PDA

View Full Version : If you care about organ music

paciorek1983
09-09-2006, 11:21 AM
bboyer@chisox.com

Do it today

This is my letter:

Hello again Mr. Boyer,

I was at the friday game against Cleveland and it was fun.

But:

I still want to reiterate how upset I am about the whole organ music thing. It is obvious that you and your "entertainment people" have no interest in having organ music at the ballpark.

If you did, you would be playing the recordings of Nancy playing "Na Na Hey Hey" after the opposing teams pitcher is being removed and after a White Sox Winner.

I don't understand how you can just throw away 30+ years of tradition. The White Sox Baseball Game Experience has lost it identity becuase of that and it makes me sick.

I don't want to hear any crap excuses about how you can't find more than one person who would want to be paid to watch a ballgame, interact with Sox fans and have the opportunity to play a few ditties during the game to add a sincere atmoshpere to the ballpark.

If you're having that hard of a time finding someone, then make a contest out of it. You're in marketing, do something! Ah, but then again you'd have to be interested in having an organ player, which you're not.

If you're the one calling the shots on this subject, then I am somewhat sorry you're in charge. You've made alot of progress in regards to marketing the Sox, but if you don't find a solution to this then I cannot forgive you.

It's a shame that now that there are 35,000 fans per game, that they are being cheated of a truly unique White Sox Game Expereince. Pathetic.

Go Sox!

:angry:

If you don't care, then don't. I don't know why I feel this strongly about this subject, but I do.

Beer Can Chicken
09-09-2006, 11:25 AM
We definitely need more organ music.

I was at the game on Thursday and they kept playing Konerko's music (Metallica) between the pitches he kept fouling off. It was so damn annoying. IMO, it was bush league.

paciorek1983
09-09-2006, 11:39 AM
We definitely need more organ music.

I was at the game on Thursday and they kept playing Konerko's music (Metallica) between the pitches he kept fouling off. It was so damn annoying. IMO, it was bush league.

Yeah, it's awful. I wonder if the dj is blackmailing the Sox or something? Kinda weird how they just threw away 30 plus years of tradition.

Myrtle72
09-09-2006, 11:39 AM
I haven't been to the Cell in a long time as I am away at college in Virginia and don't get back to Chicago very often... (I'll be there Sept 22 though!) but I am very dissapointed to hear this and I fully support you. Nancy and her organ music are part of what makes the Cell great.

dickallen15
09-09-2006, 11:42 AM
There is definitely a difference when Nancy isn't there. I'm one of those guys that really doesn't care about much of the sideshow, just the game, but I must say, I wish she played at every game. I often anticipate what she would play after certain events, and then remember she isn't there. I think, at least to the veteran fans, she is a much bigger part of the show than the White Sox, Nancy, and her fans ever realized. I understand her part-time status was her idea, but I think the White Sox easily could make her feel like playing full-time. Hopefully they will. When she finally leaves the building, there won't be another one like her.

paciorek1983
09-09-2006, 11:43 AM
I haven't been to the Cell in a long time as I am away at college in Virginia and don't get back to Chicago very often... (I'll be there Sept 22 though!) but I am very dissapointed to hear this and I fully support you. Nancy and her organ music are part of what makes the Cell great.

Can you please EMAIL BROOKS and let him know how you feel?

We can't do much about Nancy not being there. She has semi-retired. But, if they only could somehow record a few tunes....hmmmmm. If only someone could come up with a device that could do that. Hopefully, someone will...someday.:redneck :whiner:

Myrtle72
09-09-2006, 11:44 AM
Can you please EMAIL BROOKS and let him know how you feel?

Sure thing :smile:

paciorek1983
09-09-2006, 11:45 AM
There is definitely a difference when Nancy isn't there. I'm one of those guys that really doesn't care about much of the sideshow, just the game, but I must say, I wish she played at every game. I often anticipate what she would play after certain events, and then remember she isn't there. I think, at least to the veteran fans, she is a much bigger part of the show than the White Sox, Nancy, and her fans ever realized. I understand her part-time status was her idea, but I think the White Sox easily could make her feel like playing full-time. Hopefully they will. When she finally leaves the building, there won't be another one like her.

