PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Hummel's future may actually be shortstop...

TimChamp
02-26-2002, 11:23 PM
Tim Hummel. Though he played 93 games at second for Double-A Birmingham, hitting .290, Hummel will play shortstop, second and even third. Manuel said Hummel still projects as a second baseman. But the addition of Harris as insurance in case Ray Durham leaves via free agency suggests Hummel's future may be at short.

Here's the link to the whole article...
Spring training update... (http://www.chicagosports.com/whitesox/content/story/0,1984,176307,00.html)

Check it out and tell me what you guys think. :)

Daver
02-26-2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by TimChamp

Here's the link to the whole article...
Spring training update... (http://www.chicagosports.com/whitesox/content/story/0,1984,176307,00.html)

Check it out and tell me what you guys think. :)

Hummel is not an upgrade over Jose,so don't expect to see him for two more years.

RedPinStripes
02-27-2002, 12:12 AM
:hitless
"Yu're not talking about my island are you!

RichH55
02-27-2002, 01:39 PM
Hummel is more of a 3B than a SS IMO

RedPinStripes
02-27-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Hummel is more of a 3B than a SS IMO

Next few years will be interesting. I'll bet this whole manos\choice thing will be over because both will be gone by 2004.

RichH55
02-27-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Next few years will be interesting. I'll bet this whole manos\choice thing will be over because both will be gone by 2004.

I doubt Manos is gone by 2004.......just my opinion....though Royce is gone after this year regardless

RedPinStripes
02-27-2002, 01:59 PM

I doubt Manos is gone by 2004.......just my opinion....though Royce is gone after this year regardless

Unless he keeps up the pwer like he did last year and brings up his average, I don't see any use for him By then with all his errors and the farm developing. They have a real high rated SS prospet who should be here by 2004. Gonzalez is his last name. I hear he can hit and field. Uness they are going to move a few guys, they have Hummel, Crede, Harris, and Gonzalez all waiting to play IF.

RichH55
02-27-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Unless he keeps up the pwer like he did last year and brings up his average, I don't see any use for him By then with all his errors and the farm developing. They have a real high rated SS prospet who should be here by 2004. Gonzalez is his last name. I hear he can hit and field. Uness they are going to move a few guys, they have Hummel, Crede, Harris, and Gonzalez all waiting to play IF.

You of course are assuming perfect prospect development....which is hardly a sure thing.....A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush....if Manos is still putting up .850 or so OPS numbers he is worthwhile at SS

Cubbiesuck13
02-27-2002, 03:57 PM

You of course are assuming perfect prospect development....which is hardly a sure thing.....A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush....if Manos is still putting up .850 or so OPS numbers he is worthwhile at SS

As much as i agree with you that if Jose is puttin out, then he should play. But depending on how the next few seasons turn out i think that you may see a prospect gettin time there. Hopefully Crede will be a cornerstone at third. The future of the prospects and how soon they will be there will all depend on durham, joses contract extensions, and the where the team is after this year and the next.

RichH55
02-27-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13

As much as i agree with you that if Jose is puttin out, then he should play. But depending on how the next few seasons turn out i think that you may see a prospect gettin time there. Hopefully Crede will be a cornerstone at third. The future of the prospects and how soon they will be there will all depend on durham, joses contract extensions, and the where the team is after this year and the next.

The things that need to happen for Jose to be gone after 2004 almost make you want it to happen....For Jose to be gone you have to assume that he plays so well that he prices himself out of the White Sox plans and that the prospects develop so well that you can afford to lose a player with an .845 OPS from a traditional non-power spot.....If Gonzalez becomes the next great thing I'm all for it....I just don't see Willie Harris, Hummel, Crede and Gonzalez ALL developing into good to great major league ballplayers

RichH55
02-27-2002, 04:16 PM
Baseball Prospectus 2002 also mentions Hummell as a posibilty for 3B....says nothing about SS, but wasn't sold on his 2B Defense, so I'm guessing that isnt the best segway into the SS slot