PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 3.5 Back - Sox vs. Jndians 9/9/06 Postgame Thread

Unregistered
09-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Scary 7th, but big win anyway...

:supernana:

Myrtle72
09-09-2006, 10:33 PM
An important win, definitely.

But it was way uglier than it had to be.

I guess it turned out okay though, so I won't complain :)

vernhillssoxfan
17 for Jon. Almost had a heart attack during the 7th tonight.:o:

cleanwsox
Hopefully we didn't lose any momentum for tomorrow, but great win nonetheless. Dye, Thome, and PK.... that's how you create fear!

Kub_Killer_15
Wow what a game! Nice day for Jon Garland and the Offence but they middle relief oviously did not have it today. But doesn't matter in the W/L colum! 3.5 games back :bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

Catch your breath kittens here we come

DickAllen72
All I have to say is.....

WHEW!!!!!

Myrtle72
Anyone who DIDN'T almost have a heart attack in the 7th is crazy. I bet Garland was PISSED.

DickAllen72
09-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Hopefully we didn't lose any momentum for tomorrow, but great win nonetheless. Dye, Thome, and PK.... that's how you create fear!

I just hope this wasn't another "Paniagua game".

CanBuehrleWait
09-09-2006, 10:34 PM
3.5 back is nice. McCarthy, Logan and Hermanson:angry::angry::angry::angry:. Everybody else :gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp:

jabrch
09-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Anyone who DIDN'T almost have a heart attack in the 7th is crazy. I bet Garland was PISSED.

I bet he's thrilled now!!!!

But it does suck to burn the whole bullpen in a 10-1 game.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-09-2006, 10:35 PM
At this time of the year, all wins are B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!!!

JB98
09-09-2006, 10:36 PM
I'm happy with the win, but I'm aggravated that MacDougal and Thornton had to be called upon to save the day.

We had a 10-1 lead in the seventh. McCarthy and the other middle relievers should be able to lock that up. It's ridiculous that five relievers had to be used in order to protect a nine-run lead.

whitesoxfan14
I missed the beginning of the game, but I still have faith that there's a possibility that Detriot can get kicked out of their number 1 spot.....just keep losing detriot, keep losing....

For all sox players who did well, this one's for you....:gulp:

HerzogVon
All set to type "MACDOUHGAL DOOD IT!!!" Then Ozzie changes pitchers. OK, so ALL'S WELL WHEN 'YA GOES TO THE WELL".

4th Gen. Sox Fan
:winner
Awesome game (minus the top of the 7th) for JD, a single shy of the cycle, for Paulie with 2 HR's and 5 RBI's, and for Jon getting W #17. Now just 3.5 back and closing.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-09-2006, 10:37 PM
I thought MacDougal deserved the opportunity to close it out. Interesting, but Thornton made it look brilliant.

Wonder where Ozzie's confidence is with Bobby?

Myrtle72
09-09-2006, 10:38 PM
I'm very excited that we're only 3.5 back, especially after closing such a huge gap in the past two months.

But I'd feel a whole lot better if we could just gain one game on Minnesota. I don't want to put that off any longer.

Frankfan4life
09-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Finally, it's "them" instead of "us" who come up short on a comeback. :D:

Cuck the Fubs
09-09-2006, 10:39 PM
hell of a game......

Garland = Jose of 05'

Finish the deal tomorrow

Myrtle72
Wonder where Ozzie's confidence is with Bobby?

He says he has faith in Bobby, but I don't believe that.

whitesoxfan14
this will sound dumb, but what time is the game tomorrow? My calendar i got at the game says to be determined.....

JB98
I'm very excited that we're only 3.5 back, especially after closing such a huge gap in the past two months.

But I'd feel a whole lot better if we could just gain one game on Minnesota. I don't want to put that off any longer.

Just remember, all we have to do is catch one of those two teams. Tonight was a good night for the Sox, even if it didn't result in us taking the wild-card lead.

Of the two teams ahead of us, I think Detroit is the more vulnerable of the two.

JB98
09-09-2006, 10:40 PM
this will sound dumb, but what time is the game tomorrow? My calendar i got at the game says to be determined.....

1:05

Fake Chet Lemon
Awesome game (minus the top of the 7th) for JD, a single shy of the cycle, for Paulie with 2 HR's and 5 RBI's, and for Jon getting W #17. Now just 3.5 back and closing.

After that big crooked number by the Tribe, to come up that next half-inning and just lay down was brutal though. You gotta answer with something, get a guy on base at least. Regardless, let's beat CC tomorrow while Santana beats the Tigers and it's an awesome series.

Mercy!
I was thinking in the beginning of this game that I hate it when we score, like, 90 runs in one game 'cause you know what that usually portends for tomorrow's (and sometimes more than tomorrow's) game. But when the other team comes back and scores 80 runs I guess that changes the mojo back the other way?

