PDA

View Full Version : *Official* When will we win 8 in a row again? Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
09-07-2006, 11:17 PM
Please get them tomorrow.:whiner:

Kub_Killer_15
09-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Street light
Trolls
living just to see our emotion
hiding some where in the night
Working hard to get my fill,
everybody wants a thrill
Payin Ozzie' anything to roll his line-up dice,
just one more time
Some line ups will win , some will lose
Some were born to sing the blues
Oh, the season line-ups never ends
It goes on and on and on and on

These mystery meat line-ups are getting outta control

rdwj
09-07-2006, 11:18 PM
We don't look like a playoff team.

Hell, we don't look like a 500 team

cleanwsox
09-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Hell, a two game winning streak would feel like 8 right about now. How the heck are we still in this race.

jenn2080
09-07-2006, 11:19 PM
When will we win 8 in a row again you ask? When we play the NL again. This was unreal. The stadium was more then half empty by the 8th.

I appreciates Ozzie's line up roulette.

Myrtle72
09-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Yeah, um, what happened there?

Was yesterday the fluke?

buehrle4cy05
09-07-2006, 11:20 PM
I don't know what to think anymore. I guess I'll never get too excited or too down on this team, because they are just so damn inconsistent.

slobes
09-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Well that sucked.

Hitmen77
09-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Double whammy:

Bad pitching and virtually no offense. I guess our 1 game winning streak is over.:(:

Frankfan4life
09-07-2006, 11:23 PM
Maybe everybody is having back trouble.

Procol Harum
09-07-2006, 11:24 PM
We don't look like a playoff team.

Hell, we don't look like a 500 team
That's the troof. I wonder when the Sox are gonna go on that roll that Hawk keeps talking about? 22 games left, and tonight's game really makes me wonder if this team as currently constituted and performing could go 11-11.After the last 4-5 starts I had begun to get a mild flush of optimism that maybe our pitching was showing signs of shaping up--but then we'd actually have to score more than a run or two per night on a consistent basis, wouldn't we?

samram
09-07-2006, 11:24 PM
When will we win 8 in a row again you ask? When we play the NL again. This was unreal. The stadium was more then half empty by the 8th.

I appreciates Ozzie's line up roulette.
Yeah, I like it too. I wonder when the last time they had the same lineup for two straight games was. Oh well, not much you can do when your starting pitcher throws batting practice.

thomas35forever
09-07-2006, 11:25 PM
Look on the bright side: if we don't make the playoffs this year, all those bandwagon jumpers from a year ago will finally go away.

zmz723
09-07-2006, 11:25 PM
I'm forgetting what its like to go on a winning streak. Our pitching is abysmal, especially cotts

SOXandILLINI
09-07-2006, 11:26 PM
it's kinda funny/sad, but i don't even get mad anymore... if it wasn't for the sox greed, maybe i could put $2700 back in my pocket.:angry:

Dan Mega
09-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Not sure what happened there besides total suckage.

Time's running out folks.

Myrtle72
09-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Time's running out folks.

I wonder if they realize that yet.

Vernam
09-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Pretty damn frustrating. The pitches Buehrle sailed way high are unlike him and make me wonder if his back might be worse than advertised.

Only .5 back, and a whole bunch of teams wish they could say that. Fortunately for us, style points don't count.

Vernam

Myrtle72
09-07-2006, 11:29 PM
Pretty damn frustrating. The pitches Buehrle sailed way high are unlike him and make me wonder if his back might be worse than advertised
Vernam

I almost hope that IS what's wrong with him... just so there is a reason for this madness.

JB98
Seventeen hits allowed against a Cleveland lineup that did not include Travis Hafner. ****ing brutal.

MadetoOrta
I wonder if they realize that yet.

They're playing like the tee times are set for October 2d. Never thought I'd say this in 2006, "thank God for the Tigers! Keep us in this imaginery pennant race." At least I can't blame Mackowiak.

samram
Pretty damn frustrating. The pitches Buehrle sailed way high are unlike him and make me wonder if his back might be worse than advertised.

Only .5 back, and a whole bunch of teams wish they could say that. Fortunately for us, style points don't count.

Vernam

I actually think if the playoffs started today and the Sox were in, he's possibly the one in the pen, if not Freddy. Never thought that would be the case.

jenn2080
09-07-2006, 11:31 PM
I dont know what to think however I cant see a 20 game post game thread for this. No point.

Lip Man 1
09-07-2006, 11:32 PM
I don't know what to say anymore about this team and these players.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised at anything they do anymore but I was shocked they were so flat, so disinterested.

More bad baseball, bad pitching, no hitting, baserunning blunders and another 'nagging' injury (Crede) disrupting the lineup.

That about sums it up.

22 games left.

We'll see what happens.

Very, very disappointed by the effort this evening.

Lip

kitekrazy
09-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Yeah, um, what happened there?

Was yesterday the fluke?

No. We should assume after they club a team for a game the bats go dry the next.

The other thing that would frustrate any starter on this team is when they leave men on, count the pen on increasing the starters ERA giving up 2 out hits.

It's also time for Ozzie to put the best line up out there possible. A.J. and Crede sat out.

Now we have Freddy Big Lame Garcia going tomorrow. If tonight wasn't a big game for the Sox why should it be for Freddy tomorrow.

It's a bad time for Thome and Konerko to be in a slump.

