PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Tigers 2006 Debacle Thread

Brian26
09-10-2006, 01:46 AM
In their last 31 games, they are 10-21. Their season is spiraling out of control. Remember that the Sox last August and September never played terrible baseball. They played over .500, in fact. The problem was that the Indians were playing out of their minds (.750-.800 baseball).

Also, we heard a lot of talk about how the Tigers were for real- How they weren't like the 2003 Royals. Here's the difference: The Royals played half a championship season in 2003. In 2006, the Tigers have played 2/3 of a championship season. Sox fans know from last year that a true championship team has to play the entire season.

Polanco's hurt. Young is gone. Shelton crashed to earth. Carlos Guillen hurt. Mags is mailing it in. The pitching is dead. Where does this lead? Do you think they are scared? Check out this quote from tigers.com:

Tigers Game Wrap (http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20060909&content_id=1654225&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=det)
"He was angry Saturday at the ball he took off his left side, angry at the heckler who challenged him immediately after that play, angry at the Metrodome and its bouncy artificial surface, and angry at the Tigers' 2-1 loss that whittled their lead in the AL Central to three games and their lead on a playoff spot to 3 1/2."

Patrick134
09-10-2006, 01:52 AM
Great points. Neifi Perez was an atrocious pickup. That offense just doesn't look imposing. Losing Maroth so early was big, but their pitching is overrated .

Brian26
09-10-2006, 01:55 AM
Detroit plays Toronto and KC in the last nine games of the season. Both of those teams will be ready to play.

Patrick134
09-10-2006, 01:56 AM
Detroit plays Toronto and KC in the last nine games of the season. Both of those teams will be ready to play.

But will the tigers be ready to play ? And i wouldn't underestimate whatever the dmitri young story is in causing a decline in morale over there.

LuvSox
09-10-2006, 01:59 AM
Just think about all the money those new Tigers fans threw away on jerseys, tickets, etc. :D:

chisoxfanatic
09-10-2006, 01:59 AM
This is great; however, I hope we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot by losing costly games. We need to sweep that series with them when they come here next homestand.

CHISOXFAN13
09-10-2006, 02:17 AM
I think the Tigers are the worst team in the division right now.

But in all honesty, I hope they win the Wild Card over Minnesota. The Twins would be a potential road block to the Series.

DaleJRFan
09-10-2006, 03:06 AM
The season isn't over yet. I'll reserve my "told ya so, Tigers fans..." posts for when they are mathematically eliminated. Until that day, they are still 3 games up in the division and 3.5 games up in the wildcard.

IlliniSox4Life
09-10-2006, 04:22 AM
Here's a little John Madden type wisdom:

The Tigers still lead the division, and until we pass them, they are still the division leaders. Until that point, I wouldn't count them out.

Grzegorz
09-10-2006, 05:47 AM
They lead the division, until they're out of the lead I'll reserve my comments.

doublem23
09-10-2006, 06:17 AM
http://www.danishglass.com/new_look/pictures/georg_jensen/stainless/bo%20bonfils/georg%20jensen%20bo%20bonfils%20dinner%20fork%2033 35012.jpg

Stick it in 'em.

TornLabrum
09-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Not only will I reserve my comments until the Tigers are out of the lead, but I'll also reserve them until we're out of third place.

MadetoOrta
09-10-2006, 09:50 AM
But will the tigers be ready to play ? And i wouldn't underestimate whatever the dmitri young story is in causing a decline in morale over there.

I don't know anything about the Tigers clubhouse, but it seems borderline evil to dump a veteran who weathered the horrific years one month before - presumably - winning a playoff spot. If Young was in any way popular, then there's a major problem over there. Seems a little like dumping Pudge in Cleveland.

samram
09-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Not only will I reserve my comments until the Tigers are out of the lead, but I'll also reserve them until we're out of third place.

Good policy.

By the way, did anyone notice on the bouncer that Infante missed last night that the only reason Cuddyer scored is that Maggs took about 8 seconds to actually get to the ball? I know he was probably playing deep, but that's not that far back in that park and it's pretty clear he wasn't running in to back up that play.

jdm2662
09-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Until DET is out of first place, there are no comments to be made. Hell, remember when everyone was convinced last year the Sox were going to choke and there was no way the Indians weren't going to the World Series? We saw what happened. The division and wild card are going to come down to who sucks the least. Let's face it, DET, MIN, and the Sox haven't exactly been setting the world on fire the past few weeks.

