PDA

View Full Version : Empty seats at Wrigley

Railsplitter
09-08-2006, 11:44 AM
I noticed watching TV on my lunch break yesterday there were scores on green seats at Chewing Gum Park. Anybody think it will be a news item?

ewokpelts
09-08-2006, 11:50 AM
nope..they'll say the kids were at school

Tom~Attitude
09-08-2006, 11:55 AM
Today's Tribune:
"The announced attendance of 27,105 was the smallest home crowd since 20,032 turned out to watch a Cubs-Reds game Sept. 26, 2002, during the final days of Bruce Kimm's 78-game stint as interim manager. There were several thousand no-shows again as Cubs fans continue to eat their tickets"

Railsplitter
09-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Today's Tribune:
Cubs fans continue to eat their tickets"

Proabably better for you than Wrigley cusine:wink:

MrRoboto83
09-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Today's Tribune:
"The announced attendance of 27,105 was the smallest home crowd since 20,032 turned out to watch a Cubs-Reds game Sept. 26, 2002, during the final days of Bruce Kimm's 78-game stint as interim manager. There were several thousand no-shows again as Cubs fans continue to eat their tickets"

Still a pretty good attendance for the only 6th place team in baseball.:o:

spiffie
09-08-2006, 12:14 PM
That's paid attendance. That's basically all season tickets and first-day sales. The actuall attendance was probably closer to 15,000 or so.

Beer Can Chicken
09-08-2006, 12:24 PM
It was a lead Cub;s story in the Tribune. It was mentioned in the Sun-Times. I heard it on 3 different sports radio updates, XRT, Score and 97.1. So I would say a resounding, yes.

MrRoboto83
09-08-2006, 12:26 PM
That's paid attendance. That's basically all season tickets and first-day sales. The actuall attendance was probably closer to 15,000 or so.

Yeah i figured that, but still amazes me why anyone would want to go period.

MrRoboto83
09-08-2006, 12:28 PM
It was a lead Cub;s story in the Tribune. It was mentioned in the Sun-Times. I heard it on 3 different sports radio updates, XRT, Score and 97.1. So I would say a resounding, yes.

I surprised the Cubune wasn't trying to bury this kind of news.

voodoochile
09-08-2006, 12:30 PM

If you had an afternoon off and had tickets to a game, any game or knew you could pick some up for free or for like $5, would it matter how good the team playing was?

It's still baseball and it's still fun to watch and kick back with a brew and some friends.

ewokpelts
09-08-2006, 12:31 PM
If you had an afternoon off and had tickets to a game, any game or knew you could pick some up for free or for like $5, would it matter how good the team playing was?

It's still baseball and it's still fun to watch and kick back with a brew and some friends.agree 100%.....

Beer Can Chicken
09-08-2006, 12:32 PM

It's still baseball and it's still fun to watch and kick back with a brew and some friends.

AND it's in the 70's and sunny out. Count me in any day of the week.

MrRoboto83
09-08-2006, 12:34 PM

I suppose you are right, although I would rather catch what's on Lifetime television.:o:

35th&Shields
09-08-2006, 12:36 PM

And there, in a nutshell, is why people still flock to Wrigley Field no matter how bad the teams are. Baseball is baseball.

ewokpelts
09-08-2006, 12:36 PM
I suppose you are right, although I would rather catch what's on Lifetime television.:o:cubs or lifetime? pick your sobfest

cheeses_h_rice
09-08-2006, 12:37 PM

There's no litmus test for gaining admission to a Cubs game. A tourist killing time while on a vacation is the same as a rabid diehard fan in the attendance statistics category.

Hell, I saw the Flubs/Pirates 2 weeks ago at PNC and there were still 13,000 people there watching the 2 worst teams in the NL. Add in Chicago's population base, its status as a tourist destination, and the Urinal's shrine status, and it's not hard to see why they can still draw 20K+ no matter how ****ty they play.

MrRoboto83
09-08-2006, 12:37 PM
cubs or lifetime? pick your sobfest

Exactly:D:

ewokpelts
09-08-2006, 12:39 PM
There's no litmus test for gaining admission to a Cubs game. A tourist killing time while on a vacation is the same as a rabid diehard fan in the attendance statistics category.