Myrtle72
09-07-2006, 11:34 PM
Talk about baserunning blunders... how do you forget how many outs there are? For JD of all people, the MVP??

JB98
09-07-2006, 11:37 PM
No. We should assume after they club a team for a game the bats go dry the next.

The other thing that would frustrate any starter on this team is when they leave men on, count the pen on increasing the starters ERA giving up 2 out hits.

It's also time for Ozzie to put the best line up out there possible. A.J. and Crede sat out.

Now we have Freddy Big Lame Garcia going tomorrow. If tonight wasn't a big game for the Sox why should it be for Freddy tomorrow.

It's a bad time for Thome and Konerko to be in a slump.

Thome was 4-for-4 last night. He has homered in three of his last five games. He's not in a slump.

kitekrazy
09-07-2006, 11:40 PM
Thome was 4-for-4 last night. He has homered in three of his last five games. He's not in a slump.

Oh that's right. Paulie defintitely is.

A. Cavatica
09-07-2006, 11:40 PM
Look on the bright side: if we don't make the playoffs this year, all those bandwagon jumpers from a year ago will finally go away.

If all those bandwagon jumpers go away, ticket sales go down, concession sales go down, merchandise sales go down, etc. That will lead to a smaller payroll and rebuilding. Be careful what you wish for...

eurotrash35
09-07-2006, 11:42 PM
I've written the team off. I watched football tonight instead of subjecting myself to the misery of this disgusting 2006 team. I'll tune in every once in a while to see how the september callups are doing but I'm not wasting much of my precious TV viewing time on white sox baseball until they make the playoffs or suddenly start playing like I've been waiting all season for them to play.

Gotta say it's a lot easier this way than how it's been for the past month or two. I finally feel at peace. Maybe this is how death row inmates feel. :redneck

eurotrash35
09-07-2006, 11:44 PM
If all those bandwagon jumpers go away, ticket sales go down, concession sales go down, merchandise sales go down, etc. That will lead to a smaller payroll and rebuilding. Be careful what you wish for...

Yep. How are we going to be able to afford this dominant pitching staff if we don't have the butts in the seats?

PeoriaSoxFan
09-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Still 1/2 game out. 1/2 game up tomorrow. I hope.

TheLittleBulldog
09-07-2006, 11:46 PM

Vernam

Knowing how Buerhle likes to make excuses after poor performances (Questec, scoreboard signals) I'm sure he'll make note of it to the press.

cheezheadsoxfan
09-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Didn't see or hear the game (had to work), sounds like just as well. These lineups are getting stranger and stranger.

southsideirish71
09-07-2006, 11:47 PM
I wonder at what point our hitters will realize that pulling the pitch that is located low and away is not smart. Pretty much for most of the 2nd half, pitchers have exclusively attacked us low and away. No one on our team seems to have figured this out, or they are too stubborn to adjust. Unless you have some sort of god like swing, you will have a hard time crushing that low and away pitch to the pull side. Farmer, Hawk and the rest keep stating that when Paulie is on, he crushes that pitch to right and right center. About 2 seconds later Paulie pulls it, and either dribbles it to the SS or pops it up.

Someone needs to learn how to adjust or come up with a gameplan. If people are going to continuously throw low and away, then take them the other way or back up the middle. We see time and time again when we throw away away away, and the opposition makes an adjustment and hits it to right. We seem incapable of making that adjustment this year.

:angry:

mark2olson
09-07-2006, 11:48 PM
Still 1/2 game out. 1/2 game up tomorrow. I hope.

I appreciate and share your optimism. However, the sand flows through the hourglass at an ever increasing rate.

JB98
09-07-2006, 11:48 PM
Oh that's right. Paulie defintitely is.

Konerko has been getting his hits, but not at key times. Very little run production from Paulie lately.

kitekrazy
09-07-2006, 11:49 PM

I just hope the ownership isn't satisfied with one World Series.

eurotrash35
09-07-2006, 11:49 PM
Konerko has been getting his hits, but not at key times. Very little run production from Paulie lately.

It's been like that for a while now. At least since the start of August.

eurotrash35
09-07-2006, 11:50 PM
I just hope the ownership isn't satisfied with one World Series.

You wouldn't be seeing a payroll hovering around a hundred mil if that were the case.

Norberto7
09-07-2006, 11:53 PM
Roger Waters wrote a song about the experience of watching the '06 Sox. Here's a few excerpts:

Hello,
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone at home?

Now I've got that feeling once again.
I can't explain, you would not understand.
This is not how I am.
I have become comfortably numb.

eurotrash35
09-07-2006, 11:55 PM
Roger Waters wrote a song about the experience of watching the '06 Sox. Here's a few excerpts:

Hello,
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone at home?

Now I've got that feeling once again.
I can't explain, you would not understand.
This is not how I am.
I have become comfortably numb.

Hey, he wrote a song for us fans too! :tongue:

You better make your face up,
In your favorite disguise,
With your button-down lips,
And your roller blind eyes.
With your empty smile,
And your hungry heart,
Feel the bile rising,
From your guilty past.
With your nerves in tatters,
As the cockleshell shatters,
And the hammers batter,
Down your door,
You better run.