Hitmen77
09-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Seems like Tiger fans could just as easily be writing a Sox 2006 debacle thread. Let's win more than 2 in a row before we declare the Sox back on track.

Also I agree with Chisoxfan13, I'd rather have the Tigers and Sox make the playoffs than the Twins and Sox. Not only do I think the Sox play better against Detroit, but I like the Tigers better than the Twins.

soxinem1
09-10-2006, 11:02 AM
In their last 31 games, they are 10-21. Their season is spiraling out of control. Remember that the Sox last August and September never played terrible baseball. They played over .500, in fact. The problem was that the Indians were playing out of their minds (.750-.800 baseball).

Also, we heard a lot of talk about how the Tigers were for real- How they weren't like the 2003 Royals. Here's the difference: The Royals played half a championship season in 2003. In 2006, the Tigers have played 2/3 of a championship season. Sox fans know from last year that a true championship team has to play the entire season.

Polanco's hurt. Young is gone. Shelton crashed to earth. Carlos Guillen hurt. Mags is mailing it in. The pitching is dead. Where does this lead? Do you think they are scared? Check out this quote from tigers.com:

Tigers Game Wrap (http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20060909&content_id=1654225&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=det)
"He was angry Saturday at the ball he took off his left side, angry at the heckler who challenged him immediately after that play, angry at the Metrodome and its bouncy artificial surface, and angry at the Tigers' 2-1 loss that whittled their lead in the AL Central to three games and their lead on a playoff spot to 3 1/2."

http://www.nlhs.com/images/hindenburg/big_hindenburg_explodes_over_lakehurst.jpg

Your points are true, but at this stage I'd still root for the Tigers to win a playoff spot, as we have played them better this year than the Twins.

The comparisons with the 2003 Royals are not too fair though, as that team had horrible starting pitching, and just basically outscored the opposition for a few months. Plus that Royals team never had the best record in MLB, they just lead a weak division.

You have to start thinking of playoff matchups and at this point having them limp across the finish line, ala the 2000 White Sox, may be likely.

Brian26
09-10-2006, 11:07 AM
You have to start thinking of playoff matchups and at this point having them limp across the finish line, ala the 2000 White Sox, may be likely.

True, but if they limp across the finish line, they end up being first round fodder for either the Yankees or Oakland anyway since the Sox wouldn't play them. It's almost advantagous to have the Twins get in to at least challenge Oakland or NY, make them use their pitchers up, and tire both teams out.

Brian26
09-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Also I agree with Chisoxfan13, I'd rather have the Tigers and Sox make the playoffs than the Twins and Sox. Not only do I think the Sox play better against Detroit, but I like the Tigers better than the Twins.

I hate both teams equally at this point.

Kub_Killer_15
09-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Yes they are crumbling down farther and farther everyday but Twins and the White Sox have to play good base ball being 3, 3.5 games out going into tonight. If the Tigers win tonight that puts the Twins 4 games out with 20 games to play.If the Twins win they will be 2 games back and a good shot to surpass the Tiggers but I just don't see it happening inless Detriot keeps playing under .400 baseball the rest of the way.

Heres to making the playoffs this year:gulp:

southside rocks
09-10-2006, 11:36 AM
I don't know anything about the Tigers clubhouse, but it seems borderline evil to dump a veteran who weathered the horrific years one month before - presumably - winning a playoff spot. If Young was in any way popular, then there's a major problem over there. Seems a little like dumping Pudge in Cleveland.
Not from what I read, it doesn't. Today's paper -- the Sun Times, I think -- says that Leyland made the call to cut Dmitri because ever since getting back from rehab/DL, Young had been morose and sulky, letting himself get way out of shape (gaining weight), and in Leyland's view, putting himself before the team.

A manager has to do a lot of juggling of disparate personalities over a long period of time, on a ballclub, and most of them aren't psychologists, they're former ballplayers trying to make the best calls they can.

To refer to the cut of Dmitri Young as "borderline evil" is a little odd, IMO.

I notice that Young hasn't spoken about this, which most likely means that either he does not dispute the Tigers' version of events, or that he is more concerned with his own physical and mental health right now -- I hope for his sake it's the latter. He needs sobriety a lot more than he needs the postseason. I wish him well.