Also, due to Brian26 telling us about Bert Blyleven's various faux pas, I think I will forever have an unfortunate word association whenever I see Shin-Soo Choo come to bat.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1328951#post1328951

Well, that's all.

cburns
09-09-2006, 10:41 PM
I think Bobby will get the chance to close out the game tomorrow, or if its a blowout either way I think he will pitch just to show Ozzie where he is at as far as his hip is concerned. If he pitches well then he will close when the opportunity is presented.

whitesoxfan14
09-09-2006, 10:41 PM
1:05

ok thanks

JB98
09-09-2006, 10:43 PM
I think Bobby will get the chance to close out the game tomorrow, or if its a blowout either way I think he will pitch just to show Ozzie where he is at as far as his hip is concerned. If he pitches well then he will close when the opportunity is presented.

MacDougal has pitched the last two nights. He definitely won't be available, so Bobby will certainly be on the mound if we have a lead late tomorrow.

sox1970
09-09-2006, 10:44 PM
Great job by McDougal and Thornton to finish off a scary situation.

Any word if Crede is playing tomorrow? Charlotte's season ended tonight. Wonder if Fields could be here by morning. Cintron, Ozuna, and Mackowiak don't exactly thrill me at 3rd.

samram
09-09-2006, 10:44 PM
I'm happy with the win, but I'm aggravated that MacDougal and Thornton had to be called upon to save the day.

We had a 10-1 lead in the seventh. McCarthy and the other middle relievers should be able to lock that up. It's ridiculous that five relievers had to be used in order to protect a nine-run lead.

Just like the game against TB a couple of weeks ago. These things do matter in the long run, even with the win tonight.

JorgeFabregas
09-09-2006, 10:45 PM
When was the last time we were this close to Detroit?

Fake Chet Lemon
09-09-2006, 10:46 PM
Great job by McDougal and Thornton to finish off a scary situation.

Any word if Crede is playing tomorrow? Charlotte's season ended tonight. Wonder if Fields could be here by morning. Cintron, Ozuna, and Mackowiak don't exactly thrill me at 3rd.

Story on whitesox.com said Ozzie will see if Crede is sore tomorrow after taking BP today to determine.

JB98
09-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Just like the game against TB a couple of weeks ago. These things do matter in the long run, even with the win tonight.

Bingo.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-09-2006, 10:48 PM
I've been pushing hard all year to get McCarthy in the rotation. But it's looking like McCarthy the reliever misses another playoff roster this year.

samram
09-09-2006, 10:48 PM
When was the last time we were this close to Detroit?

I think after the 7-1 win over Verlander at Comerica back in July. They won the next two to extend the lead to 5.5.

TommyJohn
09-09-2006, 10:49 PM
All I have to say is.....

WHEW!!!!!

You took the words right out of my mouth.

JorgeFabregas
09-09-2006, 10:50 PM
I think after the 7-1 win over Verlander at Comerica back in July. They won the next two to extend the lead to 5.5.
Garland was the winning pitcher in that game as well, right? :D:

mccoydp
09-09-2006, 10:51 PM
1906 jerseys tomorrow, correct?

samram
09-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Garland was the winning pitcher in that game as well, right? :D:

He was. Seems to be a common theme in the second half, no?:wink:

cburns
09-09-2006, 10:52 PM
MacDougal has pitched the last two nights. He definitely won't be available, so Bobby will certainly be on the mound if we have a lead late tomorrow.

Another thing to remember is that MacDougal has been injured all year so he has a pretty fresh arm as far as that is concerned. Not that I think he should be available tomorrow. If the Sox starters can go 6 innings, we have a combination of MacDougal-Thorton-Jenks, which is absolutely nails. Also, I believe the Sox bullpen has the least amount of innings pitched in baseball.

CLR01
09-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Not that I think he should be available tomorrow.

He won't be needed. Javier is going to go 7+ with Cotts finishing it off for another Sox win. :cool:

cburns
09-09-2006, 10:55 PM
I've been pushing hard all year to get McCarthy in the rotation. But it's looking like McCarthy the reliever misses another playoff roster this year.

I wonder what the percent of his runners inheirited (sp?) have scored? I imagine the percent must be high, or I'm just really down on Brandon right now.

cburns
09-09-2006, 10:56 PM
He won't be needed. Javier is going to go 7+ with Cotts finishing it off for another Sox win. :cool:

How many strikeouts?

Grzegorz
09-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Another thing to remember is that MacDougal has been injured all year so he has a pretty fresh arm as far as that is concerned. Not that I think he should be available tomorrow.

That is the downside of today's game; Thornton and MacDougal were used when there should have been no need to use them with a ten to one lead.

I hope Vasquez goes deep tomorrow to avoid using guys like Thornton and MacDougal.