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-07-2006, 11:57 PM
I hate when people make excuses for Buehrle so much when he gets pounded. "There must be something bothering him". No, there's nothing. He's already stated that he feels fine physically.

southside rocks
09-07-2006, 11:58 PM
What an awful game. Beautiful night, awful game. I felt like the players should have been standing at the exits, handing each of us a twenty-dollar bill on our way out and saying 'sorry about that, drinks are on us tonight.' Seems like the least they could have done...

Norberto7
09-08-2006, 12:01 AM
Hey, he wrote a song for us fans too! :tongue:

You better make your face up,
In your favorite disguise,
With your button-down lips,
And your roller blind eyes.
With your empty smile,
And your hungry heart,
Feel the bile rising,
From your guilty past.
With your nerves in tatters,
As the cockleshell shatters,
And the hammers batter,
Down your door,
You better run.

:thumbsup:

The bile part would be especially fitting...were it not for the previously mentioned numbness.

jenn2080
09-08-2006, 12:02 AM
What an awful game. Beautiful night, awful game. I felt like the players should have been standing at the exits, handing each of us a twenty-dollar bill on our way out and saying 'sorry about that, drinks are on us tonight.' Seems like the least they could have done...

funny i said today i felt bad for the people who went to the game. that they should get a refund after.

A. Cavatica
09-08-2006, 12:02 AM
Giving up on the team makes no sense. If we can win one more game than the Twins over the next 22 then we are in the playoffs, and we're way overdue to play better.

It's definitely time to give up on the division, though. Detroit has enough left to limp to the finish line, and the easiest remaining schedule.

"Don't look so frightened, this is just a passing phase,
one of my bad days.."

JB98
09-08-2006, 12:05 AM
It's been like that for a while now. At least since the start of August.

He had 19 RBIs in August. I didn't think he had a poor month at all. But the road trip was not good, and he missed an opportunity to get us back in the game tonight as well.

kitekrazy
09-08-2006, 12:07 AM
I hate when people make excuses for Buehrle so much when he gets pounded. "There must be something bothering him". No, there's nothing. He's already stated that he feels fine physically.

I think he was due for a bad year. It happens.

EndemicSox
09-08-2006, 12:09 AM
Cliff Lee can be tough at times, but man, another golden opportunity flushed down the toilet.

Martinigirl
09-08-2006, 12:09 AM
I never thought I would say this, but I don't know if we deserve to play in October at this point. One day we seem like we are back on track, only to then derail for another 5 day period. Then again, the teams we are fighting for the Wild Card with don't seem any better, so who knows.

I was scared going into this series because I knew the Indians would be hyped up at the thought of getting revenge for last September. And it doesn't look like we are hyped about anything, it is like we are sleepwalking through games. I was hoping the crowd might wake them up, but it seems that once we get down by a run (normally in the first inning), the whole stadium turns into a funeral home.

This whole thing is just sad, because I know that they are a much better team than this, just think about how dominating they were earlier in the year. I can't comprehend how we got this ineffectual this fast.

JB98
09-08-2006, 12:10 AM

I agree. Every time one of our pitchers gets beat, we rationalize that the guy must be injured. What the **** are we? Cubs fans? Buerhle just didn't pitch well. When Contreras was getting roughed up, we all assured each other that Jose was injured. Was he injured last night too when he completely mowed down the Red Sox? I didn't read any posts about it in the postgame thread.

0o0o0
09-08-2006, 12:11 AM
Giving up on the team makes no sense. If we can win one more game than the Twins over the next 22 then we are in the playoffs, and we're way overdue to play better.

We were "way overdue to play better" a while ago. If only it worked that way.

Beer Can Chicken
09-08-2006, 12:12 AM
funny i said today i felt bad for the people who went to the game. that they should get a refund after.

i should request a refund. it was so bad i couldnt get drunk.

JB98
09-08-2006, 12:12 AM
I never thought I would say this, but I don't know if we deserve to play in October at this point. One day we seem like we are back on track, only to then derail for another 5 day period. Then again, the teams we are fighting for the Wild Card with don't seem any better, so who knows.

I was scared going into this series because I knew the Indians would be hyped up at the thought of getting revenge for last September. And it doesn't look like we are hyped about anything, it is like we are sleepwalking through games. I was hoping the crowd might wake them up, but it seems that once we get down by a run (normally in the first inning), the whole stadium turns into a funeral home.

This whole thing is just sad, because I know that they are a much better team than this, just think about how dominating they were earlier in the year. I can't comprehend how we got this ineffectual this fast.

If we win one more game than the Twins, we deserve to play in October. And vice versa. That's the bottom line.

Chicken Dinner
09-08-2006, 12:15 AM
Bad pitching+no offense+bad managing=Looser. Simple

Martinigirl
09-08-2006, 12:17 AM
If we win one more game than the Twins, we deserve to play in October. And vice versa. That's the bottom line.

I understand that logically, but when I see how we are playing, I don't feel like we deserve it. I am not saying I won't change my mind, but at this moment, this is how I feel.

Chicken Dinner
09-08-2006, 12:19 AM

But you don't go very far after that.

JB98
09-08-2006, 12:20 AM
I understand that logically, but when I see how we are playing, I don't feel like we deserve it. I am not saying I won't change my mind, but at this moment, this is how I feel.

The Twins fans probably aren't feeling much differently tonight. They got their asses kicked as well.

JB98
09-08-2006, 12:21 AM
But you don't go very far after that.

The playoffs are a different game. The regular season means nothing, if you get to October.