I miss Nancy, but I'll take a replacement.

paciorek1983
09-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Sure thing :smile:

Thanks. If you know of anyone else who might be concerned, have them email as well.

TheDarkGundam
09-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Brooks knows we like the Organ music. The only Nancy doesn't play night games anymore is because she chose not to.
IMO, it's not right having recordings. Once the Sox record a bunch of Nancy's songs, they'll realize they don't need her anymore at all. Plus, do you think some random DJ guy would have the same wit as Nancy to play just the right song for each guy?
I love Nancy as much as the next guy, but I think I would rather have canned crap than a recording of Nancy. It's just not right, IMO.
Plus, you seem to think Brooks has some kind of personal vendetta against organ music. I really doubt that he does, since he did come up with the "Nothin but Nancy" day last year (Which they should really do every year).

MeteorsSox4367
09-09-2006, 12:51 PM
There has to be some sort of compromise - whether it's live or recorded Nancy. In last year's playoffs against Boston, when Clement was yanked and Nancy cranked up the "Na, Na, Na...", I had goosebumps because the Cell was so damn loud. It was awesome to be a part of that.

paciorek1983
09-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Brooks knows we like the Organ music. The only Nancy doesn't play night games anymore is because she chose not to.
IMO, it's not right having recordings. Once the Sox record a bunch of Nancy's songs, they'll realize they don't need her anymore at all. Plus, do you think some random DJ guy would have the same wit as Nancy to play just the right song for each guy?
I love Nancy as much as the next guy, but I think I would rather have canned crap than a recording of Nancy. It's just not right, IMO.
Plus, you seem to think Brooks has some kind of personal vendetta against organ music. I really doubt that he does, since he did come up with the "Nothin but Nancy" day last year (Which they should really do every year).

I'm not looking for them to use recordings of Nancy as if she was there. I wouldn't like that either, no "dj" could do that.

I just think that having a recording of Na-Na-Hey-Heyafter taking a pitcher out of the game and having it after a victory is the way to go if there is no more Nancy or organ music.

They did use a recording of her for those purposes for about two games and then it stopped. What was wrong about that?

But the way you're talking, maybe we should have live bands for all music that goes on then instead of recordings if you feel that way.

As for Brooks having a vendetta against the organ, I don't know. But, is it that difficult to have the "dj" push a button to play Na-Na after a pitcher leaves? I mean, other music comes out of that button. Why not keep things consistent for certain moments? Do you understand the tradition of the ambience?

paciorek1983
09-09-2006, 01:27 PM
It was awesome to be a part of that.

I bet it was. And what a shame it has been that for 99% of the season, any new sox fans that have come to the ballpark, have missed out on that oh-so-simple, yet wonderful tradition!

DoItForDanPasqua
09-09-2006, 01:37 PM
I added in my email that people who come to the game do not need to be constantly stimulated: quite a few people come to games because it is relaxing (last night was not relaxing) Doing things like blasting loud music through the speakers between every pitch is just obnoxious.

TheDarkGundam
09-09-2006, 01:40 PM
I just think that having a recording of Na-Na-Hey-Heyafter taking a pitcher out of the game and having it after a victory is the way to go if there is no more Nancy or organ music.

They did use a recording of her for those purposes for about two games and then it stopped. What was wrong about that?
IMO, when they did that, it didn't seem right. It didn't have any flair of Nancy actually playing it in the moment.
Seeing a photo of the Mona Lisa isn't the same as seeing the real thing, just like hearing a recording of Nancy isn't the same as the real thing.

But the way you're talking, maybe we should have live bands for all music that goes on then instead of recordings if you feel that way.
I'm just talking about Nancy. I doubt the Sox can bring in AC/DC to play before every game.
Do you understand the tradition of the ambience?
Yes, I just think that the tradition of having NANCY play it is more important than the song itself.

But once Nancy completely leaves, they should get a celebrity to come in every game and play it!:tongue:

SouthSide_HitMen
09-09-2006, 02:00 PM
bboyer@chisox.com

Do it today

This is my letter:

If you don't care, then don't. I don't know why I feel this strongly about this subject, but I do.

Send it to Jerry Reinsdorf - I'm sending my first letter ever to the team regarding this situation in hopes it will be rectified next season.