Hell, I saw the Flubs/Pirates 2 weeks ago at PNC and there were still 13,000 people there watching the 2 worst teams in the NL. Add in Chicago's population base, its status as a tourist destination, and the Urinal's shrine status, and it's not hard to see why they can still draw 20K+ no matter how ****ty they play.wasnt pnc park awesome? i love that park....too bad i couldnt take it with me on my way back from the all star game

Hitmen77
09-08-2006, 12:42 PM

It's the trend that's noteworthy. Of course they're going to have high attendance all season - because flub fans and ticket scalpers bought all of these tickets back in February when a) they actually thought the Cubs were going to be contenders this year and b) they were concerned about ticket availability if they didn't buy up a bunch of tickets.

It'll be interesting to see how quickly people jump to gobble up Cub tickets next Februray after this year's debacle of a season. They'll still do fine thanks to tourists and their entrenched, huge fan base - but I think their will be a drop off.

ewokpelts
09-08-2006, 12:50 PM
It's the trend that's noteworthy. Of course they're going to have high attendance all season - because flub fans and ticket scalpers bought all of these tickets back in February when a) they actually thought the Cubs were going to be contenders this year and b) they were concerned about ticket availability if they didn't buy up a bunch of tickets.

It'll be interesting to see how quickly people jump to gobble up Cub tickets next Februray after this year's debacle of a season. They'll still do fine thanks to tourists and their entrenched, huge fan base - but I think their will be a drop off.
and let's not forget that wrigley field premium may not "buy" as many tickets as this year(which were all conviently dumped on cubs.com now)

SOXintheBURGH
09-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Was it a Woods or Pryor start?

I noticed this morning watching the Bucs highlight show and had a good chuckle.

Hitmen77
09-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Add in Chicago's population base, its status as a tourist destination, and the Urinal's shrine status, and it's not hard to see why they can still draw 20K+ no matter how ****ty they play.

Remember that the Cubs spent about 20 years build up a huge fan base while the Sox spent almost the same amount of time driving fans away. The kids won over to the dark side (Cubs) after 1984 and during the Sosa years are now adults totally raised on blue koolaid aren't going to go away.

But, things are changing. Check out how many kids are wearing Sox stuff now. 10 or 15 years from now there will be tons of young adults telling you how they became Sox fans for life thanks to the '05 World Series team and they'll have fond memories of going to games at the Cell, going to the Fundamentals section, etc.

Hitmen77
09-08-2006, 01:12 PM
It was a lead Cubs story in the Tribune. It was mentioned in the Sun-Times. I heard it on 3 different sports radio updates, XRT, Score and 97.1. So I would say a resounding, yes.

But, did they report this yesterday?

Wrigley Attendance: 27,105
Cell Attendance: 34,671

In past years when both teams were playing at home, the media made sure to point out how the Cubs outdrew the Sox in head-to-head competition. Funny how they're trotting out the kids-are-back-in-school excuse for the Cubs. Aren't Sox fans' kids back in school too?:?:

I guess the excuse is that it's because the Cubs are playing so poorly. But, what a minute, I thought the Cubs and Sox have essentially the same record since the All Star break. Most of all, I thought Cub fans were so great that they'll show up no matter what and there will be a sellout no matter how bad the team is doing. :rolleyes:

PatK
09-08-2006, 01:25 PM
I surprised the Cubune wasn't trying to bury this kind of news.

I'm not. They'd do anything to divert attention from the fact that they have questionably the worst team in baseball.

Sure, you could say Royals, but in the toughest division in baseball, somebody's gotta be the bottom feeder.

At least the Bucs and Rays TRY to be bad, whereas the Cubs spent over $100 million this year.

DumpJerry
09-08-2006, 01:29 PM
1. Keep in mind that the National League counts all tickets distributed for a game in the attendance number. The American League counts only sold tickets, complementary tickets do not count. Therefore, the number being reported at Sox games is less than the actual number of bodies in the park.

2. An officemate got an email today from a broker-they are offering Cub tickets below face, hurry while they last.

maurice
09-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Aren't Sox fans' kids back in school too?:?:

:Tribune
Sox fans' kids don't attend school.
They sit around smoking pot all day.
:cool:

SOXintheBURGH
09-08-2006, 01:43 PM
:Tribune
Sox fans' kids don't attend school.
They sit around smoking pot all day.
:cool:

What was that Cubune headline?

