season with Odalis Perez and Ryan Shealy in it.

GregoryEtc
09-12-2006, 11:09 AM
To me it looks like they've been building up to that stride - nows the time to hit it. It's now or never. There's a good chunk of games to go with 3 games each against both the Twins and Tigers. Our fate is in our own hands.

I feel like the Sox pitchers (at least the starters) have been gearing up the last few weeks. We saw last year during the playoffs that our starters can carry this team. The last couple weeks, we've seen what our starters are capable of. They're not tired, just a little inconsistant (Yeah, I'm looking at you MARK!). This is a playoff atmosphere. I think our playoff experience will pay off over the next couple weeks.

Chicken Dinner
09-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Although it will be a very exciting finish, the Sox are still the team on the outside looking in. You can't say that the Tigers are not going to win the division until someone pushes them off the top of the hill.

0o0o0
09-12-2006, 11:18 AM
They also have to play us and they also have to play Toronto. Besides, maybe Bedard starts one of those games and shuts them down. Also, they have to play KC as well and even though KC has been beaten up by the Tiggs a lot so far, I like the KC lineup and pitching staff a lot more now than at the beginning of the season with Odalis Perez and Ryan Shealy in it.

Yeah I know. But the Orioles just seem like the one team that the Tigers can actually beat at this point. Hope I'm wrong.

sox1970
09-12-2006, 11:21 AM

Detroit will miss Bedard. Penn, Benson, Cabrera. The makeup game at Baltimore next week will be Benson. Looks like they will face Chacin, Halladay, and Lilly the last week. I'm hoping the Jays can help us out.

Dan H
09-12-2006, 11:36 AM

Winning every game isn't realistic but you have the right idea. No more scoreboard watching. The White Sox are still world champions, and they have to ask themselves: Do they want to defend this championship or not? I think they have to win at least 12 out of their last 18. Anything less than that and they will be staying home in October. The biggest question mark right now is Buehrle. Starting tonight he has to step it up. If he can't, the Sox will be in big trouble. They can't afford to lose every game Buehrle pitches.

batmanZoSo
09-12-2006, 11:38 AM

That's right. This team just needs to put together a winning streak. **** California--I hope we win all six on this trip. If we do have a great trip, we might set ourselves up for being able to tie or eclipse Detroit with a series win next week. With the way Detroit is playing, it's very possible. The thing is it's just getting late all around and you can't count on Detroit being this bad forever.

hawkjt
09-12-2006, 11:42 AM
MB just has to have a good game tonite. Santana is virtually unbeatable at home( just like his namesake in minny) and we only will win if we shut them down. The angels offense has been as bad as ours lately so MB has to step up.

We believe in you, MB!!! Please come thru.

Sox-o-matic
09-12-2006, 11:45 AM
That's right. This team just needs to put together a winning streak. **** California--I hope we win all six on this trip. If we do have a great trip, we might set ourselves up for being able to tie or eclipse Detroit with a series win next week. With the way Detroit is playing, it's very possible. The thing is it's just getting late all around and you can't count on Detroit being this bad forever.

I hate to say it, but I personally think Oakland is a better team than the Yankees, a better team than Minnesota, Detroit, or Boston, basically in my view they are the second best team in the AL behind the White Sox. I thought that on opening day and I still think it now, it is just that both our Sox and the A's have played poorly at times when they should have been dominant. I'd be ecstatic with 2 out of 3 from them abecause as I just said, regardless of record they are the second best team in baseball.

slavko
09-12-2006, 11:51 AM
If this were a horse race, I'd say that they were at the top of the stretch, the speed is staggering, the chaser has been headed by the late runner and there's a furlong to go. The only trouble is that it's not a horse race.

This is so much more fun if you aren't thinking of an 88 year drought.

Baby Fisk
09-12-2006, 11:54 AM
This is so much more fun if you aren't thinking of an 88 year drought.
Definitely. This race is a blast and far less personally draining. I was a friggin psycho this time last season.

DSpivack
09-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Definitely. This race is a blast and far less personally draining. I was a friggin psycho this time last season.

