PDA

View Full Version : Blackjack instead of Hawk

OzzieBall2004
09-09-2006, 07:05 PM
This game is already starting out nice and they haven't thrown a pitch yet!

Seriously though, I like the way Jack does the game, and this will be nice to hear. Hopefully he can call a winner, and hopefully they keep him on the speed dial.

Frontman
09-09-2006, 07:16 PM
This is really brutal though. DJ has always had a quiet approach, so does BlackJack. Anyone have a phone number for one of the producers to suggest turning down the stadium mike and turning up DJ and Jack?

Hawk might be annoying, but its just as annoying hearing someone talk yet not be able to make out the words.

Front

Vance Law's Dog
09-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Judging by that first half-inning -- and everything DJ says they are going to talk about tonight, he is going to exceed his word count, and they'll have to take him out of the booth by the fifth inning.

boiler up
09-09-2006, 07:27 PM
they sound fine to me

you guys complain way too much

DoItForDanPasqua
09-09-2006, 07:28 PM
I like Jack much better than Hawk. McDowell can actually provide some intellect as opposed to Hawk's hoaky, "plain speak," which is an embarrassment.

chisoxfanatic
09-09-2006, 07:36 PM
I have to say that my favorite substitute for Hawk has been Robin Ventura. He did an outstanding job last year in Tampa, IMHO.

SpartanSoxFan
09-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Is Hawk sick or something?

jabrch
09-09-2006, 07:47 PM
Is Hawk sick or something?

No - this was a scheduled day off. I believe he had a family event.

OzzieBall2004
09-09-2006, 08:25 PM
No - this was a scheduled day off. I believe he had a family event.

He's actually in Cooperstown for some book interview.

Thats the closest he'll get to the hall of fame.

Blackjack is quiet, but he's already had some good insights and he was great on that first inning strikeout of Garko during a tough AB.

southwstchi4life
09-09-2006, 08:36 PM
He's alot better than Ventura in the booth

Medford Bobby
09-09-2006, 08:53 PM
:o: Man I'm glad it's not my stereo reciever...they really do talk.....low!:(:

flo-B-flo
09-09-2006, 09:18 PM
I like their flow and teamwork. DJ - as mentioned before - is better without Hawk. Meanwhile...........Jermaine Dye-no-mite is a single away from the cycle tonight.

The Racehorse
09-09-2006, 09:30 PM
they sound fine to me

you guys complain way too much

Ditto! :cool:

chisox06
09-09-2006, 10:28 PM
Thought Black Jack did a great job tonight. He tells it like it is, and he gave a real nice perspective on the mental side of a pitcher throughout the game. And he thought Wendelstadt was a moron (not in those words but you get the idea). Personally, I thought DJ and Jack worked pretty well together.

cburns
09-09-2006, 10:32 PM
I enjoy Hawk, but it was nice to see Black Jack not sugarcoat things as much as Hawk.

Malgar 12
09-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Thought Black Jack did a great job tonight. He tells it like it is, and he gave a real nice perspective on the mental side of a pitcher throughout the game. And he thought Wendelstadt was a moron (not in those words but you get the idea). Personally, I thought DJ and Jack worked pretty well together.

Yup. A nice insightful, cheerleading free, while still partisan approach. More Mr. McDowell please.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-09-2006, 10:50 PM
I got so frustrated I started messing with my TV's audio setting. In "Mono" they sounded acceptable, I could hear them at least.

It was great having an announcer with balls to question the manager. He didn't like pulling Garland after only 6 innings. Right or wrong, at least he doesn't tremble in fear at the thought of questioning Ozzie.

Put that on the board.

Grzegorz
09-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Put that on the board.

Yessss!!!

McDowell was a breath of fresh air. More McDowell please...

BadBobbyJenks
09-10-2006, 12:06 AM
I have to say that my favorite substitute for Hawk has been Robin Ventura. He did an outstanding job last year in Tampa, IMHO.

I loved Ventura as well, I would not mind one bit for him to replace DJ

LuvSox
09-10-2006, 12:17 AM
I heard them just fine.

Black Jack is always a welcome change.

digdagdug23
09-10-2006, 12:18 AM

I would trade him for Hawk before I would DJ. Which is scary to say out loud, but I was impressed with the way DJ kept the banter going, asking him questions, for his insight in to a pitcher, what things should look like, etc., I thought they were agood tandem.

Tragg
09-10-2006, 01:03 AM
I thought Black Jack and DJ were excellent.

