PDA

View Full Version : Identifying Old Pennants

Disantinon
09-09-2006, 10:42 AM
I collect old White Sox pennants. Problem is that I don't necessarily trust the age sellers have put on them.

Is there anyone out there with some expertise that might be willing to help me? I can email pictures. The old ones I am interested in dating are estimated to be anywhere from the 30's to the 60's. (I also have one that is supposedly from 1907 or so, there is pretty good circumstantial evidence that it is, but I have no way of proving it).

General questions that anyone can answer that might be helpful to me:

1. When was the flying sock logo first used?
2. Old Comiskey was officially known as White Sox Park 1910-1912 and 1962-1975... was White Sox Park used commonly enough in the intervening time that it might have been placed on a pennant?
3. When did the phrase Go Go Sox arise? Was it used before 1959?

Thanks!

P.S. If anyone has an extra 2000 AL Central champs pennant laying around, or knows where I can get one, let me know, I've been looking everywhere.

Lip Man 1
09-09-2006, 01:06 PM
To answer your questions:

The 'flying sock' logo was first used in 1951.

During the 60's the Sox owners quietly stopped called the park by it's 'official' name. It was referred to even during the on air broadcasts and in promotions spots as 'White Sox' park. If I had to give a time frame it would be from of 1962 through 1976 when Veeck got the club back.

The 'go-go' phrase is most commonly associated with the 59 team but it actually started being used in 1951 when manager Paul Richards completely turned around the fortunes of a dead from the neck up franchise. The Sox had young speedy players like Minoso, Fox, Busby and they started running wild on the basepaths.

Lip

CWSpalehoseCWS
09-10-2006, 01:19 AM
Try baseball-almanac.com for logo pics. If you go to the Sox, click on the year, and they have a pic of the logo for that year (before the roster). I'm not sure how accurate the earlier ones are, but it looks right to me.