PDA

View Full Version : My 2007 plan

Whitesox4ever
09-12-2006, 10:05 AM
I would trade Garcia, Uribe, Pods and Mackowiak to fill some of our needs and get a few top prospects

Than I would use the money that we saved and sign Torrii Hunter to play CF and than would sign Gary Matthews to play LF.

Than I would trade Ryan Sweeney to the Devil Rays for BJ Upton to be our SS that would add more speed to our lineup.

I would sign Gary Bennett to be our backup C

What would your 2007 plans include

jenn2080
09-12-2006, 10:11 AM
I would trade Garcia, Uribe, Pods and Mackowiak to fill some of our needs and get a few top prospects

Than I would use the money that we saved and sign Torrii Hunter to play CF and than would sign Gary Matthews to play LF.

Than I would trade Ryan Sweeney to the Devil Rays for BJ Upton to be our SS that would add more speed to our lineup.

didnt Lip start a thread on this order last week?

0o0o0
09-12-2006, 10:17 AM

Than I would use the money that we saved and sign Torrii Hunter to play CF and than would sign Gary Matthews to play LF. What would your 2007 plans include

My 2007 plans would include Brian Anderson starting in CF.

Frater Perdurabo
09-12-2006, 10:23 AM
My 2007 plans would include Brian Anderson starting in CF.

Mine too.

spiffie
09-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Defending our 2006 World Series title. No deep pink allowed!

Whitesox4ever
09-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Anderson would be my 4th OF..

jenn2080
09-12-2006, 10:28 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78460

here is the thread that is basically the same thing just worded differently.

BanditJimmy
09-12-2006, 10:28 AM
The deep thoughts link was price-less!

Kub_Killer_15
09-12-2006, 10:33 AM

Torii Hunter is alot of money. I wouldn't want him to get a ring anyway. How about Jim Edmonds:tongue:

Heffalump
09-12-2006, 10:38 AM

I like the enthusiasm, but I don't think we are in rebuilding mode just yet. No need to trade starters and valuable bench guys for a bunch of prospects in my opinion.

I agree that Garcia is probably gone in order to open up a spot for McCarthy in the rotation. Hopefully we get something usefull for him.

The odds that Pods will also be gone are good. However, even though '06 Pods has not been anywhere close to '05 Pods, you don't really present another viable leadoff alternative. Matthews is having a career year and may not repeat it again. plus, he doesn't exactly have a huge on base % compared to Pods.

I would love to have Torii Hunter, but I think it is unrealistic. What do you do with BA then? KW and OG are obviously grooming him to be the everyday centerfielder.

Yes, Uribe has not been that great this year. But (1) he is still an excellent defensive SS. (2) BJ Upton, while he has lots of potential, is unproven. I don't start an inexperienced SS for a WS contending team.

Mack is a GREAT asset to have off the bench. Unless you are getting some kind of steal, you keep him (OG just needs to use him correctly).

Gary Bennett? WHY ? Becuase he is from Waukegan? No thanks

Gavin
09-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Please no more Brian Anderson in 2007...

Chips
09-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Trading Neal Cotts for a bag of balls.

rdwj
09-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Please much more Brian Anderson in 2007...

There - fixed it for you

spiffie
09-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Torii Hunter is alot of money. I wouldn't want him to get a ring anyway. How about Jim Edmonds:tongue:
Only if they have changed the rules to allow a guy to use a motorized wheelchair in the OF, because Edmonds is more broken down than the Bluesmobile.

0o0o0
09-12-2006, 10:47 AM

:rolleyes: Sometimes players go through this phase that's described as "improvement."

Do you really expect BA to hit in the low .200's next year?

jenn2080
09-12-2006, 10:49 AM
There - fixed it for you

here here! :gulp: Brian Anderson has been awesome in CF. He is 23 with plenty more time for improvement. The kid is a rookie give him a break! He is batting 229 which is still a hell of alot better then what he was batting before the All Star break.

Britt Burns
09-12-2006, 10:53 AM
Sweeney for Upton? I'm sure the Rays would go for that...maybe make them throw Crawford in on the deal as well...

Deuce
09-12-2006, 10:57 AM

Let's see, BA has hit .313 in July and .296 in August, is outstanding in the outfield, doesn't cost the team much money, is only a rookie (which usually means he will only improve) and is a good guy in the locker room.

Boy, we need to get rid of that guy pronto! Someone call Royce Clayton and see if he would be willing to play center.

Deuce

rdwj
09-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Let's see, BA has hit .313 in July and .296 in August, is outstanding in the outfield, doesn't cost the team much money, is only a rookie (which usually means he will only improve) and is a good guy in the locker room.

Boy, we need to get rid of that guy pronto! Someone call Royce Clayton and see if he would be willing to play center.