CLR01
09-09-2006, 10:58 PM
I wonder what the percent of his runners inheirited (sp?) have scored? I imagine the percent must be high, or I'm just really down on Brandon right now.

10 of 30 have scored. I don't know if (doubt) it includes tonight.

CLR01
09-09-2006, 10:59 PM
How many strikeouts?

If you're planning on taking this to your bookie I am not responsible for any losses.:smile:

Lip Man 1
09-09-2006, 11:00 PM
In the print edition of The Sporting News this week (Dodgers relief guy and Nick Punto on the cover...) Frank Thomas is quoted as saying this year's White Sox team isn't as good as last season's because the bullpen is worse.

(And he said that obviously BEFORE tonight.)

Boone Logan......oh my...

Lip

kitekrazy
09-09-2006, 11:00 PM

This doesn't make me very optimistic about their chances. They'll be playing 2 teams trying to get into the playoffs. I don't think the Sox will be working with 9 run leads.

The pen had to remind us that the pitching is not playoff caliber.

Note to Ozzie: No more Brandon McCarthy.
Note to Don Cooper: Fix it.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-09-2006, 11:01 PM
How about some love for Pods? I loved how aggressive his leads were today, he's showing some stones again. Our lineup really clicks when he has games like tonight. I know Cleveland is the team to run on, but I'm hoping it's more than that and Pods is getting back on track.

cburns
09-09-2006, 11:04 PM
10 of 30 have scored. I don't know if (doubt) it includes tonight.

I'm not sure how that stacks up to the league, but I just don't like it when Brandon comes in during the middle of an inning. Home run to Pena not withstanding.

Grzegorz
09-09-2006, 11:04 PM
Frank Thomas is quoted as saying this year's White Sox team isn't as good as last season's because the bullpen is worse.

Lip

I like the trio of Jenks-Thornton-MacDougal; period.

cburns
09-09-2006, 11:05 PM

If you're planning on taking this to your bookie I am not responsible for any losses.:smile:

If I even had money to put down, I certainly wouldn't put it on Javier.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-09-2006, 11:05 PM
This doesn't make me very optimistic about their chances. They'll be playing 2 teams trying to get into the playoffs.

Would you rather play the teams with ZERO pressure, like KC and Tampa Bay? No thanks. The teams in the race seem to play tighter, and worse. Look at Detroit.

At this time of year, I really think you throw "strength of schedule" in the crapper, it really becomes meaningless in September. KC is giving everyone fits.

kitekrazy
09-09-2006, 11:06 PM
He was. Seems to be a common theme in the second half, no?:wink:

Only when he goes the distance.

kitekrazy
09-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Another thing to remember is that MacDougal has been injured all year so he has a pretty fresh arm as far as that is concerned. Not that I think he should be available tomorrow. If the Sox starters can go 6 innings, we have a combination of MacDougal-Thorton-Jenks, which is absolutely nails. Also, I believe the Sox bullpen has the least amount of innings pitched in baseball.

But they seem to do a great amount of damage when they are used. Hopefully Ozzie will not use McCarthy or Cotts anymore.

PeteWard
09-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Don't you love reading box scores like tonight's? All those hits and averages rising...

Well, until you scan down to the pitching part and get past Garland. :o:

Nevertheless, I think the Sox will pass Detroit and as everyone has been saying, it will all come down to that last series at the Hump. But not for the wild card.

Hafner out for the year. I guess that benefits whoever plays Cleveland most. Sox have 4 more with them. What about the other teams?

Fake Chet Lemon
09-09-2006, 11:12 PM
Don't you love reading box scores like tonight's? All those hits and averages rising...

Well, until you scan down to the pitching part and get past Garland. :o:

Nevertheless, I think the Sox will pass Detroit and as everyone has been saying, it will all come down to that last series at the Hump. But not for the wild card.

Hafner out for the year. I guess that benefits whoever plays Cleveland most. Sox have 4 more with them. What about the other teams?

Just don't get swept in Anaheim, that's the only way they get in the Wild Card race. If we win that first game in Anaheim, a ton of worrying can be eliminated.

PeteWard
09-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Just don't get swept in Anaheim, that's the only way they get in the Wild Card race. If we win that first game in Anaheim, a ton of worrying can be eliminated.

No kidding. I will be happy with a win tomorrow and a 3-3 road trip.

Vernam
09-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Note to Ozzie: No more Brandon McCarthy.
Note to Don Cooper: Fix it.Give me a frickin' break. :rolleyes: Three weeks ago, people were begging for McCarthy to take Jose's spot in the rotation. Now he's supposed to be benched?

I didn't post in last night's post-game thread, so I'd like to say right now that the booing of Jenks made me sick. As did the booing of Buehrle on Thursday.

Nice to see the well-rounded offense tonight -- if we faced Victor Martinez more often, Pods' steal total would approach what he did last year. And that catch by JD was as exciting as his triple, which is saying something.

