PDA

View Full Version : Wilbon says that we will win the division

QCIASOXFAN
09-11-2006, 04:08 PM
I just got done watching PTI and Wilbon was asked if Minnesota was going to win the division. I was surprised when he said that neither Minnesota or Detroit would win it and that the Sox would. I hope hes right.

cbotnyse
09-11-2006, 04:10 PM
I just got done watching PTI and Wilbon was asked if Minnesota was going to win the division. I was surprised when he said that neither Minnesota or Detroit would win it and that the Sox would. I hope hes right.
What PTI did you just watch? It comes on at 430??? btw, Wilbon is the smartest guy on ESPN, by far.

Chicken Dinner
09-11-2006, 04:15 PM
What PTI did you just watch? It comes on at 430??? btw, Wilbon is the smartest guy on ESPN, by far.

Isn't that an oxymoron?

SOXandILLINI
09-11-2006, 04:19 PM
pti was on early today because of all the mnf stuff today.

cbotnyse
09-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Isn't that an oxymoron?are you a Wilbon fan?

cbotnyse
09-11-2006, 04:21 PM
pti was on early today because of all the mnf stuff today.
I missed it? :angry:

DaleJRFan
09-11-2006, 04:22 PM
I like it better when national sports broadcasters are throwing the Sox under the proverbial bus. Last time ESPN put the Sox atop their MLB power rankings, the Sox lost 9 out of 12 and fell into 3rd place.

I like Wilbon and all but.....

The Immigrant
09-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Isn't that an oxymoron?

It's more like saying he's the tallest midget in the room.

sox1970
09-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Well if Wilbon thinks we'll win the division, then you know it has to be true.

thomas35forever
09-11-2006, 05:21 PM
That's PTI for ya. Kornheiser standing up for the Eastern Seaborn and Wilbon standing up for us.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Does he know the Twins never actually got contracted and they still exist?

TDog
09-11-2006, 05:36 PM
Isn't that an oxymoron?

Technically it's damning with faint praise.

CHIsoxNation
09-11-2006, 05:39 PM

Shouldn't that be in teal? I'm not surprised though, he loves to hop on the Chicago bandwagons when he has a chance. It seems like any time I've caught a glimpse of that show he was talking about his "loveable cubbies" or Tony was making fun of him for being a Cubs fan.

aryzner
09-11-2006, 05:40 PM
If he's right, I'll drink to that! :gulp:

soxwon
09-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Everyone's brother can say WE WILL WIN IT.
but its up to
THE TEAM to win it.

talking is foolhearty, doing is the answer
and the way we go up n down
doing is gonna be tough!!!!

Nellie_Fox
09-11-2006, 05:47 PM
That's PTI for ya. Kornheiser standing up for the Eastern Seaborn and Wilbon standing up for us.Seaborn?:?:

JB98
09-11-2006, 06:00 PM
I agree with Wilbon. We're going to win this division. I still think we're better than Minnesota, and I know we're better than Detroit.

"Realists" and Twins-lovers, feel free to flame away. :rolleyes:

cbotnyse
09-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Shouldn't that be in teal? I'm not surprised though, he loves to hop on the Chicago bandwagons when he has a chance. It seems like any time I've caught a glimpse of that show he was talking about his "loveable cubbies" or Tony was making fun of him for being a Cubs fan.
No teal....I am a big Wilbon fan. Yes he may be a Cub fan, but there are smart Cub fans out there. He is the only person on the network that understands the rest of the country doesn't care about the Yanks and wrong Sox. I love his attitude, delivery and knowledge of sports. He is a south side guy, whats not to like?

And he is not a bandwagon guy either. He just appreciates good baseball when he sees it. (and has said exactly that)

sox1970
09-11-2006, 06:28 PM
I agree with Wilbon. We're going to win this division. I still think we're better than Minnesota, and I know we're better than Detroit.

I think the Twins will win the division because of Santana, because Liriano is coming back, and because their schedule isn't that tough.

I do think the Sox have a chance of passing the Tigers, if the Tigers play bad this week and the Sox get four wins this week, followed by a sweep of the Tigers next week. If the Sox are within a game of the Tigers after that series, I give them a good chance at the playoffs with 10 games left.

chisoxfanatic
09-11-2006, 06:55 PM
The last weekend of the season WILL decide who wins this division. I think we'll pass Detroit sometime next week (they're floundering so much, and I think the Sox are gonna kick them when they're down next week here). My initial prediction is that the final game of the season will determine the division winner, and I'm sticking to that.

