PDA

View Full Version : Don't blame Boof's parents, they called him John

DumpJerry
09-10-2006, 09:53 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0609100125sep10,1,3312141.story

Boof Bonser legally changed his name from John to Boof when he was 18 or 19 years old. If I had a kid who did that, he would be disowned!

soxinem1
09-10-2006, 10:07 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0609100125sep10,1,3312141.story

Boof Bonser legally changed his name from John to Boof when he was 18 or 19 years old. If I had a kid who did that, he would be disowned!

I agree, but Boof Bonser sounds more like a baseball name than John Bonser.

Boof Bonser sounds more like someone with a cult following, while John Bonser sounds like that ShaNaNa guy from the 70's.

southside rocks
09-10-2006, 10:38 AM
How in the world did he decide on "Boof"?!?! Is it an acronym for something? A nickname with some origin in his childhood?

Very strange guy!

DumpJerry
09-10-2006, 10:45 AM
You kids at home reading this, remember never change your name to something that rhymes with "goof."

TornLabrum
09-10-2006, 11:04 AM
You kids at home reading this, remember never change your name to something that rhymes with "goof."

Or "poof."

Iwritecode
09-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Or "poof."

Or "roof".

Or "hoof". Oh wait, that one doesn't rhyme. The english language really sucks sometimes...

Domeshot17
09-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Just had the best image of misses and mr bonser

"John, don't change your name to Boof. We'll give on the ear ring and even the tattoo, but please dont change your to boof!!"

HotelWhiteSox
09-10-2006, 12:03 PM
attention whore

JorgeFabregas
09-10-2006, 02:18 PM
I heard him on the radio once. He said his mom called him Boof. Yeah, you can blame his parents.

Myrtle72
09-10-2006, 04:31 PM
I wonder what exactly "Boof" means... to him, at least.

DSpivack
09-10-2006, 05:26 PM
I like the alliteration of Boof Bonser as something quirky and unique better than something that starts John Bon, like Bon Bon.

soxinem1
09-10-2006, 09:54 PM
I wonder what exactly "Boof" means... to him, at least.

Wasn't Boof Michael J. Fox's girlfriend in 'Teen Wolf'?

Domeshot17
09-10-2006, 10:20 PM
I wonder if it is something really embarrasing. I grew up with a good friend named paul, but we called him Boomer. years later I found out it was a nickname his mom gave him as a baby because he had a lot of gas. When I saw him 2 or 3 years after I moved, he flipped when I called him that. It was classic. I hope boof involves him doing something really wierd like goin to the bathroom in his pants until he was 23

esbrechtel
09-11-2006, 08:18 AM
i think i prefer boof bonser to coco crisp....maybe we should start a poll

Nellie_Fox
09-11-2006, 11:33 AM
My understanding is that no one, including his family, has ever called him anything but Boof in his memory, so he decided to legally change it to what everyone called him anyway.

ewokpelts
09-11-2006, 12:06 PM
My understanding is that no one, including his family, has ever called him anything but Boof in his memory, so he decided to legally change it to what everyone called him anyway.he's still an idiot....

thomas35forever
09-11-2006, 04:27 PM
Well, Boof does sound like a baseball name. If he does well, he can join the ranks of Vida, Catfish, and Goose.

RichFitztightly
09-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Boof Bonser has absolutely no sense of humor for a guy named "Boof." While I was in Minnesota for the last Sox/Twins series I saw him in Hubert's across the street from the Dome. This was Saturday, after the Friday he pitched against us. There was nobody in the bar except my group, a couple of girls and Boof. Well, I went up to him and said in a joking manner, "Hey Boof, Man... you didn't have to win the game yesterday."

I was expecting a sarcastic comment, along the lines of, "I guess my 89mph was too overpowering for your guys." Or "Hey, it's tough when I'm this good." Or even "Everybody knows the Sox can't hit pitchers they've never seen." You know I was expecting a little friendly trash-talk.

Instead, he replied, "Yes I did." And he stared at me while he took a sip of his beer. So I replied, "Ummm... OK, well, good job then." as I slapped his arm and walked away.

No sense of humor, I was disappointed.

ewokpelts
09-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Well, Boof does sound like a baseball name. If he does well, he can join the ranks of Vida, Catfish, and Goose.catfish and goose are nicknames...boof made his nickname HIS name...kinda mornic

hi im skot
09-11-2006, 11:18 PM
Boof Bonser has absolutely no sense of humor for a guy named "Boof." While I was in Minnesota for the last Sox/Twins series I saw him in Hubert's across the street from the Dome. This was Saturday, after the Friday he pitched against us. There was nobody in the bar except my group, a couple of girls and Boof. Well, I went up to him and said in a joking manner, "Hey Boof, Man... you didn't have to win the game yesterday."

I was expecting a sarcastic comment, along the lines of, "I guess my 89mph was too overpowering for your guys." Or "Hey, it's tough when I'm this good." Or even "Everybody knows the Sox can't hit pitchers they've never seen." You know I was expecting a little friendly trash-talk.

Instead, he replied, "Yes I did." And he stared at me while he took a sip of his beer. So I replied, "Ummm... OK, well, good job then." as I slapped his arm and walked away.

That story just reeks of awkwardness.

soxinem1
09-13-2006, 01:14 AM

makes us appreciate the flakiness of Sparky Lyle and Joe Magrane even more...

Boof is probably trying to get his first multi-year deal, so he's being serious.

Speaking of serious, the Giants were seriously ripped off in that AJ trade..........