I agree with JB98, who said wasting the 'pen tonight might haunt us tomorrow. But on the bright side, Jenks will be rested. Not necessarily healthy, but rested . . .

Vernam

PeteWard
09-09-2006, 11:14 PM
JG featured on ESPNs MLB home page.

HotelWhiteSox
09-09-2006, 11:19 PM
Throwing in a pinch of JD love

Babe The Blue Ox
That's weird - My ESPN home page shows Johan.

HotelWhiteSox
and PK, who is back

kitekrazy
09-09-2006, 11:26 PM
Give me a frickin' break. :rolleyes: Three weeks ago, people were begging for McCarthy to take Jose's spot in the rotation. Now he's supposed to be benched?

Duh...yeah.:rolleyes: He's not getting the job done. What does "people were begging for McCarthy to take Jose's spot in the rotation" have to do with it?

slobes
09-09-2006, 11:27 PM
A win is a win is a win. More silver lining: the guys that let up all the runs hopefully won't be the guys that we'll be using out of the bullpen down the stretch (except maybe McCarthy). Good job by the offense today.

kitekrazy
09-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Would you rather play the teams with ZERO pressure, like KC and Tampa Bay? No thanks. The teams in the race seem to play tighter, and worse. Look at Detroit.

At this time of year, I really think you throw "strength of schedule" in the crapper, it really becomes meaningless in September. KC is giving everyone fits.
I hope you're right. I didn't see the Twins playing that way against the Sox. Hopefully Santana is due for a bad outing. They have a lot of road games left and that is their weakness.

The Sox are definitely in control of their destiny.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-09-2006, 11:32 PM
Wonder what the Detroit's boards are like tonight, knowing they have Johan tomorrow too? :D: :D: :D:

Grzegorz
09-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Wonder what the Detroit's boards are like tonight, knowing they have Johan tomorrow? :D: :D: :D:

To hell with Johan; I hope the Tigers kick the snuff out of him...

FarWestChicago
09-09-2006, 11:39 PM
In the print edition of The Sporting News this week (Dodgers relief guy and Nick Punto on the cover...) Frank Thomas is quoted as saying this year's White Sox team isn't as good as last season's because the bullpen is worse.

Lip:darkclouds:

FarWestChicago
09-09-2006, 11:42 PM
Give me a frickin' break. :rolleyes: Three weeks ago, people were begging for McCarthy to take Jose's spot in the rotation. Now he's supposed to be benched?Only very silly people wanted to replace Jose with Fingernails. :rolleyes:

Vernam
09-09-2006, 11:43 PM
Duh...yeah.:rolleyes: He's not getting the job done. What does "people were begging for McCarthy to take Jose's spot in the rotation" have to do with it?It's called being a front-runner. And now you're saying you were serious in calling for McCarthy to be benched?! Gee, I thought it was silly enough as hyperbole and never dreamed you actually meant it. :?: In that case, I've got nothing further to add.

Vernam

kitekrazy
09-09-2006, 11:43 PM
Wonder what the Detroit's boards are like tonight, knowing they have Johan tomorrow too? :D: :D: :D:

Maybe they would say if the season ended today they would still be in the playoffs.

I really hope Santana has a bad outing. Anyone got a Santana voodoo doll?

PeteWard
09-09-2006, 11:45 PM
That's weird - My ESPN home page shows Johan.

Sorry I should have typed ESPNs baseball front page. That's where Jon is.

cheezheadsoxfan
09-09-2006, 11:54 PM
Scary but ends well. Three in a row tomorrow, boys.:bandance:

kitekrazy
09-10-2006, 12:01 AM
It's called being a front-runner. And now you're saying you were serious in calling for McCarthy to be benched?! Gee, I thought it was silly enough as hyperbole and never dreamed you actually meant it. :?: In that case, I've got nothing further to add.

Vernam

It's quite simple. He gives up runs when he's out there. Just like any player who is not performing you only use them in a situation where there are less conditions for failure. You hope they don't mess up.

We will not know how he will fare as a starter this season. At least as a starter he gets the chance to start every inning with nobody on base.

So it's Coop's responibility to find out what is wrong.

BadBobbyJenks
09-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Can we get a laugher, EVER???
Ill take it though.

great game by garland, looked like he had nasty movement all night.
great game by the offense and what a freaking play by Mr MVP

JB98
09-10-2006, 12:06 AM
Maybe they would say if the season ended today they would still be in the playoffs.

I really hope Santana has a bad outing. Anyone got a Santana voodoo doll?

Meh. If the Twinks win tomorrow, and we win tomorrow, that cuts our division deficit to 2.5 games. I'm not afraid of a tight three-team race down to the final week. A lot of people here want to pass the Twins RIGHT NOW, but to me, that isn't an urgent concern.

Wild card? HELL NO!

