PDA

View Full Version : Would Ryan Howard

Whitesox4ever
09-09-2006, 02:21 AM
have as many as HR's if he played in the American League.. Don't get me wrong he is an awesome talent and one of the top players in the game today but I think his HR total would be alot less if he was up aganist better talented pitchers in the AL...

BNLSox
09-09-2006, 05:38 AM
I was actually thinking about this.... The NL holds the 3 highest season totals for HR's. Typically a slugger in the NL would see a few less AB's per season due to the very low BA of pitchers. Thus we are either left to conclude that coincidentally McGwire, Bonds, Sosa and now Howard were all in the NL and they are simply greater power talents or that the pitching is just easier to deal with.

Since NL teams can often choose to pitch around these giants, no pun intended, more than an AL team can with the old DH to protect, I am left feeling like pitching has something to do with it.

Still Ryan is simply amazing. The Phillies really knew they had no place for big Jim.

Tragg
09-09-2006, 09:06 AM
Still Ryan is simply amazing. The Phillies really knew they had no place for big Jim.
That's the best kind of trade there is...both teams trading from strength to plug a hole.

soxfan13
09-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Yeah If he was in the AL he would have 54:cool:

samram
09-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Yes, he would have 56. This guy's been hitting sixth for a lot of the season (not now) and had little or no protection from Bell or Lieberthal (thanks to the brilliant Charlie Manuel!).

Fenway
09-09-2006, 11:43 AM
How many homers would Ortiz have if he played for the Phillies?

RKMeibalane
09-09-2006, 03:00 PM
Yes, he would have 56. This guy's been hitting sixth for a lot of the season (not now) and had little or no protection from Bell or Lieberthal (thanks to the brilliant Charlie Manuel!).

Actually, he only hit sixth for the first few weeks of the season. He's spent most of the year hitting fifth, but was moved up to fourth after Abreu was traded.

samram
09-09-2006, 03:05 PM
Actually, he only hit sixth for the first few weeks of the season. He's spent most of the year hitting fifth, but was moved up to fourth after Abreu was traded.

Well, even hitting fifth, he may have had a struggling Burell hitting behind him assuming Utley wasn't hitting second and Burell fourth. My point is Manuel didn't set him up to be the focal point of the offense and he has still been fantastic.

DaleJRFan
09-09-2006, 11:34 PM
How many homers would Ortiz have if he played for the Phillies?

Bigger question - who the hell cares? :rolleyes:

Ortiz plays in the AL. Howard plays in the NL. They are both really good.

EndemicSox
09-10-2006, 12:44 AM
He has faced some terrible pitchers, check the # of HR's he has hit off of guys who will be out of the league in two years. Nevertheless, he is a beast.

chaerulez
09-10-2006, 12:46 AM
Bigger question - who the hell cares? :rolleyes:

Ortiz plays in the AL. Howard plays in the NL. They are both really good.

Yeah no kidding, a good player is a good player regardless of what league they are in. Maybe Howard hits more HRs in the AL, maybe he hits less, he's still a very good player.