Chicken Dinner
09-08-2006, 12:28 AM
The playoffs are a different game. The regular season means nothing, if you get to October.

And you think that what you've seen in the last 2 weeks means nothing? Flat, under-performers have NEVER won anything.

JB98
09-08-2006, 12:31 AM
And you think that what you've seen in the last 2 weeks means nothing? Flat, under-performers have NEVER won anything.

You mean besides the 2005 Sox, who lost two out of three in Kansas City in the heat of a September pennant race, just like this club did?

MeteorsSox4367
09-08-2006, 12:31 AM
I like Konerko, but if I have to watch him flip his bat in disgust after popping up or making another unproductive out with runners on base again, I'm gonna bloody lose it.

Hawk always says, "Paulie just missed it."

That's fine for a Sunday game in May against Toronto. Not now when the season is on the line.

I'm greedy; the Sox won it last year and I want another one this year. It can still be done.

Frankfan4life
09-08-2006, 12:32 AM
What an awful game. Beautiful night, awful game. I felt like the players should have been standing at the exits, handing each of us a twenty-dollar bill on our way out and saying 'sorry about that, drinks are on us tonight.' Seems like the least they could have done...I feel for you, buddy. I feel cheated too. The Sox just sucked the life out of their fans the way they played today.

MrX
09-08-2006, 12:34 AM
The starters do enough on their own to increase their ERAs. Maybe they should try not letting guys get on base so often if that's bothering them.

mrs. hendu
09-08-2006, 12:39 AM
Just got back from the game. Everybody seemed lifeless - the team and fans (even before we were losing real bad). One of the least entertaining games I've been to. :(:

Lip Man 1
09-08-2006, 12:41 AM
Meteor:

I'd be more then satisfied if they could just MAKE the post season in consecutive years for the first time in franchise history. If they went three and out, so be it...at least they got there.

Lip

MeteorsSox4367
09-08-2006, 12:45 AM
Lip: I'm with you in the sense that I'd love to see the Sox get in again. Back-to-back playoffs? Sounds good to me.

It's just so frustrating to see how inconsistently they're playing and that there are no other teams in the AL that I would truly fear in the playoffs. It just seems that there is so much within their grasp.

CPditka
09-08-2006, 12:45 AM
Im in agreement, one of the least entertaing games Ive ever been to. It looked like the Sox just mailed it in. Gross. Seriously gross. Not even entertaining, let alone exciting, or better yet a win.
Gross.

kobo
09-08-2006, 12:50 AM
Maybe I shouldn't be surprised at anything they do anymore

I know that I am not surprised anymore. The most frustrating aspect of this season has been the inconsistent play. Ever since the Cubs series this team has not played anywhere near their potential. They show flashes of brilliance, then have a game like tonight. They are consistently inconsistent. At this point I almost don't care if they make the playoffs, because who knows what team is going to show up. Just frustrating.

TaquitoElGoocho
09-08-2006, 01:07 AM
Just got back from this very disappointing game. Had to wait until the fifth inning for the Sox to even get a hit...way too long. Sad to say that the "game" highlight was the dessert cart rolled over to the suite.

The Dude
09-08-2006, 01:07 AM
Today sucked....tomorrow can't be worse. Lets get 3 of 4 guys!

TaylorStSox
09-08-2006, 01:08 AM
Go ahead and quit.

CaptainBallz
09-08-2006, 01:10 AM

Ugh. That sounds exactly like my experience when they got blown out by KC 10-0 (10-4 after Cintron's pointless slam). It's almost insulting sometimes.

I'll tell you one thing, there is much, much more than a pennant race riding on these next few weeks.
If this team with this payroll without any MAJOR injuries in the heat of a pennant race can't muster up a halfway decent performance in front of a home crowd against some loser cellar dwellar, they will get hit HARD in the pocketbooks next season. There will be serious issues noob season ticket holders will have with renewing their accounts just to watch what should be an amazing team not give a rat's ass. That goes for any other fans too. This team HAS it and is DECIDING to not use it. It's just absurd.

These player's are tainting their legacies with this ****. Why do that? How tired can they possibly ****ing be??

Win the next 3 and shut me up...

Martinigirl
09-08-2006, 01:23 AM
Ugh. That sounds exactly like my experience when they got blown out by KC 10-0 (10-4 after Cintron's pointless slam). It's almost insulting sometimes.

I was there for that game, and it truly was awful. But for some reason the game that really sticks out for me, as far as painful to watch and see live, was the Friday night Red Sox game in July. I don't know what it was, but it was like the players were in a coma, and the crowd was just dead, except for the obnoxious Red Sox fans. They weren't playing the songs when the batters went up to bat, it was really, really odd and completely depressing.

So I can only imagine how bad tonight was.

MILTMAY5
09-08-2006, 01:59 AM
I don't know what to say anymore about this team and these players.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised at anything they do anymore but I was shocked they were so flat, so disinterested.

More bad baseball, bad pitching, no hitting, baserunning blunders and another 'nagging' injury (Crede) disrupting the lineup.

That about sums it up.

22 games left.

We'll see what happens.

Very, very disappointed by the effort this evening.

LipI keep hearing from Hawk and others that these guys care and want desperately to win. I'm not seeing it.