US Insular Field?

FielderJones
09-08-2006, 01:54 PM

Yes (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060908soxcubsattendance,1,3368028.htmlstory?coll=c s-home-headlines).

And this (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060907cubsgamer,1,6437704.story?coll=cs-home-headlines).

But, Cubune as they are, they have to spin it:
The Sox actually had a packed house with the freebies given away on student achiever night.

:rolleyes:

Beer Can Chicken
09-08-2006, 01:56 PM

In past years when both teams were playing at home, the media made sure to point out how the Cubs outdrew the Sox in head-to-head competition. Funny how they're trotting out the kids-are-back-in-school excuse for the Cubs. Aren't Sox fans' kids back in school too?:?:

I guess the excuse is that it's because the Cubs are playing so poorly. But, what a minute, I thought the Cubs and Sox have essentially the same record since the All Star break. Most of all, I thought Cub fans were so great that they'll show up no matter what and there will be a sellout no matter how bad the team is doing. :rolleyes:

This doenst sound like a 'kids back in school' excuse to me.

From the Tribune: "The half-empty bleachers and upper deck are stark symbols of the fans' abandonment."

DumpJerry
09-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Yes (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060908soxcubsattendance,1,3368028.htmlstory?coll=c s-home-headlines).

And this (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060907cubsgamer,1,6437704.story?coll=cs-home-headlines).

Those "freebie" did not count towards the 34,000. Every section was full last night on 500. That means there were close to 39,000 souls in the place.

Hitmen77
09-08-2006, 02:00 PM

Quote:
The Sox actually had a packed house with the freebies given away on student achiever night.

Damn those White Sox for rewarding good students!

Anyway, give away tickets do not count towards the Sox total. So, what is the Cubune talking about.:?:

Hitmen77
09-08-2006, 02:02 PM
This doenst sound like a 'kids back in school' excuse to me.

From the Tribune: "The half-empty bleachers and upper deck are stark symbols of the fans' abandonment."

Wow! They also admitted this:

The Cubs still have drawn more than 2.7 million fans, but the majority of tickets were sold before April 19, when Derrek Lee went down with a broken wrist and the Cubs' season began to unravel.

jenn2080
09-08-2006, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto83

what he said. and you dont understand because you dont like the team. however there are real fans. not wrigley field fans. real fans. would you stop going to sox games if they were playing the way have been all year?

PatK
09-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Damn those White Sox for rewarding good students!

Anyway, give away tickets do not count towards the Sox total. So, what is the Cubune talking about.:?:

Maybe yesterday was the day the Cubune rewarded good students.

Seeing as only an idiot would be a Cub fan, it makes sense that the place was empty.

Or half-filled, like their collective craniums.

roylestillman
09-08-2006, 03:12 PM

You may have stumbled across the Cubbies 2007 marketing campaign.

soxinem1
09-08-2006, 04:21 PM

To see then regain last place!!!

bayzbol44
09-08-2006, 04:25 PM
:whocares

Why are Sox fans obsessed with that damn team?

RadioheadRocks
09-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Today's Tribune:

"Listen to the tide slowly turnin'..."

Max Power
09-08-2006, 04:42 PM

Pretty much sums up why I was at the game yesterday. It was our office outing, so: free ticket, free food, paid afternoon off from work. And the weather was nice too.
There were maybe 15,000 in the park.

cheeses_h_rice
09-08-2006, 05:04 PM

For the zillionth time, if you're not interested in the topic, you don't have to click on the thread.

And one can discuss the travails of the other team in town without necessarily being "obsessed." In case you hadn't noticed, the White Sox were on the verge of virtual extinction not 3 short years ago; the reversal of fortunes is a legitimate topic of discussion, IMO.

JohnBasedowYoda
09-08-2006, 05:07 PM
My dad (born in the 40's) is quick to point out how hard it was to fill Wrigley during the 50s and various other portions of history. Maybe that'll happen again? :dunno:

itsnotrequired
09-08-2006, 05:17 PM
For the zillionth time, if you're not interested in the topic, you don't have to click on the thread.

And one can discuss the travails of the other team in town without necessarily being "obsessed." In case you hadn't noticed, the White Sox were on the verge of virtual extinction not 3 short years ago; the reversal of fortunes is a legitimate topic of discussion, IMO.