Deuce

Quit using actual stats! It's OBVIOUS that Brian is at fault for the way this team has played since the AS break!

jenn2080
09-12-2006, 11:02 AM
Quit using actual stats! It's OBVIOUS that Brian is at fault for the way this team has played since the AS break!

cant wait to see all the Brian haters with his jersey in about 2 yrs. That is if he is still on the team.

Whitesox4ever
09-12-2006, 11:03 AM
from today trib

Guillen is hoping to find possibly two solid outfielders to go along with Dye for next season.
Guillen made that evident on Monday, declaring that both left field and center field are open competitions for 2007.

It sounds like Ozzie isn't to thrill having Anderson as a starter so my plan of signing Hunter and Matthews would be exactly what this team is looking for

Frater Perdurabo
09-12-2006, 11:13 AM
I would not want Hunter on the Sox. Period. Especially given the price he will command.

I would love to have someone like Gary Matthews, Jr. patrolling left field next to Anderson. This would give the Sox the best defensive OF in the majors. He may be having a career year at the plate, but he's handled the large CF at Ameriquest with relative ease. I'm not sure the Rangers will want to let him go, though.

One name to think about is Michael Young. Tom Hicks recently (and inadvertently) insulted him on the airwaves, saying in essence that Young is not a "leader" in the clubhouse. The Rangers inexplicably have never been high on Young. After this latest insult, it is possible (although not likely) that he may not want to sign a long-term deal with the Rangers. If that's the case (and admittedly it is a long shot), if I were KW I'd offer Garcia, Uribe and Konerko for Young. The Rangers would get a veteran starter, a shortstop to replace Young, and a proven slugging 1B, which would allow them to move Teixeira to third (where he played in college) and allow them to deal Blalock for more pitching. The Sox would get a solid defensive shortstop, a fantasticly unselfish ballplayer, and one heck of a clultch doubles/average hitter to go along with tons of payroll flexibility.

Whitesox4ever
09-12-2006, 11:16 AM
I would not want Hunter on the Sox. Period. Especially given the price he will command.

I would love to have someone like Gary Matthews, Jr. patrolling left field next to Anderson. This would give the Sox the best defensive OF in the majors. He may be having a career year at the plate, but he's handled the large CF at Ameriquest with relative ease. I'm not sure the Rangers will want to let him go, though.

One name to think about is Michael Young. Tom Hicks recently (and inadvertently) insulted him on the airwaves, saying in essence that Young is not a "leader" in the clubhouse. The Rangers inexplicably have never been high on Young. After this latest insult, it is possible (although not likely) that he may not want to sign a long-term deal with the Rangers. If that's the case (and admittedly it is a long shot), if I were KW I'd offer Garcia, Uribe and Konerko for Young. The Rangers would get a veteran starter, a shortstop to replace Young, and a proven slugging 1B, which would allow them to move Teixeira to third (where he played in college) and allow them to deal Blalock for more pitching. The Sox would get a solid defensive shortstop, a fantasticly unselfish ballplayer, and one heck of a clultch doubles/average hitter to go along with tons of payroll flexibility.

Matthews is a free agent.. I do love your idea about bringing M Young to the Sox that would be a huge pick up

CLR01
09-12-2006, 11:22 AM
here here! :gulp: Brian Anderson has been awesome in CF. He is 23 with plenty more time for improvement. The kid is a rookie give him a break! He is batting 229 which is still a hell of alot better then what he was batting before the All Star break.

But still a long way from the .500 average, 50 hr's and 150 RBI's our centerfielder should have.

jenn2080
09-12-2006, 11:35 AM
But still a long way from the .500 average, 50 hr's and 150 RBI's our centerfielder should have.

damn it you have a point. lets put a red bow on him and send him on his way. I think Brian is going to be a great player but obviously he has a long way to go. I wouldnt want anyone else in CF but Anderson.

BainesHOF
09-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Why not enjoy this pennant race before talking about 2007?

Whitesox4ever
09-12-2006, 12:11 PM
Why not enjoy this pennant race before talking about 2007?

I'm enjoying this amazing pennant race and hoping that we can win another championship but as a die-hard fan I like to see what improvements that KW can make and see how strong he can make the Sox when we go for our 3-peat next year.

Dolanski
09-12-2006, 12:39 PM

Not Gary Matthews and not BJ Upton.

Uribe is still arbitration eligible, and they got Cintron in case he doesn't pan out. Torii Hunter is overrated and expensive. Gary Matthews is having a FLUKE season. He is like 40.

Your plan ensures a last place finish. Cheers.

BigPapaPump
09-12-2006, 01:25 PM

I hope your kidding. Why would the Sox give up 2 position players and at times a dominating starting pitcher for one above average SS? Not to mention that Paulie is the captain and heart of this team.

Myrtle72
09-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Torii Hunter is overrated and expensive. Gary Matthews is having a FLUKE season. He is like 40.