I don't wish the Tigers well, though. :redneck

soxinem1
09-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Until DET is out of first place, there are no comments to be made. Hell, remember when everyone was convinced last year the Sox were going to choke and there was no way the Indians weren't going to the World Series? We saw what happened. The division and wild card are going to come down to who sucks the least. Let's face it, DET, MIN, and the Sox haven't exactly been setting the world on fire the past few weeks.

Another excellent point, but in all honesty, who's rotation would you want going down the stretch, and into the playoffs? All the contenders in both leagues have injury or ineffective issues to someone in their top four except the White Sox and Tigers.

Last year CLE and Sox starters were doing pretty well down the stretch. A lot of starters have come up lame this year all over baseball. DET lost Maroth way back in May but the top four have done pretty well. MIN is getting by on Santana, their BP, smoke and mirrors right now with Liriano lurking in the wings.

So I don't think it's going to be who sucks the most, it will be who's starters come through in the next few weeks. I like the White Sox chances, provided (and hope) they show up to play.

wsoxfan111
09-10-2006, 12:17 PM
I believe that Detroit will not make the playoffs.

They ARE spiraling out of control.

A. Cavatica
09-10-2006, 12:47 PM
The season isn't over yet. I'll reserve my "told ya so, Tigers fans..." posts for when they are mathematically eliminated. Until that day, they are still 3 games up in the division and 3.5 games up in the wildcard.

Exactly. They can almost coast in on fumes at this point. If they can just play .500 ball against the likes of the Royals and Jays, or even take one of three in the series against us, they'll be very hard to catch.

HotelWhiteSox
09-10-2006, 01:12 PM
I think we can all agree now that they were for real, even if they are struggling, it has still been a hell of a year for them. I won't make any playoff predictions, but not being able to beat any good teams may be a problem come October

TDog
09-10-2006, 01:14 PM
Exactly. They can almost coast in on fumes at this point. If they can just play .500 ball against the likes of the Royals and Jays, or even take one of three in the series against us, they'll be very hard to catch.

The Tigers had a 10-game lead in August. They now have two teams within 3.5 games of them. Last year's White Sox only had to deal with one team winning every day.

The 1964 Phillies had a 6.5 game lead with 12 games left, I think, and they coasted into a tie for second. Coasting isn't that easy in a three-way race Even if the Tigers do coast into the postseason, they have to win two series to get to the World Series. Optimism can't be running high in Motown.

If the White Sox and Twins just win, the 2006 Tigers will rank as one of the great collapses of all time, much as the 2005 White Sox were expected to be by many at this time last year.

TheOldRoman
09-10-2006, 01:23 PM
True, but if they limp across the finish line, they end up being first round fodder for either the Yankees or Oakland anyway since the Sox wouldn't play them. It's almost advantagous to have the Twins get in to at least challenge Oakland or NY, make them use their pitchers up, and tire both teams out.
I disagree. If If Liriano is healthy, you will get him or Sanrana at least three times during a 5 game series. I could see the Twins going through either team in the playoffs. I don't want to play them in the ALCS.

Brian26
09-10-2006, 02:29 PM
I disagree. If If Liriano is healthy, you will get him or Sanrana at least three times during a 5 game series. I could see the Twins going through either team in the playoffs. I don't want to play them in the ALCS.

But you have to play somebody. Show some confidence in the Sox. They can beat anybody easily in a short series as long as they can just make it to the playoffs.

slavko
09-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Not from what I read, it doesn't. Today's paper -- the Sun Times, I think -- says that Leyland made the call to cut Dmitri because ever since getting back from rehab/DL, Young had been morose and sulky, letting himself get way out of shape (gaining weight), and in Leyland's view, putting himself before the team.

A manager has to do a lot of juggling of disparate personalities over a long period of time, on a ballclub, and most of them aren't psychologists, they're former ballplayers trying to make the best calls they can.

To refer to the cut of Dmitri Young as "borderline evil" is a little odd, IMO.

I notice that Young hasn't spoken about this, which most likely means that either he does not dispute the Tigers' version of events, or that he is more concerned with his own physical and mental health right now -- I hope for his sake it's the latter. He needs sobriety a lot more than he needs the postseason. I wish him well.

I don't wish the Tigers well, though. :redneck

Aha, that makes sense of it all. Dumping Young had to go past Leyland, and Leyland knows what he's doing. Remember all those ninth inning rallies to win games the Tigers had early on? What's happening now is what happens when a team finds that it can't turn rallies on and off like a faucet. 162 games is a long season.