The thing about Hawk though...it's corny, cheesy, homeresque etc....but I do love "That ball hit deep..." and I like it better when he yells "stretch stretch". I'd miss that.

Sox-o-matic
09-10-2006, 01:06 AM
I liked the way Blackjack gave his own point of view clearly and didn't back down like Hawk does. It seems that about every other time something goes wrong, Hawk always blames it on a 'missed opportunity' that wasn't much of a missed opportunity (not scoring with runners on 2nd and 3rd and 2 outs for example) or the umpiring (i.e. Garcia doesn't get a called third strike and then gets lit up on a meatball the next pitch). In Hawk's mind, Ozzie can do no wrong.

Blackjack OTOH questioned Ozzie's thought process on removing Garland even before the blow up, and remained firm still after it happened. I think he's right, too. When he said 'this isn't time to get work in' and said that it is time to win the game, he was dead on. Maybe if we're down by 9 late in the game you bring in the back of the bullpen, but at this stage this team can not afford to take anything for granted. I hope Ozzie learned an important pennant race lesson tonight in that if he screws around again he might just throw away a game in a playoff race that could be decided by just one game.

chaerulez
09-10-2006, 01:07 AM
Didn't catch the game due to work, did DJ move to PBP and Blackjack was the color man?

Brian26
09-10-2006, 01:20 AM

Ventura's one of my all-time favorite players. However, to state, based on two or three performances behind the microphone last May, that he is better than DJ (or could be better) is a stretch at best. DJ's now in his seventh year, and he's matured into a pretty good broadcaster.

It's interesting to hear a new guy in the booth for a game or two. It breaks up the monotony of a 162-game marathon season. But, to all of a sudden state that these guys should replace the current broadcasters is insane.

McDowell seems to have some natural talent. I liked his work during the playoffs last year.

Patrick134
09-10-2006, 01:23 AM
Ventura's one of my all-time favorite players. However, to state, based on two or three performances behind the microphone last May, that he is better than DJ (or could be better) is a stretch at best. DJ's now in his seventh year, and he's matured into a pretty good broadcaster.

It's interesting to hear a new guy in the booth for a game or two. It breaks up the monotony of a 162-game marathon season. But, to all of a sudden state that these guys should replace the current broadcasters is insane.

McDowell seems to have some natural talent. I liked his work during the playoffs last year.

The Blue Jays loved his work in the 93 playoffs as well.

Nellie_Fox
09-10-2006, 02:28 AM
Black Jack was way too monotone and low-key, plus I don't want to hear about "soapymouth.com" again. Way to plug your wife's baby clothes business, Jack.

Lip Man 1
09-10-2006, 03:06 AM
I enjoyed McDowell's insight tonight... perhaps in a few years when his kids have grown he might consider making this a full-time gig.

Lip

soxinthecity
09-10-2006, 10:59 AM
I happen to catch Mcdowell during one of last years telecasts and i was quite impressed.

And tonight was just as good, I too like his insight on pitchers from his perspective.

cheezheadsoxfan
09-10-2006, 11:19 AM
I thought Black Jack and DJ were excellent.

The thing about Hawk though...it's corny, cheesy, homeresque etc....but I do love "That ball hit deep..." and I like it better when he yells "stretch stretch". I'd miss that.

I like BlackJack a lot but I would kinda miss Hawk too. He's like the goofy uncle who gets on your nerves but you still like to have him around because he's family.

southside rocks
09-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Black Jack was way too monotone and low-key, plus I don't want to hear about "soapymouth.com" again. Way to plug your wife's baby clothes business, Jack.

Actually, I would rather hear about that than about the golf games of the announcers, and I was amused at the mental picture of Jack knitting baby hats (which BTW are pretty cute).

It made a nice change to have McDowell in there. I hope that he'll be back for the Sox post-season television broadcasts!

Save McCuddy's
09-10-2006, 12:06 PM
I'd like to have anyone who can explain to DJ that the Seibu Lions have no relevance in the real world.

vegyrex
09-10-2006, 12:15 PM
I love Jack a lot but I still want Hawk on TV.

ws05champs
09-10-2006, 01:18 PM
I learn more about baseball in one game with Blackjack in the booth than in a whole season with Hawk in the booth. He really works well with DJ. The only thing I miss is that the game seems less exciting without Hawk. How about we have all three in the booth and only let Hawk speak when the Sox hit a home run?

Britt Burns
09-10-2006, 02:53 PM
Jack did a good job. He would make an excellent broadcaster with just a little experience.