BA: The Hitman
09-11-2006, 06:56 PM
No teal....I am a big Wilbon fan. Yes he may be a Cub fan, but there are smart Cub fans out there. He is the only person on the network that understands the rest of the country doesn't care about the Yanks and wrong Sox. I love his attitude, delivery and knowledge of sports. He is a south side guy, whats not to like?

And he is not a bandwagon guy either. He just appreciates good baseball when he sees it. (and has said exactly that)

I couldn't agree more. Wilbon is by far the smartest guy on all of ESPN and its great to watch PTI because its one of the only times that the east coast bias isn't present.

As for his prediction of the Sox winning the division, I pray that he is right. I think a more likely scenario is the Tigers missing the playoffs completely. I'd love for the Sox and the Twins to be battling for the division and wild card that last weekend in minnesota.

whitesoxwilkes
09-11-2006, 07:09 PM
but its up to
THE TEAM to win it.

Where is DA REVERAND?

ws05champs
09-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Winning the division simply depends on which teams get hot in these last few weeks and which slump. Sox, Twins and Tigers all have the talent to get into the playoffs. It will come down to desire and plain damn luck.

1951Campbell
09-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Seaborn?:?:

You know...the lovechild of the Eastern Seaboard and Jason Sehorn. :D:

1951Campbell
09-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Where is DA REVERAND?

Preach it, Rev!

*fans self with church bulletin*

Domeshot17
09-11-2006, 08:08 PM
this week will be big for us. The same team that just split with the triple A indians better not show up to the west coast, because as amped as I am for this team to go on a run, I am a little worried about laying our usual west coast egg and looking a 5 games out of the division and 2 or 3 out of the wild card at weeks end.

digdagdug23
09-11-2006, 08:14 PM
You know...the lovechild of the Eastern Seaboard and Jason Sehorn. :D:

:roflmao:

I won't hold the Packers love against ya, you're a Sox fan, so you are at least half right. :D:

batmanZoSo
09-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Ooh, Wilbon says we'll win the Division. Thank god, now I can sleep this month.

ndgt10
09-11-2006, 08:24 PM
This team will not win the division or the wild card. They have blown way to many opportunities and I doubt they are going to stop doing it for the remainder of the season. The white sox are just too inconsistent most likely due to the juggling act that Ozzie does with our lineup every day. Call me a hater, a fair weather fan, etc., but i have no faith in this team to get the job done. However, I will continue to watch every game and hope they prove me wrong.

Lip Man 1
09-11-2006, 08:59 PM
It would be nice if Michael is right on this one.

We'll see.

Lip

FarWestChicago
09-11-2006, 09:00 PM
This team will not win the division or the wild card. They have blown way to many opportunities and I doubt they are going to stop doing it for the remainder of the season. The white sox are just too inconsistent most likely due to the juggling act that Ozzie does with our lineup every day. Call me a hater, a fair weather fan, etc., but i have no faith in this team to get the job done. However, I will continue to watch every game and hope they prove me wrong.Lip will be proud of you. :D:

ShoelessJoeS
09-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Seaborn?:?:Let him be, he's on a roll.

Nellie_Fox
09-12-2006, 12:00 AM
My initial prediction is that the final game of the season will determine the division winner, and I'm sticking to that.I heard them mention on a Twins game the other night that the rotation is set up now so that Santana will pitch on the last game of the season. :o:

ondafarm
09-12-2006, 12:08 AM
. . . Wilbon is the smartest guy on ESPN, by far.

Smartest guy on ESPN isn't particularly high praise.

ondafarm
09-12-2006, 12:10 AM
I heard them mention on a Twins game the other night that the rotation is set up now so that Santana will pitch on the last game of the season. :o:

If the Sox are one game in front going into the last game of the season this is actually great news for the Sox. Even if Santana wins that game, he can't pitch a tie breaker game.

cbotnyse
09-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Rut-Roh

Wilbon jumped off today. :thud: He is backing off his division winning prediction and says he is not sure they will make the playoffs. I still think we will be in the playoffs but I can see his concern.

russ99
09-13-2006, 06:22 PM
I like it better when national sports broadcasters are throwing the Sox under the proverbial bus. Last time ESPN put the Sox atop their MLB power rankings, the Sox lost 9 out of 12 and fell into 3rd place.

I like Wilbon and all but.....