Stupid cheeses, threads are for kids!

hsnterprize
09-08-2006, 05:22 PM

Why are Sox fans obsessed with that damn team?I don't think it's obsession this time. With all the years of "attendance, attendance, attendance" from the Cubune, and people bragging about how Wrigley is filled no matter how good or bad the team is, the Cubune knows the "air is fizzling out of the balloon" so to speak. In other words, the hype, myth, folklore, and everything associated with the "Wrigley Field Experience" is fading fast, and the suits at the Cubune Tower don't know what to do about it. Sure...they'll make excuses about kids being in school when their place is less-than-full, but when it's our place...you already know what'll happen.

It's about time those Cubbie-blue bleeding bastards on Michigan Avenue ate all the crap they've been spweing out for so many years. Granted, the Cubs have been marketing their ballpark and such for generations, but this recent stint courtesy of the Tribune Company is getting old faster than their 1908 World Championshp banner. Not to mention, when your biggest in-city rivals about 10 miles south of you are in the midst of a pennant race for the 2nd year in a row AFTER they've won the city's first baseball championship in 88 years, the backlash isn't a question of "if", but questions of "when", and "how/if they will recover?"

LongLiveFisk
09-08-2006, 06:26 PM
My dad (born in the 40's) is quick to point out how hard it was to fill Wrigley during the 50s and various other portions of history. Maybe that'll happen again? :dunno:

Dating as recently as the Lee Elia tirade of 1983, there were only about 3,000 fans at the game.

Railsplitter
09-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Empty seats at Wrigley. What a beautiful sight:smile:

GoSox2K3
09-08-2006, 07:16 PM

Why are some WSI members so obsessed with Gary Coleman? I swear, our little buddy from Gary, Indiana is the most overused graphic on this site. If you don't care, then why go to "What's the Score" and open a thread titled "Empty Seats at Wrigley".:?:

Oh, and by the way this is a relevant issue for What's the Score. Anyone who thinks that the Sox taking a bigger share of the Chicago market from the Cubs doesn't matter is living in a fool's paradise. Please look back at what almost happened to our team in 1968, 1975, and 1988 because of attendance issue.

Seems to be that as recently as last September, the Chicago media was openly admitting that they gave the Sox less coverage because of their perception that people only care about the Cubs.

Hitmen77
09-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Dating as recently as the Lee Elia tirade of 1983, there were only about 3,000 fans at the game.

I believe the source of that information was Mr. Elia himself. :roflmao:

LongLiveFisk
09-08-2006, 10:14 PM

Maybe so, but the attendance back in those days was abysmal, whether he said it himself or not. :cool:

Hitmen77
09-09-2006, 12:27 AM
Maybe so, but the attendance back in those days was abysmal, whether he said it himself or not. :cool:

Yeah, but he said it in such a colorful way!

SOXPHILE
09-09-2006, 03:37 PM

Yep. As has been stated many times before here, 1984 was the pivitol year for them. That's when going to Wrigley became "an experience". The very fact that the Cubs were actually winning that year drew throngs of people, baseball and non baseball fans alike, for the sheer oddity of it all. That in turn led to a resurgence of the neighborhood, with all the bars, and yuppie/fratboy/trixie hangouts, and presto ! Wrigley Field and the area around it became a tourist destination, a Marte Gras North if you will. The game on the field was only an excuse, and really didn't matter. The atmosphere did. Before then, as a kid, I remember the upper deck being CLOSED due to lack of fans, and Vince Lloyd and Lou Boudreu (sp ?) commenting during the radio broadcast how they don't even think there were 5000 people in the park, and imploring folks to come on down to "beautiful" Wrigley Field, there's always PLENTY of tickets available.

miker
09-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Why are some WSI members so obsessed with Gary Coleman? I swear, our little buddy from Gary, Indiana is the most overused graphic on this site. If you don't care, then why go to "What's the Score" and open a thread titled "Empty Seats at Wrigley".:?:

Oh, and by the way this is a relevant issue for What's the Score. Anyone who thinks that the Sox taking a bigger share of the Chicago market from the Cubs doesn't matter is living in a fool's paradise. Please look back at what almost happened to our team in 1968, 1975, and 1988 because of attendance issue.

