PDA

View Full Version : Someone please tell Ortiz.....

cbotnyse
09-11-2006, 02:09 PM
that making the playoffs is more important than winning the MVP.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2582790

I love the fact that you'd never hear Dye talk like this.

Unregistered
09-11-2006, 02:09 PM
"All depends on who makes the playoffs," he said. "Dye is having an unbelievable season, an incredible year. Konerko, too.

...or maybe that Morneau kid from Minny.

Also, Ortiz says of Jeter:
"He's done a great job, he's having a great season, but Jeter is not a 40-homer hitter or an RBI guy. It doesn't matter how much you've done for your ball club, the bottom line is, the guy who hits 40 home runs and knocks in 100, that's the guy you know helped your team win games."

Domeshot17
09-11-2006, 02:12 PM
just beat me too it, glad I ran search on it first.

I give him props for saying Dye deserves it over Jeter. I don't know why he would give a vote to Konerko. I mean paulie has been GOOD but I can think of 5 or 6 players ahead of him who deserve it more.

The entire article is basically Ortiz saying "poor me" and "feel sorry for me". Im sure it sucks, he probably has an esculator that if he wins the AL MVP he gets more $$$, but blame you're over rated GM for not putting together a pitching staff.
GO JD:supernana:

cbotnyse
09-11-2006, 02:12 PM
I beat you to it...I just posted that a minute ago. :cool: Mods please merge.

salty99
09-11-2006, 02:41 PM
I think Frank Thomas deserves it because he is going to hit 40 homers with 100 RBIS and his team is in the playoffs.

Ortiz is a goof saying that.

itsnotrequired
09-11-2006, 02:50 PM
The entire article is basically Ortiz saying "poor me" and "feel sorry for me". Im sure it sucks, he probably has an esculator that if he wins the AL MVP he gets more $$$, but blame you're over rated GM for not putting together a pitching staff.

His 2007 club option was increased from $7.75 million to $8.4 million as a result of his 2nd place finish in the 2005 AL MVP voting. I don't believe he has anything in his contract which guarantees him money if he gets the MVP.

Iwritecode
09-11-2006, 02:51 PM
"All depends on who makes the playoffs," he said. "Dye is having an unbelievable season, an incredible year. Konerko, too.

...or maybe that Morneau kid from Minny.

Also, Ortiz says of Jeter:
"He's done a great job, he's having a great season, but Jeter is not a 40-homer hitter or an RBI guy. It doesn't matter how much you've done for your ball club, the bottom line is, the guy who hits 40 home runs and knocks in 100, that's the guy you know helped your team win games."

If that were true then Sammy would have a ton of MVP awards by now...

Years he hit 40/100 and his team's record:

1996: 76-86 4th in a division of 5 teams. This is the year he hit 66 homeruns and actually did win the MVP.
1998: 90-73 Won the WC then promptly got swept out of the ALDS.
1999: 67-95 Last in division
2000: 65-97 Last in division
2001: 88-74 3rd in division
2002: 67-95 5th out of 6 teams
2003: 88-74 Won the Division. We all know what happend in the NLCS...

Gee, just think how bad those teams would've been had he not hit 40/100? :rolleyes:

soxfanaticpaulie
09-11-2006, 02:53 PM
"I'm right there," he said, "but I'm not going to win it. They give it to [Rodriguez] one year, even though his team was in last place, so now they can't play that BS anymore, just because your team didn't make it. They gave it to Alex that year because of his numbers. But they always have a reason to vote for whatever, so that's why I don't worry about it."

Shut up Pappi. You don't even play a position. That year A-Rod was argueably the best SS in baseball, SS argueably being the toughest position to play in baseball.

How about shutting up and playing baseball for your TEAM? Maybe stop worrying about the MVP award? Stop watching so much ESPN. If you really didn't worry about it, you wouldn't be talking about it, you'd be talking about how your team has been in free fall.

Big Poopi:

SPLIT G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB BA OBP SLG
Season 133 504 103 145 26 2 48 127 1 .288 .402 .633

JD:

SPLIT G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB BA OBP SLG
Season 130 482 93 158 26 3 41 112 7 .328 .394 .649

22 less AB's and JD is only 7 HR and 15 RBI behind you. His BA is 40 points higher, AND he plays a position. Which means he isn't sitting on his ass the entire game or getting to go into the batting cage before every at bat. His butt is on the field and his neck is on the line as he dives into walls.

The reason you won't win the MVP won't be because your team doesn't make the playoffs. It will be because you AREN'T THE MOST VALUABLE PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE!:angry:

Flight #24
09-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Big Poopi:

SPLITGABRH2B3BHRRBISBBAOBPSLGSeason133504103145262 481271.288.402.633

JD:

SPLITGABRH2B3BHRRBISBBAOBPSLGSeason130482931582634 11127.328.394.649

Well if that doesn't make it crystal clear, nothing will!:tongue:

soxfanaticpaulie
09-11-2006, 03:01 PM
Well if that doesn't make it crystal clear, nothing will!:tongue:

I thought it was clear as mudd :D:

Fixed it the best I could.