Can you imagine if this race was last year? IMHO this year is worse than last, in terms of being a bit back in a three-team dogfight with each team among the best in baseball, being worse than trying to stem off a team charging in back of you. Since we're defending champs...it's not so bad now. :cool::tongue:

Jerko
09-12-2006, 12:04 PM
I don't know. I was nuts last year, but this year is really wearing on me. It's like I'm not in the mood for a game anymore unless it's a playoff game or the start of next year, yet I look forward every day to first pitch. I dread the games, yet I look forward to them just to get it over with so I can know if they won or lost. Kinda like when I was a kid and I KNEW I was gonna get in trouble for something; I didn't want it to happen, but waiting for it sucked and I wanted it over ASAP. That's how this season is for me right now. A nice winning streak will cure all.
:cool:

batmanZoSo
09-12-2006, 12:05 PM
I hate to say it, but I personally think Oakland is a better team than the Yankees, a better team than Minnesota, Detroit, or Boston, basically in my view they are the second best team in the AL behind the White Sox. I thought that on opening day and I still think it now, it is just that both our Sox and the A's have played poorly at times when they should have been dominant. I'd be ecstatic with 2 out of 3 from them abecause as I just said, regardless of record they are the second best team in baseball.

It would be nice then if they could help us out a little bit by beating the Twins. If they could win the last two in the Dome that would be huge. After that, Minnesota goes on the road for 10. This division could be ripe for the taking with a hot streak on our end.

WS in 05
09-12-2006, 12:07 PM
MB really needs to step it up tonight and carry that over to his next start which looks to be Monday vs. Det. Followed by Garcia and Garland.

What we really need is that competition between themselves that this guys had last year in there starts....It seemed like when one guy threw a shutout the next the next guy would try to do better in a playful competition.

MarySwiss
09-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Last year was crazy and this year is crazy, too--just in a different way.

All I know is, I like being able to say my Sox are World Series Champs, and I am not ready to give that up yet, so they'd better dammit win. :cool:

PorkChopExpress
09-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Detroit will miss Bedard. Penn, Benson, Cabrera. The makeup game at Baltimore next week will be Benson. Looks like they will face Chacin, Halladay, and Lilly the last week. I'm hoping the Jays can help us out.

I thought Halladay was out for the rest of the season. No help there.

Baby Fisk
09-12-2006, 12:51 PM
I thought Halladay was out for the rest of the season. No help there.
According to the Toronto Star, Halladay might start on Friday despite stiffness in his elbow.

WisSoxFan
09-12-2006, 01:24 PM
I look forward every day to first pitch. I dread the games, yet I look forward to them just to get it over with so I can know if they won or lost.

That's exactly how I feel. I can't wait to watch the games, but I can't watch the games. Last night I kept flipping it back to the History channel to watch one of their 9/11 shows. I'd watch the History channel until it went to commercial and then I would flip over to the Sox to see the score. I finally stopped to watch the bottom of the ninth. It was all I could muster. I think I startled my wife when I gave the fist pump in bed after the double play.:o:

These 9:00 pm starts are killing my productivity during my work day.:rolleyes:

MadetoOrta
09-12-2006, 01:47 PM

No doubt. I still feel the team has substantially under-performed but with the 2005 World Series in my pocket, I can live with whatever happens.

Myrtle72
09-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Last year was crazy and this year is crazy, too--just in a different way.

All I know is, I like being able to say my Sox are World Series Champs, and I am not ready to give that up yet, so they'd better dammit win. :cool:

Hey, you will always be able to say that the Sox are the 2005 World Series Champs!

Myrtle72
09-12-2006, 01:55 PM

I bet Tigers fans are freggin' psycho just about now.

IronFisk
09-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Don't go crazy and speculate, just ride it through. We have 3 against both the Tigers and Twins, and a whole bunch of questions in between. Baseball is the funniest game there is - I wouldn't be surprised if we actually won this division when it's all said and done - nor would I if we are eliminated.

One game at a time people!!!

Myrtle72
09-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Don't go crazy and speculate, just ride it through. We have 3 against both the Tigers and Twins, and a whole bunch of questions in between. Baseball is the funniest game there is - I wouldn't be surprised if we actually won this division when it's all said and done - nor would I if we are eliminated.

One game at a time people!!!

I agree that we could end up in first or third and I wouldn't be suprised either way, but I think half the fun of the game is to speculate about whats going to happen. I mean, look at 90% of the threads on this foum, they're pretty much all speculation in some form or another about what's going to happen with the Sox and the players and other teams, etc. It is our duty as fans to speculate and discuss whats going to happen!:tongue:

wmc
09-12-2006, 02:27 PM

It certainly is getting late... The twins have Santana/Liriano set up to start 8 of their final 19 games. Assuming that Liriano returns and pitches as well as before, the twins will most likely win all 8 of those games. Selected other games in which neither of Santana/Liriano will pitch: 3 vs. CLE, 3 vs. KC, 2 vs. BAL. It wouldn't be a stretch to assume that the twins will win 4 of those games. So that puts the twins at 96-66.