This stuff is fun. It's even more fun when you've won it all in recent memory.

doublem23
09-10-2006, 03:58 PM

I was convinced the Sox were going to hold on to that lead. I'm also convinced Detroit is finishing behind the Sox and Twins.

doublem23
09-10-2006, 03:59 PM

I would love to play the Twins in the ALCS, but it ain't gonna happen because they ALWAYS ****ING CHOKE IN THE PLAY-OFFS.

doublem23
09-10-2006, 04:05 PM
But they haven't been playing .500 ball. If they lose today, they're something like 10-22 in their last 32 games, barely .300 ball. This isn't like last year when the Sox were actually coasting on their huge lead and the Indians went berserk for 2 months... The Tigers are literally falling apart.

If they play at this pace for the last 20 games of the season, they're going to win 91 or 92, which will not get you into the post-season.

Detroit is done.

EDIT... Twins just put up a 3-spot in the 6th, giving Johan a 6-run cushion, which I believe to be insurmountable. Come on Sox, cut it to 2 1/2!

Myrtle72
09-10-2006, 05:29 PM
So, I just saw that the Tigers got one run in the 9th of todays game to make it a 12 - 1 loss for them. Well, good try, I guess.

southside rocks
09-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Aha, that makes sense of it all. Dumping Young had to go past Leyland, and Leyland knows what he's doing. Remember all those ninth inning rallies to win games the Tigers had early on? What's happening now is what happens when a team finds that it can't turn rallies on and off like a faucet. 162 games is a long season.

This stuff is fun. It's even more fun when you've won it all in recent memory.
Leyland was also quoted somewhere as saying that he wasn't going to let clubhouse issues tear up the '06 Tigers the way he let them tear up the '99 Rockies. I have no clue what went on with that team (Leyland's last managerial stint before this one), but he jumped all over the Dmitri Young situation ...

Yeah, I think this stuff is really interesting. I'm always curious about the intangibles that go into a winning or losing season for a ballclub, and the biggest intangible is the personalities.

The Tigers seem to be playing with little or no confidence lately.

Tiger23
09-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Its getting hot over here.

Releasing Young was the right move. Bringing him back in the first place wasn't. There was even a message sent to a reporter from someone in the clubhouse saying the players were dreading his return.

I still believe the Tigers make the playoffs by riding the arms of Rogers and Verlander.

One thing in their favor is the fact that the Sox and the Twins have to play eachother again. Granted it is only three games, but it can't hurt.

On thing going against them is three more games in Chicago agaisnt the Sox. They haven't exactly performed well against them this year.

Play .500 for the past 3 weeks and they can set up their postseason rotation already. Now that they've made it difficult for themselves, it should at least be exciting.

southside rocks
09-10-2006, 07:15 PM
Its getting hot over here.

Releasing Young was the right move. Bringing him back in the first place wasn't. There was even a message sent to a reporter from someone in the clubhouse saying the players were dreading his return.

I still believe the Tigers make the playoffs by riding the arms of Rogers and Verlander.

One thing in their favor is the fact that the Sox and the Twins have to play eachother again. Granted it is only three games, but it can't hurt.

On thing going against them is three more games in Chicago agaisnt the Sox. They haven't exactly performed well against them this year.

Play .500 for the past 3 weeks and they can set up their postseason rotation already. Now that they've made it difficult for themselves, it shold at least be exciting.
Well, IMO if Dmitri Young were an asset to any club, he'd have been signed by one by now. Heck, it's September, and the guy can hit. The fact that he hasn't been picked up at all tells me that either he's not available for personal reasons, or no club wants that in their clubhouse right now.

I agree, it's getting pretty interesting in Tiger Town! I did not expect the Twins to take 3 of that series. :o:

1951Campbell
09-10-2006, 07:24 PM
I'd love to pile on the Tigers, but I seem to remember one of these eaxct same threads about the Twins early this summer.

Oblong
09-10-2006, 10:13 PM
The breakdown is simply the offense. The pitching's always been there. The ERA for the starters was better in August than any other month. (I think it was 2.71)

Granderson's hit his wall. Maggs is only starting to heat up. Inge is what he is. His defnese makes him servicable offensively but if you rely on him then you are in trouble. Shelton was crappy from May-July and Casey's not been any better. Polanco had a good average but not much else and he's been gone since mid August.

Monroe and Thames are about 1 and one half good players when you put them together.