Still gunning for that number one spot. :cool:

gbergman
09-10-2006, 12:09 AM
Nice to get a win tonight. I would of gone on a tirade had we lost after a 10-1 lead. 3.5 back and closing :bandance:

Myrtle72
09-10-2006, 12:10 AM
Meh. If the Twinks win tomorrow, and we win tomorrow, that cuts our division deficit to 2.5 games. I'm not afraid of a tight three-team race down to the final week. A lot of people here want to pass the Twins RIGHT NOW, but to me, that isn't an urgent concern.

Wild card? HELL NO!

I really wish I could say the same, but personally, I've always been someone who plays it safe. I want to surpass the Twins and THEN work on the division. But, I do respect your opinion and to be honest, I'd probably enjoy a tight three way race (even though I don't say so now) as long as we win it in the end.

slavko
It's quite simple. He gives up runs when he's out there. Just like any player who is not performing you only use them in a situation where there are less conditions for failure. You hope they don't mess up.

We will not know how he will fare as a starter this season. At least as a starter he gets the chance to start every inning with nobody on base.

So it's Coop's responibility to find out what is wrong.

It's been a wasted year for McCarthy. Unless he has learned some things that I can't see. What I can see is a throwing motion that seems to put a lot of strain on the elbow and shoulder. It will be interesting to observe how that affects him later in his career.

Vernam
Only very silly people wanted to replace Jose with Fingernails. :rolleyes:I agree, obviously, and that was my original point. I wouldn't doubt they're the same silly people who'd now throw McCarthy under the bus -- they'd have done it to Jose, so why not him?

I guess the treatment of Jenks on Friday is what bothered me the most. The kid has done every single thing anyone could have expected of him, this year and last. Even if there weren't evidence he's injured, I'd be appalled at the booing. Given that evidence, the booing is completely disgusting. And I'm not going to be shy about saying so to people in our section the rest of this season, win or lose. If these guys end up also-rans, they'll still have nothing but respect from me for reasons so obvious I won't even state them here.

Vernam

StillMissOzzie
09-10-2006, 12:31 AM
It's never ****in' easy, is it?
Another craptacular outing for both Logan and McCarthy. I expected more from McCarthy, seeing as he only threw four pitches in his last craptacular outing in Boston. As much as that bothers me, at least I have the comfort of knowing that Logan and Hermanson won't be on the postseason roster anyhow, but it stinks that the Sox STILL ended up using McDougal and Thornton when those guys should have had a night off.

SMO
:gulp:

kitekrazy
09-10-2006, 12:33 AM
It's been a wasted year for McCarthy. Unless he has learned some things that I can't see. What I can see is a throwing motion that seems to put a lot of strain on the elbow and shoulder. It will be interesting to observe how that affects him later in his career.

Maybe the organization is seeing the same thing and that's why he is in the pen.
KW explained last week why they won't start him. They didn't want to expose his arm to 200 innings this year.

Realist
09-10-2006, 12:35 AM
I'm now fully convinced that this team wants me dead. :gulp:

kitekrazy
09-10-2006, 12:36 AM
As much as that bothers me, at least I have the comfort of knowing that Logan and Hermanson won't be on the postseason roster anyhow, but it stinks that the Sox STILL ended up using McDougal and Thornton when those guys should have had a night off.

SMO
:gulp:

What makes you so sure about Hermanson? The guy hasn't ptiched in a while so it make take him time to get back into it.

digdagdug23
09-10-2006, 12:49 AM
I'm now fully convinced that this team wants me dead. :gulp:

Or at the very least, recovering from a mild stroke.

When the score was 7-1, I went to the laundry room, doing actual work, came back to the kitchen to make treats with the kids, turned on the TV, up 10-5, and began wondering what the HELL had just happened. Mind you, this was just in time to see the 3 run shot given up by Hermie. I then went in to full stress mode, and had to watch the rest of the game, pitch-by-pitch, ready to cry or leap with joy, much the same as last night. Oy, my poor heart can't take much more, cap'n. :redneck

Brian26
09-10-2006, 12:50 AM
What makes you so sure about Hermanson? The guy hasn't ptiched in a while so it make take him time to get back into it.

Hermie actually looked decent except for that one pitch he got beat on. I was most diappointed in McCarthy's performance, as he seems to be letting a lot of inherited runners score.

thomas35forever
09-10-2006, 12:53 AM
Just got back from the game. Our middle relief pitching could hurt us in the near future, but a win's a win. I would've preferred a Minnesota lost tonight, but what can you do?

chisoxfanatic
09-10-2006, 12:53 AM
It's never ****in' easy, is it?