Seems to be that as recently as last September, the Chicago media was openly admitting that they gave the Sox less coverage because of their perception that people only care about the Cubs.
Kudos to you, my fellow Sox fan, for truly understanding!

tony1972
09-09-2006, 08:22 PM
It is so odd in the regular season to see Wrigley so empty and the Cell so packed..

Even if we don't make the playoffs this year (which we will) the days of 15,000 in the stands are LONG GONE...as long as we stay fairly competive for the next few years...also going to several games this year I have spoken to many people who returned to the park for the first time since the 1990's and were extremely impressed with how beautiful our park is now..with fans re-discovering how nice our park is and the fact that the neighborhood is really beginning to change and will be more lively and fun with each passing year the park should always be pretty full from now on.....

WGN showing tons of Sox games..our place packed with Wrigley empty..I really think there has been a 'baseball realignment' in this town and the trend will continue with so many young fans choosing the Sox now because of the World Series last year..we captured a new generation of fans last year much like the Cubs did with WGN in the 80's and 90's..

ChiSoxLifer
09-09-2006, 08:22 PM

Obviously you care. You put enough effort and took enough time to read the thread headline and post this stupid graphic in here.

Sox-o-matic
09-09-2006, 09:21 PM

While we hear more about the Cubs than most people because we're Sox fans and most of us live in the Chicagoland area, the Cubs are still national media darlings so even if the Cubs played in a different city this would be news.

Ironically enough, it has been the success of the Sox that has made Cub fans become sickly aware of losing and caused them to stop supporting the team. Should this lead to a further overhaul and improvement of the Cub's roster as well as a move up in the standings, Cub fans have only one team to thank:

Mod edit: You can't use a registered trademark (like the Sox logo) without permission of the owner (the Sox). Please be advised and not do this again.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-09-2006, 11:17 PM
I love how upset people get at Gary Coleman on this site :D: , let it go if you see him.

RSox78
09-09-2006, 11:48 PM
The great Mike North kept saying that the attendance of 27,000 was people in the stadium not tickets sold. He said 41,000 tickets sold. He doesn't know what the box score attendance numbers mean.

Att: 27,000 (41,000) Yeah mike the second number is capacity, not tickets sold.

slavko
09-09-2006, 11:59 PM
The great Mike North kept saying that the attendance of 27,000 was people in the stadium not tickets sold. He said 41,000 tickets sold. He doesn't know what the box score attendance numbers mean.

Att: 27,000 (41,000) Yeah mike the second number is capacity, not tickets sold.

Do yourself a favor and stop tuning him in. You'll immediately get smarter and better looking.

LongLiveFisk
09-10-2006, 12:42 AM
Do yourself a favor and stop tuning him in. You'll immediately get smarter and better looking.

Well, I don't know about the "better looking" part, but the "smarter" part is a given. :wink:

C-Dawg
09-10-2006, 01:19 AM
..they'll say the kids were at school

I'm not sure if school being in session really accounts for much of a drop in attendance at Wrigley. I don't think they get the families with kids in the kind of numbers the Sox do. Admittedly, I've only been there twice as an adult, but both times I was struck by the absence (or extreme scarcity) of children. On the other hand, there are tons of families at the Cell for every game. Marketing to families is something the Sox are doing 100% right.

Hitmen77
09-10-2006, 01:19 AM
Yep. As has been stated many times before here, 1984 was the pivitol year for them. That's when going to Wrigley became "an experience". ...

In addition to '84, the Cubs also got a boost in '98 when Mr. Cork & Steroids surpassed Maris and people started showing up just to see Sosa. Then, just before he left in disgrace, the '03 playoff run gave them another boost - and don't forget they missed the playoffs by 1 game in '04 in an almost unheard of back to back good seasons for them. They were still riding their rare success into '05 and this season with fans still foolishly believing their team was a contender.

I think the Cubs will keep on drawing decently because of the bar scene and tourists at Wrigley, but this myth that they always draw 3 million no matter what is simply not true. Just look back to immediately before the Sosa circus era. In 1997, the Cubs drew less than 2 million.

Hitmen77
09-10-2006, 01:31 AM
It is so odd in the regular season to see Wrigley so empty and the Cell so packed..