I think she'll play more games if they allow her and they should bring in a replacement for games she isn't working.

Steelrod
09-09-2006, 02:29 PM
bboyer@chisox.com

Do it today

This is my letter:

If you e-mailed me telling me "you don't want to hear any crap"....
I would be done reading at that point. If you send a respectful letter, you will get more attention and perhaps the response you desire. If you attack, you put people on the defensive. I suggest you rewrite your e-mail.

miker
09-09-2006, 02:34 PM
For ethical reasons, I'm not a big fan of human cloning...but I'd be willing to change my mind if we could make another Nancy!

Fake Chet Lemon
09-09-2006, 02:38 PM
.....need more cowbell too.

MrRoboto83
09-09-2006, 03:26 PM

I know there is another side to this story, and I mean the story that Nancy is telling the media compared to the real truth that isn't being told. I just know it isn't totally Nancy's decision she is only playing day games.

whitesoxwilkes
09-09-2006, 04:00 PM
I would be done reading at that point. If you send a respectful letter, you will get more attention and perhaps the response you desire. If you attack, you put people on the defensive. I suggest you rewrite your e-mail.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

paciorek1983
09-09-2006, 04:43 PM
But once Nancy completely leaves, they should get a celebrity to come in every game and play it!:tongue:

lol:smile:

paciorek1983
09-09-2006, 04:47 PM

Well, it's not like it's the first time we've ever communicated on this or other subjects. So, I think he understands my passion at this pont, but you're probably right. I just get very animanted when it comes to this subject.

paciorek1983
09-09-2006, 04:55 PM

I didn't rewrite, but I sent another:

Hey Mr. Boyer,

Regarding my last email about organ music. I'm just so dang passionate about the whole thing. I just want a taste of it--at least. So, if I sounded a little mad well, I'm sorry. I think it's just that you've done such a great job with everything else that I expected more than what we're getting when it comes to music, ambiance and tradition at White Sox games

Frontman
09-09-2006, 06:14 PM
I know there is another side to this story, and I mean the story that Nancy is telling the media compared to the real truth that isn't being told. I just know it isn't totally Nancy's decision she is only playing day games.

Ummm.....ok. Cue the "X-files conspiracy" music now.

I'll bite. What do you know, and where do you know it from?

Front

TornLabrum
09-09-2006, 06:18 PM

Oh, so the story she told me last December before it was even announced, that she had suggested it to the Sox, is false. Okay.

Frontman
09-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Oh, so the story she told me last December before it was even announced, that she had suggested it to the Sox, is false. Okay.

That's all I needed to hear. Torn's straight up with information.

Front

South Side Irish
09-09-2006, 10:08 PM

Good call, fellas.

I agree that organ music is almost essential at any ballpark, especially Sox Park, where it's just recently begun to disappear. I don't like the excessive rock music, either, but an emotional, unorganized letter won't do anything.

First, Brooks comes here often. He's posted before, and certainly (assuming, of course) lurks and reads. Along with Green Seats, a Home Run Porch, and Brandon McCarthy in the rotation, Organ music is one of the things that makes some Sox fans act criminally insane. Trust me: Brooks knows we want organ music. It's pretty hard not to get the point when the horse has long been beaten dead.

Could it be the Sox and Brooks are being respectful to Nancy and not hiring somebody else while she enjoys the sunset of what was a special career? I'm guessing so. Brooks has made very few PR mistakes, and I'm sure he know what we want.

Now when are those damn green seats getting put in? :tongue:

MrRoboto83
09-10-2006, 12:23 AM

False is correct.

MrRoboto83
09-10-2006, 12:31 AM
Ummm.....ok. Cue the "X-files conspiracy" music now.

I'll bite. What do you know, and where do you know it from?

Front

I promised not to state the source. All I can say is there is a conspiracy with organs and Nancy.:rolleyes: I'm sure you will all believe me now.

ajismyhero
09-10-2006, 01:50 AM
I was at Fenway for the series earlier this week, and one of the really nice things about that ballpark is that they don't have blaring music between pitches and they DO have a lot of organ music. Baseball in it's purest form..... If we convince Brooks to bring back more organ music, i think the next thing we work on is getting rid of the dance-off on the dugouts and the chevy truck cheerleader types. Really, is that necessary?