Flight #24
09-11-2006, 03:06 PM
I thought it was clear as mudd :D:

Fixed it the best I could.

No worries, it happens all the time.

Bottom line: JD & Ortiz's stats are reasonably comparable. But one plays an excellent RF, adds a speed component, and is carrying his team in contention for a postseason spot whereas the other is a DH, has literally no speed, and has a team that's been seriously sliding (and he's missed time during the slide).

But Ortiz has a hot wife and a cute nickname! Give it to him!

PorkChopExpress
09-11-2006, 03:47 PM
I like this quote about Jeter:

"Don't get me wrong -- he's a great player, having a great season, but he's got a lot of guys in that lineup," Ortiz continued. "Top to bottom, you've got a guy who can hurt you. Come hit in this lineup, see how good you can be."

Yeah Ortiz, it must suck to have Manny Ramirez right behind you in the lineup with decent on-base guys like Youkilis and Loretta in front of you. Nice.

Domeshot17
09-11-2006, 03:52 PM
manny will demand a trade after that

WizardsofOzzie
09-11-2006, 03:53 PM
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Oblong
09-11-2006, 03:59 PM
This is disappointing because I didn't think Ortiz was one of those kind of players.

Getting a lot of RBI's means that you have good teammates who are on base a lot when you bat.

PorkChopExpress
09-11-2006, 04:05 PM
I hope he really tries to prove he's an MVP when he plays the Twins. I wouldn't mind seeing Boston sweep that series on three Ortiz walkoffs.:D:

Fenway
09-11-2006, 04:05 PM
that making the playoffs is more important than winning the MVP.

I love the fact that you'd never hear Dye talk like this.

The orginal article in the Boston Globe

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/09/11/ortiz_raps_hr_mvp_voting/

DaleJRFan
09-11-2006, 04:16 PM
I think Frank Thomas deserves it because he is going to hit 40 homers with 100 RBIS and his team is in the playoffs.

Ortiz is a goof saying that.

:dye:
"...you're what hurts???"

Who is the goof here, Ortiz or you? Sorry, but Frank Thomas has NOTHING on JD this season. Wait, I'm not sorry.

DaleJRFan
09-11-2006, 04:27 PM
How many MVP awards did ARod win with Texas? Two or three as I recall, and Texas never made the playoffs. The MVP award in certain instances is based on what the team would be without the player. The Sox would be nowhere near as good as they are without JD playing rightfield and batting 3rd or 5th.

Olney brings up a good point that Johan Santana could win the MVP and Cy Young awards. Think about how bad they would be without him. That should be the rational, not "this guy hit 40 HRs and knocked in 100 runs..."

Podsednik, Konerko and Contreras got MVP votes last year.MVP = Most Valuable Player (to his team), this isn't the "who has the best offensive stats" award. Voting is based upon which player was worth the most to his team's success.

JD, Johan, Jeter - then maybe Ortiz and Morneau.

soxfanaticpaulie
09-11-2006, 04:33 PM
I like this quote about Jeter:

"Don't get me wrong -- he's a great player, having a great season, but he's got a lot of guys in that lineup," Ortiz continued. "Top to bottom, you've got a guy who can hurt you. Come hit in this lineup, see how good you can be."

Yeah Ortiz, it must suck to have Manny Ramirez right behind you in the lineup with decent on-base guys like Youkilis and Loretta in front of you. Nice.

Wow! I skimmed over that quote. That is not only wrong, but a really terrible thing to say about your teammates. Who, apparently, Ortiz could care less about. If Papi didn't have Ramirez behind him in that lineup, he wouldn't see EVEN CLOSE to as many hitable pitches as he does. Not to mention how solid that lineup is, and how many guys get on base for him to drive in. You can't get Runs Batted In without RunNERS.

This guy is a complete TOOL.

thomas35forever
09-11-2006, 05:26 PM
Could that statement be any more pretentious?

DaleJRFan
09-11-2006, 05:41 PM

So he, in essence, is throwing his teammates under the bus in order to gain a few MVP votes?? What'a guy!

All the more reason to root for Dye come MVP award time. Great guy + Amazing hitter + Solid defender.

Plus, what I like about Dye is he doesn't have any stupid and annoying pre-swing nuances. Ortiz spits in his hand and claps. Too bad Nomar went to LA. With Manny, the Penguin (Ortiz) and Nomar, they could have had the most annoying 3-4-5 in baseball.

JorgeFabregas
09-11-2006, 06:05 PM
A case can be made for Frank Thomas as MVP. Dye has had a better season, but it could be argued that Thomas is more important to the A's than Dye to the White Sox. After Dye, the White Sox have three more big boppers in Thome, Konerko, and Crede. After Thomas, the best hitter on the A's is Nick Swisher. There's not a whole lot going on after that.

Ziggy S
09-11-2006, 07:40 PM
manny will demand a trade after that
:rolling:

1951Campbell
09-11-2006, 07:46 PM

Did he just...no, it couldn't be right. Right? Was that as much of a dick quote as I think it is?