I watched the final inning of the Sox game on Friday night. I'm still amazed at that offense. Konerko followed by AJ. I would have put $100 down on the Sox to win that game.

With the Tigers I don't get that feeling anymore. I just want them to squeek out a spot so that a great season isn't wasted. It's been so long.

FarWestChicago
09-10-2006, 10:16 PM
The breakdown is simply the offense. The pitching's always been there. The ERA for the starters was better in August than any other month. (I think it was 2.71)

Granderson's hit his wall. Maggs is only starting to heat up. Inge is what he is. His defnese makes him servicable offensively but if you rely on him then you are in trouble. Shelton was crappy from May-July and Casey's not been any better. Polanco had a good average but not much else and he's been gone since mid August.

Monroe and Thames are about 1 and one half good players when you put them together.

I watched the final inning of the Sox game on Friday night. I'm still amazed at that offense. Konerko followed by AJ. I would have put $100 down on the Sox to win that game.

With the Tigers I don't get that feeling anymore. I just want them to squeek out a spot so that a great season isn't wasted. It's been so long.Anybody who says the Tigers don't have any decent fans is a dumbass. :D:

A. Cavatica
09-10-2006, 10:59 PM
I feel for ya, Oblong. We know from long waits.

The Sox and Tigers are inextricably linked this year. For the first half it seemed we could not win without Detroit winning, and now we can't lose without you losing. I would've loved for this race to be a season-long duel to 110 wins; what a shame one team is going to get in by virtue of collapsing slightly less than the other.

Oblong
09-10-2006, 11:16 PM
and make no mistake, I'm rooting for Chicago over MN all the way. As I said in another thread last week, I hate the Twins. I hate that stadium. I hate everything about them. That place... it's haunted. Every time we play there something freaky happens. Even normal courses of actions have a way of going the extra mile.

In July the Tigers were leading in the 8th on Sunday, getting ready to sweep the series. MN came back to win. That's fine in retrospect. Even before the series it's fine. You always hope for 2 of 3 on the road. Especially in that place and especially facing Liriano on Friday and Santana on Monday. 2 of 3? Take it any time. But no. Couldn't just be a loss. It had to be a total meltdown where everybody makes errors and the pitcher balks then you get a bases clearing double. Then you get some hits off nathan in the ninth where the last hit that looked to be the icing on the cake turns out to win it. Just twist it while you got the knife in.

I also think it does something to the umps. The atmosphere makes them inconsistent. Not favoritism, just inconsistent.

I'd say how I really feel about them but what's the point in seeing a bunch of asterisks. Belive me, it's there.

Come on, let's make a deal. Just take out MN please. I just want a playoff spot. I want to sit in my winter jacket in October at a baseball game. I want to see a baseball game on my birthday involving my team. If you do that I'll go buy a Sox hat and wear it proudly.

buehrle4cy05
09-10-2006, 11:29 PM
and make no mistake, I'm rooting for Chicago over MN all the way. As I said in another thread last week, I hate the Twins. I hate that stadium. I hate everything about them. That place... it's haunted. Every time we play there something freaky happens. Even normal courses of actions have a way of going the extra mile.

In July the Tigers were leading in the 8th on Sunday, getting ready to sweep the series. MN came back to win. That's fine in retrospect. Even before the series it's fine. You always hope for 2 of 3 on the road. Especially in that place and especially facing Liriano on Friday and Santana on Monday. 2 of 3? Take it any time. But no. Couldn't just be a loss. It had to be a total meltdown where everybody makes errors and the pitcher balks then you get a bases clearing double. Then you get some hits off nathan in the ninth where the last hit that looked to be the icing on the cake turns out to win it. Just twist it while you got the knife in.

I also think it does something to the umps. The atmosphere makes them inconsistent. Not favoritism, just inconsistent.

I'd say how I really feel about them but what's the point in seeing a bunch of asterisks. Belive me, it's there.

Come on, let's make a deal. Just take out MN please. I just want a playoff spot. I want to sit in my winter jacket in October at a baseball game. I want to see a baseball game on my birthday involving my team. If you do that I'll go buy a Sox hat and wear it proudly.

I agree. **** the Twins.:cool:

whitesoxfan
09-10-2006, 11:42 PM

Sounds good :smile:

I also hate everything about the Twinkies. That damn dome, that damn "grass", their damn manager, their damn fans...yeah I think that summed it up well.