Never; but, the beauty of it all is that winning doesn't have to be pretty. Garland has proven to be our best pitcher all season long. He IS our ace and has taken command of every pitch. He has come a long way since Day 1 in his career! Watching him pitch now is quite a treat.

cburns
09-10-2006, 01:00 AM
Never; but, the beauty of it all is that winning doesn't have to be pretty. Garland has proven to be our best pitcher all season long. He IS our ace and has taken command of every pitch. He has come a long way since Day 1 in his career! Watching him pitch now is quite a treat.

Exactly, losing is always ugly. Is Jon maturing into the pitcher we hoped he be?

batmanZoSo
09-10-2006, 01:08 AM
Exactly, losing is always ugly. Is Jon maturing into the pitcher we hoped he be?

Well, he's 35-14 in the past two seasons. I supposed it depends on what you expected.

jabrch
09-10-2006, 01:11 AM
Well, he's 35-14 in the past two seasons. I supposed it depends on what you expected.

and with just a bit of luck, he ends up a 20 game winner...

batmanZoSo
09-10-2006, 01:19 AM
and with just a bit of luck, he ends up a 20 game winner...
That last start he got gypped out of a win might hurt, but I hope it doesn't. He still has a chance, but he can only go one more time without a dubya--he needs three wins in his remaining four starts.

This might be a rare year with zero twenty-game winners. I heard a stat on that, but don't recall the previous time it's happened. But it's pretty rare.

Suburbanbuddha
09-10-2006, 01:20 AM
Apologies up front about this post being a little scattered - couldn't get baby buddha to sleep 'til about 10 minutes ago.

About the booing - I don't know if it is directly aimed at Jenks (or whomever) or just people voicing their frustration with the way this team finds ways to mess things up. Last season it was a new hero every night, this year its a new goat. It seems like more of a "Here we go again" kinda thing. Lord knows I've screamed at my TV and radio more since July than all of last year.

That said - great win tonight, though the 7th had me bracing for the worst. I'd love to see Jon get 20 this year.
Count me in as one who would feel more comfortable with the half game that the twinkies have. The Tigers are very catchable however.

This team is killing me, but it sure beats being a Royals fan this time of year!
Sprint to the finish - knock out the tribe tomorrow (later today actually)

Gotta love a pennant race!

batmanZoSo
09-10-2006, 01:22 AM

Our last six in Anaheim have gone pretty well. Including the playoffs, it's 6-0 if I'm not mistaken. And we did sweep Oakland, albeit at home. However, that says something in itself because we pretty much sucked against Oakland in any park historically. Maybe that garbage is finally over.

batmanZoSo
09-10-2006, 01:26 AM
I really wish I could say the same, but personally, I've always been someone who plays it safe. I want to surpass the Twins and THEN work on the division. But, I do respect your opinion and to be honest, I'd probably enjoy a tight three way race (even though I don't say so now) as long as we win it in the end.

We definitely want to aim for Minnesota simply because we're a hell of a lot closer to them. One half game is nothing, but 3.5 is not very close with only 20 to go.

TheOldRoman
09-10-2006, 01:28 AM

Wild card? HELL NO!

Going into this series, I was hoping for us to win 4 and the Tigers to win 4. That would have left us 4.5 out, but the Twins would have been 8 out and 3.5 behind us for the Wild Card. I want to bury the Twins because a)we own Detriot but we can't beat the Twins lately, and b)the Twins are a much better team than the Tigers right now. I want to turn this into a two team race for two spots. I want the division, but I would be perfectly happy taking the Wild Card as long as the Twins don't get in. If the Twins swept and we swept, we would have been a half game back of both teams for the division/WC.

I would rather put distance between us and the Twins. I don't give a damn about the Tigers, the most important thing for us is to finish ahead of the Twins. Besides, I would rather the Tigers increase their lead on the Twins and we build a lead against them. Even if the three teams are within a game of eachother in the final week, it might end up with both us and the Twins in the playoffs. I would MUCH rather face Detriot in a possible ALCS. I would rather take the Wild Card with the Tigers winning the division than take the divsion with the Twins getting the Wild Card.

Patrick134
09-10-2006, 01:28 AM
We definitely want to aim for Minnesota simply because we're a hell of a lot closer to them. One half game is nothing, but 3.5 is not very close with only 20 to go.

At this point, it's not about aiming at anyone. The sox need to win every game they can. Where the twins and tigers are is up to who plays them that day.

JB98
09-10-2006, 01:29 AM

I think we just want to aim for winning tomorrow. If we do, it's a guaranteed game gained on somebody that we need to catch. Whether that's Detroit or Minnesota doesn't matter to me.

3.5 is VERY close. That's one good week. And if we have a good week when we happen to play Detroit, the Tiggers will be in our rearview mirror.

Brian26
09-10-2006, 01:31 AM
One half game is nothing, but 3.5 is not very close with only 20 to go.

3.5 is pretty close when you still have three games left with the team at home (where you've owned them all season), while said team is spiraling out of control like the Hindenburg.