Beauty35thStreet
09-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Wow! Big Papi just said some stupid stuff. Granted it's true, but when he made that teammate comment, he did something stupid.

PKalltheway
09-12-2006, 02:51 AM
A case can be made for Frank Thomas as MVP. Dye has had a better season, but it could be argued that Thomas is more important to the A's than Dye to the White Sox. After Dye, the White Sox have three more big boppers in Thome, Konerko, and Crede. After Thomas, the best hitter on the A's is Nick Swisher. There's not a whole lot going on after that.
Yes a case can be made for Frank Thomas getting the MVP, but he has about a snowball's chance in hell of actually winning it. If he didn't win it in 2000 because he was a DH, he ain't gonna win it now. Of course ESPN will give all the reasons in the world as to why David Ortiz should win the MVP despite him being a DH, but Frank Thomas? No way. They'll give it to Johan Santana before they'll give it to Big Frank. You haven't heard Jim Thome's name come up in too many MVP discussions on ESPN, have you?

IlliniSox4Life
09-12-2006, 03:18 AM
Plus, what I like about Dye is he doesn't have any stupid and annoying pre-swing nuances. Ortiz spits in his hand and claps.

And God forbid he actually hits a homerun, he has to wait to make sure the whole world knows that his batting gloves are uncomfortable and must be loosened before he can begin jogging around the bases. I guess he's just trying to show how great he really is, being able to hit those home runs with such uncomfortable equipment on your hands. You would think a athlete of his caliber would be able to afford gloves that fit him good enough that he can wait until he's finished rounding the basis to loosen them, or at the very least, not have to make such a big spectacle about how much they are a pain to his delicate hands.

Sox-o-matic
09-12-2006, 04:09 AM
just beat me too it, glad I ran search on it first.

I give him props for saying Dye deserves it over Jeter. I don't know why he would give a vote to Konerko. I mean paulie has been GOOD but I can think of 5 or 6 players ahead of him who deserve it more.

GO JD:supernana:

Huh?

People forget that Theo wasn't the guy behind all the trades this last offseason. I'm sure the BoSox would love to have Anibal Sanchez and Hanley Ramirez back right about now. Heck, even Bronson Arroyo would have been a big help to that staff this year (although I don't blame them for picking up Willy Mo as I thought it was a great move for them at the time).

hi im skot
09-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Sounds like Ortiz attended the Frank Thomas School of Interviewing.

Sorry to read about this, as I, too, thought Ortiz was above this attitude.

Lip Man 1
09-12-2006, 01:49 PM
Jeter replied today according to ESPN.com.

Lip

mccoydp
09-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Big Phatti should be quiet and focus on two things: his own health, and preventing his mediocre team's further slide in the standings.

JorgeFabregas
09-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Jeter's response is essentially "I don't have to play in that lineup...we still have something to play for and we're not focusing on individual awards."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2584168

PorkChopExpress
09-12-2006, 06:22 PM
No manny Ramirez in the Boston lineup tonight. I wonder if Manny took Ortiz's comments personally.

SpartanSoxFan
09-12-2006, 11:41 PM
I just saw a head-to-head comparison of Jeter and Ortiz. I have to say, even though Big Papi doesn't think Jeter is "an RBI guy," I was startled to see Jeter has almost 100 RBI on the season (92 as of right now). Not bad considering he supposedely hits only for contact/average and is hitting 2nd in an order featuring sluggers like A-Rod and Giambi.

Fenway
09-13-2006, 09:42 AM
Papi says he was misquoted

red sox 6, orioles 5 (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/)
http://nesn.images.worldnow.com/images/956526_vt.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:playVideoClip('plV956526'))
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/File-Based_Image_Resource/nesn_logo_vwrapper_77.gif

Rattled Ortiz reacts (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/09/13/rattled_ortiz_reacts)

David Ortiz let it be known that he was unhappy about headlines regarding his MVP comments. (TodaysGlobe)

app2686
09-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I never understood what the big deal about David Ortiz is anyway.

Despite what some may say, David Ortiz is not the best hitter in the AL, and he's not even close to being the best AL MVP candidate.

If anything, his numbers are inflated because he plays DH. Since he's not required to play a defensive position, he has more time to devote to batting. Case in point, when the Boston Red Sox are on the field playing defense, he spends the time in the dugout reviewing tapes of his previous at bats. More importantly, he's immune to the everyday wear and tear of playing both sides of the field. Even if he were required to play first base, the Boston Red Sox would probably lose more games because he's so bad at it. The fact of the matter is David Ortiz is an incomplete, over-rated player.

Sure, people like to brag about his clutch hitting, but the truth is he's terrible at it. This season he bats only .291 with runners in scoring position while Jermaine Dye bats .356 with RISP, Paul Konerko bats .364 w/RISP and Justin Morneau bats .333 w/RISP. Ortiz is even worse w/RISP and 2 outs while these other batters are superior. These three batters also have higher batting averages overall than David Ortiz. They'd make for much better AL MVP candidates because they're better hitters and play defense, regardless of whether or not their teams make the playoffs since an individual player cannot control how well his teammates perform. I actually don't even think should be a factor in MVP voting.