Even if we don't make the playoffs this year (which we will) the days of 15,000 in the stands are LONG GONE...as long as we stay fairly competive for the next few years...also going to several games this year I have spoken to many people who returned to the park for the first time since the 1990's and were extremely impressed with how beautiful our park is now..with fans re-discovering how nice our park is and the fact that the neighborhood is really beginning to change and will be more lively and fun with each passing year the park should always be pretty full from now on.....

The ballpark renovations and neighborhood rejuvenation couldn't have been timed better w/ the World Series win. The championship season was priceless in allowing the Sox to showcase how great their ballpark is and how nice the area is becoming. This will give the Sox stability for years to come.

bayzbol44
09-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Obviously you care. You put enough effort and took enough time to read the thread headline and post this stupid graphic in here.

Uh, no. I did not start a thread about the damn Cubs. Why did I read it? Its like watching an accident, train wreck, etc. You look and you wonder...

Doesn't matter what excuses you guys use. You guys/gals are wasting energy on being jealous of the damn Cubs. The Sox won a Championship and people are still wondering why the Cubune loves the Cubs and not the Sox? Why the Cubune hides many flaws of the Cubs? Again, who cares. Let them be.

cheeses_h_rice
09-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Uh, no. I did not start a thread about the damn Cubs. Why did I read it? Its like watching an accident, train wreck, etc. You look and you wonder...

Doesn't matter what excuses you guys use. You guys/gals are wasting energy on being jealous of the damn Cubs. The Sox won a Championship and people are still wondering why the Cubune loves the Cubs and not the Sox? Why the Cubune hides many flaws of the Cubs? Again, who cares. Let them be.

You obviously care since you keep posting in this thread.

And exactly how much "energy" does it "waste" to type a sentence or two discussing the empty seats at Wrigley? That's funny, I feel just as energized now as I did 15 seconds ago when I started to type this. So bizarre.

Frontman
09-11-2006, 05:50 PM

Which means that low actual attendance means bubkiss to the Tribune company. Those seats are already paid for, even though there isn't a rear in any of 'em.

Front

Hitmen77
09-11-2006, 08:11 PM

So...you complain about Sox fans talking about the Cubs and wonder why we do it - but then you explain that doing certain things are ok because they are like watching train wrecks and accidents because you can't just help but look and wonder.

Aren't we talking about the same thing here? :dunno:

bayzbol44
09-12-2006, 01:50 PM
So...you complain about Sox fans talking about the Cubs and wonder why we do it - but then you explain that doing certain things are ok because they are like watching train wrecks and accidents because you can't just help but look and wonder.

Aren't we talking about the same thing here? :dunno:

Yes, we are. You are WSI king.

Keep on posting here in What's the Score, where Ronnie Woo-Woo is your hero on top of the screen. Ronnie Woo-Woo in a White Sox website? A whole other forum to talk about the Cubs??? Looks like some White Sox fans have some issues.

cheeses_h_rice
09-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Looks like some White Sox fans have some issues.

Yes, you do.

Hitmen77
09-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Yes, we are. You are WSI king. :?:

Keep on posting here in What's the Score, where Ronnie Woo-Woo is your hero on top of the screen. Ronnie Woo-Woo in a White Sox website? A whole other forum to talk about the Cubs??? Looks like some White Sox fans have some issues.

Who (aside from you) said anything in this thread about Ronnie Woo Woo?:?:

DumpJerry
09-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Which means that low actual attendance means bubkiss to the Tribune company. Those seats are already paid for, even though there isn't a rear in any of 'em.

Front
Actually, the Tribune Company is probably soiling their shorts over this. The $$ is not made in ticket revenue, but in consession sales. If someone buys a $40 ticket and attends the game, odds are by the time the final out is made, close to $80 or $90 is spent (including the ticket price). Now, take that missing $30-$40 and multiply it by 8,000+ no-shows and you're talking real money.

Also, empty seats on the television create the impression that they are no longer popular and that hurts not only ticket sales, but paraphernalia (clothing, etc.) sales which is also a larger revenue producer than the tickets.

Scottzilla
09-12-2006, 03:19 PM
How could the Cubs possibly make any money on $5 Pabst??

RSox78
09-12-2006, 06:55 PM

Yeah I wish I could, but the only other option is Mike and Mike to hear sports talk in the morning. I want to hear local sports not the latest on TO.

Frontman
09-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Yeah I wish I could, but the only other option is Mike and Mike to hear sports talk in the morning. I want to hear local sports not the latest on TO.

