PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Owens

gbergman
09-12-2006, 03:04 AM
Watching him today when he came in to pinch run, all I thought was man this kid can fly. He nearly beat out that ground ball, and on that first pitch could of easily stole second as he had a huge lead with the pitcher not paying much attention till after. If this guy can get on base and play somewhat decent defense we will have a standout corner outfielder and leadoff man in the near future.

aryzner
09-12-2006, 03:22 AM
Yeah I almost thought he was safe on that play myself. Impressive speed indeed.

BainesHOF
09-12-2006, 03:53 AM
It looks very well like Owens could be in center with Fields in left next year.

IlliniSox4Life
09-12-2006, 04:00 AM

As good as they may be, I doubt Kenny plans on starting two rookies in the outfield for the two time defending World Champions.

Grzegorz
09-12-2006, 06:25 AM
From what I've heard and read, Owens in not even in the picture with Anderson as far as being a defensive outfielder is concerned. So he can run; can he take control in the outfield and direct the other outfielders? Can he take an angle on a fly ball? Does he have the arm to play center field? Can he throw to the correct base? What will his OBP be in the big leagues? Does he take pitches?

Too many questions to answer before he's installed in the outfield much less center field.

Why is Anderson being thrown under the bus?

DrCrawdad
09-12-2006, 07:11 AM
Yeah I almost thought he was safe on that play myself. Impressive speed indeed.

I thought Owens was safe.

stl_sox_fan
09-12-2006, 08:43 AM
From what I've heard and read, Owens in not even in the picture with Anderson as far as being a defensive outfielder is concerned. So he can run; can he take control in the outfield and direct the other outfielders? Can he take an angle on a fly ball? Does he have the arm to play center field? Can he throw to the correct base? What will his OBP be in the big leagues? Does he take pitches?

Too many questions to answer before he's installed in the outfield much less center field.

Why is Anderson being thrown under the bus?

Thanks for asking that question. I don't know what BA did to get in Ozzie's(and this board's) bad graces. Dude is a rookie, has incredible defensive skills and is struggling offensively because he's splitting time with an infielder. Next year when Sweeney and Owens are below the Mendoza line, it's going to start all over again on these threads.

Send Owens/Sweeney down, bring up TBA, he's been hitting the cover off the ball in Charlotte.

The Immigrant
09-12-2006, 08:51 AM
You can't steal first base (unless you're A.J. and Doug Eddings is on duty).

Hitmen77
09-12-2006, 09:16 AM

Huh? What about Brian Anderson? :?: He's been hitting about .300 since mid-June and is a great defensive centerfielder.

FedEx227
09-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Yeah I would love to be enlightened as to why the White Sox seem hell-bent on writing Anderson off.

southside rocks
09-12-2006, 10:27 AM
Yeah I would love to be enlightened as to why the White Sox seem hell-bent on writing Anderson off.

I haven't seen that. I see Ozzie not wanting a rookie to get too comfortable, and since that rookie isn't a finished product yet, I don't have any problem with that.

We probably know about 2% of what actually goes on in the clubhouse and on the team, and there might be a whole back-story to the recent comments about BA. Kind of pointless to speculate without access to the info ...

chaerulez
09-12-2006, 10:43 AM

I'd still take BA in center unless Owens is somehow good as him on defense, which I haven't heard. I think it's reasonable to expect a .260 season from BA next year and with his defense that's more than enough. Ozzie has done a nice job to bury this kid.

maurice
09-12-2006, 03:15 PM
I'd still take BA in center unless Owens is somehow good as him on defense

He's not. In fact, until this year, Owens was a LF.

BA's defense >>> Owens' defense. BA's arm >>>>>>> Owens' arm.

kevingrt
09-12-2006, 03:42 PM
I wouldn't mind an OF next year from right to left of Dye, Anderson, and then find someone out of these guys in spring training: Gload, Owens, Fields, Mackowiak, Sweeney and anyone else you want to bring in or resign.

I still think Anderson will be a good Cf. Remember how long it took Mr Rowand to excel at the dish and in CF. Give this kid a year. It took Rowand a year and half before everyone loved him.

SoxEd
09-12-2006, 03:45 PM
He's not. In fact, until this year, Owens was a LF.

Interesting - can anyone think of a team that might need a Left Fielder with some basepath speed right now?

What's the lowdown on Owens' Hitting/Bunting ability?

kobo
09-12-2006, 03:50 PM
Yeah, in Charlotte.

maurice
09-12-2006, 04:02 PM
What's the lowdown on Owens' Hitting/Bunting ability?

Decent bunter. Stone cold start in AAA this year, before heating up and finishing around .260 AVE. Lead his AA league in hitting the previous year after skipping high-A ball. He's another former football player, so he's a bit behind the learning curve for his age, but the talent obviously is there. IMO, he would benefit from another year at AAA.

During the offseason, Ozzie talked about giving Owens a shot at the MLB team THIS year, but then he skipped out on his Venezuelan league team and POed Ozzie and Joey Cora.

34 Inch Stick
09-12-2006, 04:07 PM
There was once a time on this board when people argued that the Sox lost the trade of a .240 hitting defensive stud outfielder for Paul Konerko.