Exhibit: Detroit Tigers 2006 Season....

http://www.nlhs.com/images/hindenburg/big_hindenburg_explodes_over_lakehurst.jpg

Kub_Killer_15
09-10-2006, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by JB98
I think we just want to aim for winning tomorrow. If we do, it's a guaranteed game gained on somebody that we need to catch. Whether that's Detroit (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/) or Minnesota doesn't matter to me.

3.5 is VERY close. That's one good week. And if we have a good week when we happen to play Detroit, the Tiggers will be in our rearview mirror.

Agreed if we do win tommrow we either will be a half game up of Minnesota or 2.5 behind Detriot. Just win! Detriot was due to slump and they are right now so we need to take advantage of it.

Patrick134
09-10-2006, 01:33 AM
3.5 is pretty close when you still have three games left with the team at home (where you've owned them all season), while said team is spiraling out of control like the Hindenburg.

That's a great point. But we are reaching the point where the sox can't afford to go back much more behind.

cburns
09-10-2006, 01:35 AM

I'd like to see how that compares to the rest of MLB. Not that it isn't impressive, because it is. I just hope it is able to propel the team into the playoffs. Buerhle and Contreras need to remove head from ass.

Patrick134
09-10-2006, 01:41 AM
Everyone was worried about the twinkies and tiggers playing KC so much this month. Now that doesn't look so bad. Bell has his guys scrapping well, just ask the carmines.

batmanZoSo
09-10-2006, 01:43 AM
I'd like to see how that compares to the rest of MLB. Not that it isn't impressive, because it is. I just hope it is able to propel the team into the playoffs. Buerhle and Contreras need to remove head from ass.

That 35-14 clip is one of the best--and I want to say the best--in all of MLB in that time span.

batmanZoSo
09-10-2006, 01:47 AM

Exhibit: Detroit Tigers 2006 Season....

http://www.nlhs.com/images/hindenburg/big_hindenburg_explodes_over_lakehurst.jpg

Yes, but we don't play them tomorrow. What if they get back on track and are 5.5 up when they come to town? That's all I'm saying. Obviously right now, our primary concern is just to win tomorrow and then win again because every win is precious now. But when you're in third place, you gotta pass number 2 before you get to 1.

Brian26
09-10-2006, 01:48 AM
Everyone was worried about the twinkies and tiggers playing KC so much this month. Now that doesn't look so bad. Bell has his guys scrapping well, just ask the carmines.

:hawk
"Buddy Bell is a good manager. When he was with Detroit, they sucked. When he was with Colorado, they sucked. Buddy is a good manager though."

Chi Dye
09-10-2006, 01:49 AM
There's that part of me that wants to see the Twins win and make us only 2.5 out of the Division lead to set up for our later Detroit series at home. But there's also that little part of me that wants the Tigers to win just so Santana may finally lose at home! :rolleyes:

:tongue: Yes, I know, I'm pathetic.

batmanZoSo
09-10-2006, 01:50 AM
:hawk
"Buddy Bell is a good manager. When he was with Detroit, they sucked. When he was with Colorado, they sucked. Buddy is a good manager though."

LOL. I bet if you look up "good ol' boy" in the dictionary, you'll find his picture.

chisoxfanatic
09-10-2006, 02:09 AM

Didn't we gain something like 4.5 or 5 games within a WEEK on them just last month (during that 5-game winning streak)? I think we can get this done!

BeviBall!
09-10-2006, 02:25 AM
A September win is always huge... who cares how we got it.

Lip Man 1
09-10-2006, 03:09 AM
I don't know if anyone knows this. I just read the story. Apparently Mark Teahen is on his way for shoulder surgery and is done for the year.

He's been playing with it for most of the season. He also killed the Sox....nice to see he's decided 'it's time' to have the work done BEFORE the Royals play Detroit and Minnesota.

And what conclusions (if any) can be drawn from the fact that with a 10-1 lead Ozzie passed over Cotts. (And no I'm NOT complaining...)

Lip

SoxFanPrope
09-10-2006, 03:20 AM
Please keep this offense up tommorow. Please??

Lip Man 1
09-10-2006, 03:27 AM
Against 'Sox Killer' Sabathia it would be very nice if they could...since Santana's going in the Dome and that's the closest thing there is in baseball to a guaranteed W.

Lip

Grzegorz
09-10-2006, 05:57 AM
And what conclusions (if any) can be drawn from the fact that with a 10-1 lead Ozzie passed over Cotts. (And no I'm NOT complaining...)

Lip

The White Sox also passed over Riske in this game.

Here's an interesting stat:

The ERA for reliever Brandon McCarthy at home games is 2.93 his record is 3-3 in 24 games with 43 innings pitched and he has limiting the opposition to a .197 average. His road record consists of 23 appearances and 29 1/3 innings away from home. Brandon McCarthy holds a 0-3 record with a 6.14 ERA with opponents hitting .284 against him.