Detroit has 18 games left to play: 4 vs. BAL, 6 vs. KC, 3 vs. TOR, 2 vs. TEX, and 3 vs. the Sox. If they go .500 over this stretch, that puts the tigers at 95-67.

We have 18 games left, and we are currently at 83-61. We will almost certainly need to win 12 of 18, finishing 95-67, to have a chance. Since we will be facing both Santana and Liriano the final weekend in MIN, it would be best to not need to win either of those games. So we need to get 11 wins out of the other 16 games of 2 vs. LAA, 3 vs. OAK, 3 vs. DET, 3 vs. CLE, 4 vs. SEA, 1 vs. MIN.

I think we can do it: 1/2 vs. LAA, 2/3 vs. OAK, 2/3 vs. DET, 2/3 vs. CLE, 4/4 vs. SEA, and 1/1 vs. MIN. If we can beat either Santana or Liriano that last weekend, then we may be able to eliminate the tigers or the twins!

Lets go!!!!!

Flight #24
09-12-2006, 02:42 PM
It starts tonight (OK, it really started last night). By the time the Sox start, they'll be 2.5 out because the Rangers are going to "win one for the cameraman" and take it to Kenny Rogers. The Sox will get a solid start out of Buehrle and win another close game with strong relief from the usual suspects (Thornton-McDougal-Jenks).

That and the new .5 game deficit for the Twins will clinch up the Tiggers keisters, and they'll get shut out tomorrow, dropping to 2d in the division with the Sox a mere game behind after completing the Anaheim sweep.

Both teams will lose on Friday, then the Sox will win Sat with the Tiggers going down. Looking ahead to the series in Chicago and being ****-scared of starting that even, they'll choke even harder and lose Sunday with the Sox winning to bring them even.

Sweep by the Sox to start next week and that's all she wrote for the felines.

You heard it here first.:bandance:

spiffie
09-12-2006, 03:03 PM
It certainly is getting late... The twins have Santana/Liriano set up to start 8 of their final 19 games. Assuming that Liriano returns and pitches as well as before, the twins will most likely win all 8 of those games. Selected other games in which neither of Santana/Liriano will pitch: 3 vs. CLE, 3 vs. KC, 2 vs. BAL. It wouldn't be a stretch to assume that the twins will win 4 of those games. So that puts the twins at 96-66.

Liriano is not going to be the same pitcher at first. Not in terms of his stuff. He might not give up a hit. But...

Francisco Liriano threw the ball great, manager Ron Gardenhire reports, in his final minor league rehab start, and now Liriano is penned in to start against Oakland on Wednesday; Liriano will be on a pitch count of about 60.
At best he's probably giving them 5 innings. I would doubt he would be able to go to 100 until his last start of the year. So yeah, it helps them, but he's not 4 guaranteed wins.

Lip Man 1
09-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Consider the Twins bullpen though in his starts. They have been doing a great job imitating the Sox 2005 pen.

Lip

Trav
09-13-2006, 07:38 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it would be much more exciting if there was only one playoff spot available? The Tigers' announcers just mentioned that all they have to do is finish ahead of one of those two teams (Sox,Twins).

For the people that remember what a real pennant race is, is this the closet thing to that since the WC started? Is this more or less exciting than some pennant races that Sox have been in?

TDog
09-13-2006, 07:55 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it would be much more exciting if there was only one playoff spot available? The Tigers' announcers just mentioned that all they have to do is finish ahead of one of those two teams (Sox,Twins).

For the people that remember what a real pennant race is, is this the closet thing to that since the WC started? Is this more or less exciting than some pennant races that Sox have been in?

I don't remember 1967, but when you had 40 percent of the AL fighting for a spot in the World Series the last week in the season, there had to be more excitement than having 60 percent of one division fighting for two berths in the postseason tournament.

I also don't remember 1964, but between the Phillies collapse that led to a three-team race to make the World Series and the White Sox and Yankees tight at the end, that had to be a better pennant race than what you have now.

But with 30 teams, a wild cards artificially keep more teams in the race.

Lip Man 1
09-13-2006, 07:59 PM
Trav:

Before baseball went into divisions, wild cards and expanded playoffs the races when they came were more exciting. 1964 was a fabulous one, 1967 was utterly amazing. The fact that the Sox were in both and lost out heartbreakingly in both only added to the mystic. (sorry if the spelling is wrong...)

Remember back in the day, you win the league, the World Series is yours, no if's, and's, or but's.

Lip