Not to mention the mid-day shows aren't much better on either station. You either get Murph and his "force this topic to relate to the Cubs no matter how far out it is" or Dan Patrick's "Big Show" which is mostly a list of random thoughts as well as listing what will happen later in the show, once Keith Obermann joins him.

I'm sorry, but both really suck.

Front

slavko
09-12-2006, 10:54 PM

Agreed. But M & M do have a better show, are more intelligent, nicer guys, and do have topics of interest to me. I just can't make myself listen to North and his cast of bozos and bozettes.

bayzbol44
09-12-2006, 11:03 PM
:?:

Who (aside from you) said anything in this thread about Ronnie Woo Woo?:?:

Uh, I didn't say anyone said anything about your friend. I said he is picture at the top of this forum section.

Frontman
09-13-2006, 09:20 AM
Agreed. But M & M do have a better show, are more intelligent, nicer guys, and do have topics of interest to me. I just can't make myself listen to North and his cast of bozos and bozettes.

North would actually be tolerable without the politics and Anne. She's a pain in the rear. What is the point of being on a sports talk station if you look down your nose at what guys (who is the main target audience) are interested in?

Front

Hitmen77
09-13-2006, 09:42 AM
Uh, I didn't say anyone said anything about your friend. I said he is picture at the top of this forum section.

Welcome to my ignore list, jerk. Are you 13 years old or something? Sure sounds like it with your stupid childish comments.

If you don't like this topic, stop hijacking this thread with your idiotic remarks.

GoSox2K3
09-13-2006, 09:51 AM
Welcome to my ignore list, jerk. Are you 13 years old or something? Sure sounds like it with your stupid childish comments.

If you don't like this topic, stop hijacking this thread with your idiotic remarks.

Yeah, but why are you such good friends with Ronnie Woo Woo?:rolleyes:

He just made my ignore list too. Wow, that's a great feature. No more dumb comments (except when quoted) in this thread.

cheeses_h_rice
09-13-2006, 09:59 AM

Haven't you learned, Hitmen? When you even so much as discuss anything that happens with the other ballclub in town, you've done the equivalent of inviting Ronnie Woo-Woo Wickers back to your pad for a night of wooing, drinking and cavorting. Everyone knows you can't discuss anything related to the Cubs, because that by definition makes you "obsessed." But then again, apparently you can venture into the part of WSI's boards devoted to off-topic and Cubs conversation, click on a thread titled "Empty Seats at Wrigley," read all the way through it, and then safely lob verbal grenades into it...because that shows how NON-obsessed you are.

Or some such thing.

bayzbol44
09-13-2006, 01:30 PM

Ewwww, a jerk??? What such big words Hitmen.

Hitmen77
09-13-2006, 08:40 PM
bayzbol44 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=4960) This message is hidden because bayzbol44 is on your ignore list (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editlist).

Ignore list....yes!!:bandance:

bestkosher
09-14-2006, 10:18 PM
bayzbol..has been very bad to him maybe we shoulds top being oppssesed with bayzbol and start a bayzbol awareness foundation with ribbons of cubbie blue, and pay a dollar to where a wrist band saying I love Gary Coleman.

Bayzbol go back to hiding under your imaginiary bridge and be the :dtroll: you always wanted to be. Maybe you to can steal childrens' souls for a living like the Harry Carray statue

WizardsofOzzie
09-14-2006, 10:50 PM
Yes, we are. You are WSI king.

:DJ
"Uh-oh"

ChiSoxLifer
09-14-2006, 11:13 PM
Ugh! This wrong! This is completely wrong! When there's empty seats at Wrigley, that means people are actually paying attention to the game! They watch the game, actually understand their team is losing, and don't come back. This just turns upside down everything I've ever known about cubs "fans". What the heck is wrong with this picture? :angry:

Next thing you know the tribune might actually do something about it and field a decent, non-flukey team. They have to sellout every game and all the seats must be filled. The only time I want to see a good team play at Wrigley is during the interleague series and the White Sox are beating the heck out of the cubs.

davenicholson
09-15-2006, 08:04 AM
"Listen to the tide slowly turnin'..."
Nice Moodies reference! To continue:
"...but I'm frightened for your children..."

