PDA

View Full Version : Jim Thome vs Lefties: Yes-No

Fake Chet Lemon
09-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Overall Thome has added some great balance to our lineup. But should Jim Thome really start against Lefties?

He strikes out about a third of the time and hits in the .240's. That is pretty brutal, isn't it? Every time he gets 2 strikes against a lefty pitcher, I pretty much assume a strikeout. I'd at least like to see Thome sit against really tough lefties.

Chicken Dinner
09-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Kind of like the rest of the team....HuH?

ndgt10
09-10-2006, 11:40 PM
.293/.415/.611/1.026 (AVG/OBP/SLG/OPS)
.281/.385/.560/0.956

1st line is Thome, 2nd is Thomas. Maybe we should have just kept Thomas and upgraded LF and SS.

ondafarm
09-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Some pitchers don't handle lefties well, even some lefties.

Most pitchers do better if they can only face one kind of hitter: all right-handed power guys is considered the easiest. Sometimes lefty slap-hitters drive, even lefties, nuts. Sometimes it's lefty power guys and sometimes it's lefties like AJ. If you are a major league team, you need to do your homework.

I make no solid statements about Thome and should he bat against lefties. He is one of the best hitters on the team and should be in the line up most of the time.

A. Cavatica
09-10-2006, 11:45 PM
Are you nuts? Thome is a likely future Hall of Famer, and he can at least draw a walk. Yes, he should play against lefties.

Chips
09-11-2006, 12:37 AM
.281/.385/.560/0.956

1st line is Thome, 2nd is Thomas. Maybe we should have just kept Thomas and upgraded LF and SS.

This again? :rolleyes:

INSox56
09-11-2006, 09:21 AM
This again? :rolleyes:

LOL what a joke. Not to mention his "guaranteed 100%" ankle prior to the season...

Fake Chet Lemon
09-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Are you nuts? Thome is a likely future Hall of Famer, and he can at least draw a walk. Yes, he should play against lefties.

If it's every teams dream to have a .244 BASE CLOGGER in the middle of the order batting (striking out a ton) against left handed pitching, then yes put me in the nuts column then. Becasue I disagree with that philosophy, guess that makes me crazy.

TomBradley72
09-11-2006, 11:10 AM
I agree with this thread...Thome has never been strong against lefties...and with his current physical shape (wrist/back/hamstring) and his results so far this season against lefties (.238-6-18, 172AB's)..which I'm sure have been even worse since the All Star break...a RH alternative might be a good option. (unfortunately we don't really have an alternative on the roster..since we need Ozuna to replace Pods against lefties). One of the fatal flaws on this years roster...very heavy from the left handed side of the plate...including potential resources at AAA (Sweeney/Owens).

Fake Chet Lemon
09-11-2006, 01:20 PM
I agree with this thread...Thome has never been strong against lefties...and with his current physical shape (wrist/back/hamstring) and his results so far this season against lefties (.238-6-18, 172AB's)..which I'm sure have been even worse since the All Star break...a RH alternative might be a good option. (unfortunately we don't really have an alternative on the roster..since we need Ozuna to replace Pods against lefties). One of the fatal flaws on this years roster...very heavy from the left handed side of the plate...including potential resources at AAA (Sweeney/Owens).

I'd rather DH Cintron right now in a MUST WIN game against a lefty and try to play some small ball.

PorkChopExpress
09-11-2006, 01:36 PM
.281/.385/.560/0.956

Just looking at the numbers doesn't tell the whole story. While Frank was batting in the low .100's early in the year Thome was in the .300's and helping this Sox team plow through the first few months. Now, Thome is struggling a little and Frank is on fire. So right now, it would be nice to have Frank back, but we wouldn't be where we are right now if we didn't have Thome in the beginning of the season.

These two guys should be the top two vote getters for comeback player of the year, and honestly, it is hard to pick between the two of them. I personally give it to Thomas since he is coming back after a few down years (and injuries) whereas Thome only went down last year, and has been consitently good before that.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-11-2006, 05:16 PM
This thread should have nothing to do with Frank Thomas. Do we play Thome against all Lefties? That's it.

CHIsoxNation
09-11-2006, 05:34 PM
This thread should have nothing to do with Frank Thomas. Do we play Thome against all Lefties? That's it.

I agree, someone needs to make one of those images of Thomas similar to the one of Rowand that says he isn't coming back or something along those lines. Love the guy, but give it up.

With that said, Thome should play against lefties. I really don't think there is a better option off the bench. I'd prefer him in there against a lefty over anyone else...even if one of our bench guys killed lefties. I just think his presence makes that entire lineup stronger.

slobes
09-11-2006, 05:43 PM
I'd rather DH Cintron right now in a MUST WIN game against a lefty and try to play some small ball.

It seems even Gload hits better vs LHP than Thome does. Let him or Cintron DH sometimes. I wouldn't have a problem with big Jim sitting out a game against a lefty every once in a while.

JB98
09-11-2006, 05:55 PM
If it's every teams dream to have a .244 BASE CLOGGER in the middle of the order batting (striking out a ton) against left handed pitching, then yes put me in the nuts column then. Becasue I disagree with that philosophy, guess that makes me crazy.

You are crazy, and this thread sucks. Even when Jim makes an out, he sees a lot of pitches and makes the opposing pitcher work. He's basically a left-handed version of Frank Thomas. Even on a day where he's 0-for-4, he's a presence in the lineup, and he has an effect on how the opposing pitcher works to the hitters ahead of him and behind him in the lineup.

Jim is arguably the best hitter on the club, and at worst, he's the third best hitter on the club. I'm tired of this tinker, tinker crap in more ways than one. I'm tired of the tinkering that Guillen is doing, and I'm even more weary of the additional tinkering that is being constantly suggested by posters on WSI.

Put our best nine out there EVERY DAY. Stop outdumbing ourselves, and let's go. Alex Cintron DH'ing instead of Thome? Give me a ****ing break. Do you people listen to yourselves?

The Dude
09-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Yes, Thome should play every game no matter who is pitching. Also...

:threadsucks:

ws05champs
09-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Overall Thome has added some great balance to our lineup. But should Jim Thome really start against Lefties?

He strikes out about a third of the time and hits in the .240's. That is pretty brutal, isn't it? Every time he gets 2 strikes against a lefty pitcher, I pretty much assume a strikeout. I'd at least like to see Thome sit against really tough lefties.

I was thinking the exact same thing during yesterday's game. I'm not real big on stats, but Ozzie should have some statistics on Thome's performance on certain types of pitchers. It's a real balancing act between having a consistant lineup and adjusting it to fit the opposition. I guess that's what they pay Ozzie for and not me.

Dibbs
09-11-2006, 09:23 PM
Although Thome looks completely outmatched often versus lefties, he needs to be in the lineup no matter who is pitching.