TornLabrum
09-10-2006, 08:22 AM
False is correct.
So what you're saying is that Nancy lied to my face when I saw her at the WCSF holiday party last December and I asked her how the contract negotiations were going, and she said, "I've asked the Sox to only play day games, and the post-season," and then went on to tell me that it was her idea.

So Nancy's a liar?

SouthSide_HitMen
09-10-2006, 09:06 AM
I was at Fenway for the series earlier this week, and one of the really nice things about that ballpark is that they don't have blaring music between pitches and they DO have a lot of organ music. Baseball in it's purest form..... If we convince Brooks to bring back more organ music, i think the next thing we work on is getting rid of the dance-off on the dugouts and the chevy truck cheerleader types. Really, is that necessary?

Couldn't have said it better. Fenway Park still offers an enjoyable baseball experience, unlike the NBA / WWF / Club Roxbury garbage which has taken place this season at The Cell.

As far as what was / is said publically by the White Sox organization and their employees (or in Nancy's case part time employee after 35 years of full time service) about what transpired this offseason regarding the White Sox decision to eliminate the organ for 2/3 of the contests, people need to realize there are differences between what is said publically and what is said behind closed doors.

The bottom line is Boyer decided to eliminate the organ for a vast majority of games by not replacing her regardless of what reasons were behind her losing full time status. Tens of thousands of White Sox fans are pissed off about it and any letter should be sent to the only person who can do anything about it and that is Jerry Reinsdorf. Anything sent to Boyer will be filed in the circular (or cyberspace) trash can as he is in the Rob Gallas / eliminate the organ camp.

TornLabrum
09-10-2006, 09:38 AM
Couldn't have said it better. Fenway Park still offers an enjoyable baseball experience, unlike the NBA / WWF / Club Roxbury garbage which has taken place this season at The Cell.

As far as what was / is said publically by the White Sox organization and their employees (or in Nancy's case part time employee after 35 years of full time service) about what transpired this offseason regarding the White Sox decision to eliminate the organ for 2/3 of the contests, people need to realize there are differences between what is said publically and what is said behind closed doors.

The bottom line is Boyer decided to eliminate the organ for a vast majority of games by not replacing her regardless of what reasons were behind her losing full time status. Tens of thousands of White Sox fans are pissed off about it and any letter should be sent to the only person who can do anything about it and that is Jerry Reinsdorf. Anything sent to Boyer will be filed in the circular (or cyberspace) trash can as he is in the Rob Gallas / eliminate the organ camp.

BUT does that fact that another part-time organist wasn't hired indicate a conspiracy against organ music? I think that's pushing it. And BTW, the conversation with Nancy was a private one. I didn't reveal its contents until after the Sox let it be known that she was cutting back.

Frontman
09-10-2006, 09:41 AM
So what you're saying is that Nancy lied to my face when I saw her at the WCSF holiday party last December and I asked her how the contract negotiations were going, and she said, "I've asked the Sox to only play day games, and the post-season," and then went on to tell me that it was her idea.

So Nancy's a liar?

She'd have to be Torn. Otherwise, MrRoboto's source would be lying or misinformed. ;)

Front

SouthSide_HitMen
09-10-2006, 10:01 AM
BUT does that fact that another part-time organist wasn't hired indicate a conspiracy against organ music? I think that's pushing it. And BTW, the conversation with Nancy was a private one. I didn't reveal its contents until after the Sox let it be known that she was cutting back.

I don't think it is a conspiracy as you term it but rather a preference by the marketing staff. Other MLB teams have eliminated the organ over the past few years but I would like to think the White Sox have higher standards. :cool:

Gallas publically stated he wanted the organ booth gone. Boyer has been diplomatic about the changes. We do know the booth is closed for night games (well at least until the playoffs - no pink). I hope I am wrong about Boyer wanting the organ gone but I am not optimistic.

Fans will need to wait until 2007 to find out what the future holds for Nancy and the organ at White Sox games. I have never written a letter to the White Sox (or any corporation outside of letters written for work - I do not care about most products I purchase) but I do plan on writting Jerry Reinsdorf this week and I do hope we hear the organ at all White Sox games next season. The team will have a few months to make this decision and I hope they keep the organ alive with Nancy playing the games she wants and a replacement / apprentice filling in for the remaining games.