One last thing...we'll take the division, you guys can take the wild card. Deal? :redneck

ma-gaga
09-10-2006, 11:45 PM
That place... it's haunted. Every time we play there something freaky happens. Even normal courses of actions have a way of going the extra mile.

In July the Tigers were leading in the 8th on Sunday, getting ready to sweep the series. MN came back to win. ... But no. Couldn't just be a loss. It had to be a total meltdown where everybody makes errors and the pitcher balks then you get a bases clearing double.

Newbie. :redneck

Search thru the archives here. 2002 thru 2004, and even last year had several 'bad' losses between the W.Sox and the Twins. The Twins have a way of pulling **** out of their collective asses. I'd have called it "luck", but I've just seen too damn many of those types of wins to attribute it to pure random twists of fate, or the standard cliche 'game of inches'. They do it to everyone.

That Detroit game was one of the strangest ones this year, but I've seen worse. The top two I can think of are the Keith Foulke meltdown, and they beat Anaheim by breaking Molina's wrist. Every team get's a break here and there, but they do something very odd up here.

Personally, I think they must be cheating. Nick Punto's on steroids!

A. Cavatica
09-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Newbie. :redneck

Search thru the archives here. 2002 thru 2004, and even last year had several 'bad' losses between the W.Sox and the Twins. The Twins have a way of pulling **** out of their collective asses. I'd have called it "luck", but I've just seen too damn many of those types of wins to attribute it to pure random twists of fate, or the standard cliche 'game of inches'. They do it to everyone.

That Detroit game was one of the strangest ones this year, but I've seen worse. The top two I can think of are the Keith Foulke meltdown, and they beat Anaheim by breaking Molina's wrist. Every team get's a break here and there, but they do something very odd up here.

Personally, I think they must be cheating. Nick Punto's on steroids!

Yep. And we won it all last year by doing that even better than you did. I haven't looked at this year's records vs Pythagorean projections but I'll bet the Sox are back to normal, and the Twins are back to beating their projections by their customary 6-10 games.

Baby Fisk
09-11-2006, 09:33 AM
My buddy the Tigers fan is despondent this morning. He's ranting like a madman in a spiral of depression. :(:

Is this how we come off to others whenever the Sox tank on us?

Oblong
09-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Yes.

It's all the same. When I read the post game threads here after a loss I'd think the Sox are the worst team in the world and they have no fans. THen I read them on my Tiger forum after a Tiger loss and they are the worst team in the world. When it's a win the mood is "That's more like it! We're gonna win it all!"

We are all bi-polar!

It's be a sociologist's wet dream.

I wrote on the website I moderate for the Tigers that the worst part about all of this, excluding the playoffs, is that the season is over in a few weeks.

Baby Fisk
09-11-2006, 09:58 AM
I wrote on the website I moderate for the Tigers that the worst part about all of this, excluding the playoffs, is that the season is over in a few weeks.
I can't believe baseball is almost over (just 7 weeks to go). This season really flew by. Once Detroit established its massive lead, it started to feel like a race against the clock to catch them. A greater sense of urgency to every game made the season go by a lot quicker.

Fenway
09-11-2006, 11:22 AM
The tumblers are certainly clicking into place for the Tigers to blow everything amazing

SOXintheBURGH
09-11-2006, 11:32 AM
The tumblers are certainly clicking into place for the Tigers to blow everything amazing

How long before its measured to the 69 Cubs as worst (at least funniest) collapse ever?

Fenway
09-11-2006, 11:48 AM
How long before its measured to the 69 Cubs as worst (at least funniest) collapse ever?

It will join the 64 Phillies and the 78 Red Sox that is for sure..

Does anybody else smell a one game playoff game at the end of this?????

Sox-Tigers
Sox-Twins
Twins-Tigers
Tigers-Twins

Good luck on the west coast trip

slavko
09-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Hey collapse lovers,
Which year was it in the late 90's (?) when the Yankees blew almost all of a huge division lead, righted the ship before the end of the season and breezed through the playoffs and WS?
Thanks.

Heffalump
09-11-2006, 11:59 AM
It does appear that the Tigers are falling apart. But just like the Sox last year, they are STILL in first place until they are knocked out of first place. I bet the Sox or Twins would love to be in the Tigers position right now and have a 2 game lead, and still have the wild card to fall back on.