CYGarland20
09-08-2006, 03:48 AM
This team is about as inconsistent as they come. One night they pummel the opponent, the next night THEY get pummeled. It's become EXTREMELY obvious that they are nothing more than a .500 team at this point, and that's debatable. Let's just hope so are the Twins, and we JUST happen to win one more than them.

aryzner
09-08-2006, 03:49 AM
I was at the game. Yes, it sucked.

As a side note...

Buehrle should have drilled Martinez for taking 10 years to get back to the box in that one at-bat.

If he had drilled him in his next at-bat, he wouldn't have hit that home run. :cool:

Okay sorry, just had to rant about how that delay he pulled made me kind of mad.

Jurr
09-08-2006, 06:33 AM
I'm with lip on this one. This team is very irritating to watch and their inconsistency is baffling.

I'm still with the opinion that their lack of a uniform, steady approach is what's killing the team. No tone has been set, and it's killing their production.

Sigh.

Dan H
09-08-2006, 07:24 AM
We keep waiting for the White Sox turn it around and we are still waiting. They are not going to turn it around. Nothing in their play or demeanor indicates they want to defend this championship.

Maybe Buehrle's back is the problem. If it is, time to take him out of the rotation. Any green rookie they just brought up can give up 10 hits in four innings. Eight game winning streak? You won't get it with Buehrle going every fifth day. That is painful to say because he has been so good for so long. But he just doesn't have it right now and he is not going to get in next four or so starts.

I see no life in this team. They picked the worst time of the year to go through another slump.

Only 22 games and then we will be put out of our misery. Anyone who thinks this team is going to the playoffs is crazy. As time goes on, they just get worse. They almost look as bad as the Cubs or the 1970 team.

wassagstdu
09-08-2006, 07:35 AM
Bad pitching+no offense+bad managing=Looser. Simple
Also, Bad pitching+no offense+the greatest managing possible=Loser too.

The fat lady is clearing her throat.

Maybe this is what went wrong: The Sox have about the strongest bench in mlb this year. Looking at that, Ozzie decided to capitalize on it by resting the starters on a regular basis all year. That way in August and September, when thinner teams are tiring, the Sox would be fresh and make their move. Also, instead of having to pace themselves in games, the starters could go all out all year, knowing they would be able to rest regularly. Instead, being rested too often may have the effect of increasing things like back strains and mild muscle pulls, so instead of being fresher, the Sox are more prone to nagging injuries. I think it was a good strategy, or certainly seemed like one (to me too). But the fact is that in the long season it is better to go at a constant pace than to turn it on and off every few days.

Frontman
09-08-2006, 07:37 AM
Talk about baserunning blunders... how do you forget how many outs there are? For JD of all people, the MVP??

That blunder pretty much will kill his chances of winning MVP. They'll lock into that play even if he hit an HR every night for the rest of the run.

bryPt
09-08-2006, 07:41 AM
we are no better than the Cubs right now. I am seeing a lifeless team out there, just going through the paces darn near like the Cubs are in their attempts to get their trainwreck of a season over with as soon as possible. The difference is, if the would have won 4 out of the last eight, they would be right freakin there. And since game 80 or so, we have been waiting for this team to turn it on, "they aren't even playing their best ball yet, they haven't hit their stride" and stuff like that. I am seeing a tired team out there. It is incredibly hard to repeat, and I think it is only human nature to let the highs of last year take something out of you the next year. If I won the PGA championship, the next 2 or 3 tourneys I would be like in a daze still. You work and entire year and win the world series, it is going to take even longer to get your focus back. They guys are only human.

But then you have guys like MJ and Tiger that can just keep it going at the highest level and they put my argument to rest. Maybe they are not human? :D:

I think this year is over, I am going to keep watching and living on every pitch, but I just don't think they will make the playoffs, and if they do, they will be one limping, beat up bunch when they get there. I still love them, and will always be thankful that I got to see a WS win in my lifetime. I will always be a Sox fan until I am taking a dirt nap for eternity!

Now go out there and make me wrong and win it again boys!

russ99
09-08-2006, 08:56 AM
Grasping at straws - maybe the team needs to all shave their heads! :D:

Can't be any worse than now, and at least we'd all get some entertainment.

jenn2080
09-08-2006, 09:02 AM
We keep waiting for the White Sox turn it around and we are still waiting. They are not going to turn it around. Nothing in their play or demeanor indicates they want to defend this championship.

Maybe Buehrle's back is the problem. If it is, time to take him out of the rotation. Any green rookie they just brought up can give up 10 hits in four innings. Eight game winning streak? You won't get it with Buehrle going every fifth day. That is painful to say because he has been so good for so long. But he just doesn't have it right now and he is not going to get in next four or so starts.

I see no life in this team. They picked the worst time of the year to go through another slump.

Only 22 games and then we will be put out of our misery. Anyone who thinks this team is going to the playoffs is crazy. As time goes on, they just get worse. They almost look as bad as the Cubs or the 1970 team.

Not only Buehrle but Freddy too. Freddy is killing us just as much.

samram
09-08-2006, 09:17 AM

You're right that there probably isn't a run left in them, but I still think they can back into the playoffs. It sure as hell doesn't look like they're going to take charge and win it by going 17-5 or anything like that.

bryPt
09-08-2006, 09:23 AM
Not only Buehrle but Freddy too. Freddy is killing us just as much.