I hate Wilbon. He's a complete Met/Yankee butt-kisser. C'mon, he writes for Newsday, the dirtiest rag in America. And, his other job is at the Eastern Seaboard Sports Network.

Ten bucks he only believes that will happen, since if the Sox do win the AL Central, his sacred Yankees won't have to play the Sox in the ALDS, and get the (supposedly)weaker wild card team.

Still, I hope he's right. :tongue:

stacksedwards
09-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Rut-Roh

Wilbon jumped off today. :thud: He is backing off his division winning prediction and says he is not sure they will make the playoffs. I still think we will be in the playoffs but I can see his concern.

If Wiblon says we won't make the playoffs we should just pack it in. How many Sox games do you think all of the people on ESPN TV have watched this year? Maybe 20 at the most. The people on ESPN forcasting the AL Central is like a Jerry Taft giving his forcast for Boston or New York weather.

JB98
09-13-2006, 06:32 PM

Still gunnin' for that No. 1 spot. :cool:

MarySwiss
09-13-2006, 06:35 PM
I hate Wilbon. He's a complete Met/Yankee butt-kisser. C'mon, he writes for Newsday, the dirtiest rag in America. And, his other job is at the Eastern Seaboard Sports Network.

Ten bucks he only believes that will happen, since if the Sox do win the AL Central, his sacred Yankees won't have to play the Sox in the ALDS, and get the (supposedly)weaker wild card team.

Hate Wilbon all you want, but have a reason, please. He's from Chicago, admits he's a Cubs fan, and usually spars with Kornheiser, who's an admitted "Sawx" fan. Last year, Wilbon was all over the Sox. And I have never once heard him say anything that would indicate he is a Yankees fan.

kitekrazy
09-13-2006, 06:39 PM
but its up to
THE TEAM to win it.

Now see you made too much sense. I hope you don't have hopes of being employed by ESPN. Tht kind of analysis just wont cut it.

Soxfanspcu11
09-13-2006, 06:41 PM

:?:

Wilbon is the only employee of that network that calls out other so-called "journalists" for their ridiculous east coast bias.

Tony is a total east coast homer, the whole crew of Around the Horn are in love with east coast teams, and pretty much everyone who works for ESPN doesn't know that teams exist west of Pittsburgh.

Wilbon is really the only one who knows that other teams exist out there.

cbotnyse
09-13-2006, 06:46 PM

Still, I hope he's right. :tongue:you obviously are thinking of someone else. He is from Chicago and a die hard Cub fan. You are mistaken sir. His east coast bashing is halarious.

Nellie_Fox
09-14-2006, 01:07 AM
I hate Wilbon. He's a complete Met/Yankee butt-kisser. C'mon, he writes for Newsday, the dirtiest rag in America. And, his other job is at the Eastern Seaboard Sports Network.You couldn't have gotten this more screwed up. Wilbon is a Cubs/midwest fan, and he writes for the Washington Post.

russ99
09-14-2006, 04:35 PM
You couldn't have gotten this more screwed up. Wilbon is a Cubs/midwest fan, and he writes for the Washington Post.

Oops - egg on my face. Apologies to Mr. Wilbon. "When you assume"...

Still, I hope he's right.

gbergman
09-14-2006, 05:02 PM
You couldn't have gotten this more screwed up. Wilbon is a Cubs/midwest fan, and he writes for the Washington Post.

Kornheiser writes for the Washington Post.

Nellie_Fox
09-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Kornheiser writes for the Washington Post.I think they both do. I seem to remember reading that the idea for the show came about because their co-workers were so amused by the arguments they'd have at the office, much like their banter on the show.

Wilbon works for the WaPo: LINK (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/linkset/2005/03/24/LI2005032400073.html)

gbergman
09-14-2006, 05:34 PM
I think they both do. I seem to remember reading that the idea for the show came about because their co-workers were so amused by the arguments they'd have at the office, much like their banter on the show.

Wilbon works for the WaPo: LINK (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/linkset/2005/03/24/LI2005032400073.html)

Ah, ok. I always heard Wilbon mention Kornheiser working for the WaPo , but never himself being included in that.

35th&Shields
09-14-2006, 06:24 PM

He's actually a huge Chicago guy. I think he jumped on the Sox bandwagon, because he's primarily a Cubs fan, but Kornheiser always rips on him for being so biased towards Chicago teams and Chicago natives like Dwyane Wade and Donovan McNabb.