Railsplitter
09-15-2006, 11:51 AM
With a lower number of Cubs' games on WGN that there were twenty years ago, maybe those out of town cable fans are losing interest.

We can only hope.

bayzbol44
09-15-2006, 01:30 PM
bayzbol..has been very bad to him maybe we shoulds top being oppssesed with bayzbol and start a bayzbol awareness foundation with ribbons of cubbie blue, and pay a dollar to where a wrist band saying I love Gary Coleman.

Bayzbol go back to hiding under your imaginiary bridge and be the :dtroll: you always wanted to be. Maybe you to can steal childrens' souls for a living like the Harry Carray statue

I'm a troll because I am not obsessed with the Cubs??? Keep on hiding in the closet Bestkosher. Again, I am not sure why there are so many Sox ans obsessed with Cubs news. Again, who cares what that team, its owners, its paper and whatever else does???

The Racehorse
09-16-2006, 11:46 AM
Because Iowa (Big Ten) and Iowa State (Big 12) play in different conferences, the head-to-head meeting in the only measuring stick the teams have. There's also no major pro sports in Iowa, save for Kerry Wood's annual rehab start for the Triple-A Iowa Cubs. link (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14837744/)

As an Iowa guy born & raised, all the Cubbie fans in my home state have there attention on other things which is helping to create all those empty seats at Wrigley Field. :D:

TDog
09-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Ignore list....yes!!:bandance:

Although there are posters I should ignore, I wouldn't maintain an ignore list. It's not like screening automoated telephone calls. Even when I don't find humor in the people I disagree with, I have no problem in looking what they have to say. I can't conceive of a rational argument to fire Ozzie Guillen, for example, but I don't feel I have to ignore them or invoke Gary Coleman in reply. It's not like it's being left on my answering machine.

I'm probably on a few ignore lists myself, so my argument might be pointless.

GoSox2K3
09-17-2006, 10:39 AM
bayzbol44 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=4960) This message is hidden because bayzbol44 is on your ignore list (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editlist).

Ok, that's 6 posts on a thread you don't care about.:kukoo:

Hitmen77
09-17-2006, 02:03 PM
Although there are posters I should ignore, I wouldn't maintain an ignore list. It's not like screening automoated telephone calls. Even when I don't find humor in the people I disagree with, I have no problem in looking what they have to say. I can't conceive of a rational argument to fire Ozzie Guillen, for example, but I don't feel I have to ignore them or invoke Gary Coleman in reply. It's not like it's being left on my answering machine.

I'm probably on a few ignore lists myself, so my argument might be pointless.

Yes, I agree. I don't close my mind to people who have what I think to be crazy opinions about what the Sox should do (just like your fire Ozzie example) and I don't believe in using ignore lists for them. But, I draw the line at childish remarks.

http://www.geocities.com/audrahammer/jimbo2.jpghttp://www.geocities.com/audrahammer/kearny2.jpghttp://www.geocities.com/audrahammer/dolph2.jpg

Jimbo: Oh, sorry!
Dolph: We forgot how much you love [Jebediah Springfield] Ronnie Woo Woo.
Bayzbol44: Yeah, he's your boyfriend.:rolleyes:

Oh, and welcome to my ignore list TDog! Just kidding. :tongue:

bayzbol44
09-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Yes, I agree. I don't close my mind to people who have what I think to be crazy opinions about what the Sox should do (just like your fire Ozzie example) and I don't believe in using ignore lists for them. But, I draw the line at childish remarks.

http://www.geocities.com/audrahammer/jimbo2.jpghttp://www.geocities.com/audrahammer/kearny2.jpghttp://www.geocities.com/audrahammer/dolph2.jpg

Jimbo: Oh, sorry!
Dolph: We forgot how much you love [Jebediah Springfield] Ronnie Woo Woo.
Bayzbol44: Yeah, he's your boyfriend.:rolleyes:

Oh, and welcome to my ignore list TDog! Just kidding. :tongue:

I know you will never read this Hit"men". However, your quote there of my post is incorrect. I never said Ronnie was your boyfriend. Just your friend. I am not sure what you are admitting to by changing my wording.

Childish remarks? By referring to Ronnie Woo Woo. Hmmm, how is that childish when your boy is pictured here.

Again, I think it is more childish that White Sox fans are so obsessed about the Cubs.