Oy, and I got tickets tonight and Freddie is pitching. Big enough game for ya Freddie?

jenn2080
09-08-2006, 09:30 AM
Oy, and I got tickets tonight and Freddie is pitching. Big enough game for ya Freddie?

I do to. Thankfully it is a patio party and I will tipsy!

itsnotrequired
09-08-2006, 09:33 AM
First game ever in Club Seats and I was ready to heave myself into the lower deck.

Sig update time...

viagracat
09-08-2006, 10:04 AM
Freddy, are you listening?

IF the Sox do not win tonight, you will not gain any ground on at least one of the teams ahead of you this weekend regardless of what happens. This series, as well as the concurrent Twins-Tigers series where you were guaranteed to gain ground with every win, will become useless in terms of making up anything in terms of getting into the postseason; four games are off the schedule after this weekend and all the other scenarios are even worse. You have a tough West Coast trip coming up right after this series and face generally tough teams the rest of the year.

Big enough game for you?

TommyJohn
09-08-2006, 10:17 AM

I understand your frustration but I think saying that they look almost as
bad as the 1970 squad is stretching things a bit. Granted I am too young
to remember that team (typing the words "too young to remember" felt
good) but I'll take where they are at now over 56-106. I doubt any Sox
team could look or play as bad as that one.

That being said, the frustrating part for me is I do remember all those
years where they were so far out of it by the All-Star break that they
needed a telescope to see first place. Then, after the ASB, they catch
fire and go on tear, playing like contenders. 1987, 1998 and 2003 come
immediately to mind.

It is still too early to give up, though! Remember last year? A losing August,
then a so-so September until they caught fire, won their last six in a row
then went 11-1 in the postseason. Also, the team WAS one of the best in
baseball before the ASB, so they DO have it in them to put that kind of
streak together again. Will they? That's another question. I hope they
do, or my life as I know it is over. (teal?)

0o0o0
09-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Freddy, are you listening?

IF the Sox do not win tonight, you will not gain any ground on at least one of the teams ahead of you this weekend regardless of what happens. This series, as well as the concurrent Twins-Tigers series where you were guaranteed to gain ground with every win, will become useless in terms of making up anything in terms of getting into the postseason; four games are off the schedule after this weekend and all the other scenarios are even worse. You have a tough West Coast trip coming up right after this series and face generally tough teams the rest of the year.

Big enough game for you?

He'll let you know after the game, depending on the result.

kobo
09-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Also, Bad pitching+no offense+the greatest managing possible=Loser too.

The fat lady is clearing her throat.

Maybe this is what went wrong: The Sox have about the strongest bench in mlb this year. Looking at that, Ozzie decided to capitalize on it by resting the starters on a regular basis all year. That way in August and September, when thinner teams are tiring, the Sox would be fresh and make their move. Also, instead of having to pace themselves in games, the starters could go all out all year, knowing they would be able to rest regularly. Instead, being rested too often may have the effect of increasing things like back strains and mild muscle pulls, so instead of being fresher, the Sox are more prone to nagging injuries. I think it was a good strategy, or certainly seemed like one (to me too). But the fact is that in the long season it is better to go at a constant pace than to turn it on and off every few days.

Ozzie did the same thing last year and that seemed to work out pretty well, didn't it? I don't think the resting of starters on a regular basis has anything to do with the lifeless play the team has showed lately. They are what, 6 games below .500 team over the second half of the season? I don't think that has anything to do with resting the starters. They are a good enough team where resting guys here and there shouldn't be a problem. They just can't get on a roll, and unless they do it now, which there is nothing to indicate that they will, they probably won't make the playoffs.

CaptainBallz
09-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Ozzie did the same thing last year and that seemed to work out pretty well, didn't it? I don't think the resting of starters on a regular basis has anything to do with the lifeless play the team has showed lately. They are what, 6 games below .500 team over the second half of the season? I don't think that has anything to do with resting the starters. They are a good enough team where resting guys here and there shouldn't be a problem. They just can't get on a roll, and unless they do it now, which there is nothing to indicate that they will, they probably won't make the playoffs.

Correct. There is nothing but a lack of motivation/ focus with this team right now. Nothing, I repeat NOTHING has happened to justify such disgustingly subpar play since the break.
The question truly is, do they even care? How does a team come out and make minced meat of an opponent they couldn't touch with a ten foot pole two days before and then the very next day not have a flipping clue what's happening with the whole "baseball-thing"?

I'm starting to lean towards an incredibly cancerous clubhouse that isn't being publicized being at the root of this. The cause of it I can't say. But I have a hard time believing that such a talented team can be so bipolar while exerting the same effort every day. They do quit. They sometimes don't even play. It's disgusting.

spiffie
09-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Correct. There is nothing but a lack of motivation/ focus with this team right now. Nothing, I repeat NOTHING has happened to justify such disgustingly subpar play since the break.
The question truly is, do they even care? How does a team come out and make minced meat of an opponent they couldn't touch with a ten foot pole two days before and then the very next day not have a flipping clue what's happening with the whole "baseball-thing"?

I'm starting to lean towards an incredibly cancerous clubhouse that isn't being publicized being at the root of this. The cause of it I can't say. But I have a hard time believing that such a talented team can be so bipolar while exerting the same effort every day. They do quit. They sometimes don't even play. It's disgusting.
I'm sure it has nothing to do with a mediocre pitching staff and anywhere from 3-5 gaping holes in the lineup depending on who the Dusty Dice decide will be out there on any given evening.

