PDA

View Full Version : The bull pen, anyone else think its all mental ?

OzzyTrain
09-12-2006, 12:58 AM
Hear me out here, I was thinking about it tonight. Our starting pitching was suckin it up awhile back, and I feel like some of the relief pitchers might of started to think way to much. Like if it happen to them, what if that happens to me, now you might think I'm crazy but after reading the Brandon McCarthy interview, it kind of has me thinking about it.

Just an off topic debate I guess, nothing really more to it.

TheOldRoman
09-12-2006, 01:21 AM
Sometimes, when it rains it pours. Our bullpen has been sucking lately. Cotts-ism is spreading. Bad perfomance rubs off on people just like good performance. Our rotation is finally looking like we expected it to the entire year. Buehrle had a rough outing last time, but he was really good in his last few. When guys are doing good, others feed off of them.

Cotts did get an out yesterday, and he didn't give up a run. That is a start. If he turns it around (and he doesn't have to be nearly as good as last year), he will change everything. That gives us 4 reliable guys in the bullpen. McCarthy will only be used in the playoffs in an extra inning game, so his role will be more defined, and he won't be coming into the game with runners on. That is good. Riske has been horrible over his last 6 performances, but before that he was good. If things start going our way, we get bounces, and everyone else steps up, I think Riske will improve also. The most important thing is to get momentum. If we get momentum, the bullpen will settle down, IMO. They just need confidence, and they all needs to relax.

IlliniSox4Life
09-12-2006, 01:44 AM
It certainly is definately a little bit mental, however, sometimes you just play poorly for stretches. Jenks' problems seem to have beeen physical but nothing that is a huge cause for concern. He seemed to pitch better today despite giving up the run. He was ahead of the first two batters but then threw a bad pitch.

As far as the others go, Thornton and MacDougal have far exceeded anyones expectations of them. As far as I am concerned, getting "Red Jack" is probably one of the, if not the, best moves before the deadline by any team. So I can't really think you can say a bad week for them is mental considering they've been pitching insanely.

Mental problems are what guys like Javy and Freddy have. They seem to erupt and give up huge innings when something goes against them once. They've been throwing better of late, but Javy's whole 6th inning troubles are the perfect example of what I would consider to be a mental problem.

soxtalker
09-12-2006, 07:14 AM
I think that it is just as likely that they are tired -- probably a combination of mental and physical. I haven't looked at the stats, but I suspect that the relief pitchers have been pitching more innings (and under pretty stressful situations). It's a long season and there have been several factors which could contribute to fatigue -- poor starting pitching, relatively poor defense (compared to last year), and being behind in the standings for most of the year.

Flight #24
09-12-2006, 09:23 AM
90% of this game is half mental. And I'd say that goes double for pitching and a third more for relieving.

I don't know what Cotts problem is, but I hesitate to say that he's breaking out of it based on the out he got Sunday. That was a sacrifice bunt, if he can't get that out then he's no better than a rookie who walks in a run:o: .

The Sox have 3 great relievers: Thornton, McDougal, Jenks. And one decent one: Riske. Cotts is a crapshoot, McCarthy's scuffling a bit right now (but not too long ago was doing pretty well). Still, 4 should be plenty from here on out if we get decent starting pitching and an occasional inning or 2 from Haeger/McCarthy or blowout time from the rest.

southside rocks
09-12-2006, 09:30 AM
The Sox have 2 great relievers: Thornton, McDougal, Jenks. And one decent one: Riske. Cotts is a crapshoot, McCarthy's scuffling a bit right now (but not too long ago was doing pretty well). Still, 4 should be plenty from here on out if we get decent starting pitching and an occasional inning or 2 from Haeger/McCarthy or blowout time from the rest.

Thornton, MacDougal and Jenks = 3 great relievers, yes? Or are we counting ThornDougal as one? :tongue:

I think your assessment is correct, and I think (well, okay, I hope) that Cotts will round back into form for the stretch run and the playoffs.

Paulwny
09-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Mc Carthy has now gone through the AL a couple of times, batters may be adjusting to his pitches. How good a starter he'll be next year will be ????.

esbrechtel
09-13-2006, 08:13 AM
to answer the thread question....yes

Rooney4Prez56
09-13-2006, 08:17 AM
90% of this game is half mental. And I'd say that goes double for pitching and a third more for relieving.

Too many fractions!

As far as the topic goes, the bullpen better start shutting people down. If they keep pitching like this, we won't have time to gain ground and we won't make the playoffs.

Lip Man 1
09-13-2006, 09:31 AM
The bullpen will be overhauled in the off season. Kenny doesn't make the same mistake twice. He'll be looking at two arms for sure (probably one left handed) and maybe a third if Riske isn't kept.

Yes the bullpen has been spotty at best, they've been behind the eight ball due to the off season moves and Politte's and Cotts' meltdown's. Kenny's done what he could during the season but it hasn't been near enough.

Lip