PDA

View Full Version : Off Season Surgery For Crede?

Domeshot17
09-10-2006, 10:59 AM
per the whitesox.com website

Sounds as if Credes back is still causing him some pain and the only solution may be off season surgery. It sounds as if the surgery wont be hectic (out patient) but still not good for Captain Clutch

soltrain21
09-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Could be good for us, however. That could take 1 or 2 million off of his asking price.....maybe.

Eh, who cares....We HAVE to sign Joe in the offseason.

TornLabrum
09-10-2006, 11:08 AM
According to the Sun-Times Crede seems to be pretty reluctant to go through with surgery because he's concentrating on the possible things that could go wrong.

Domeshot17
09-10-2006, 11:17 AM
For a pro athlete it has to be tough. I had surgery last october (the day of the parade :(: ) to repair a messed up disc and pinched nerve, and when they started reading me all the "theres a risk of being paralyzed because its close to the spine, a risk of spinal damage etc etc" it kind of had me freaked out just for how life would have been, imagine if you're career relied on your physical health as well.

Myrtle72
09-10-2006, 11:23 AM
I heard that it could also mildly limit his mobility, which is not cool at all.

TornLabrum
09-10-2006, 12:48 PM
For a pro athlete it has to be tough. I had surgery last october (the day of the parade :(: ) to repair a messed up disc and pinched nerve, and when they started reading me all the "theres a risk of being paralyzed because its close to the spine, a risk of spinal damage etc etc" it kind of had me freaked out just for how life would have been, imagine if you're career relied on your physical health as well.
I know what you're saying. My son had surgery for scoliosis a couple of years ago after putting it off a year. The main reason he put it off was because of all the things the doctor said could happen when 7 discs and a rib are removed. I can't say that I blame him one bit.

Kub_Killer_15
09-10-2006, 12:50 PM
I hope this will fix all his problems. We need to re-sign Joe Crede! If we don't who will be playing 3rd base? I can't imagine anybody else replacing him.

aryzner
09-10-2006, 12:58 PM
I have faith that Joe, even if he gets this minor surgery, will be fine and be just as (if not MORE) clutch next year than this year.

SoxEd
09-10-2006, 12:58 PM
After reading the article on cws.com, I have to say I can undestand why JC would be worried/tentative about the prospect of surgery.

I mean, if you're an ordinary Joe Sixpack like me, and your Doctor tells you that you need to undergo surgery that may paralyse you, it's a horrible enough prospect to think about, but if you're a Pro athlete and they tell you that?
His bodily health/superlative mobility is his whole living.

I just hope that he either doesn't need to go under the knife in the off-season, or that the procedure is completely succesful.

<shudder>

thomas35forever
09-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Re-signing him is a must. If the surgery does go successful, the Sox should release a statement saying it failed miserably so that they have a great shot at keeping him.:D:

MadetoOrta
09-10-2006, 01:06 PM
This just makes re-signing Joe that much more complicated. Do you give him the "he's going to be fine $" or the "let's wait and see $"? Borass won't take a discount. I'd have to see 3 months post-surgery before valuing Joe. Sounds harsh but this is a business after all.

All the more reason to thank KW for not trading Fields who, according to Razor Shines in the cubune today, is the best prospect of the Sweeney, Anderson, Owens and Fields brigade.

IlliniSox4Life
09-10-2006, 01:07 PM
All I have to say is Kenny has a tough call this off season as far as deciding how much to offer Joe. I think we need to keep Uribe or get another SS in addition to Cintron so that Alex can be our backup plan if something goes wrong with Joe. As much as I love him, his back has me worried.

JorgeFabregas
09-10-2006, 01:15 PM
I would imagine that the timing is awkward, given that he's made plenty of money, but has yet to sign the contract that will make him set for life.

rocky biddle
09-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Joe will be fine. It's a long season and a nagging injury. I've had three back surgeries, the last (and most major) one was 8 weeks ago. It hurts me just to think of swinging a bat or diving for a line drive. Hell, even bending over to pick up a ground ball would be rough. Joe is a highly conditioned athlete who has access to some of the finest orthopaedic surgeons in the country. Any surgery he'll have will probably just be a procedure to get the disc material out of his body and away from his nerves. And if that doesn't work there are many state-of-the-art procedures they can do to stabilize his spinal column. In the end it's all about conditioning.

southside rocks
09-10-2006, 05:45 PM
This just makes re-signing Joe that much more complicated. Do you give him the "he's going to be fine $" or the "let's wait and see $"? Borass won't take a discount. I'd have to see 3 months post-surgery before valuing Joe. Sounds harsh but this is a business after all.

I would imagine that you structure any deal with incentives that tie to games played, at-bats, etc. The way the A's did with Frank Thomas this year -- not wanting to assume that he would be healthy the whole season with that foot/ankle problem, they gave him a lower base figure and a whole bunch of performance incentives (which FT is busy collecting).

Lip Man 1
09-10-2006, 06:59 PM
According to the story they are talking about MICRO surgery. They aren't planning to open him up from stem to stern and start chipping away at disks are they?

If the good Dr. Beckett is around perhaps he can tells us more about exactly what they are talking about micro-surgery for (shave a bulging disk?) and what are the risks. I completely understand Joe's concern but to me it sounds like he's making a mountain out of a molehill. It doesn't sound like complicated, difficult surgery.

But again I'll defer to the opinion of someone who is a doctor.

Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard... nyuk, nyuk, nyuk. :D:

Lip

Ol' No. 2
09-10-2006, 10:40 PM
According to the story they are talking about MICRO surgery. They aren't planning to open him up from stem to stern and start chipping away at disks are they?

If the good Dr. Beckett is around perhaps he can tells us more about exactly what they are talking about micro-surgery for (shave a bulging disk?) and what are the risks. I completely understand Joe's concern but to me it sounds like he's making a mountain out of a molehill. It doesn't sound like complicated, difficult surgery.

LipEasy to say when you're talking about somebody else's back.:cool:

There's risks with any surgery, and I can understand putting it off if possible.

DumpJerry
09-10-2006, 10:44 PM
I went to the game today with a friend who is a surgical nurse. She said it sounds like a disc removal and is usually problem free and helps a lot.

rocky biddle
09-11-2006, 10:18 AM

Lip

My first surgery was a microdiscetomy. It was an outpatient procedure where they made a small incision and used a scope or something to clean up the disc material that had herniated. It didn't really help me but I know a few people that have gotten significant relief from it. The risks are significantly smaller than with an open procedure (laminectomy/ decompression).

Lip Man 1
09-11-2006, 12:08 PM
No.2:

I'm making an assumption based on what I've read which is why I asked for Dr. Beckett's opinion.

But the bottom line appears to be if the story is accurate, that the Sox are tired of having to be concerned about his back, about him having to sit now and again and want something done about it.

It's Joe's choice of course, but it's also the Sox choice if they want to sign him or try to sign him long term and having a balky back will cause other clubs to think about doing so as well.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
09-11-2006, 03:50 PM
No.2:

I'm making an assumption based on what I've read which is why I asked for Dr. Beckett's opinion.

But the bottom line appears to be if the story is accurate, that the Sox are tired of having to be concerned about his back, about him having to sit now and again and want something done about it.

It's Joe's choice of course, but it's also the Sox choice if they want to sign him or try to sign him long term and having a balky back will cause other clubs to think about doing so as well.

LipTough decision. If he doesn't have the surgery it will probably affect his value to whichever team he plays for. OTOH, he risks losing everything if something goes wrong during the surgery - and there's always that risk.