Guess his home stats will take a hit after last night (09/09/06).

HerzogVon
09-10-2006, 07:37 AM
For those who think ESPN is the only biased piece of media crap out there, here's the headline from tonight's AOL game recap:

>>Recap: Indians 8, White Sox 10 (9 Innings)<< ~ Why yes little Tommy, it WAS 9 innings. How astute of you!

So, now the losing team gets top billing?!

Are there any others out there who have noticed that AOL is every bit as bad as ESPN, or have you all found better providers?

WSox597
09-10-2006, 08:10 AM
now the losing team gets top billing?!

The home team is usually shown last. Channel 5 in Chicago does this all the tiem with their scroll at the bottom of the screen. The first time I saw this it spooked me too.

Chips
09-10-2006, 08:14 AM

Let's do it again today.

Dan H
09-10-2006, 08:55 AM
The Indian outfielders had craned their necks so much watcing Konerko's first homer that I thought they saw flying saucers up there. No guys, it was just a baseball landing in the 50th row of the bleachers. Offense looked devastating. I went to a movie so I was glad I missed the seventh inning meltdown. Need to win game four but it will be a big challenge.

TornLabrum
09-10-2006, 09:18 AM
For those who think ESPN is the only biased piece of media crap out there, here's the headline from tonight's AOL game recap:

>>Recap: Indians 8, White Sox 10 (9 Innings)<< ~ Why yes little Tommy, it WAS 9 innings. How astute of you!

So, now the losing team gets top billing?!

Are there any others out there who have noticed that AOL is every bit as bad as ESPN, or have you all found better providers?

Perhaps they got "top billing" because the Sox were the home team. Check out the other scores. Is the winning team always first, or is the visiting team always first?

samram
09-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Yes, but we don't play them tomorrow. What if they get back on track and are 5.5 up when they come to town? That's all I'm saying. Obviously right now, our primary concern is just to win tomorrow and then win again because every win is precious now. But when you're in third place, you gotta pass number 2 before you get to 1.

Exactly. The good news is that passing number 2 gets them in the playoffs.

downstairs
09-10-2006, 09:51 AM
How come I keep seeing MacDougal and Thornton putting up zeros, yet Ozzie keeps bringing in other pitchers.

I think its time to start letting the starters go 7, and finishing up with MacDougal, Thornton, Jenks...

samram
09-10-2006, 09:57 AM
How come I keep seeing MacDougal and Thornton putting up zeros, yet Ozzie keeps bringing in other pitchers.

I think its time to start letting the starters go 7, and finishing up with MacDougal, Thornton, Jenks...

First, the starters haven't gone 7 very often. Second, you can't use the same guys everyday. When the starters have gone 7 and those guys are available, Ozzie's done exactly what you said he should do.

harwar
09-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Our last six in Anaheim have gone pretty well. Including the playoffs, it's 6-0 if I'm not mistaken. And we did sweep Oakland, albeit at home. However, that says something in itself because we pretty much sucked against Oakland in any park historically. Maybe that garbage is finally over.
Unfortunately,the angels have been hot as a pistol lately and were on a six game winning streak before losing 2-1 to the jays yesterday.
Lackey and Contreras go against each other monday night and with both,you just never know what your going to get until the game is underway.
I just hope that they stay out of the bars wednesday night & thursday because i've seen some west coast games where a lot of the guys had Heineken flu pretty bad.

TornLabrum
09-10-2006, 10:35 AM
First, the starters haven't gone 7 very often. Second, you can't use the same guys everyday. When the starters have gone 7 and those guys are available, Ozzie's done exactly what you said he should do.

I'd add by way of explanation and clarification, that most relief pitchers can go back-to-back games most of the time. Going three consecutive games is pushing it.

samram
09-10-2006, 10:49 AM
I'd add by way of explanation and clarification, that most relief pitchers can go back-to-back games most of the time. Going three consecutive games is pushing it.

That's why is used the more ambiguous "available." :smile:

voodoochile
09-10-2006, 11:00 AM
Now we got us a game...

3 weeks to go, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it...

:supernana::)

Let the sun shine
Let the sun shine
Let the sun shine
The sun shine in...

:)

soxfanreggie
09-10-2006, 12:10 PM
I guess I'd rather have a bullpen meltdown when we're up 10-1, as long as we win the game.

Hopefully Vaz has his stuff today that he had last start vs Boston. He has all-star material when he is on (like we've seen 2-3 times this season). If we do retain him, I think Coop can work hard with him in the offseason. Let's hope he can go at least 6.

Lip Man 1
09-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Ozzie has a blunt assesment of last night's game. (Good for him!)

''A real disappointing win. A big one. You get a game like that and get to the point where it was, it's embarrassing. I'm embarrassed because I was the one who brought those guys in."

He's right about one thing...he put those guys in.

Lip