I have jinxed Nancy this year :(:. The only two day games I have attended she did not make it to Take Me Out To The Ballgame. A few keys were broke on her organ for Opening Night and she left early (for reasons unknown) vs. Kansas City during a Thursday day game in August. I still get a smile on my face when I hear her in the background listening on the radio and I hope to hear her six times in October and for many years to come.

MrRoboto83
09-10-2006, 10:26 AM

So Nancy's a liar?

What I am saying is Nancy can not tell you the entire truth knowing that it would be posted on this board. She is not a liar, she is just holding back the information.

paciorek1983
09-10-2006, 10:27 AM
I don't think it is a conspiracy as you term it but rather a preference by the marketing staff. Other MLB teams have eliminated the organ over the past few years but I would like to think the White Sox have higher standards. :cool:

Gallas publically stated he wanted the organ booth gone. Boyer has been diplomatic about the changes. We do know the booth is closed for night games (well at least until the playoffs - no pink). I hope I am wrong about Boyer wanting the organ gone but I am not optimistic.

Fans will need to wait until 2007 to find out what the future holds for Nancy and the organ at White Sox games. I have never written a letter to the White Sox (or any corporation outside of letters written for work - I do not care about most products I purchase) but I do plan on writting Jerry Reinsdorf this week and I do hope we hear the organ at all White Sox games next season. The team will have a few months to make this decision and I hope they keep the organ alive with Nancy playing the games she wants and a replacement / apprentice filling in for the remaining games.

I have jinxed Nancy this year :(:. The only two day games I have attended she did not make it to Take Me Out To The Ballgame. A few keys were broke on her organ for Opening Night and she left early (for reasons unknown) vs. Kansas City during a Thursday day game in August. I still get a smile on my face when I hear her in the background listening on the radio and I hope to hear her six times in October and for many years to come.

I'll be writing a letter to JR as well.

TornLabrum
09-10-2006, 10:34 AM
What I am saying is Nancy can not tell you the entire truth knowing that it would be posted on this board. She is not a liar, she is just holding back the information.

Uh-huh. Nancy knows I write nothing about her without her permission.

MrRoboto83
09-10-2006, 10:39 AM
Uh-huh. Nancy knows I write nothing about her without her permission.

Believe what you want Hal, I am concerned there will be no organ music being played on the South Side in a few years. It is a true fact that Nancy reccomended playing only day games, but this was after the fact Boyer cut her hours to begin with.

ewokpelts
09-10-2006, 12:30 PM
Believe what you want Hal, I am concerned there will be no organ music being played on the South Side in a few years. It is a true fact that Nancy reccomended playing only day games, but this was after the fact Boyer cut her hours to begin with.how did brooks cut her hours? she was a)under contract and b) working the WHOLE GAME in 2004-2005, the length of her last contract.

TornLabrum
09-10-2006, 12:44 PM
how did brooks cut her hours? she was a)under contract and b) working the WHOLE GAME in 2004-2005, the length of her last contract.

Maybe he meant the amount of time she played, but that was a process started under the unlamented Rob Gallas.

soxfaninnewyork
09-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Has anyone spoken to Mr. Boyer about doing "Nothing But Nancy" day again next year?

What about having "Nothing but Nancy Wednesdays" or perhaps the "Nothing but Nancy" weekends (Friday-Sunday)?

the gooch
09-14-2006, 01:42 PM
I am a strong advocate of "nothin' but Nancy" every Sunday, but the sox would lose a bunch of advertising dollars between innings. Most promotions or giveaways are sponsored and paid for by a corporation. If a company paid to get it done, maybe it is a possibility. I know I would buy any product from a company that gave me organ music.

the gooch
09-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Another Idea: Nancy in the Ninth (or any other inning) where we get an inning of Nothin but Nancy. This of course would require that she attend every game, but if its the fourth inning or so, maybe she will want to come back to every game if she knows she is appreciated and is guaranteed more playing time. Fans could vote (cheer) for what songs she will play, which is much better than that train wreck of a dance-off they use now. Afterwards, she could take off to beat traffic and get home if she wants to, or stick around if its a big game.