The problem with this team is that they are very flawed in execution this year. Guys who we thought would be great are just good, and guys we thought would be good are terrible. All the hugs and fiery speeches in the world won't make Scott Podsednik hit well, or Rob Mackowiak a good CF, or Juan Uribe a patient hitter, or Mark Buehrle stop hanging meatballs.

MsSoxVixen22
09-08-2006, 11:09 AM
This team is like a rollercoaster.....one minute they're up they they come back down just as quickly. If we loose all these games against Cleveland, it's pretty much a done deal. And what the hell is with Ozzie and these ****ed up lineups of his???? He should be putting his BEST team on the field! It almost makes me think that Ozzie has given up.

Regarding Hawk-I used to love Hawk but lately he's been getting on my last nerve. I hate when whenever we play Boston, all Hawk does is rattle on and on and on and on about Boston. If you like it so much-GO THERE! And stop talking about golf! It has nothing to do with baseball! I'd rather listen to Farmio and Singleton-at least they call the game!!

samram
09-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Regarding Hawk-I used to love Hawk but lately he's been getting on my last nerve. I hate when whenever we play Boston, all Hawk does is rattle on and on and on and on about Boston. If you like it so much-GO THERE! And stop talking about golf! It has nothing to do with baseball! I'd rather listen to Farmio and Singleton-at least they call the game!!

Since when? They spent two innings last night talking about giving blood. I'm sure there was ND talk inserted as well.

MsSoxVixen22
09-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Since when? They spent two innings last night talking about giving blood. I'm sure there was ND talk inserted as well.

Well, they sometimes do. :redface:

hawkjt
09-08-2006, 11:17 AM
It seems inconcievable that MB, they guy that had over 50+ quality or near quality starts in a row, is totally healthy and he is this bad.

It seems like it has to be mechanical the way he leaves the ball up so much.
I suppose it is just all those innings he had pitched over the last 5 years.
It is probably the most surprising thing to me about the whole season. Jose we have seen be bad for the stretch before his winning streak so I can understand his problems but MB had basically been the most consistent starter in baseball over the last five years and poof- its gone.

But- as long as we have a pulse and being .5 out of the playoffs is a strong pulse- cannot give up.
As far as who deserves to be in the playoffs right now- it is the Indians- but that is why we play 162.

It we make it -we deserve it.

Freddie- shock us and go out and shut them down. Miracles do occur once in a while.

Hang in there ,White Sox.....

CaptainBallz
09-08-2006, 11:18 AM
I'm sure it has nothing to do with a mediocre pitching staff and anywhere from 3-5 gaping holes in the lineup depending on who the Dusty Dice decide will be out there on any given evening.

The problem with this team is that they are very flawed in execution this year. Guys who we thought would be great are just good, and guys we thought would be good are terrible. All the hugs and fiery speeches in the world won't make Scott Podsednik hit well, or Rob Mackowiak a good CF, or Juan Uribe a patient hitter, or Mark Buehrle stop hanging meatballs.

We're basically saying the same thing, it's just that I along with many other people can't help but ask "Why?" Why is Pods completely useless? Why can't Buerhle stop hanging his business? Why has Ozzie refused to realize that Mack has no business in CF? You can't remove the mind from what's happening on the field. Plus, the underperforming isn't such an isolated ocurrence where you can simply say it's guys 1, 2, & 3. What many people are noticing is that the entire team often looks plain funky and lax. I think it would be foolish to rule out the possibility that their heads are somewhere else for whatever reason(s). It's just impossible to prove until somebody retires and writes a book.

Law11
09-08-2006, 11:44 AM
They'll win 8 in a row starting tonight...
And I'll win the spilt the pot and someone will offer me
scout seats for free all at tonight's game..

In reality I'll get my green sox cap tonight and hope Freddy doesnt give up more then 2 solo-homers and we win..

bluestar
09-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Blame Ozzie's lineups, blame Pods, blame Mackowiak, blame Uribe, blame whoever you want...it's still all about the starting pitching.

Before we even came to bat last night we were down 1 - 0. And if you saw Mark pitch, it was a matter of sitting and waiting for disaster to occur. He couldn't get the ball down, and it was obviously just a matter of time before he gave up more runs.

A familiar pattern has emerged over this season: when the hitters have no confidence in the pitching, they press. When they press, they fail.

This team is as good as the starting rotation will allow it to be. If Buehrle cannot pitch any better than he did last night, this team will not be capable of going on a sustained winning streak, because they are going to lose at least once every five games the remainder of the season. If Freddy goes out and serves up batting practice pitches again tonight and the remainder of his starts, they are going to lose at least twice every five games the remainder of the season. The same goes for the other starters.

I do not think there is a clubhouse cancer. I do not think Ozzie's lineup juggling is the cause of the problems. I do not think playing Mackowiak in CF is the problem, as much as I dislike it. I do think the starting pitching is the problem and has been all season long. If this team fails to make the playoffs, it will be because the starting pitching let them down.

Dan H
09-08-2006, 01:29 PM
I understand your frustration but I think saying that they look almost as
bad as the 1970 squad is stretching things a bit. Granted I am too young
to remember that team (typing the words "too young to remember" felt
good) but I'll take where they are at now over 56-106. I doubt any Sox
team could look or play as bad as that one.