Yeah, I am inclined to agree - I'd much prefer the younger rookies like Brian Anderson than someone like Gary Matthews.

Tragg
09-12-2006, 01:33 PM

Ugh
Too many stodgy old veterans. Matthews is off of a career year - he was a mediocre ballplayer prior to this year. Huge Beltre risk.
Youth is good....Anderson and a rookie for next year keep the team fresh and hungry.

champagne030
09-12-2006, 01:50 PM
from today trib

Guillen is hoping to find possibly two solid outfielders to go along with Dye for next season.
Guillen made that evident on Monday, declaring that both left field and center field are open competitions for 2007.

It sounds like Ozzie isn't to thrill having Anderson as a starter so my plan of signing Hunter and Matthews would be exactly what this team is looking for

He said nothing of the sort......

"Guillen, though, tempered some of the hype that Fields could play himself into a starting job in left by saying only right fielder Jermaine Dye is assured of a starting outfield position.

The Sox hold a $6.5 million option on Dye for 2007, and Guillen has made speed a priority for next season because the middle of the order is more power-oriented."

"I don't know what's on the market, I don't know what Kenny has in mind," Guillen said. "There are so many things involved when you make a ballclub."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0609120128sep12,1,5945388.story?coll=chi-sportswhitesox-hed

Nothing about an open competition. BA will be the starting CF for the White Sox next season.....get over it.

Frater Perdurabo
09-12-2006, 02:08 PM
I hope your kidding. Why would the Sox give up 2 position players and at times a dominating starting pitcher for one above average SS? Not to mention that Paulie is the captain and heart of this team.

McCarthy can replace Garcia in the rotation. Young would be an upgrade at shortstop over Uribe. Young won a batting title and he's excellent - and driven to improve every year - defensively. He was the All-Star MVP this year and is incredible in the clutch. His production would replace Konerko's (fewer homers but more doubles and better average). He's cheaper than Konerko, too. A first base platoon of Fields and Gload, IMHO, also could produce roughly equivalent numbers (more doubles, fewer homers, similar average, better speed, equal or better defense) to what Konerko generates. The payroll savings could be invested into a leadoff hitter/left fielder

mjmcend
09-12-2006, 02:08 PM

No kidding. Above average with the bat (might even be the best), however most posts can field shortstop better than he can. He came up as a 2nd baseman but was forced to move when the Rangers traded Arod for Soriano.

BigPapaPump
09-12-2006, 02:14 PM
McCarthy can replace Garcia in the rotation. Young would be an upgrade at shortstop over Uribe. Young won a batting title and he's excellent - and driven to improve every year - defensively. He was the All-Star MVP this year and is incredible in the clutch. His production would replace Konerko's (fewer homers but more doubles and better average). He's cheaper than Konerko, too. A first base platoon of Fields and Gload, IMHO, also could produce roughly equivalent numbers (more doubles, fewer homers, similar average, better speed, equal or better defense) to what Konerko generates. The payroll savings could be invested into a leadoff hitter/left fielder

McCarthy, IMO, has taken a step back this year and has not proven he could get batters out in long relief let alone in a starters spot. Konerko is around for more than his on field production, he is a key player in the clubhouse. He's not going anywhere and why would Texas want to take on his and Garcia's salary? I have no problem with Young, he's a great ball player and an improvement on Uribe, but I never want to see Gload at first base as a starter.

Whitesox4ever
09-12-2006, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I am inclined to agree - I'd much prefer the younger rookies like Brian Anderson than someone like Gary Matthews.

Matthews is 31 years old

Baby Fisk
09-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Trade Garcia to the Jays for Vernon Wells. :bandance: I love this thread! It's crazy fun!

Frater Perdurabo
09-12-2006, 02:36 PM
McCarthy, IMO, has taken a step back this year and has not proven he could get batters out in long relief let alone in a starters spot. Konerko is around for more than his on field production, he is a key player in the clubhouse. He's not going anywhere and why would Texas want to take on his and Garcia's salary? I have no problem with Young, he's a great ball player and an improvement on Uribe, but I never want to see Gload at first base as a starter.

IMHO, McCarthy is wound up so tight trying to make a perfect pitch - fearing that Ozzie will yank him - that he ends up aiming the ball instead of just pitching naturally.

Deuce
09-12-2006, 02:44 PM
McCarthy, IMO, has taken a step back this year and has not proven he could get batters out in long relief let alone in a starters spot.Mark Buehrle wasn't all that hot as a reliever before becoming the quality starter he is today. The two are not synonymous. McCarthy will be just fine as a fifth starter.

Konerko is around for more than his on field production, he is a key player in the clubhouse.That is probably because its impossible for him to ground into a double play in the clubhouse. :redneck

...but I never want to see Gload at first base as a starter.Me neither. He is far too useful as a bench guy to start. Unfortunately, Ozzie never uses him unless someone is injured.

Deuce