I hope they continue their collapse, but Leyland is a great manager and he will do everything in his power to prevent it. Meanwhile, Ozzie is fighting with fans, laughing with Freddy while the Sox blow a game, and busy with his documentary and commercials.

I know it is not the same thing, but I am shocked at the 'collapse' of the Sox this year. Considering their increased roster of talent when compared to last year, their overall performance has been a disappointment to me so far. Hopefully, they pull it out, the Tigers win the Wild Card, and the "pirhannas" go home and chew on the Vikings over the winter.

Johnny Mostil
09-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Hey collapse lovers,
Which year was it in the late 90's (?) when the Yankees blew almost all of a huge division lead, righted the ship before the end of the season and breezed through the playoffs and WS?
Thanks.

In 2000, the Yankees lost 15 of their last 18, including their last 7. Boston had been 9 back when that skid began and finished 2.5 back.

ma-gaga
09-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Does anybody else smell a one game playoff game at the end of this?????

One game? I figure there will be a three way tie at the end of the year and they'll need two games to sort it all out. :o:

They were supposed to have the tie breaking "coin flips" last weekend. Anyone hear the results?

:cool:

Johnny Mostil
09-11-2006, 01:00 PM
It will join the 64 Phillies and the 78 Red Sox that is for sure..

FWIW, as near as I can tell (and I've probably screwed this up somewhere), the Tigers are 10 for their last 32 (starting 8/8). Worst 32-game stretches for some other teams of note:

'64 Phillies: 12-20 (8/30 to 9/30)
'69 Cubs: 11-21 (most recent 8/24 to 9/27)
'78 Red Sox: 13-19 (8/14 to 9/16)
'00 Yankees: 12-20 (5/11 to 6/18)
'05 White Sox: 14-18 (most recent 8/12 to 9/15).

FielderJones
09-11-2006, 04:52 PM
They were supposed to have the tie breaking "coin flips" last weekend. Anyone hear the results?

Coin flips are tomorrow (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060908&content_id=1652091&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb).

And here is the Hangar18 rule:
Tie-breaking procedures only come into focus when the entire championship season, commonly known as the regular season, is finished. That includes rescheduled games of those previously postponed, if deemed necessary. Playoff games to break ties in the standings are considered part of the regular season, with all statistics counting.

The Immigrant
09-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Nick Punto's on steroids!

Yeah, and so is Juan Rincon.

Oh wait, you're telling me that Juan Rincon has already been busted for steroids? You mean people actually refer to him as "Roids" Rincon? Surely that was before he joined the team that represents all that is pure in baseball, right?

Patrick134
09-11-2006, 05:26 PM
My buddy the Tigers fan is despondent this morning. He's ranting like a madman in a spiral of depression. :(:

Is this how we come off to others whenever the Sox tank on us?

It's how we come off in every post-loss postgame thread in the past 3 months.

Baby Fisk
09-12-2006, 04:40 PM
More brutal satire at the Tigers' expense, from thebrushback.com, a satirical website:

Tigers Wish They Won 10 More Games in First Half (http://www.thebrushback.com/tigers_full.htm)

There are a lot of gems in this week's edition: linky (http://www.thebrushback.com/index.htm)

MarySwiss
09-12-2006, 04:45 PM
More brutal satire at the Tigers' expense, from thebrushback.com, a satirical website:

Tigers Wish They Won 10 More Games in First Half (http://www.thebrushback.com/tigers_full.htm)

There are a lot of gems in this week's edition: linky (http://www.thebrushback.com/index.htm)

Baby Fisk, that is sweet. They don't spare the Twinkies either!

"Let’s just hope that the Twins are this season’s Cleveland Indians and will fall just short at the last minute. Otherwise we’ll be the ones sitting at home and they’ll be the ones getting swept by the Yankees.”

SoxEd
09-12-2006, 05:04 PM

I can't believe that folk are so stupid that the Brushback has to print that little disclaimer at the bottom of the page about 'this is satire and not real news'.

Well, OK, I can believe it, but I lament, decry, and execrate it all the same.
:whiner:

thomas35forever
09-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Boers and Bernstein were talking about this slide the Tigers are having. Unless they wake up soon (hopefully they won't), they'll be Detroit's version of the '69 Cubs.

Tragg
09-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Boers and Bernstein were talking about this slide the Tigers are having. Unless they wake up soon (hopefully they won't), they'll be Detroit's version of the '69 Cubs.
Their second half record is about the same as....ours is.
Let's just catch them.