PDA

View Full Version : AAA, AA or A?

Trav
09-11-2006, 06:18 PM
If you could have any level of minor league near you, what would you choose? AAA, AA or A.

I had the good fortune of living near Birmingham, AL when the Sox were pulling many players straight from AA so that was cool. Now I live in a AAA city (Mets) but they play the Knights quite a bit so that is nice. I think I would choose AAA as it is so close to the bigs and you would get to see other team's top prospects but I could see choosing a lower level to see draft picks right away.

sox1970
09-11-2006, 06:24 PM
If you could have any level of minor league near you, what would you choose? AAA, AA or A.

I had the good fortune of living near Birmingham, AL when the Sox were pulling many players straight from AA so that was cool. Now I live in a AAA city (Mets) but they play the Knights quite a bit so that is nice. I think I would choose AAA as it is so close to the bigs and you would get to see other team's top prospects but I could see choosing a lower level to see draft picks right away.

High A or AA. AAA is primarily retreads and scrubs filling out rosters IMO.

Britt Burns
09-11-2006, 08:31 PM
AA. Almost all of the top prospects spend some time in AA; many skip AAA. As stated above, not that many retreads either.

OkStateSox
09-11-2006, 08:37 PM
AAA, Tulsa could have and should have a AAA team but they always voted on keeping a AA since players stay longer in general. Now the whole program is in ruin. Nobody goes to the games. At least we used to be able to fill the stadium for firework games and almost double normal capacity on opening day with standing room only tickets and people lining the warning track. Repeatedly refusing to move up and selling the team to the Rockies ruined everything they had going for them. The only thing that will save Tulsa baseball now is a new stadium.

ondafarm
09-11-2006, 10:02 PM
If I had my druthers, I'd take my job to Charlotte, NC. The Knights AAA are there (well, South Mills, SC.) Kannapolis (A) is really close. Winston-Salem (high A) is not very far (30 miles.) There are also several other minor-league franchises near enough to make them reasonable day trips. Lexington, NC is nearby (the nexus of NC BBQ) and New Bern, NC is not that far to get to Voodoochile and the Medici style pizza he can recreate.

DumpJerry
09-12-2006, 12:00 AM
I live in Chicago, Illinois. We have a major league team (White Sox), AA team (Cubs) and A (Cougars which are now the Athletics' affiliate).

I went to an AA game when they played the major league club this year.

ND_Sox_Fan
09-12-2006, 01:41 AM
I live in Chicago, Illinois. We have a major league team (White Sox), AA team (Cubs) and A (Cougars which are now the Athletics' affiliate).

:rolling: I love the dry, serious tone of that humor!!

I concur with the AA opinion. Although, it can be fun to watch some ML rejects at AAA.

MUsoxfan
09-12-2006, 03:13 AM
I've seen AAA games in New Orleans. The cool thing about that is you get to see big names doing rehab stints and guys that are on the brink of breaking through.

I enjoy A and Independent ball because they play truly for the love of the game.

DumpJerry
09-12-2006, 08:51 AM
A couple of years ago, I went to a AAA game of the Memphis Redbirds (Cards) hosting the Tulsa Redhawks (Rangers, I think that was their name-it was some sort of red flying animal).

There was a sharp contrast in the talent level on the field. You could tell who is headed to the Big Show (Gary Matthews, jr. played in the game and it was known he was going up with a few weeks) and who did not have a chance whatsoever.

It was fun and the scalper charged us $7 for $10 tickets!

Chips
09-12-2006, 10:14 AM

Dump, you even spread your Flubsession to the Minor Observations. :redneck

DumpJerry
09-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Dump, you even spread your Flubsession to the Minor Observations. :redneck
What the **** are you talking about, Mr. Beersessed? You're obsessed over my non-existant Flubsession. Try posting about the White Sox once in while, ok?

Randar68
09-12-2006, 12:38 PM
High A or AA. AAA is primarily retreads and scrubs filling out rosters IMO.

Agree 100%. I've always enjoyed watching Winston-Salem. Fun level of baseball to watch, IMO, although AA has a more advanced "feel" to it, you really get a younger player in High-A and that leads to some real interesting interaction and because they're slightly less "polished" in general, it can offer a little more entertainment from a personality perspective.

mccoydp
09-12-2006, 04:10 PM

I'm with you, Trav; I go to see the Tides when they play the Knights, but that's about it. I can't get into the Tides, and could really care less about following a minor league pennant race. I'm really just there to see the prospects and the AAAA players.

Trav
09-12-2006, 06:08 PM
I'm with you, Trav; I go to see the Tides when they play the Knights, but that's about it. I can't get into the Tides, and could really care less about following a minor league pennant race. I'm really just there to see the prospects and the AAAA players.

Actually, I really enjoy going to Tides games. It's a great park and last year the team was very good. This year (before I left) the team was terrible but I was able to see some really good players come through there. Milledge (Mets), Hammel (Phillies), Young (D-Rays), Marte (Indians) were all very fun to watch. Milledge made some great plays but has a thing with an ump in just about every game I seen him play in. Hammel is a SP for the Phils and pitched 8 solid innings and set the record for most Tides struck out in a game. Young pretty much did what he is doing right now in the bigs. Marte looked terrible in two games I watched.

Maybe it is because I don't know all that much about the top prospects for every team but I don't think I would know any of those players when they were in AA. By the time they get to AAA they are pretty well known to me and it is always fun talking about seeing a superstar while he was playing in the minors. However, I could really get used to seeing the younger players on the Sox farm teams.

wsoxfan111
09-12-2006, 09:48 PM
I would definately have Single-A, because you get to see the Top Prospects, and stars of the future in their debuts and 4 or 5 years before their name is known throughout the Majors.

goofymsfan
10-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Up where I'm at in the Seattle area, we have MLB, AAA, and Short Season Single A. I enjoy going all of them. I have a little trouble going to the SSA games because it's still about 1.5 hours with traffic from where I live. The Everett team usually gets the higher draft pick players that were signed coming through. I wish there was an AA team close by but the leagues are not close to here.

mark2olson
10-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Up where I'm at in the Seattle area, we have MLB, AAA, and Short Season Single A. I enjoy going all of them. I have a little trouble going to the SSA games because it's still about 1.5 hours with traffic from where I live. The Everett team usually gets the higher draft pick players that were signed coming through. I wish there was an AA team close by but the leagues are not close to here.

The local affiliate is AAA. The Royals move most of their players past this level into the bigs. It's interesting, though, to see the approach that various big league teams take wrt AAA, some of them view it as a dumping ground, some of them have their top prospects playing at this level.

Omaha, however, is home to the College World Series. The entire event is exciting to watch and attend. You can stand out in the parking lot and visit with players between games and get autographs.