That being said, the frustrating part for me is I do remember all those
years where they were so far out of it by the All-Star break that they
needed a telescope to see first place. Then, after the ASB, they catch
fire and go on tear, playing like contenders. 1987, 1998 and 2003 come
immediately to mind.

It is still too early to give up, though! Remember last year? A losing August,
then a so-so September until they caught fire, won their last six in a row
then went 11-1 in the postseason. Also, the team WAS one of the best in
baseball before the ASB, so they DO have it in them to put that kind of
streak together again. Will they? That's another question. I hope they
do, or my life as I know it is over. (teal?)

Believe me, I want this as badly you do, but I just don't see it. They need to win the next three against the Indians, but I can't see them winning three in a row against anyone. How do you start the most important home stand of the year with a 9-1 loss? How do you go into Boston and have your starting pitching give up three runs in 23 innings and you only win one of those games? How do you lay down and play dead for the Royals? The losses and missed opportunities to gain keep mounting and now there is only three weeks left in the season. This team is going nowhere. I will be glad to be proven wrong but the White Sox have gone south. Time to look at those '05 DVDs again.

TommyJohn
09-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Believe me, I want this as badly you do, but I just don't see it. They need to win the next three against the Indians, but I can't see them winning three in a row against anyone. How do you start the most important home stand of the year with a 9-1 loss? How do you go into Boston and have your starting pitching give up three runs in 23 innings and you only win one of those games? How do you lay down and play dead for the Royals? The losses and missed opportunities to gain keep mounting and now there is only three weeks left in the season. This team is going nowhere. I will be glad to be proven wrong but the White Sox have gone south. Time to look at those '05 DVDs again.

I won't be able to watch the 2005 DVD's until the postseason, ESPECIALLY
if the World Series winds up as Yankees vs. Mets. El barfo.

Baby Fisk
09-08-2006, 02:14 PM
http://www.energyenhancement.org/buddha1.jpg

This team is drifting.
One day focussed, one day not.
Man, I hate Pod Six.

southside rocks
09-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Blame Ozzie's lineups, blame Pods, blame Mackowiak, blame Uribe, blame whoever you want...it's still all about the starting pitching.

Before we even came to bat last night we were down 1 - 0. And if you saw Mark pitch, it was a matter of sitting and waiting for disaster to occur. He couldn't get the ball down, and it was obviously just a matter of time before he gave up more runs.

A familiar pattern has emerged over this season: when the hitters have no confidence in the pitching, they press. When they press, they fail.

This team is as good as the starting rotation will allow it to be. If Buehrle cannot pitch any better than he did last night, this team will not be capable of going on a sustained winning streak, because they are going to lose at least once every five games the remainder of the season. If Freddy goes out and serves up batting practice pitches again tonight and the remainder of his starts, they are going to lose at least twice every five games the remainder of the season. The same goes for the other starters.

I do not think there is a clubhouse cancer. I do not think Ozzie's lineup juggling is the cause of the problems. I do not think playing Mackowiak in CF is the problem, as much as I dislike it. I do think the starting pitching is the problem and has been all season long. If this team fails to make the playoffs, it will be because the starting pitching let them down.

This analysis gets my vote.

I went to the game last night, and it was probably evident to those watching on TV, but when MB gave up a run in the first -- and was lucky to get out without giving up more -- there was a HUGE 'here we go again' feeling hanging in the air; it was as visible as the full moon.

I can't believe that the team isn't affected by that.

The team members are as aware as anyone -- more aware, if that's possible -- that the pitching is the difference between the pennant-bound club of '05 and the floundering-but-still-in-it club of '06. The team literally holds its breath, I think, every single game, waiting to see what the starting pitcher is going to do. And when he starts the freaking game by hitting a batter on a 1-2 count and then giving up a single, the team thinks 'here we go again.'

And pretty much, after that, they beat themselves. With the starting pitcher usually leading the way.

When the starting pitcher opens the game by throwing 3 innings of scoreless baseball, the team relaxes and they start to play their good (or even excellent) brand of baseball.

It really is the pitching. Everything else is a very distant second.

The Immigrant
09-08-2006, 03:58 PM
When the starting pitcher opens the game by throwing 3 innings of scoreless baseball, the team relaxes and they start to play their good (or even excellent) brand of baseball.

It really is the pitching. Everything else is a very distant second.

I generally agree with this, but keep in mind that our offense has scored a 1st inning run exactly once over the last eleven games - on 8/29 against Tampa Bay. Since then, we have gone nine straight games without scoring a run in the 1st inning. The failure of our offense to put pressure on opposing pitchers makes it harder for our starters to relax and just go after hitters. It's easy to blame the starting pitchers for this - but in my mind the offense deserves at least equal blame.

Ol' No. 2
09-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Dead team walking

soxwon
09-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Official* When will we win 8 in a row again?

NEXT SEASON.!!!

TomBradley72
09-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Went to the game at the last minute last night...I was expecting a raucous crowd and our "A" line up as we head into what could be a great weekend...while we're winning the Tigers or Twins are losing every night.

The crowd was quiet/disinterested (half dead during the opening video, etc.)...Ozzie plays a line up that looked like a getaway day line up at the end of long road trip, Buehrle sucks, and none of our big hitters come through.

Felt exactly the same as September of 2003. Not a good feeling. Complete lack of any "magic" or momentum that goes with a pennant winning season.